• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what happens to unsold video game hardware?

entremet

I'm thinking of all the Jaguars, Virtual Boys, Saturns, and the like that were never sold to customers. Same with games?

Well, I do think games are fire sold. I still regret not picking some of the full retail boxes of Earthbound that were being sold for 10 bucks at one point.

But I always wondered about game hardware? Do the retailers ship them back to the distributors for credit?

I could only imagine that in some shipping container somewhere there is a lost shipment of old consoles, unopened, rotting away somewhere.

Given who crazy this stuff go on eBay, I wonder if some people are hoarding some when they become ultra rare.

I do remember new Dreamcasts where being sold on some site a few years ago.

Like you said I'm pretty sure they are just sent back to the manufacturer for credit then the manufacturer probably recycles them to try and get whatever money out them that they can.

vireland

I'm thinking of all the Jaguars, Virtual Boys, Saturns, and the like that were never sold to customers. Same with games?

Well, I do think games are fire sold. I still regret not picking some of the full retail boxes of Earthbound that were being sold for 10 bucks at one point.

But I always wondered about game hardware? Do the retailers ship them back to the distributors for credit?

I could only imagine that in some shipping container somewhere there is a lost shipment of old consoles, unopened, rotting away somewhere.

Given who crazy this stuff go on eBay, I wonder if some people are hoarding some when they become ultra rare.

I do remember new Dreamcasts where being sold on some site a few years ago.

Some are sold into the secondary market or other countries (South America), but there's a decent amount of electronics, brand new in box, that are taken to facilities where they are crushed into oblivion. A *lot* of the Turbografx and Duo hardware went this route. Brand new, perfectly good product smashed into bits and an then a certification is issued for tax purposes verifying it was destroyed. At the time the Duo stuff was done, there were pallets of TVs, VCRs, Stereo amps, pretty much anything you can imagine - all brand new in box, waiting to be obliterated.

Syriel

Some are sold into the secondary market or other countries (South America), but there's a decent amount of electronics, brand new in box, that are taken to facilities where they are crushed into oblivion. A *lot* of the Turbografx and Duo hardware went this route. Brand new, perfectly good product smashed into bits and an then a certification is issued for tax purposes verifying it was destroyed. At the time the Duo stuff was done, there were pallets of TVs, VCRs, Stereo amps, pretty much anything you can imagine - all brand new in box, waiting to be obliterated.

This happens for all electronics.

If it's not sold, the mfg has to destroy it in order to claim the loss.

I've seen hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product go through an industrial shredder.

DonMigs85

Back in 2009 one of our local mall-based audio/video franchise stores was having a sale and had some pretty old inventory out. I still have the pic I took:

3943358575_d7f9169a12_b.jpg

Yes, the PlayStation, Saturn must have been in their boxes since at least 1997 or earlier. They even had some sealed Dreamcast games like DOA2 for sale.
I was also REALLY tempted to get the Panasonic Q.

Nintendo buys them and uses them for next-gen hardware.

Damn.

I have an offspring question:

What happens to unsold software? I mean, do they get shipped back, or is it a done deal and in the hands of retail stores? I ask because it seems that's why pre-order incentives are pushed so hard-- so that they can ship a higher demand

Refugio

Back in 2009 one of our local mall-based audio/video franchise stores was having a sale and had some pretty old inventory out. I still have the pic I took:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2490/3943358575_d7f9169a12_b.jpg[IMG]

Yes, the PlayStation, Saturn must have been in their boxes since at least 1997 or earlier. They even had some sealed Dreamcast games like DOA2 for sale.
I was also REALLY tempted to get the Panasonic Q.[/QUOTE]

Cool pic. I want that Saturn and some of those UMD cases.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

Seeing stuff like this gets me excited for some collector like reason. If I had money I'd probably go visit every video game store in the world

What happens to any unsold merchandise?

Depends on the retailer and the manufacturer, and the type of product. Product with an expiration date gets thrown out. Product that the manufacturer wants out of circulation gets recalled (the original Xbox and some models of other consoles were taken out of circulation this way), if the retailer cooperates with them.

Most merchandise, and most videogame hardware, gets marked down until it sells.

If there's a serious overstock situation, the retailer will "close out" the product, usually to a company that specializes in buying overstocks, whether that's somewhere like the Dollar Store, a warehouse retailer chain, or an international reseller.

If they can't do that, (or if the price is too low) they might destroy it for tax purposes (claim it as a loss).

LeleSocho

Banned

you are telling me that you haven't bought anything of that stuff? madness

DonMigs85

If they had any old Saturn games, I probably would have gotten the console.
In hindsight I wish I had gotten at least one copy of DOA2.

Iacobellis

Is this out in Japan? Funny how the PlayStation isn't marked as NTSC-J.

Top Bottom