• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes - new game from Suda 51 (trailer)

beelzebozo said:
so, if we can agree that killer7's voice work was pretty superb (especially garcian), is it reasonable to think this game's will be spruced up before release? or is this a stylistic choice?

I think it is stylistic choice. I mean can you imagine those lines being said seriously? The VAs fit the dialogue IMO. I don't think it's suppose to be a game taken too seriously like K7

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Jiguryo said:
The guys from GoNintendo have two links for GHM's conference, featuring photos and possibly more info -- too bad it's all in Japanese, so give it a shot if you're feeling lucky:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/event/2006/09/23/264,1158988638,60648,0,0.html

http://nintendo-inside.jp/news/191/19164.html

Props to all of them for wearing Travis' pink heart thingy t-shirts on stage. heh heh :)

Can someone please bullet-point the highlights of this?
We know next to NOTIHNG about this game, and I'm really itchin' to know... ya know, everything there is to know.

I don't ask for a lot :(

John Harker

beelzebozo said:
so, if we can agree that killer7's voice work was pretty superb (especially garcian), is it reasonable to think this game's will be spruced up before release? or is this a stylistic choice?

It could have a lot to do with Capcom publishing K7 though, no?
They had a lot more money to through at the project, and better connections...

Who knows what Marvelous is going to do. And Spike co-publishing makes me nervous too haha

Yochoko

John Harker said:
Can someone please bullet-point the highlights of this?
We know next to NOTIHNG about this game, and I'm really itchin' to know... ya know, everything there is to know.

I don't ask for a lot :(

Well, Travis is a big fan of "Magical Girl "Bizarre Jilly'" which is a fictitious anime in the game. That's why they are wearing this pink T-shirt. :lol

Oh, and Suda wants Marvelous to make a figure of this "Bizarre Jilly".

Hey sorry for the spelling for the name, though... I just typed this according to the Japanese characters.

John Harker

Yochoko said:
Well, Travis is a big fan of "Magical Girl "Bizarre Jilly'" which is a fictitious anime in the game. That's why they are wearing this pink T-shirt. :lol

Oh, and Suda wants Marvelous to make a figure of this "Bizarre Jilly".

Hey sorry for the spelling for the name, though... I just typed this according to the Japanese characters.

:lol haha, i have no idea whats goin' on.

got anything else? thanks

Yochoko

Well, Suda says that the scenario is almost 100% done already as well as the game system, too. He first thought of making it on PS2, but Wada (Marvelous Interactive) insisted on making it on Wii. Suda, back then, didn't know about the Wii's controller. Now he is more than convinced that the game is for Wii. So, now he says the game for "tuning". He also precises "Beam Katana" instead of calling it a "Beam Saber". And so, like I said earlier, the hero of the game, Travis is a big fan of a fictitious anime "Magical Girl 'Bizarre Jilly'".

....what else? Ah yep. Suda wants it to be releaset around the "warm" period of the year 2007, but then he goes "Maybe it will be out already around this time next year (TGS), but... maybe NOT!"....so, we can't know really about the release date! He does seem wanting to release it sooner, though!

Hope this could help knowing a liiiiitttle bit about the game! :)

Yochoko said:
Well, Suda says that the scenario is almost 100% done already as well as the game system, too. He first thought of making it on PS2, but Wada (Marvelous Interactive) insisted on making it on Wii. Suda, back then, didn't know about the Wii's controller. Now he is more than convinced that the game is for Wii. So, now he says the game for "tuning". He also precises "Beam Katana" instead of calling it a "Beam Saber". And so, like I said earlier, the hero of the game, Travis is a big fan of a fictitious anime "Magical Girl 'Bizarre Jilly'".

....what else? Ah yep. Suda wants it to be releaset around the "warm" period of the year 2007, but then he goes "Maybe it will be out already around this time next year (TGS), but... maybe NOT!"....so, we can't know really about the release date! He does seem wanting to release it sooner, though!

Hope this could help knowing a liiiiitttle bit about the gam! :)

Thanks!

Yochoko

Oh just a little more of it....

Of course there'll be more and different weapons than that "Beam Katana".

Abbout the story is.. as you know already from the trailer, Travis is ranked 11th, so he's going to eliminate 10 others to become the #1.

ethelred

Thanks for the additional info. It's sounding very cool... this is definitely one of the more promising Wii games (I'm not interested in any of the non-games/mini-games).

Suda 51 and his team are truly remarkable. Heroes already looks great!

I hate the idea of having to wait for this game until this time next year though... :(

Rexaur

The music is definitely not as good or fitting as the original Wiire trailer, but it's still pretty good nonetheless. The Killer7 soundtrack surprises me with how good and catchy some of the tunes are.

I really can't wait to see how the gameplay is on this one. *Hopes that this trailer is close to real time graphics*

John Harker

Yochoko said:

Hope this could help knowing a liiiiitttle bit about the game! :)

Another year? Aww, bummer. Well, if you look at how long it took Killer7 to release... 3 years?... then I guess it makes sense. Grasshopper is a really small studio.

I wonder how it plays? No hint on how it uses the Wii Controller? I initially thought it would be much like K7, which I think would obviously work well with the controller, but the trailer showecased a lot more sword-action, more 1-1 action, which really wasnt in K7.

Anyway, my favorite part of the original game was the story anyway - this game seems MUCH simplier in story, which I'm not too thrilled about, but hopefully Suda can still write something twisted and trippy into the game. Though, I know in the first interview, he said he wanted it to be less mature and less political....

ethelred

John Harker said:
Another year? Aww, bummer. Well, if you look at how long it took Killer7 to release... 3 years?... then I guess it makes sense. Grasshopper is a really small studio.

I wonder how it plays? No hint on how it uses the Wii Controller? I initially thought it would be much like K7, which I think would obviously work well with the controller, but the trailer showecased a lot more sword-action, more 1-1 action, which really wasnt in K7.

Anyway, my favorite part of the original game was the story anyway - this game seems MUCH simplier in story, which I'm not too thrilled about, but hopefully Suda can still write something twisted and trippy into the game. Though, I know in the first interview, he said he wanted it to be less mature and less political....

If you boil the story of Killer 7 down to a single sentence ("A hitman manifests his different personalities into different hitmen") it'd sound just as simplistics as Heroes' story boiled down into a single sentence ("The 11th best hitman in the world seeks to kill the top 10"). The devil is in the details.

japtor

Jax said:
question. is the voice acting still ****ing horrible?

oh nevermind. just skimmed... guess it still is.
its worse! well helter skelter and sylvia seemed fine, but travis was much better when the acting was way over the top. with his dialogue, the acting almost needs to be over the top to work well.

NSider

I think this "kill the the top 10 to be number 1" story is very interesting .. and a little quirky (in a good way though!).

The graphics are too good to be true ..

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How in the hell did I not hear about this game until now?

Saoh

NSider said:
The graphics are too good to be true ..

what? why? Killer 7 looked good already in its own way. Heroes should look better (see One Piece and Fire Emblem cel-shading as well :D )

and dont pay attention to the blue fire, that looks like a video overlay to me :p

pitt_norton

ethelred said:
It looks like you have no idea what kind of game it is and are just pulling stuff out of your ass.

Holy shit ethelred! You really have issues with people speculating what a game might be.

I look forward to seeing your next "pull out of your ass" quotes.

ethelred

pitt_norton said:
Holy shit ethelred! You really have issues with people speculating what a game might be.

I look forward to seeing your next "pull out of your ass" quotes.

I have no idea who you are or what you're talking about.

I just think it's a pretty silly guess to think that this "looks like a fighting game" based on the 0 gameplay footage we've been shown and the scrapes of story info that have been revealed. :)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Don't expect any information about how the game plays until December at the earliest.

John Harker

Reno said:
Don't expect any information about how the game plays until December at the earliest.

Whys that?

And what's a "energic action game" - as was translated in the press conference, uhh, even mean?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ethelred said:
It looks like you have no idea what kind of game it is and are just pulling stuff out of your ass.
3hq1.gif

Scenester

Zoramon089 said:
I think it is stylistic choice. I mean can you imagine those lines being said seriously? The VAs fit the dialogue IMO. I don't think it's suppose to be a game taken too seriously like K7

I think the voice work in this trailer is some of the best shit I have ever heard.

"Hear the lullaby? Rest in peace baby" - One of the best one liners ever

Zoramon089 said:
It sounds more like what happens when non-native speakers insist on using specific lines of dialogue they think sound really cool, despite the localization team's protests. This actually happens all the time, and not just in games.

ethelred said:
If you boil the story of Killer 7 down to a single sentence ("A hitman manifests his different personalities into different hitmen") it'd sound just as simplistics as Heroes' story boiled down into a single sentence ("The 11th best hitman in the world seeks to kill the top 10"). The devil is in the details.
and take into account, killer7's story outline isn't even the story of the game. heroes could be anything. heh.. but I doubt heroes could have as detailed and thought out a story as killer7, unless suda already had the story written roughly or completely thought out beforehand.. killer7 is just too great, I doubt he wrote it in one sitting hehe

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chris Remo said:
This is fine with me, as long at least SOMEBODY makes some damn cel-shaded games that aren't anime. Seriously, Western developers, get off your asses and make a gorgeous cel-shaded game in a Western animation style. Is this really so hard?!
liefeldmk7.jpg

Thanks for the idea!

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I hadn't seen the first trailer. DAMN! This game looks hawt!

I really need to check out Killer 7. I know it's totally different and all but I can find it almost anywhere for $10 or so and these Grasshopper/Suda 51 fellas certainly are creative!

Top Bottom