• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game And Service Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
For those with the vita version of NFS:MW, when playing online or even connected to autolog (to see friend scores on billboards/speed cameras/races etc) do you notice any freezing?

The pauses aren't rare but only last for less than a second each time - almost like it is pulling friend scores for approaching billboads/speed cameras, which is often the case (that they are nearby/being approached). It gets pretty annoying tbh. Not sure if it is due to pulling friends list data each time (and the 20+ on my friendslist that have this may be too much..) or something else.. :S

MisterC20XX

For those with the vita version of NFS:MW, when playing online or even connected to autolog (to see friend scores on billboards/speed cameras/races etc) do you notice any freezing?

The pauses aren't rare but only last for less than a second each time - almost like it is pulling friend scores for approaching billboads/speed cameras, which is often the case (that they are nearby/being approached). It gets pretty annoying tbh. Not sure if it is due to pulling friends list data each time (and the 20+ on my friendslist that have this may be too much..) or something else.. :S

Yes, I noticed this. It's like there's a skip in the animation for just a fraction of a second. It immediately struck me as something that must be related to pulling and/or displaying information from others. When it didn't happen I noticed only my PSN ID on certain leader boards because I was offline. To me it's extra annoying because I know it's going to happen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Leona Lewis said:
(not even close to the Super AMOLED Plus screens I've seen on various Samsung devices), so it ruins the point of OLED anyway
Having a few of the said Samsung devices I'd be hard pressed to eyeball difference in blacklevel side-by-side.
But for me temporal-resolution of OLED was the main selling point, games are mostly-non static (well, non-phone games anyway).

Massa

I've seen that once, in about 15 hours of play. I only have 3 or 4 NFS friends though.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for the reports guys, I hope there is a fix on the way, that's not really acceptable - they must have a more efficient way of storing and pulling the info. Otherwise I'm going to have to start chopping on the friendslist :( ..

Tailer

Thanks for the reports guys, I hope there is a fix on the way, that's not really acceptable - they must have a more efficient way of storing and pulling the info. Otherwise I'm going to have to start chopping on the friendslist :( ..
Or you could go offline.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone afraid for how long I've been typing so far?
You should be.

Nah, I continued talking to the guy in the other thread as well. Post still coming up though.

whitehawk

Banned
What's the cheapest place to buy a 32gb card in Canada?

$89 is the cheapest I've seen it, and I saw a used 16gb for 37.99. But I'd rather jump up to 32 from my 8. 16gb would be just enough, but I'd rather go for 32 to futureproof it and so I don't have to worry about space at all. However, not for $90.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, NO ONE IS TALKING TO ME, so I'll talk to myself.

What did I do to deserve this, my Lord?
screenshot_0004-620x.jpg

Introduction to the game (so that this post contains something that at least some people will read):
Alright, so the idea is that you dig into the earth and build your own cave, which is supposed to be inhabit by your own monsters. Monsters eat stuff from the walls, other monsters eat monsters that eat stuff from the walls, while other monsters have fun roasting monsters that eat monsters that eat stuff from the wall. You'll be tasked to balance the dungeon eco system in a way that will lead to stronger monsters (which need other monsters as food), while still taking care that the weakest monster wont die out completely. I think its a rather intriguing and interesting game aspect that manages to hit all the right notes for me.

Now, I need to admit that I am not too invested in the story mode, but I adore the ranked challenges.

Strategy talk for anyone else who played it:
1. How the hell are you balancing the slime/slimeeater ratio in a balance? From what I get so far, its supposed to be fluctuating so that you need to adjust properly, right? I just want to know whether I am doing something wrong because I dont get a long lasting "balance". I dont mind the way I play this game currently, but it would be nice to know whether I am on a wrong track with how I am approaching it. Is there actually a good ratio?

2. There are these uber strong demons that you can spawn when singling out a certain brick wall and then destroying it, creating a rune that will give you a stronger monster considering with how much other monsters you fed the rune. The tutorial tells me to leave these guys in the back of my dungeon, but they can be really fucking strong. I know they arent meant to be in the front rows because they give passive bonuses, but... god damn, they are STRONG. And dont grill my other dungeon inhabitants, like dragons do -_-

3. Did you ever decide on calling the Heroes prematurely by opening up the door for the heroes early? I mean of course it makes sense in the challenge mode to get them grilled earlier and getting a better rank, but does it makes sense in story mode too? You can get nutrients from them, but they'll likely kill more stuff than what they give you right? Or am I not seeing something obvious? I mean they DO give plenty of nice nutrients, but so far I'd like to avoid them wherever I can.

4. How do you set up the "harvest" rooms for the basics (mana and nutrients)? I started by just digging straight lines, and hoped they will sort themselves out at one point. Stupid, yeah. Then I went over to circles with a hole on one side, like this:
Code:
XXXXX
X   XXXXX
X X 
X   XXXXX
XXXXX

because the moss cant turn when it doesnt hit a corner. Usual stuff, guess most people do that as they introduce that in the tutorial as well, but

4.a. Those things barely work for me. Usually 1 out of 4 produces a higher ranked monsters that I can use. Is that a normal quota? Thats sort of where the random aspect might be too much for some, I guess. You can affect how the breeding ground looks, but they still might fuck it up. Its all a huge social experiment and I love experimenting with it, but I guess thats one of the main reasons why its not a super well known game.

4.b. What is the best tactic to keep a small breeding ground alive? if you just have 2, they'll die and wither because there isnt much to eat. If you have a LOT, they'll eat all the food there is, leaving others to die, some of which havent eaten anything yet and therefore wither without producing new nutrients. I got the impression that killing of individuals in big populations would be beneficial, but I have no clue at which rate. Sometimes even a big breeding ground with like 6-8 slimes seems to survive for a while.

4.c. My current idea is digging short and straight tunnels, mainly due to dragons having the annoying movement behaviour of only moving and attacking sideways. Anyway, if you set them up like this:
Code:
XXXXXXXXXX
X
XX XXXXXXX
XX XXXAXXX
XC
XX XXXBXXX
XXXXXXXXXX
they even work! Because then the slimes still cant enter other tunnels because of their "only turn at a wall rule. Completely obvious, totally missed it for my first 7 hours of play though. Additional benefit of having proper paths for dragons too. Downside: Dragons are almost always in an upper or lower row, and never on the side, which means I need to dig out the whole line they are one to make them usable. If there is another free line right beneath them, they can be rather useless though as the intruders may just walk by. How do you get great dragon hallways?

5. See screenshot at the start of the post. How can dungeons with these big hallways work? Monsters will get lost and wont be directed to heroes, slimes might die before finding nutrients. I tried avoiding such huge halls so far, anyone got these to work? How? Any advantage to them? (Your enemy seeking monsters more easily finding the enemy? or whatever)

6. Anyone actually managed to get a Mara? I tried quite a few times but I havent managed to get this "Mara: The demons level up with enough Mana. However, if a seal has no nutrients or mana at all, it becomes a Mara seal. Mara doesn't raise stats, but it's actually a pretty strong fighter. In order to do this, make a seal with just mana, and have a hero step on it a few times." to work. Having it in the entrance area might be useful for that, but how on earth are you expected to get heroes to walk over them MULTIPLE times with no other ghost being swallowed by the rune in the meantime. Not even sure how to set up that the heroes crosses this thing since its likely to be in the middle of a room where it can be easily passed. Oh and, how many times are needed?

So much stuff that no one will read!
Oh and have I mentioned that I love how this game looks on Vita? Marvellous. *goes to bed*

zroid

Banned
What's the cheapest place to buy a 32gb card in Canada?

$89 is the cheapest I've seen it, and I saw a used 16gb for 37.99. But I'd rather jump up to 32 from my 8. 16gb would be just enough, but I'd rather go for 32 to futureproof it and so I don't have to worry about space at all. However, not for $90.

Well it's 84 at Costco. I'm sure it can be found for lower though, somewhere.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I bought at $80, haven't seen it much cheaper. Definitely get a 32 if you can afford it imo. I'm almost full and I only keep demos + games I want to play regularly on it. If you never ever buy a retail available game on PSN then sure 16 would be OK at least until some more PSN only games come out.

whitehawk

Banned
I bought at $80, haven't seen it much cheaper. Definitely get a 32 if you can afford it imo. I'm almost full and I only keep demos + games I want to play regularly on it. If you never ever buy a retail available game on PSN then sure 16 would be OK at least until some more PSN only games come out.
I pretty much exclusively buy retail, but with PSN+ I'll need more space. Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Wipeout won't all fit on my 8gb.

Shai-Tan

Banned
re badman I think with slimes the tutorial tells you the best patterns to accumulate nutrients in one square. it seems like random trial and error if you can actually keep the food chain going though, like I'll spawn some lizard men that will then die from starvation because they ate everything or arent pathing right :) I wish gamefaqs or some other site had tips because I've started and stopped that game several times

Toma

I played Badman 3 yesterday and sucked so much :(
For the first one or two hours, I wasnt doing much more than observing and experimenting with my monsters. Its really oldschool in a way that will ask you to test the water yourself without premade solutions. An OT to share some strategies would help quite a bit I imagine, though.

So I played some UMvC3 again today after not playing for MONTHS and I'm still having fun. Though all of my BnBs... gone, just like that. ): Plus nobody ever puts their herald colors on Near, aaaargh!

Toma

Oh and: twitter app just skyrocketed on my favourite apps ranking. Finally browsing while gaming, AT THE SAME TIME. The future has arrived.

Toma

I read it, it's an amazing game, would love to develop a similar game with the same concept. So simple yet so strategic and tactic. Do I pop open that portal now or later, etc.
Did you beat all the challenges?

Did you beat all the challenges?

Hell no, the game keeps kicking my ass. I don't think I ever got that far. I just enjoyed toying around and building my dungeon.

Acquire make awesome games, you guy should try Shinobido 2. It's flawed but very fun (like most Acquire games).

EDIT: Maybe you should make a LTTP thread? The game is so cheap and undoubtly a good buy for most new Vita owners.

VanWinkle

All kinds of Vita GAFers banned :(

I've been playing a lot of Unit 13. Great game guys. $15 at Gamefly for those who don't know. Comes with the online pass.

Toma

Hell no, the game keeps kicking my ass. I don't think I ever got that far. I just enjoyed toying around and building my dungeon.

Acquire make awesome games, you guy should try Shinobido 2. It's flawed but very fun (like most Acquire games).

EDIT: Maybe you should make a LTTP thread? The game is so cheap and undoubtly a good buy for most new Vita owners.
Pretty sure I will. There hasnt even been an OT though, so I'll likely create that.

:/ God damn some people, all those Vita threads. It's like they just want the thing to fail just to prove a point.

If I had learned anything is that according to GAF I'm a necrophilic for loving my Vita.

:/ God damn some people, all those Vita threads. It's like they just want the thing to fail just to prove a point.

If I had learned anything is that according to GAF I'm a necrophilic for loving my Vita.

I take mine to bed at night. That OLED glow comforts me.

Also:

It baffles me that you can't open the browser while you're in game, but you can open the Twitter app and open THAT browser just fine.

Why not just unlock the regular browser? Sheesh.

zroid

Banned
Also:

It baffles me that you can't open the browser while you're in game, but you can open the Twitter app and open THAT browser just fine.

Why not just unlock the regular browser? Sheesh.

Apparently it's buggy, so I guess it's a subvert-at-your-own-risk kind of deal. They must figure there's no harm in letting the workaround exist as long as it's not an advertised feature, so they don't have to answer to anyone if their game crashes because of it.

Apparently it's buggy, so I guess it's a subvert-at-your-own-risk kind of deal. They must figure there's no harm in letting the workaround exist as long as it's not an advertised feature, so they don't have to answer to anyone if their game crashes because of it.

Ahh, okay.

That makes sense, I guess.

Any port in a storm.

Skyzard

Banned
Sine Mora and Jet Set Radio. Awesome. Really hope SM makes it to EU soon if it's not next week too.

Will help me keep in-check not to pick up cod at full price, psasbr next week for UK too...really hoping on a £30 steal from them..lets see [edit-oh yeah keep forgetting, cross-buy). Surely Sega will be kind with S&S Racing Transformed. Cannot wait to get a glimpse of vita footage on that (again).

Hope that 64 GB card is in the works..and will be a reasonably extortionate price.

spannicus

Sine Mora and Jet Set Radio. Awesome. Really hope SM makes it to EU soon if it's not next week too.

Will help me keep in-check not to pick up cod at full price, psasbr next week for UK too...really hoping on a £30 steal from them..lets see [edit-oh yeah keep forgetting, cross-buy). Surely Sega will be kind with S&S Racing Transformed. Cannot wait to get a glimpse of vita footage on that (again).

Hope that 64 GB card is in the works..and will be a reasonably extortionate price.

Said next week too on FB EU confirmed

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I don't get why these late releases aren't YOPO. I highly doubt they actually cannibalize themselves.

YOPO unfortunately, does not make any financial sense unless you are the console manufacturer. Only Sony will do this because they want to push the hardware.

spannicus

Thanks, will be one of the best vita gaming weeks in a while! Still hooked on NFS:MW too, not too bad a winter gaming collection despite cod :/ I wonder if Sony will do something about it now that reviews aren't going easy on it.

COD is fun but I'm thinking of trading it in for PSAS. I'm sure at least Super Bot's gonna support it for some time. I'm not sure about Activision and Sony doing anything about Declassified in the coming months. Road to Victory is our peace offering.

Massa

YOPO unfortunately, does not make any financial sense unless you are the console manufacturer. Only Sony will do this because they want to push the hardware.

Not really. People are more inclined to buy YOPO games because they think it's a great deal, and it's not like the developer is missing on sales from people that would have bought the game twice. That number is far more insignificant, specially for a downloadable game.

Skyzard

Banned
COD is fun but I'm thinking of trading it in for PSAS. I'm sure at least Super Bot's gonna support it for some time. I'm not sure about Activision and Sony doing anything about Declassified in the coming months. Road to Victory is our peace offering.

That can't be it surely - I'm guessing they were being optimistic again but will need to roll their sleeves up now..it will piss off too many people otherwise...people who actually bought a vita game. Can always pick it up later again as well. After getting to play PSAS thanks to the open beta I'd say it's a safe bet for some solid fun so you can't really go wrong although I'm not sure how much you'll miss the fps action...I'm starting to crave it with all the cod talk despite the negative press lol.

Top of the page so for you slackers:

JSR, Sine Mora next week (as well as Playstation All-Stars Battle-Royale for the UK).

And buy NFS:MW (just don't add too many people to your friends list with the game for now-affects multiplayer).

GameStop employee told me to Buy PS3 version of PSAS to get free Vita version then trade in PS3 version same day lol

The sneak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom