• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Town Hall Debate |OT| When is the election? What are the names of the candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The number that being close in CO, with Independents being so decisively Obama, means basically every Republican said Mitt lmao.

No the 47% line was about them being freeloaders and not wanting to take responsibility for their lives. That's what Romney said and what Obama hammered at.
Yes. Its one thing to say that you can't reach them for your vote.

Its an entirely different universe to then say those 47% are victims, entitled, and cannot be convinced to take personal responsibility for their lives.

His words, nobody else's. No spin. The entire tape is available.

This election should have been over the day these words rang out. Its been a shameful farce every day since.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The Libya timeline.

Makes it quite clear that Obama and co. were pushing the protest/video angle from Day 1.
I don't think any rational person is going to disagree with you...

...the problem is that Mitt tried to pin him on the "act of terror" phrase specifically and the President did say that phrase.

Regardless of the larger message being pushed during the time, Mitt didn't hit it during the debate. He lost the one topic that should have been an easy win. Tactical error.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
glasses-removal.gif

where is this from?

mdphilli

It's one thing to write off half of America. It's another thing to claim you're doing it because they're leeches.

So you'd rather he just write them off with no explanation? Or lying? When did he say they were leeches? What do you call them? He said they believe they are entitled. Why? There's a lot of things I'd like too be entitled to, but I'm not.

On the subject of whether Obama acknowledged it was an act of terrorism, and the moderator attempting to fact check it, I do feel there is context missing from her statement. Although Obama described the act as "terror", he did side step it when asked directly in the following days of the attack, so from that perspective its understandable why Republicans wanted to call him out on it, and why Romney was under the impression that he had not declared it an act of terror the day after. So I can understand why the Governor was caught off guard and confused. Had he pressed him further on why e.g. he did not confirm that it was terrorism when directly asked on The View, Obama would have been put on the spot.

Yes. Its one thing to say that you can't reach them for your vote.

Its an entirely different universe to then say those 47% are victims, entitled, and cannot be convinced to take personal responsibility for their lives.

His words, nobody else's. No spin. The entire tape is available.

This election should have been over the day these words rang out. Its been a shameful farce every day since.

ESPECIALLY when he says that they "Feel entitled to food"..

Like who the fuck needs to eat anyway. That's an activity reserved for the rich.

At least Republicans support their guy no matter what. Democrats threw Obama under the bus.

Whatever, it might be bad for polls and perception, but I'd rather have it this way. At least democratic leaning people are realistic. Conservatives are really living in their own bubble, and reveling in cognitive dissonance.

NeoUltima

I just love the irony of Romney blaming Obama for everything and then muttering "government doesn't create jobs."

His muttering is pretty much correct, but it undermines his entire campaign. Surprised the media isn't jumping on that. Guess it is too sophisticated for them.

nib95

Banned
Who gives a shit about this Libya semantics thing. Obama is right, the GOP trying to politicise this thing is insensitive and wrong. Especially when they wanted to push a budget that would further cut security at the site. Seriously we need to move past this thing. Far more serious issues on the table.

On the subject of whether Obama acknowledged it was an act of terrorism, and the moderator attempting to fact check it, I do feel there is context missing from her statement. Although Obama described the act as "terror", he did side step it when asked directly in the following days of the attack, so from that perspective its understandable why Republicans wanted to call him out on it, and why Romney was under the impression that he had not declared it an act of terror the day after. So I can understand why the Governor was caught off guard and confused. Had he pressed him further on why e.g. he did not confirm that it was terrorism when directly asked on The View, Obama would have been put on the spot.

He was caught off guard because he's been drinking his own kool aid instead of verifying his criticisms before making them
which is exactly what got him in trouble the LAST TIME

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So you'd rather he just write them off with no explanation? Or lying? When did he say they were leeches? What do you call them? He said they believe they are entitled. Why? There's a lot of things I'd like too be entitled to, but I'm not.
He said that they believe they are entitled to food and shelter and that they won't take responsibility for their lives.

He said literally that they could never be convinced to take personal responsibility for their lives.

He said that they all saw themselves as victims.

Entitled to healthcare, food, whatever.

Those were his words, in context. Watch for yourself.

So the seasoned sociopath won?
The sociopath that actually believes in society won, if thats how you want to see it. Seeing as how up is down and everything.

jtb

Banned

She did add the context though, with her also confirming the whole 14 (? I forget how many it was) days thing literally right after she made that remark. Romney was just completely flustered and fucked up the one sure bet he had.

How would you interpret his statement as anything but shitting on people?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Whatever, it might be bad for polls and perception, but I'd rather have it this way. At least democratic leaning people are realistic. Conservatives are really living in their own bubble, and reveling in cognitive dissonance.

Maybe a fair point outside of this forum, but holy shit, don't say this on GAF.

pompidu

I just love the irony of Romney blaming Obama for everything and then muttering "government doesn't create jobs."

His muttering is pretty much correct, but it undermines his entire campaign. Surprised the media isn't jumping on that. Guess it is too sophisticated for them.
So people who work in the public sector aren't considered having a job?

Dragon

Banned

Supporting people no matter what is asinine anyway. If someone is wrong they shouldn't be supported. It's incredible to me that you'd stand behind someone that doesn't stand up for certain types of people.

Zabka

MSNBC is covering the contraceptive argument. One of my favorite moments was Obama turning the closing of Planned Parenthood into an economic issue for women, not just a social or healthcare issue.

mdphilli

You're interpretation of this event and what he said is at odds with reality. Clearly you have an pre-established inclination to see Romney in the best possible light.

And, BTW, I can't think of another time in modern American history where a man running for President showed such disdain for HALF of this country's citizens.

How would you interpret his statement as anything but shitting on people?

I'm pretty sure he is talking about Democrats who aren't going to vote for him because they have a clear inclination to either see the President in the best possible light or him in the worst possible light. Again, I admit that he didn't phrase it the best way, but it's pretty clear that was the message he was getting at.

To the audience that was targeted, it's what they wanted to hear. It's an election, politicians will pander to their audiences. I'm not going to sit here and say it was the most eloquently phrased statement, but I understood what he was trying to say, that a good majority has written off him completely (whether it was 47% or not). He has to focus on the ones who haven't to deliver what his audience wanted.

Dude, he said somehing like these are people who won't take responsibility for themselves.

nib95

Banned
German TV who was also showing the debate, had a viewer poll of 87% for Obama and 13% for Romney.

I'm guessing a world wide poll would have a similar percentage. Unfortunately much of the population of America is not that rationale. The country overall leans far too right.

Who gives a shit about this Libya semantics thing. Obama is right, the GOP trying to politicise this thing is insensitive and wrong. Especially when they wanted to push a budget that would further cut security at the site. Seriously we need to move past this thing. Far more serious issues on the table.

It's important, because the cooked up Libya question from Romney was supposed to be his ace in the hole, and it just blew up spectacularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom