• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave |OT| An original eShop JRPG (Free demo available)

d+pad

honorless: If I'm remembering correctly, I didn't buy Barriers before facing that boss. Rather, I believe I had two or three in my inventory that either had been dropped by fallen enemies or found in treasure chests. I believe I only used one against him during my victorious battle, though, so as long as you can find a way to get one into your inventory, it should help at least a bit.

Also, I'm pretty sure I was at a higher level than you are when you faced him. Also, my party was quite a bit more offensive-focused than yours seems to be currently. (I had two 'Rising Flames' and two 'Fire Walls,' I believe.)

Not sure if any of that info will help you or not, but I hope it will!

Cherubae

I figured out why the All Treasure ability keeps greying-out; turns out that it costs a full AP bar to cast. The shop doesn't sell AP-restorative items so I have to be careful to not start out using auto attack when All Treasure is in my party, else he'll cast his spell (even on the dumbest of monsters) and deplete his AP. Luckily you can manually set an attack command on Denpas and then use auto-attack for the rest of the party.

Bururian said:
No need to be rude, could have just answered.

It's okay, he has the comprehension problem. You're referring to QRs in general and he quoted a sentence regarding the post about the free QR code for Denpa Men 2, which you aren't even playing.

Bururian

I figured out why the All Treasure ability keeps greying-out; turns out that it costs a full AP bar to cast. The shop doesn't sell AP-restorative items so I have to be careful to not start out using auto attack when All Treasure is in my party, else he'll cast his spell (even on the dumbest of monsters) and deplete his AP. Luckily you can manually set an attack command on Denpas and then use auto-attack for the rest of the party.

It's okay, he has the comprehension problem. You're referring to QRs in general and he quoted a sentence regarding the post about the free QR code for Denpa Men 2, which you aren't even playing.

I'm only confused because I wasn't referring to that QR code at all. I scanned a friend's QR code for a Denpa who would double the coin output at the end of the battle. The Denpa transferred over, but not the ability, just the 'root antenna'.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Not sure if any of that info will help you or not, but I hope it will!
Whoops, I probably should have been clearer in my post. I've already beaten him. I was posting the skills/approximate level I had success with for anyone who's having trouble.

d+pad

Whoops, I probably should have been clearer in my post. I've already beaten him. I was posting the skills/approximate level I had success with for anyone who's having trouble.

Ah! Another instance of reading comprehension failure :(

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to beat him. Onward and upward and all of that :p

d+pad

So, I just posted photos of a few more QR codes on my blog. Here's a link, in case anyone is interested: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2012/10/a-few-more-qr-codes-for-denpa-men-fans.html

I'd really love it if people would share QR codes of some of their favorite 'Denpa' men either here or in the comments section of the above-mentioned blog post, by the way. Yes, I know some QR codes can be found on, say, this title's GameFAQs board, but there are many more 'Denpa' men out there that have yet to be shared.

I'm especially interested in cute or funny 'Denpa' men but, really, I'll take anything I can get at this point :)

honorless

Beat the game. In your FACE, evil jerk.

...I'm half disappointed because I was certain I'd have to go re-capture a particular guy on the way to work in order to pull it off, so I dismissed somebody else...then went into the dungeon anyway because I realized I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't at least try.

The ending is so
adorable it nearly killed me. I normally pooh-pooh the institution of marriage but in this case AWWW OF COURSE I'LL HELP YOU :*)

So I'm guessing my All Treasure is the lower form of Always Treasure? Does anyone know the difference between them?
I...honestly thought you were just remembering the ability name incorrectly. Are you sure it's not Always Treasure?

d+pad

Congrats honorless! I'm nearing the end myself, but now that I'm edging closer I'm purposely slowing down a bit -- because I don't want the game to end, etc.

Random aside: I've somehow become a bit enamored with the game's triangular headed "Denpa" men. I say "somehow" because I used to be kind of disgusted by them.

Anyway, I caught a load of them -- in all different colors and with all sorts of skills -- while being driven around the city the other day. Maybe I'll snap photos of them and their QR codes in the next few days, plop them into a blog post and share them here.

On a related note: I guess no one else wants to share QR codes of their personal favorite "Denpa" men? :(

Hmmm, I'm beginning to wonder if the Always Treasure ability can actually net you any clothes.

The item(s) you get when you use the ability do not count as a standard item drop since you can actually get more items than the amount of enemies when you use the ability. Every time I got a clothing drop when I used the ability, it's been in addition to the more common item from the enemy which leads me to believe that you might not be able to get clothes with that power.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

honorless

On a related note: I guess no one else wants to share QR codes of their personal favorite "Denpa" men? :(
Sure, why not. Here's some guys I found useful and/or interesting-looking. I'm not using anyone else's QR codes so they probably don't measure up to the crowdsourced list at GameFAQs, just as a warning.

http://i.minus.com/iHgq8eHNSYGUY.jpg
Timmy was my main physical attacker during the early game. It's too bad you don't get the PC directly after beating the demo, but his green stripes could still come in handy.

http://i.minus.com/ibiQ18UZcO9OxK.jpg
I found Great Chain (All) pretty useful*. Danny is sturdy enough to stay alive and even get some half-decent attacks in after using it, plus his alignments are perfect for Ice Dragons.
* For some reason, the ability doesn't take effect until the turn AFTER it is cast, which seems like a bug.

http://i.minus.com/iuXxQy2BajXPA.jpg
I only caught Sage because I like star-headed guys, but his stats made him into a tank with stats similar to Timmy's. (More HP and defense, less attack and speed.) Plus his white stripes make him a bit more useful.

http://i.minus.com/iMQkYU4tArPug.jpg
Lane is plain but his HP and attack are the same as Sage's, which is CRAZY GOOD for someone with an antenna. I was shocked since every other Hot Blanket (All) guy I found was teeny tiny. You want this guy on your team if you're traveling to a dungeon where you might get frozen.

http://i.minus.com/ikNT4Dv5fx1Mn.jpg
Lukas's stats aren't great, and so far it hasn't been efficient for a dude and his skill to be the same element unless both are Light. But man, LOOK at him. He's the perfect embodiment of a capricious wind. Downburst, wind alignment, aerodynamic head, small stature, master of mischief grin, even the matching freaking pilot goggles. Plus he has a cool name and he's from my neighborhood. I can't ditch him.

I found Great Chain (All) pretty useful*. Danny is sturdy enough to stay alive and even get some half-decent attacks in after using it, plus his alignments are perfect for Ice Dragons.
* For some reason, the ability doesn't take effect until the turn AFTER it is cast, which seems like a bug.

I think the turn order is set for that turn after all commands are in, so not sure if that's a bug per se

honorless

I think the turn order is set for that turn after all commands are in, so not sure if that's a bug per se
I thought this might be the case, but I switched to a guy with Great Haste (All) for the final boss due to elemental affinities, and that seemed to take effect on the turn it was cast.

I'll have to do some experimentation in the other dungeons to be sure since I wasn't paying the closest attention to turn order. Could be remembering things wrong. But it seems odd in the context of the other abilities—I haven't tried most of them, but Burn, Sleep and Great Weaken (attack down) affect enemies immediately. So why does Great Chain (speed down) wait a turn?

Cherubae

I...honestly thought you were just remembering the ability name incorrectly. Are you sure it's not Always Treasure?

You're right - apparently I'm being a illiterate goon :D

Denpa Men 2 is even cuter. An actual scrolling world map with mountains and wandering monsters. My main guy even can wear a red cape.

d+pad

Sure, why not. Here's some guys I found useful and/or interesting-looking. I'm not using anyone else's QR codes so they probably don't measure up to the crowdsourced list at GameFAQs, just as a warning.

THANK YOU, honorless! I esp. like Timmy and Lukas :)

BTW, I'm *glad* these aren't part of that crowdsourced list over at GameFAQs. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone came up with a 'master list,' so to speak, but the reason I've been asking for folks here (and elsewhere) to share their QR codes is that I think a wider variety of them should be available to those of us who want to expand our 'Denpa' men houses. Isn't that partially the point of the game -- to share our awesome 'Denpa' men? It sure is in my mind.

I'll post a few more to my blog this weekend or early next week, by the way -- just in case anyone's interested.

Pyrrhus

So who is the composer of this game's music and what else have they worked on? Sounds kind of like Hip Tanaka to me, but he's not doing much besides Pokemon anime music anymore as far as I know.

It makes me happy to see this game listed in the "Best Sellers" category on the eShop, and to see it ranking high on the charts. :)

I know it's a bit early, but I REALLY want DENPA MEN 2.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So who is the composer of this game's music and what else have they worked on? Sounds kind of like Hip Tanaka to me, but he's not doing much besides Pokemon anime music anymore as far as I know.

The music was by Basiscape, the production company led by Hitoshi Sakamoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles, Radiant Silvergun, etc).

ggd210

I played the demo, I love it!
I'll buy it soon....

Dempa Men on ICE? LOL!
11.jpg

d+pad

These videos are awesome. In a weird way.

Also, this game has got to be the best value on the 3DS eShop so far. I put thirty hours into the game by the time I beat it (a week or so ago), and
with the islands that unlock after beating the game, I can see myself play the game a lot more

I agree, Josiah. I'm nearing the 40-hour mark, and I'm still not done.

Considering how much content is packed into this game, and how much I'm guessing is packed into the sequel, I wonder if Genius Sonority will ever be given the go-ahead by Nintendo to do a full-on, sold-at-retail 'Denpa' Men game?

I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd pay full price for a boxed version of this first game, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about such things :)

JosiahB

I agree, Josiah. I'm nearing the 40-hour mark, and I'm still not done.

Considering how much content is packed into this game, and how much I'm guessing is packed into the sequel, I wonder if Genius Sonority will ever be given the go-ahead by Nintendo to do a full-on, sold-at-retail 'Denpa' Men game?

I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd pay full price for a boxed version of this first game, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about such things :)

I would definitely buy a Denpa Men retail game (and I would have payed retail price for the first too; I've already spent more time on it then many retail 3DS games). Of course it's perfectly fine with me if the series stays download too; ten bucks is a steal for this game ;P.

I just hope the second game gets localized! Actually, I have high hopes that it will. The first game has been pretty well received with critics, and I would assume that sales have been good too. I'm sure Nintendo will bring the second game over. (Sadly it probably won't be soon, since the first one just came out here.)

d+pad

Can anyone tell me the maximum number of rooms for the "Denpa" House? I currently have
, but I've read that you can have
. Is that true? If so, where do you get the parts for
the last 2
? I'm basically at the end of the game, and I feel like I may have missed them :(

Edi: Never mind! Just found the "room parts" I needed. If any of you want to know the location, just ask!

Hobby

Genius Sonority are releasing a complete strategy guide for Denpa Men 2 in Japan, the first ever for a download game on 3DS. Comes with a QR code for a special Denpa Man, Kogane Maru. The guide will be released sometime around the end of November, and Tokuma Shoten will be publishing it.

To commemorate this, Genius Sonority released a QR code for a rare silver Denpa Man called Shirogane Maru on their Facebook page.

Also, Denpa Men 2 has supposedly been consistently the #1 seller on the Japanese eShop since it was released.

Shirogane Maru

rwQxi.jpg

Kogane Maru

Gp8k7.jpg

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/10/21/60713.html

The next promo Denpa Man QR code (Carlton) has been posted in the OP.

Edit: I will keep updating the OP with more promo Denpa Men as they are released.

I suffered my first defeat tonight in the oasis level.

One monster took out my (mostly) full HP team in one round (he got two attacks).

Then, the cost of recovering my team (okay, so I probably should have caught new ones) was massive.

:(

Celine

The demo went live yesterday on EU eshop.
What a charming game, too bad the full game is available only next week.

The demo went live yesterday on EU eshop.
What a charming game, too bad the full game is available only next week.

Is that true? If so, why too bad? After playing the demo, I can't wait for the full version!

The graphics are very charming, the playstyle is simplistic yet fun. I have to be honest, I was skeptical as it's made by Genius Sorority, who were behind the incredibly slow-paced and boring 3D Pokemon games on the Gamecube and Wii. But it's really quick paced and fun. I like the addition of the "Auto" feature too, makes grinding much easier. I love the eShop at the moment, with this, Hana Samurai and Fallblox. To be honest, outside of Kid Icarus the 3DS has been dead in retail for me this year.

The demo save feature is cool too, I wish all demos had it. Might replay through this again to grind.

Once again though Nintendo, $6.99 does not = £7.20. Please stop this.

(It's a shame this has been moved to Community before it's even been released in the EU)

Jesse-

Wow, really enjoyed that demo. Too bad that the I have to wait a week until the full game is available.
One thing that I can't seem to figure out in the demo is how to change the Denpa in my party in the Denpa house. There doesn't seem to be a button to do so :/

Wow, really enjoyed that demo. Too bad that the I have to wait a week until the full game is available.
One thing that I can't seem to figure out in the demo is how to change the Denpa in my party in the Denpa house. There doesn't seem to be a button to do so :/
Drag Denpa Men to the big bottom button (it's be PARTY or ROOM I think) to swap them.

So any chance this will be moved back to main gaming for the EU release, at least for a little while? Not really sure how these things work. I fear it'll be a little bit hard to find for new owners of the game.

Once again though Nintendo, $6.99 does not = £7.20. Please stop this.
According to Nintendo.com and Nintendo Life, the US price is actually $9.99 so the UK and EU price of £7.19 and €7.99 isn't completely terrible this time, unlike some of their recent games e.g. Sakura Samurai where we were completely hosed with the pricing at $6.99 -> £6.29 / €6.99.

I've missed a few eShop games (SS, Fallblox...) because of the shitty PAL pricing but Denpa Men isn't so egrecious for me to keep my panties in a twist and "boycott" it until a sale. I should find out more about the game before committing to it though, but I still need to keep some funds for Nano Assault EX and PAL Cave Story (you suck Nicalis!!).

Top Bottom