• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Town Hall Debate |OT| When is the election? What are the names of the candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibzyY8kuKcpgk1.jpg
satisfaction.

mdphilli

That's not at all the case. If you read the whole quote he goes far beyond that, explaining exactly why he would never be able to win them over.

"...who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing..."

I think he's implying that they're not really victims and it's not the government's responsibility. Is it the federal government's job to run their lives? I would prefer they didn't run mine, but that's just me. I'm not perfect, but I can handle it. Why can't other people? The federal government can run national security and currency and things like that, but if they're doing everything for us then what the point in me working hard at all? Wouldn't someone else will just take care of it for me?

Seriously? No. Ignoring the fact that a large part of that 47% vote REPUBLICAN, the point was that they are leaches, and that good people should not be concerned with them.

He goes on to say "...I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

...Shouldn't they? I'm not a one-percenter by any means...But I do believe we'd be better off as a country if we all did take more personal responsibility. I don't believe the federal government needs to take care of me.

i disagree, if only because the libya exchange was horrible optics for Romney. since debates frequently come down to "who looks more presidential" regardless of substance, Romney doubling down on the stupid, getting owned, and the audience applauding is going to stand out and move some numbers.

Doubtful. I think the 65-35 Romney advantage on economy will probably have a bigger effect. Especially since much of it was talked about early on in the debate, when more people were still paying attention.

Also, Romney gets a mulligan on that one at debate #3.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He goes on to say "...I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

...Shouldn't they? I'm not a one-percenter by any means...But I do believe we'd be better off as a country if we all did take more personal responsibility. I don't believe the federal government needs to take care of me.

So you think that those 47% don't take responsibility for their lives? Based soley on if they pay federal income tax or not?

anyone just now doubting cnn, where have you been? They keep having to admit that their polls are "leaning" right after they purported as being fair.

Duffyside

Banned
"I know how to do this"

"I know what a growing economy looks like"

Look at all of those specifics.

"We have to make this the best place to start a new business."

And those specifics!

He's got all kinds of specifics.

Wow, it's almost as if people think he talked for longer than ten seconds. (You're better than this.)

Halcyon

I thought that was a pretty even and interesting debate. I like that they were both really aggressive and got in each others faces.

I think they both held their own despite mitt sorta flubbing the act of terror thing.

They both talk out of their asses as far as I'm concerned but I think Obama needs to lay out a better plan for the future. He just doesn't have a catchy "change/hope" tagline to keep chanting.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I know "LOL FACEBOOK" posts are bad in general, but somebody on my friends list is ranting about how they don't believe in healthcare reform because it's entirely possible they will never need healthcare in their lifetime.

yeah my 90 year old grandma needs to stop being such a leech and get a fucking job like the rest of us

Matt

"...who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing..."

I think he's implying that they're not really victims and it's not the government's responsibility. Is it the federal government's job to run their lives? I would prefer they didn't run mine, but that's just me. I'm not perfect, but I can handle it. Why can't other people? The federal government can run national security and currency and things like that, but if they're doing everything for us then what the point in me working hard at all? Wouldn't someone else will just take care of it for me?

You're trying to find a way to make what he said alright. He said that the 47% who don't pay income taxes will all vote for Obama, and that they are all takers who want to be coddled and don't want to work hard. These are both lies, and ugly ones at that.

lol what

"In the @CBSNews Instant Poll, 65% say Romney won on the issue of the economy. 34% say Obama won on the economy."

Ugh, seeing that makes me fear that Obama will lose and it won't be pretty; people are absolutely blind... these numbers absolutely blow my mind. Romney could admit he lied about everything and people would still pump those numbers out.

I've never donated to a campaign, but I did tonight because the thought of Romney being president is nauseating.

Obama is the voice of reason. Romney's campaign appeals to the masses whose only thought processes related to the election involve abortion, gay marriage, "tax cuts," and ensuring that the religious agenda stays ahead. That's not what will bring progress and future enlightenment to this country.

I'm quoting b/c well, this thread moves too quickly and I feel that's how this country is divided. Let's just split into two countries.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
This is bullshit. Secret service agents don't look like secret service agents in the movies.

Where are the sunglasses.

Bullshit, Obama lose for having lame Secret Service.

When I worked at the pizza stand in my university's food court a few years back, I had a stare-off with a secret service agent that was there with Biden. I couldn't tell if he wanted pizza or he thought I was a security risk.

They all looked like normal guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom