• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLP shows the negative influence of moe on cartoons, says veteran anime director

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
tumblr_mar4ssntw21reu9m2o1_400.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If he feels this way then he should give us the exact opposite of it the very next opportunity he gets. Looking at future line ups this isn't likely to happen so yea.... (I can't say I disagree though)

Sielys

Is moe really so terrible for a show aimed at children? I don't really see the big deal, there's not much moe, if any, in mature western animation, form what I've seen. Superjail, Venture Bros, etc.

Gotchaye

I thought basically everyone thought that the new MLP was at least no worse than older versions of same, so it's hard to see how "moe" could contribute to MLP in a negative way.

iammeiam

So a guy who directed Golden Boy and an episode of Cream Lemon thinks moe is ruining American children's cartoons? There's some pretty big differences in target audience there.

The newer MLP designs always reminded me more of Bratz Poniez than moe anime, so I don't think the two are all that closely tied.

It's certainly not as socially fatal to be a Brony in the States as it is to rub one off to moé in Japan. Overall, Japan's had worse, and we've merely hit the tip of the iceberg. I certainly respect the MLP fan community and appreciate them for the people they are, but some people do take it too far sometimes.

For the most part, though, they stick to making Awesome Fan Art™.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The newer MLP designs always reminded me more of Bratz Poniez than moe anime, so I don't think the two are all that closely tied.

Art wise it reminds me more of (and not surprisingly) the stuff Faust worked on before like Fosters Home, and Powerpuff Girls.

Also the whole moeblob thing in anime, I label based on characterization, I don't think art has much play in it. There are plenty of adorable, cute anime characters that are good characters.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I never got into the whole moe thing, the extend of my 'moe' consists of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Blood the last vampire was a touching movie.

TxdoHawk

So a guy who directed Golden Boy and an episode of Cream Lemon...

I had to look up what this was for some reason and saw this on Wikipedia:

Related to the Cream Lemon series is the Project A-Ko series, which was originally to be the third installment of Cream Lemon but changed while in production to be a mainstream title. The only remaining indication is the bath scene with B-ko.

Mind = blown.

tafer

I think several people made the same connection (moe-mlp) when the whole "brony" phenomenon was starting.

It kinda died with time, the show and the fandom it created are an entire new different beast.

kyoya

I had the opportunity to meet Kitakubo at an Anime Expo many years ago - very nice and insightful guy. I find it really sad that he has not directed anything since Blood: The Last Vampire, he's a very talented director. Production I.G. must be an extremely difficult place to work from what I've read, and I have to wonder if Kitakubo is still employed there.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I think several people made the same connection (moe-mlp) when the whole "brony" phenomenon was starting.

It kinda died with time, the show and the fandom it created are an entire new different beast.

I think you'll see this happen in lots of things.

One group in one country makes something, it goes over to another country and sparks a similar but different movement, with the second country's group more or less riffing on/reinventing it. If this is anything like that, MLP might gain a following in Japan, and spark something new too.

But that's just conjecture
on a horrible nightmare dystopia in the making

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One things for certain, Little Ponies seem to affect many of you.

Seems like a bad joke to feel strongly about it.

Lately I've begun to think of a woman I saw on a news report when it comes to people with strong feelings over ponies, video game developers making the "games we deserve" and so forth:

This adult lady of like 40 years was standing in front of a grocery store with armloads of twinkie boxes (and no, she wasn't overweight). And she was crying. She was in tears, and choked up. Why? Because she said, that her grandchildren wouldn't grow up knowing what a twinkie was.

Think of the twinkies. Club a pony today.

I once said on GAF that MLP and its adult fandom are kind of America discovering its own "moe". It's not that it's the same thing, but it seems to strike the same chord that moe does in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom