• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totally Games (Tie Fighter and X-Wing devs) developing for the Wii

Ark-AMN

Banned
Saw this Gamasutra job posting just now for a "Wii Programmer" position being offered:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/jobs_display.php3?job_id=11462
The Company:

Totally Games is Lawrence Holland’s highly respected independent game studio based just north of SF in Marin County, California. Best known for the X-Wing series, with 20+ years experience and numerous favorite titles to its credit, TG has long been a force in electronic entertainment.

Leveraging its experience and reputation, strong team of high caliber talent and state-of-the-art technology, Totally Games offers a unique workplace: the combination of a highly collaborative game development process where each individual counts, and a friendly, productive work environment.

Job Type: Full Time

The Position:
Wii Programmer

Totally Games, Lawrence Holland’s company of X-Wing fame, is accepting resumes from talented, seasoned videogame professionals for a full-time WII PROGRAMMER position. Totally Games has been in the games industry for more than 15 years, working with major publishers such as LucasArts, Activision, Disney and Sega. We’re seeking sharp, dedicated, visionary contributors to join our outstanding team.

Totally Games offers an excellent opportunity for a qualified wii Programmer to contribute significantly to diverse and important aspects of the project in a productive, team-oriented work environment.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Overall Game System Design:
· Design and implement game systems and features.
· Work with project manager, programmers, artists, and gameplay developers to develop overall project concepts.

Programming:
· Use tools like Visual C++, Codewarrior and other IDEs and tools in a Windows XP environment.
· Program in C++, Assembly language and scripting languages as appropriate
· Utilize middleware systems and technology as needed
· Use proprietary game development tools developed in house.
· Work with industry SDKs like Direct X.

Technology:
· Keep pace with latest game and software development tools and techniques.
· Stay up to date with gaming and software development on the Internet.
· Lead technical research on new platforms.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

· 2 - 3 years Game Programming experience
· 3 - 4 years Programming in the software industry
· 1 - 2 years specializing in one of the core areas of game programming
· At least one shipped Gamecube title. Wii knowledge beneficial.
· Significant Game system design/development experience
· Highly developed leadership skills required
· Mastery level skills in programming multiple features
· Knowledge of entertainment software industry, the marketplace, consumer trends and competitive products
· Mastery of version control software

Knowledge/Skill/Ability:
· Mastery of Object Oriented Programming.
· Experience in programming on Nintendo Gamecube
· Experience in programming with Visual C++ and DirectX
· Experience with Metrowerks Codewarrior
· Experience programming Window applications and console games
· Experience programming games professionally
· Ability to work with other programmers and game developers
· Strong experience with IBM PCs and Windows
· Proficient in using word processing, spreadsheet, and database software
· High enthusiasm for making and playing computer games

Due to the immediate nature of this position and current government employment-visa-sponsorship restrictions, we are unable to consider foreign candidates UNLESS they have an advanced degree from a US accredited university / college OR are able to work in the US on a contract basis as an independent consultant.

Relocation assistance is available to qualified candidates.

If you meet the noted qualifications and want to be part of a successful team offering a bright future then we want to hear from you!

Here's a small blurb from Wiki about the company:
Their titles included X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance (based on the Star Wars universe), series of World War II Flight Simulator series, the most recent being Secret Weapons over Normandy, and Bridge Commander based on the Star Trek universe. Totally Games was incorporated in 1994 by Lawrence Holland, a Cornell University graduate

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeah, I was wondering about that whole licensing thing. I'd hope that they could get on LucasArt's good side and get it going though.

Mashing

Ark-AMN said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that whole licensing thing. I'd hope that they could get on LucasArt's good side and get it going though.

Totally Games isn't on good terms with LucasArts anymore?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Lol, I dont know that. I was just saying that they would hopefully be on good enough terms to be able to get the Star Wars license from them once more.

FightyF

Banned
Mashing said:
Tie Fighter Wii = Console war over... Wii wins.

At first I was going to agree. Then I realized that the game would be in SD...and I can't say that it would be on an online service like Live. :/

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
And then there'd be the issue of the oh so many controls that X-Wing and TIE Fighter needed. Wonder if any consoles would be able to work around it without a keyboard or having to eliminate/condense a few things.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I realize this isn't very relevant to today, but their X-Wing games were some of the best ever released on the PC. I'm curious.

Grayman

too bad i stopped caring about wii a month ago.

and if they aren't on good enough terms to get a x-wing vs. tie game meh.

Awesome... though I hope for better than Secret Weapons over Normandy. That game was so hugely dissapointing compared to Totally Games incredible record with Star Wars games... :(

TIE Fighter is still one of the best games ever made, though, so if they can come closer to that level than they managed last time this is definitely good news.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So who the hell is doing the Wii Starwars game anyway. I was thinking Free Radical (what with their third person engine and all) but maybe there's a solid air combat component, too. This would be nice. Any kind of space sim with the Wiimote would be nice, actually.

Top Bottom