• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korosenai

I'm nitpicking here, but Cortana's hologram really doesn't look holgraphic - she looks ...solid.

IF5zJ.png

Yes... she does look solid....

What is a "default competitive player", and how does it differ from an "MLG Pro" or "community members"?

There are many players who play just as competitively as MLG, practised team even. For example a BTB team that literally dominate the entire playlist when they play.

They're competitive as hell but do not really play MLG as a team.

I would also be a default competitive player. I learn, strategise, practise, team up with friends and in Halo 3 specifically would play ranked objective all the time.

I guess it's my terminology for non MLG playlist competitives really or "default Halo settings" such as Infinity slayer or Halo Reach/3 Slayer over MLG settings.

Flipyap

Have you read the book? Primordium Spoiler:
Guilty Spark knows where she is in Halo 3's time. She survived the time frame of the Terminals.
You do of course realize that you're getting hung up on a vague line said by
a dead guy

Edit: beaten by a handsome robot

Enfinit

There are many players who play just as competitively as MLG, practised team even. For example a BTB team that literally dominate the entire playlist when they play.

They're competitive as hell but do not really play MLG as a team.

I would also be a default competitive player. I learn, strategise, practise, team up with friends and in Halo 3 specifically would play ranked objective all the time.

I guess it's my terminology for non MLG playlist competitives really or "default Halo settings" such as Infinity slayer or Halo Reach/3 Slayer over MLG settings.

So where does that level everyone else? For example the ones who play competitively, but by themselves? Isn't there a "default" range of competitiveness for everyone who plays in matchmaking, seeing that every game is a competition?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think the new, more solid looking Cortana looks great. Why can't holograms look solid? It's 255whatever, holograms do what they want.

Doodis

Welp, just canceled my LE pre-order that I've had for months, in light of the fact that Microsoft Store is offering $25 with the standard edition. Can't really justify the LE anymore.

Wish the LE ended up having better exclusives, like Halsey's Journal with Reach. I probably would have kept my order if FUD was really a download and not a stream through waypoint.

Feels bad, man. :(

External Memory

Neo Member
You do of course realize that you're getting hung up on a vague line said by
a dead guy

Edit: beaten by a handsome robot

Large Primordium Spoiler:
It's the climax/cliffhanger of the last Forerunner Saga book before 4 comes out, and Guilty Spark says (fucking love Kindle): “One of you almost certainly carries Vinnevra and Riser’s old spirits within. Only the Lifeshaper can find them and coax my friends back to life. And after a hundred thousand years of exploration and study . . . “I know where to find her.” Personally I think the only Lifeshaper that would be worth bringing to a Halo sequel would be the Librarian; they're the highest rate Lifeworkers in the Forerunner so not a lot to pick from anyway. Besides, she was the Lifeworker who met both Vinnevra and Riser. And people who didn't read the books know of her from the Terminals, another Lifeshaper without that name would be an odd and confusing choice. Betting Guilty Spark shows up too, maybe both in SOps or the campaign proper.

So, off topic, but Bioshock 2 for 800pts or Alan Wake AN for 600pts? I have 800 to burn and they are both on sale.. (Well, Bioshock 2 is still showing up as 1600pts for me, so I may not have much of a choice)

So, where are the gifs from this trailer? There were definitely a few moments that would have been great. Too bad the trailer wasn't anything special, but at least it wasn't bad. Still, Halo 4's marketing has been rather tame IMO.

So where does that level everyone else? For example the ones who play competitively, but by themselves? Isn't there a "default" range of competitiveness for everyone who plays in matchmaking, seeing that every game is a competition?

It's just a label for segmenting the reflection of demographics. I'm not trying pigeon hole players or skill levels.

Sure there are all sorts of casual and competitive players with grey areas in between. Some nights I've had a few too many beers and I just dick around in game (casual), other nights I've got my razor sharp focus on (competitive).

I'm sure the competition spectrum is as diverse as the players themselves. Sadly there are many who fail to realise online play is for fun.

If you truly want to take your skill and competition for comparison against other players then you need a medium like MLG where there are rules, confines to avoid cheating and most of all a fair LAN style system for "competitive play".

To me that's the real difference away from the labels. I just don't understand all the crap around casual vs. competitive online as it's a crap shoot at best. Cheating, boosting, selling accounts, teams vs. randoms etc etc. What does online rank mean in terms of skill? Not much if you ask me.

What does something like MLG offline rank mean? The world of difference in terms of accuracy and meaning behind said ranks/statistics. To me if you're that serious about competitive then it's time to go pro.

The real issue for the community is the segmenting between "default & MLG" for that online skill/rank. If 343i can deliver something there to separate or bridge that gap them they'll easily outshine other games and "competitive communities".

No, I don't want a CE clone. What I want are the same principles that made CE great.

Funny thing is 343i went and got all Halo map remakes and TU settings/playlists in once they took over Reach to deliver what I am guessing is pretty damned close to CE online as possible. However the community still didn't get behind it en masse. To me it was the experience and test bed for 343i to know what to do with Halo 4 in their own vision. I'm quite happy in the direction they chose. Sure I'm salty on some objective things but I'm far more happy with 90% of their decisions and the sheer value this game represents for my enjoyment over the next couple of years, which is just insane value for money.

Ken

So, off topic, but Bioshock 2 for 800pts or Alan Wake AN for 600pts? I have 800 to burn and they are both on sale.. (Well, Bioshock 2 is still showing up as 1600pts for me, so I may not have much of a choice)

So, where are the gifs from this trailer? There were definitely a few moments that would have been great. Too bad the trailer wasn't anything special, but at least it wasn't bad. Still, Halo 4's marketing has been rather tame IMO.

You mean Alan Wak.

Flipyap

Get American Nightmare. Bioshock 2 isn't very good on its own, but you should grab it for cheap at some point just so you can play the excellent "Minerva's Den" DLC.

Most of the new giffable scenes from the trailer are a bit spoilerific, that's probably why you're not going to see them around here.

Bioshock 2 is a lot better value if it's at 800pts. The setting isn't as novel the second time, but I liked the end game a lot more than the first.

Also, I really didn't like American Nightmare. :lol

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at how low key it's seemed, especially since competition is so fierce. I'd carpet bomb the airwaves if I was Microsoft.

Once again, I think this trailer could have used more cohesive editing and a more dramatic music track. That said, ending on "The Forerunners.. have returned." was a great move.

Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake Alan Wake

So, Alan Wake you say? I suppose I could buy Bioshock 2 for around $10 used anyways.

Doodis

Oh man, I totally forgot that I purchased Alan Wake AM back when it was on sale like a couple months ago. This is the perfect time of year to play it, too. Can't believe I haven't fired it up yet.

Korosenai

Once again, I think this trailer could have used more cohesive editing and a more dramatic music track. That said, ending on "The Forerunners.. have returned." was a great move.

So, Alan Wake you say? I suppose I could buy Bioshock 2 for around $10 used anyways.
I got bioshock 2 (brand new) off amazon for $8.99 two months ago.

External Memory

Neo Member
Goddamn. OST and good headphones. What does this Requiem track remind me of? It's fantastic.
That going into Legacy and the other choral tracks is a very Dead Can Dance / Mystere Des Voix Bulgares headspace.
Still can't place that song though.

Ramirez

OT, but I just completed Dishonored, the game was amazing in the first half, I'm not a huge stealth guy, but the final level left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe I was rushing it, but it just felt like there were guys every where! No way I'd even try to do the whole game without being spotted, what a headache...solid game though!

I think I've completed more games in the past month than I have all year, AC3 up next, just burning time til 4 drops. :(

Jedi Otter

OT, but I just completed Dishonored, the game was amazing in the first half, I'm not a huge stealth guy, but the final level left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe I was rushing it, but it just felt like there were guys every where! No way I'd even try to do the whole game without being spotted, what a headache...solid game though!

I think I've completed more games in the past month than I have all year, AC3 up next, just burning time til 4 drops. :(

I pretty much did the same thing, though more out of a role-playing kinda thing. Like going balls-to-the-wall for revenge. Kinda ruined that bit of the game, but I went through to do a second stealth/kill play through. Pretty fun going through like that.

Halo related; that trailer was pretty epic. I prefer cinematic stuff, so this one was a treat. Hearing that final line gave me chills.
I really hope the forerunners invade earth.

malfcn

I hate fighting in corridors with weapons that curve around and go through cover. Again..Two Betrayals is trash. Almost as bad as the latest LE.

Ramirez

I pretty much did the same thing, though more out of a role-playing kinda thing. Like going balls-to-the-wall for revenge. Kinda ruined that bit of the game, but I went through to do a second stealth/kill play through. Pretty fun going through like that.

Halo related; that trailer was pretty epic. I prefer cinematic stuff, so this one was a treat. Hearing that final line gave me chills.
I really hope the forerunners invade earth.

Oh, I definitely did most of the game in a stealthy manner, I got the achievement for low chaos at the end, the last level just kinda seemed irritating to not kill a lot of guys along the way.

I didn't really think the last level was very hard at all, but I had the lowest possible chaos level. I assume you had high chaos? because there weren't almost any enemies around for me

whoops, guess not. still, if you take a good route you don't have to do almost anything in that mission

the mission to get the lord regent was much more difficult imo

Jedi Otter

Oh, I definitely did most of the game in a stealthy manner, I got the achievement for low chaos at the end, the last level just kinda seemed irritating to not kill a lot of guys along the way.

I also got the low-chaos achievement. And it was kinda bollocks how
you lose all your supplies for a good amount of time, and are thrown into assassin filled territory.

I literally just started Dishonored right now... I'm kind of unhappy Corvo is another silent protagonist lol

Tunavi

Banned

i just interviewed the two directors of the game for an article I wrote, they made the game in my city

@ Bigshow

I think you're wrong about the player not being dominant again. Maybe it has more to due with there being more power weapons, but from what we have seen I can see one player dominating without the need for help. I also see one person being able to take down 2 unsuspecting people.

I still wish that it would be a 4sk while maintaining its ROF. I might even go as far as to say I think a 3sk would be better just because of the emphasis of "faster" gameplay. The AA and sprint extends people life so i would prefer a 3sk, but a 4sk would be a happy place for both sides.

OK, some of you posting your "ideas" about the story in Halo 4 need to stop playing stupid. I get the impression some of you know way more about that Campaign, and are trying to play it off as your predictions. Shame on you.

I also got the low-chaos achievement. And it was kinda bollocks how
you lose all your supplies for a good amount of time, and are thrown into assassin filled territory.
You only have to go through two assassins to get to your gear, and they're at the very start of the level.

Funny thing is 343i went and got all Halo map remakes and TU settings/playlists in once they took over Reach to deliver what I am guessing is pretty damned close to CE online as possible. However the community still didn't get behind it en masse.

I'm sorry but you'd be guessing very wrong.

Crossposting from the gaming side thread:

So yeah, IMO, the music and clips + editing don't really mesh very well. The voice-over from the Didact was fantastic, and "The Forerunners have returned" was an amazing note to end on, but the over all pace and feel was rather average. So weird, the ads for this game have been OK at best, but the actual content looks stellar.

Personally, I really think/hope MS/343 will consider a re-cut of the trailer with a few small edits and tweaks. I like the slow burn opening, but I think they should have opened on ambiguous alien landscapes before revealing the MC and Cortana.

I got bioshock 2 (brand new) off amazon for $8.99 two months ago.

Ok, Alan Wake it is. Might as well save my HD space for games that can only be played via it anyways. I do want to get Bioshock eventually though.

Jedi Otter

You only have to go through two assassins to get to your gear, and they're at the very start of the level.

Really? I remember the first two, but literally RIGHT before I dropped down to get my gear, there were 3 more assassins talking to each other. Plus all the weepers in that area.

Wait, there's allegedly no campaign scoring and no campaign theater?

From least to most, my personal incentives to replay the campaign are broken down into seven parts:

1) Story
2) Clips/Screenshots
3) Encounters
4) Co-op
5) Exploration/Easter Eggs
6) Tackling Different Difficulties
7) Scoring/Medals (For Challenges)

To remove the biggest incentive to replay the campaign is disheartening. Until I hear it from the horse's mouth, I won't believe it.

If there had to be a feature to cut, cutting campaign theater makes the most sense as only a small percentage of the community used it. That doesn't mean it should have been cut. The community has an expectation of feature parity established during the Bungie days. If feature parity was not a goal for 343, it should have been said long before launch.

Really? I remember the first two, but literally RIGHT before I dropped down to get my gear, there were 3 more assassins talking to each other. Plus all the weepers in that area.
Actually you're right
there are the three right as you get to the top of the building but they disperse after their talk so it slipped my mind. You don't even have to try to avoid them. Weepers were the pain as I was going for a Ghost and pacifist run so their spidey senses resulted in some trial and error.

Omni

Wait, there's allegedly no campaign scoring and no campaign theater?

From least to most, my personal incentives to replay the campaign are broken down into seven parts:

1) Story
2) Clips/Screenshots
3) Encounters
4) Co-op
5) Exploration/Easter Eggs
6) Tackling Different Difficulties
7) Scoring/Medals (For Challenges)

To remove the biggest incentive to replay the campaign is disheartening. Until I hear it from the horse's mouth, I won't believe it.

If there had to be a feature to cut, cutting campaign theater makes the most sense as only a small percentage of the community used it. That doesn't mean it should have been cut. The community has an expectation of feature parity established during the Bungie days. If feature parity was not a goal for 343, it should have been said long before launch.

Cutting campaign scoring is so retarded. I'd really like to see them try and explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom