• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision press event...NEWS FLASH: The Wii is fun and 1080p games look great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

I spent all day yesterday in Activision's Santa Monica offices playing Wii, PS3, 360, DS, and PSP games and had a great time. While everything is embargoed until tomorrow for the earliest stuff, I can say that the Wii is dang fun. I was able to pick it up, poke around with it, and check out everything about it. I can't believe how tidy it and sleek it is.

As for the games, stuff running in 1080p on the PS3 look incredible. Wii games look ok, but I don't think the best graphics are going to come out of Activision published games, but they are committed to 480p and 16:9 on their games. Everything on the 360 looked and played well, but it seems that the PS3 has the edge graphically across the board already (shader effects especially).

About 30 members of the media were there. IGN sent Matt Cassamasamasmsisnisna, Mark Bozon, and about 2 or 3 others. 1up had Matt Leone, but I think he was flying solo. There were guys from Joystiq, PGC, Gamespot, and a few other outlets as well.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!

Mrbob

Striek said:
Activision games are running in 1080p now?

WTF?

Can't say what games you were playing? :(

Well there are 3 PS3 launch games: Tony Hawk Project 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Call of Duty 3. Tony Hawk Project 8 has already been confirmed to be 1080P/60FPS on PS3, which is damn impressive.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Probably no new Wii games just Tony Hawks Downhill Jam (which better be better then at E3), Call of Duty and err yeah Marvel. Saw that running on PS3 at E3 looked ok I guess.

Mrbob said:
Well there are 3 PS3 launch games: Tony Hawk Project 8, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Call of Duty 3. Tony Hawk Project 8 has already been confirmed to be 1080P/60FPS on PS3, which is damn impressive.

Are you sure you're not confusing Tony Hawk with EA's new title called "SKATE"? That is the only skateboarding game confirmed in 1080p as far as I know. But yeah, Marvel should be in 1080p and I guess the same could go for CoD3 and Tony Hawk(unless it's already confirmed).

Jeff-DSA

Smiles and Cries said:
nice bit of news since the IGN boys are not even talking about it yet

Tomorrow is when the first embargo date is up with one ending as late as the 25th; so stuff will come trickling in for the rest of the month.

ThirdEye

Impossible! NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121819
Interview with Richard Teversham, director of platform and marketing for EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) said to Dutch website FOK!games that he guarantees that Xbox 360 titles will look superior to PlayStation 3 games for the next two to three years.

"I guarantee that Xbox 360 games will look better than PS3. Xbox 360 is easy to develop on and programmers have experience already. We will keep ahead of the curve for two to three years"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
what type of event was this? only activision games or something?
and im guessing you wont be able to tell us what games until tommorrow.
i hope this is on the 1up show or 1up yours.

Jeff-DSA

m0dus said:
As in?

It's my understanding that both systems will utilize the SAME shader effects, only the processes that produce said effects are different due to the different nature of each chipset (I say this, having built systems utilizing twin 7800's and x1900's, and having been privy to fanboy arguments with side-by-side 3dmark comparisons as to which one did "better" shading, HDR, and the like) IE, my understanding is that it is a very subjective argument between the two? That's what I'm curious about on the consoles, since it's essentially the same issue.

Well, speaking with a dev that was there he said they could just do more with the PS3's ability to handle shaders. There were some distortion effects that were credited (by the developer) to the PS3's shader abilities that were absent in the same 360 title. It wasn't game changing or anything, but it looked cool.

EDIT: We have to be cautious though, I guess. Some of this might be that specific dev's understanding of the hardware. It would be hard to believe that they don't know how to get more out of the 360 at this point than the PS3...but you never know.

bud

m0dus said:
As in?

It's my understanding that both systems will utilize the SAME shader effects, only the processes that produce said effects are different due to the different nature of each chipset (I say this, having built systems utilizing twin 7800's and x1900's, and having been privy to fanboy arguments with side-by-side 3dmark comparisons as to which one did "better" shading, HDR, and the like) IE, my understanding is that it is a very subjective argument between the two? That's what I'm curious about on the consoles, since it's essentially the same issue.

It's my understanding hat you're an xbox.

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, speaking with a dev that was there he said they could just do more with the PS3's ability to handle shaders. There were some distortion effects that were credited (by the developer) to the PS3's shader abilities that were absent in the same 360 title. It wasn't game changing or anything, but it looked cool.

EDIT: We have to be cautious though, I guess. Some of this might be that specific dev's understanding of the hardware. It would be hard to believe that they don't know how to get more out of the 360 at this point than the PS3...but you never know.
based on what i've heard devs saying, my belief has always been this... that the 360 can theoretically do any shader that the ps3 can, but that the ps3 has more over head for shader effects allowing either longer shaders than the 360 version of the same game could handle, or additional shaders.

i don't think there's any limit on what the two can do shader wise other than how it impacts performance, and the word is that the ps3 can do 'more'. those long shaders or additional shaders are things you could get the 360 to do, but only at the expense of something else.

again, this is how i heard it. take with however much salt your predetermined bias dictates.

