• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs at SCEA today?

Duxxy3

The decisions by sony in the past year have just been mind boggling.

No price drop of a dying (potentially already dead) vita, price INCREASE on a cheaper to make PS3.

If they are attempting to leave the market then they are right on course for that.

Someone make up a similar euphemism of a company going under, like for nintendoomed, except for Sony. Condolences/best of luck to whoever was fired though, such a sad time for Sony ={
Disgrasony?
Fiascony?
S0wndy?
Collapsony?
Sonydammerung?
Adversony?
Cataclysony?
Tribulasony?
Ruinasony?

Nothing really works. Besides which, as much fun as it is to make fun of Sony and its disgraceful mismanagement, real people are losing their jobs and I don't see how this is going to help turn things around long-term.

Corto

Good luck to everyone involved. And didn't know this guy was a big proponent of Tokyo Jungle. He is cool in my book, if so.

The decisions by sony in the past year have just been mind boggling.

No price drop of a dying (potentially already dead) vita, price INCREASE on a cheaper to make PS3.

If they are attempting to leave the market then they are right on course for that.

Those are decisions of SCEI. SCEA has no choice but to work with what they got.

Massa

Indeed, at least Microsoft has the $199 option with the Xbox. I don't really know who's going to go for a PS3 this holiday season.

You can bet it will be cheaper this holiday season, they're keeping the new model at a higher price point so they can clear stock of the old ones. PS3's been selling way below expectations this year so their stock is not as low as they were expecting when they planned for the new one.

its kind of impressive jack tretton has been the head of SCEA for so long.

Probably the only SCE head who has been in the same job since before the ps3 launched.

I think its time ........

Anyway I hope Bend are not effected. SCEA dont give a shit about Vita so they might seem like a quick one to write off even though they are western sony's only dedicated portable studio.

Shinta

Banned
Indeed, at least Microsoft has the $199 option with the Xbox. I don't really know who's going to go for a PS3 this holiday season.

The price increase is pretty weird, but that $200 Xbox always seemed like a bit of a joke to me. To do anything with it you'd have to get a HDD at a later date for $100. That puts it over the PS3 cost, even with a much larger HDD and blu-ray player.

PS+ seems to be picking up steam, and having the larger HDD is nice for the game rentals and digital content.

I guess they feel their exclusive software lineup for 2012/2013 is strong enough that they feel comfortable with the current price ... for now.

Fox Mulder

The price increase is pretty weird, but that $200 Xbox always seemed like a bit of a joke to me. To do anything with it you'd have to get a HDD at a later date for $100. That puts it over the PS3 cost, even with a much larger HDD and blu-ray player.

PS+ seems to be picking up steam, and having the larger HDD is nice for the game rentals and digital content.

I guess they feel their exclusive software lineup for 2012/2013 is strong enough that they feel comfortable with the current price ... for now.

You can get a 360 hdd off eBay for like $60. Both need to be cheaper than they are though, we're entering goddamn holiday 2012. It feels like they're going to coast with bundles and be content with their current situations until new consoles launch.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
People get laid off all the time, even when times are good. My company lays people off every year, and every year its the "most successful year in our history" etc.

Well.....that's what restructurings are for. Getting leaner, cutting costs/waste etc.

Username quote.

GavinGT

Banned

Or just use a USB drive.

pramath

Banned
Disgrasony?
Fiascony?
S0wndy?
Collapsony?
Sonydammerung?
Adversony?
Cataclysony?
Tribulasony?
Ruinasony?

Nothing really works. Besides which, as much fun as it is to make fun of Sony and its disgraceful mismanagement, real people are losing their jobs and I don't see how this is going to help turn things around long-term.
Flopony?

You can get a 360 hdd off eBay for like $60. Both need to be cheaper than they are though, we're entering goddamn holiday 2012. It feels like they're going to coast with bundles and be content with their current situations until new consoles launch.

You can also use basically any USB stick to expand the memory as well. The ASP for the 360 has always been higher than the PS3 for as long as I remember.

On topic, Sony is in the Bay Area whith a dozen other game companies so hopefully these peeps find new homes soon.

Shadow780

Good luck Will, we will remember your bulge:

CDpB6.jpg

You can bet it will be cheaper this holiday season, they're keeping the new model at a higher price point so they can clear stock of the old ones. PS3's been selling way below expectations this year so their stock is not as low as they were expecting when they planned for the new one.
That's pretty much what is going on.

Agent X

Gold Member
UNCyrus, sorry to hear of this news. Good luck to you, as well as to anyone else who was affected by this.

Top Bottom