• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

next gen titles @ 60fps

Fredrik

Okey now that we know that we'll have to settle for 30fps in many games it would be fun to list the few games that we know will run at 60fps on the next gen consoles.

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Madden 07
Metroid Prime 3
Bleach: Shiraha Kirameku Rinbukyoku
Cars
Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Kirby Adventure
Mario Strikers Charged
My First Wii / Wii Play
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX
Noumiso KoneKone Puzzle: Takoron
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Wii Sports

Playstation 3
Warhawk
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3
Devil May Cry 4
Gran Turismo HD
Ridge Racer 7
Tekken 6
Tony Hawk Project 8
Full Auto 2 (framedrops)

Xbox 360
Call of Duty 2
Ridge Racer 6
Burnout Revenge
Dead or Alive 4
Forza Motorsport 2
Virtua Tennis 3
MotoGP 06 (framedrops)
Rockstar Presents Table Tennis
NBA 2k6
NBA 2k7
Call of Duty 3
Tony Hawk Project 8
NHL 2k6
NHL 2k7
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup (framedrops)
FIFA World Cup 2006
Chromehounds (framedrops)
Phantasy Star Universe
Senko no Ronde (minor slowdown in BOSS mode)
X-Men: The Official Game
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Full Auto (framedrops)

Please correct me if I'm wrong and add more games if you know that they run at 60fps and I'll update the list.

(Thanks jarrod for the big pile of 60fps Wii titles)

Update 2007-02-03: I deleted a few titles that had now turned 30fps. Does anyone know about any other title that need to be added/removed?

Wollan

Super Mario Galaxy?

Edit: The Motorstorm team apparently said that they're aiming for 60fps with the final product though in gameplay that hasn't been proved yet.

Dahbomb

Is Metal Gear Solid 4 really confirmed for 60FPS? Hmm... very interesting!

I think Fatal Inertia will be running at 60FPS as well.

Fredrik

PepsimanVsJoe said:
No it wouldn't.
This thread is a bad joke.
If you don't care about the framerate then why write in a thread like this?
And if you do care about the framerate then why is it a bad joke to do a thread that lists all the games that will run at 60fps?

jarrod

Banned
Wii
-Bleach: Shiraha Kirameku Rinbukyoku
-Cars
-Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
-GT Pro Series
-Kirby Adventure
-Mario Strikers Charged
-My First Wii
-Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX
-Noumiso KoneKone Puzzle: Takoron
-Sonic and the Secret of the Rings
-Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
-Wii Sports

Fredrik said:
If you don't care about the framerate then why write in a thread like this?
And if you do care about the framerate then why is it a bad joke to do a thread that lists all the games that will run at 60fps?

This thread is pointless that's all I'm saying. There have been numerous similar threads to this one and eventually they end up getting locked anyway.

I care about framerates but making a thread just to list a bunch of 60 FPS games is REE DICK U LISS. You'd think there'd be a wikipedia or something about "60 FPS next-gen games"

szaromir

Banned
Xbox 360
NBA 2k6
NBA 2k7

Xbox 360 & Playstation 3
Call of Duty 3
Tony Hawk Project 8

And probably more sport games are/will be 60fps.

Busty

Banned
60 fps isn't a must for me this gen. All i ask for is a rock solid, locked frame rate. Having any game slow to a virtual crawl whenever there's lots going on in the game is a joke at this stage of the upcoming gen.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
MotoGP2006... That bullshit wishes it ran at 60fps. The sudden frame drops make me wish it was 30fps to be honest.

Busty said:
60 fps isn't a must for me this gen. All i ask for is a rock solid, locked frame rate. Having any game slow to a virtual crawl whenever there's lots going on in the game is a joke at this stage of the upcoming gen.

Totally depends on the genre. I'm amazed sports games (EA's anyway) are all 30fps. NBA2K looks so much better than Live when ran side by side for that reason alone (although there are many others). The whole trade off for snazzy effects is silly because even at 30fps, most nex gen titles have failed to impress once you get past the HD resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are we sure that Fatal Inertia is 60 fps? It seems totally possible, but it uses UE3, which kind of makes me wonder. I know there are no retail UE3 games on the market at this time, but every one of them we've been shown thus far has had serious problems with the framerate (including Epic's own game using their engine). I suppose FI isn't going to be anywhere near as complex as something like Gears of War (obviously), but still...I'm curious to know where that info came from.

MotoGP2006... That bullshit wishes it ran at 60fps. The sudden frame drops make me wish it was 30fps to be honest.
Did you read the post-mortem on this one? They were shocked at how difficult it was to achieve 60 fps as that was always a goal of theirs. As of Christmas 2005, the game was runnning at all of 12 fps. They had to do some serious work to get it to the point they did.

They were also disappointed in the data transfer and didn't take into account how long it would take to fill the ram (hence, long load times).

They claim to have learned from their mistakes, but based on what written in that article, it sounds like MGP06 was somewhat of an abortion (technically).

dark10x said:
Are we sure that Fatal Inertia is 60 fps? It seems totally possible, but it uses UE3, which kind of makes me wonder. I know there are no retail UE3 games on the market at this time, but every one of them we've been shown thus far has had serious problems with the framerate (including Epic's own game using their engine). I suppose FI isn't going to be anywhere near as complex as something like Gears of War (obviously), but still...I'm curious to know where that info came from.

Did you read the post-mortem on this one? They were shocked at how difficult it was to achieve 60 fps as that was always a goal of theirs. As of Christmas 2005, the game was runnning at all of 12 fps. They had to do some serious work to get it to the point they did.

They were also disappointed in the data transfer and didn't take into account how long it would take to fill the ram (hence, long load times).

They claim to have learned from their mistakes, but based on what written in that article, it sounds like MGP06 was somewhat of an abortion (technically).

so mp07 is the real deal?

szaromir

Banned
They confessed that the framerate issues are in the game because of bad CPU programming, not because of hardware in general. You should read it once again.

big_z

TheGreatDave said:
Isn't Zelda 60fps on Wii?

Back at E3 matt-ign said it runs at a fairly steady 30fps with occasional dips. 60fps would be nice and should be possible but i wonder if the game is running in Wii mode or gamecube mode.... (the wii throttles itself to run cube games)

My First Wii

WTF is this? Potty training game?

Also what's this Wii Party game that comes with a controller that 1up was talking about?

Amir0x

Banned
big_z said:
Back at E3 matt-ign said it runs at a fairly steady 30fps with occasional dips. 60fps would be nice and should be possible but i wonder if the game is running in Wii mode or gamecube mode.... (the wii throttles itself to run cube games)

My First Wii

WTF is this? Potty training game?

Also what's this Wii Party game that comes with a controller that 1up was talking about?

The Wii Party game IS "My First Wii." Comes with, uh, billiards and ice hockey and duck hunt iirc.

dark10x

szaromir said:
They confessed that the framerate issues are in the game because of bad CPU programming, not because of hardware in general. You should read it once again.
Did I suggest otherwise?

Fredrik

jarrod said:
I'm not sure Mario Galaxy's 60fps either, I doubt it is actually given EAD's engines and track record.
Look at this Kikizo video and all your doubts will go away. :)
http://www.kikizo.com/viewer/vidvie...006/kikizo_ed480p60_supermariogalaxy_gp_1.wmv

Mojovonio said:
To the OP, link to an article stating that the game runs at 60fps for each game as proof.
That would be neat ofcourse but it's way too much work and since I didn't post that many games myself I wouldn't even know were to start searching for the proofs.

DaCocoBrova

dark10x said:

Wow. Thanks for that.

They should've begged THQ for a delay.

CoD2 is not a solid 60fps. It drops at times (like when the smoke grenades start flying).

A game should be 60fps 99.9% of the time if it's going to be on a list like this, IMO.

joshschw

MbGCaM said:
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup (X360)
FIFA World Cup 2006 (X360)

umm, no

i never played these but saw my little brother and his freind playing and the game were lucky to hit 30fps.

i don't know which fifa they were playing though.

DaCocoBrova

beermonkey@tehbias said:
CoD2 is not a solid 60fps. It drops at times (like when the smoke grenades start flying).

A game should be 60fps 99.9% of the time if it's going to be on a list like this, IMO.

Then there'd be no 60fps game listed. COD2 is fine. IT doesn't drop frames as much as people like to say it does.

MotoGP2006 is a much bigger offender.

maxmars

jarrod said:
Wii
[..]
-Mario Strikers Charged
[..]

Ah that's nice to hear, as the original had some framerate issues.

What about Excite Truck? A game like that is surely shooting for high frame rate?

Edit just seen the original comment.. We'll see.

Rlan

jarrod said:
Nope, it's 30fps like GameCube.

I thought someone mentioned that Wii has to be 60fps in order to have the Wiimote working correctly? They mentioned it after the new Farcry was mentioned at 30fps?

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
Then there'd be no 60fps game listed. COD2 is fine. IT doesn't drop frames as much as people like to say it does.

MotoGP2006 is a much bigger offender.
I disagree. CoD2 drops frames whenever the action heats up. With many people, I've noticed that their awareness of framerate drops as they focus on other things (not so for me). While simply walking around, it's usually 60, but during any major combat, it drops constantly.

If we were talking constant, I'd say the best example remains Ridge Racer 6. *IF* you can drop the framerate in that game, I sure as hell haven't seen it and I've put in 25-30 hours into it. Rock solid 60 fps.

_Angelus_

Banned
Give me visual effects dialed up to 10 over 60 fps any day of the week. In most games I just don't like the way things move at 60 frames,often they move unrealistically. Whereas 30 frames conveys a more slower,realistic motion. This isn't for all games but in alot of them I have noticed this. I'm a graphics whore guy so it doesn't bother me to see a game sitting at 30 fps. What sends me in a tail spin though is flucuating games going between 30 and 60,it ruins the whole effect of playing the games for me.

Do you really want 60fps if 30fps means a significantly impressive visuals?

Prior to Resistance's 30fps decision, and subsequent graphics bump, people were hating on it left and right.

60fps is nice, but i'm starting to wonder what a developer is holding back if they do 60. Those cycles could be spent on something else.

DaCocoBrova

dark10x said:
I disagree. CoD2 drops frames whenever the action heats up. With many people, I've noticed that their awareness of framerate drops as they focus on other things (not so for me). While simply walking around, it's usually 60, but during any major combat, it drops constantly.

If we were talking constant, I'd say the best example remains Ridge Racer 6. *IF* you can drop the framerate in that game, I sure as hell haven't seen it and I've put in 25-30 hours into it. Rock solid 60 fps.

RR6 drops frames man... I noticed that when I first played the game. It's not often, and really of no consequence, but it happens. Having spent most of my FPS playing days on a PC, any FPS will drop frames when the action heats up. Most don't notice it, as you said, since they're too busy dealing w/ the upswing in onscreen action.

That, I can live with and is not a valid reason to not strive for that coveted 60fps.

MotoGP 2006 on the other hand, will halve the framerate at random, or at certain points on a track regardless of what it's drawing at that point in time.

Two different things.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference. All the more reason why devs should give users the option to toggle between the two, sacrificing what ever is needed to achieve the (better) 60fps.

I will never buy a console FPS @ 30fps unless it's really good and can't be played anywhere else. I own Prey, but I have it for the PC for that very reason.

Fredrik said:
Okey now that we know that we'll have to settle for 30fps in many games it would be fun to list the few games that we know will run at 60fps on the next gen consoles.

Xbox 360
Call of Duty 2
Ridge Racer 6
Burnout Revenge
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Forza Motorsport 2
Virtua Tennis 3
MotoGP 06 (framedrops)
NBA 2k6
NBA 2k7
Call of Duty 3
Tony Hawk Project 8
NHL 2k6
NHL 2k7
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup (not correct?)
FIFA World Cup 2006 (not correct?)
Chromehounds

Please correct me if I'm wrong and add more games if you know that they run at 60fps and I'll update the list.

(Thanks jarrod for the big pile of 60fps Wii titles)

These titles are pretty tough to get to 30fps much less 60fps.
Call of Duty 2
MotoGP 06
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2006
Chromehounds (a bit more than 30fps)

Fredrik

sugarhigh4242 said:
Do you really want 60fps if 30fps means a significantly impressive visuals?
Yes, always. 60fps still makes the games look better in my opinion, not in still pictures but in motion. And several developers showed last gen that games can be good looking and still run at full framerate, especially Team Ninja, DICE, Insomniac and Polyphony Digital.

Fredrik

acousticvan said:
These titles are pretty tough to get to 30fps much less 60fps.
Call of Duty 2
MotoGP 06
FIFA 06: Road to World Cup
FIFA World Cup 2006
Chromehounds (a bit more than 30fps)
Call of Duty 2 is definitely 60fps, at least in 480i which is what I'm playing it at.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Fredrik said:
Are you sure? I always thought MP3 was 60fps since the former games were 60fps.

In all of Matt's interviews, he said the game was running "at a solid 30fps but did dip on occasion" I believe. I doubt they'd be able to get it locked at 60fps in time.

Fredrik

duckroll said:
Considering MGS3 was barely 30fps, why exactly are we expecting MGS4 to be 60fps?
Beacuse the real time demo was said to run at a solid 60fps back at TGS05 and from what I've heard they used very early devkits that weren't as fast as the final ones. Plus, I haven't heard anyone screaming "OMG!!! MGS4 is only running at 30fps!!!11!11!" ;)

Top Bottom