Jeff-DSA said:
Tomorrow is when the first embargo date is up with one ending as late as the 25th; so stuff will come trickling in for the rest of the month.

So I guess some new games were shown thus the need for an embargo

Do shaders help with lighting? I've seen a lot better implementation of lighting in PS3 games, The Getaway from last year really showed what I want visually from next gen, there was some great natural lighting in the Getaway demo.

Striek

travisbickle said:
Do shaders help with lighting? I've seen a lot better implementation of lighting in PS3 games, The Getaway from last year really showed what I want visually from next gen, there was some great natural lighting in the Getaway demo.
Yep, Heavenly Sword.

travisbickle said:

Yep :)

And I agree... that Getaway realtime demo was very impressive... the best lighting effects I´ve seen so far... Too bad it wasn´t ingame...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
leesmapman said:
I thought Activision wouldn't release PS3 games until 2007?
You're thinking of Eidos, maybe. Activision has been planning a few launch window PS3 games for quite awhile now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mrbob said:

WTF???? The Tony Hawk game is 1080p and 60FPS???

When the hell did this happen?

mckmas8808

travisbickle said:

YES! I believe Heavenly Sword is using shader power for their HDR lighting.

Tieno

Y2Kevbug11 said:
PS3 GET IN MAH BELLAY
fatbastard.jpg

Jeff-DSA

svenuce said:
yay for breaking ndas?

I didn't say anything that would break any NDAs. You can't be much more vague than I have been. Any substantial stuff is being said (or speculated on for a better word) by others.

I'm free to talk about PS3 and Xbox hardware stuff. I just can't talk about specific titles.

ThirdEye

Jim said:
They have 3 launch titles available on day 1 (Call of Duty 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Tony Hawk's Project 8).
The distortion shader is unlikely for COD3 and TH so it must be Marvel.

Borys

Banned
CoD3 running in 1080p on PS3 would be a BIG coup for Sony. That game ain't no GT: HD or Virtua Tennis when it comes to scene complexity and textures.

I hope it *will* be 1080p, but it probably won't.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Borys said:
CoD3 running in 1080p on PS3 would be a BIG coup for Sony. That game ain't no GT: HD or Virtua Tennis when it comes to scene complexity and textures.

I hope it *will* be 1080p, but it probably won't.

They already have LAIR running in 1080p and that game is pushing the limits...and they have GT Premium and RR7 and such.

el Croux

Was COD3 on PS3 in good shape? Edge's recent preview said it was looking far from ready for the November launch, with rudimentary shaders in place and a rubbish framerate.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
What is a distortion shader?
You know how fanboys from one platform like to come into threads related to another platform in order to post FUD? A distortion shader is kinda like that.

el Croux said:
Was COD3 on PS3 in good shape? Edge's recent preview said it was looking far from ready for the November launch, with rudimentary shaders in place and a rubbish framerate.

don't magazines usually have huge lead times though? Even if it was a recent preview in the magazine, it could've been from 2 months ago, lol

el Croux

soul creator said:
don't magazines usually have huge lead times though? Even if it was a recent preview in the magazine, it could've been from 2 months ago, lol

Yeah, they mentioned that they were shown the build with some reluctance.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
They already have LAIR running in 1080p and that game is pushing the limits...and they have GT Premium and RR7 and such.

Pushing the limits?

Factor5 said Lair was using less than 50% of the power.

ypo

I'm sure the PS3 version has extra few hours of development time. It's all about extra development time baby!

J-Rzez

ypo said:
I'm sure the PS3 version has extra few hours of development time. It's all about extra development time baby!

Yeah... either that or maybe one console can do things better than the other? Who'd thunk it? All I know is for Activision titles to be running in 1080p, that's pretty impressive... I never put them up on the charts for being in the "programming know" side of things, and would just expect a wash across the boards with ports...

mckmas8808

J-Rzez said:
Yeah... either that or maybe one console can do things better than the other? Who'd thunk it? All I know is for Activision titles to be running in 1080p, that's pretty impressive... I never put them up on the charts for being in the "programming know" side of things, and would just expect a wash across the boards with ports...

Seems like lots of companies are doing things a little better on the PS3. I guess that easier 360 to program for is as true as we once thought.

mckmas8808 said:
Seems like lots of companies are doing things a little better on the PS3. I guess that easier 360 to program for is as true as we once thought.

What if that´s true, 360 IS easier to program for...it´s just that PS3 is better hardware?? ;)

J-Rzez said:

He was being sarcastic because anytime its suggested that the PS3 can do more the first you hear is "its because of extra development time".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom