• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 4! What will you play first? SP, MP, SO, or COOP

Trickster

Campaign on heroic. Like I do with every new halo game. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth into the MP part afterwards though, looks really good.

Thats what legendary is for. And skulls.

Solo legendary is there for masochists, and those seeking nirvana.

Don't get me started on skulls. I know some certainly must make the game harder. Others? Not so much.

I only recently made it all the way through CE on legendary for the first time. I had previously been through several times on Heroic, including a run immediately preceding my run through legendary, and had played Pillar of Autumn on legendary once or twice, but never beyond that. Didn't think I would survive, given how much I struggled (the first time) on T&R during Heroic, particularly in the fights preceding and following the grav lift. But I made it through legendary with only a few spots that were impossible if not for my T-16 and bullseyeing skills.

Anyway, during one such trouble spot, I looked for a tip on surviving, the only time I recall looking for any tip. I found a video of some dude apparently playing all the way through the level (TTB) on legendary, and he had the bandanna and boom skulls turned on. :| That's cheating! In my view, that run through legendary also shouldn't count.

But after I was done with my legendary run, I went and sought out the bandanna skull and then activated it just to test my assumption. Completed a full run through heroic (third consecutive run through CE, what a glorious summer!) with it on and, as I suspected, it basically ruined the game. I could have been playing on Easy as far as I knew. There was no joy in never having to worry about ammo, never managing your weapon set, never worrying about the next encounter with Elites as you could simply snipe them at will from afar or plasma grenade them to death from up close (but not too close).

Bah, skulls. Play the game like it's meant to be played. (Also means solo, forever alone.)

TCKaos

Legendary campaign with my brother, like we always do.

Then we get up in our new Mark VI and roll on in to Spartan Ops or War Games.

Probably a few games of multiplayer, then straight to single-player. I've never played a game in this order before but I'm too curious about the changes to multi.

D3VI0US

I'll play multi first, just dive right in, after I've had enough I'll play the first level of SP on Legendary of course and then call it a night. I enjoy multi more and will spend probably 80% of my time playing it. I'll play through the rest of the SP at a crawl, not getting in long sessions until the weekend. Probably be done with SP in about a month and then move on to SO. Might be motivated to play SP faster to play SO with friends but I'll be playing multi for a long long time.

Mr Jared

I tend to play Halo campaigns twice over before touching anything else. The first time typically on Normal so I can take my time, absorb the fiction and focus on the story, then again on Heroic for the fun of it.

Then nothing but multiplayer. I tend to not do co-op in Halo campaigns.

Drakeon

Shit, probably SP, I really want to try spartan ops and mp too, but I don't want jackasses spoiling SP for me on XBL either. Although there is the mute all option that halo has, comes in real handy. Plus I just want to see what the SP is about, it's got me really intrigued.

Ever since the release of Halo 2, it's been tradition with my friends to play co-op Campaign on Legendary until we beat it. However, this year we're probably going to play on Heroic our first run, and then tackle Legendary periodically after that.

Right after our run in Campaign, I usually take a quick nap then jump into Forge to check out the new maps and Forge palette. And finally spend the rest of the day killing scrubs in MP.

EDIT: As for SpOps, we'll probably do that before we play MP, idk.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Solo Legendary. Same as I did with Reach. I have to find out what happens to the cyborg chef and the blue lady from that Avatar movie.

Bah, skulls. Play the game like it's meant to be played. (Also means solo, forever alone.)
Cool story bro (honestly, I love battle stories).

I'm with you, bandanna does feel cheap. The only skulls I use in Halo games are the fun ones like Grunt Birthday Party and IWHBYD, mostly because the people I co-op with aren't the greatest at Halo ;P

Now that you've tackled Anniversary Legendary I'd recommend Halo 3. Scenarios in that game will push your creativity to its limit and wild shenanigans to be remember'd are all but guaranteed.

Now that you've tackled Anniversary Legendary I'd recommend Halo 3. Scenarios in that game will push your creativity to its limit and wild shenanigans to be remember'd are all but guaranteed.

Honestly, I'll let you in on a little secret between me, you, and the wall here, but I've never played 2+ all the way through on anything other than normal. I think I played the opening mission or two on 2 on Heroic once, but not more. I just don't like those games enough to warrant challenging/frustrating myself. Heck, I didn't even bother replaying ODST (terrible) or Reach at all.

Dadgummit, now I've gone and ruined my positive vibe. My fault, my fault.

First 3 hours Single player Heroic.
Then multiplayer for like 2 hours then back to sleep rinse and repeat untill campaign is done then it will be 1 hour spartan ops when new episode come in and the rest of the time multi.

And if multi gets boring like Reach after 3 weeks then i can always get black ops 2.

My friend and I are lore-junkies so of course we'll be going through the campaign on coop. Normal, though. We want a smooth story, no frustration, but no ridiculous ease so there is no challenge to combat.

Sobriquet

I like to play through campaign by myself first. But since Halo 3 I tend to get tons of invites to play multiplayer with friends. So I do that. I'll at least start the campaign first.

dmr87

If you can find a 360 on the cheap it's definitely worth it. Get a buddy to play co-op with you if you can.

Bought the first Xbox back in the day just for Halo CE but I never continued with the games so if I'm gonna dip in now I'll go with the Anniversary Edition for CE.

Is it split-screen only co-op or can you play online with a buddy? I really don't like splitting the image on one TV.

Also, would I want to play Reach and ODST? I feel like I only care about Master Chief.

Mothman91

Depends on what my other friends are doing. For Reach, they went straight into Co-op, so I joined them. Maybe it'll be different this time.

Oozer3993

Bought the first Xbox back in the day just for Halo CE but I never continued with the games so if I'm gonna dip in now I'll go with the Anniversary Edition for CE.

Is it split-screen only co-op or can you play online with a buddy? I really don't like splitting the image on one TV.

Also, would I want to play Reach and ODST? I feel like I only care about Master Chief.

Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 support 4 player co-op over Xbox Live. Anniversary does 2 player over Live.

Reach and ODST won't be strictly necessary to understand anything in 4, and they might not appeal to you much seeing as they are devoid of the Chief, but they're both solid campaigns.

dmr87

Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 support 4 player co-op over Xbox Live. Anniversary does 2 player over Live.

Reach and ODST won't be strictly necessary to understand anything in 4, and they might not appeal to you much seeing as they are devoid of the Chief, but they're both solid campaigns.

Thanks!

edit - 250gb slim, Halo 1-3 ordered. Oh dear.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Campaign on Heroic solo. Then multiplayer. And I'll get to Spartan Ops sometime within the first week, whenever my buddy has some free time. I'll eventually revisit campaign many times over -- beating it on Legendary, running through it on co-op, searching for terminals, etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
single player on the lowest difficulty !
Why...? Just to go sight seeing? If the past games are any indication, you can almost literally ignore the enemies and make it out alive.

Probably multi and SpOps. Will do a solo legendary run on the weekend. :)
Spartan Ops takes place after the main campaign, and 343 folks have said that it will contain spoilers. So, if you care about that stuff, beware.

C4Lukins

Campaign first. It will be dependent on whether or not my friends with careers and children now want to play coop with me at midnight or if I go it alone on Heroic. I sort of prefer solo though so I can take my time and absorb every inch of the game. But then again, experiencing it with a friend has its own rewards.

DocSeuss

Since Heroic is apparently the new Normal, I'm wondering if I should play on Heroic or Normal.

Obviously, I'm going SP first. Like... every other Halo game, I probably won't touch the MP all that much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Correct order for spoiler people (there are no GIANT spoilers in Spartan Ops, beyond the continued existence of a couple of characters and objects, but it is set six months after H4):

1. Campaign Heroic
2. SpoPs
3. MP
4. Spops Episode 2
5. Campaign Legendary Co-Op
6. MP career progress
7. Rinse

Campaign, probably on heroic. Legendary is not enjoyable for me on a first play through and normal will likely be too little of a challenge. Then I'll immediately jump into matchmaking. No spartan ops unless friends are on and specifically want to go through it right away.
then realize it's not halo and jump off a bridge lol
<--kidding

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Campaign Legendary Solo.
I am taking two vacation days to beat the game.

single player followed by spartan ops and maybe finished off with a dip into multiplayer.

regarding spartan ops, is it a season pass like the one recently announced for forza horizon or is it free for everyone?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, I might do Spartan Ops before MP just to unlock the Battle Rifle, haha.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
single player followed by spartan ops and maybe finished off with a dip into multiplayer.

regarding spartan ops, is it a season pass like the one recently announced for forza horizon or is it free for everyone?

Spops is free for everyone who purchases the game, either regular or LE, with the caveat that it is MP and streaming content so you need XBL Gold. It is a total of ten episodes of fiction, with five missions of gameplay per mission - a total of fifty missions with wildly varying gameplay. It is about the length of a regular Campaign and supports matchmaking and up to four players. Episodes will air weekly and you can play them when you're ready, and missions support difficulty levels too.

Locations are often created specifically for Spops, with exceptions being plot related moments where you
and your squad return to important Requiem locations or plot points that are featured in Campaign

Spops gameplay takes place six months after the events of Campaign and may be spoilery for some, so it is advised to play Campaign first, but not essential.

Top Bottom