• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So. I got my X today from a Gamestop online order, purchased after the reserves re-appeared.

Came with Ninja Masters (A GREAT game I FINALLY get to play without Glitches! YAYAYA!), and was shipped in a box bigger than itself, no shipping eggs or such on the inside, but the box was in perfect condition, so no issues there!

One user on NeoGeo.com forums says the system reminds him of a cheap Atari Retro console (I actually just got an Atari Flashback 4 a few days ago..)... let me say that, to me, this couldn't be further from the truth!

The console Dock: I never had an AES, but I'm to believe this is smaller than it was? It's almost as wide as my 360! I don't think it feels cheap, either; The hydrolics that cause the case to open move with a smooth, well made feel, and the finished interior is obviously created in a way to be a plesant dock for the system to rest in. A truly cheap version of this would have no finish, obviously be made of one piece of plastic, and have off-edges and poorly shaped pieces that feel rickety and quick-cut. This feels solid, perhaps not like something you'd want to toss around or "drop down a flight of stairs" like the old Gamecube, but something that should last, if you treat it as expected.

Joystick: It really is quite light, and I'm experiencing the "Takes a more dedicated push to the right, to register, than any other direction", that some have mentioned. This isn't horrible, and I wonder if, after wear and tear, if I might appreciate the main side of activity to start off a little sturdier... but that remains to be seen.

Overall, the buttons have a nice jump, and the joystick itself give a plesant clicky sound that makes the Neo Geo Pocket owner side of me smile. I do wish it was heavier, but my main stick is a T.E, sooo...

The Neo button lineup is something I never personally had at home, I just remember it from Arcade cabinets long ago, and trying to replicate it on the T.E for some old SNK games. I had a fun time trying out Hwa Jai in KoF XIII with it, but yeah, the thing will take some getting used to...

THE PORTABLE!: Ahhh, the meat and potatoes! Ok, the screen is not the quality of a Vita screen, at all. And it's viewing angle is a bit odd (More of a "tilt slight towards self while playing" than most systems, which I tend to tilt backwards.) but I actually really like it's look. It reminds me of playing these games on old CRTs, or in the actual cabinets in the arcades. The games have a clean, crisp look that isn't really "HD", but is more of a "Exactly what they're suppose to be" kind of look.

For a fun comparision, I played Alpha Mission II on my VITA and NGX at the same time, comparing each... I'm surprised I actually like the X's look more, as it's colors LOOKED like what you'd expect things to (the background base of stage 1 was grey, like steel), whereas the Vita looked a bit over-done (the same area looked like a nice, slate green?), which is not to say it looked bad at all, but Vita reminded me of "Playing an old system on an overly new TV", while the X reminded me of playing these games on the Hardware of it's time. It feels like a classy product of the 90s, basically.

I think the stick on the system works even better than the Joystick. I had the easiest time running through Metal Slug stage 1 and 2 on it, that I've had in years of jumping through PS1, PS2, Saturn, and Xbox Emulation.

The buttons seems perfectly good too, though I feel horrible mashing them away in games like King of the Monsters and 3 Count Bout. I hope they're ready for some wear and tear!

I really like the size, personally. I like that it has some width, and that I'm not in danger of my thumbs constantly tapping onto the "active" areas of the screen. The games really, oddly, don't look bad stretched, either... Though I still prefer 4:3.

The Image Quality: First of all, NONE of it looks as bad as plugging in a PS2 to an HDTV with (whichever the default cables were, composite/component... I do get them mixed up.) You can tell there's a scaling issue right off the bat however, when there are black areas within the white "NEO GEO MAX 330 MEG" text on the boot screens. This, to me, is less evident in the games, however.

That screen tearing... Reminds me of running the NeoRage emulator on my old PC. It's not a tear like in Dragon's Dogma, where just areas towards the top of the screen tear for a second... it's a wave that decends from the top of the screen, all the way throught the image, when scrolling around.

It doesn't mess with gameplay, and you can easily tune it out, but on flashing screens, it normally leaves one seeing a part of the FLASH that is obviously off, which is annoying.

---Handheld: The preference. Once you hold the system correctly, it looks great. My Vita might be bigger, and more overly-colorful, but this looks like a dream I had back when I got my Atari Lynx & Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Volume on system seems good. I don't notice any odd audio distortions, and it seems loud enough to sound like it's BLASTING in a quiet room.

---AV Output: Seriously minimizes most of the issues, making it hard to see any imperfections in the Neo Logo, for instance. The colors are a bit washed out, but I'll join the group that says this is actually preferable to the HDMI, which looks unnaturally crisp, for me, anyway.

It does look closer to the "real" thing this way. I agree with the people who say it's kinda like playing through a VCR.

Volume is fairly low, but not a big deal. I can turn up my TV to get it comfortable, without "blowing out the speakers" or anything like that. Turning back to HDMI with the volume high is a bit jump-worthy, but not ear-shattering.

---HDMI Output: As mentioned above, it's overly-crisp in some ways, and could really benefit from a solid scanline filter. I do get some overscan on the top and bottom of the screen, but nothing major disappears.

Could you play the system these ways!?: Surely. It's a fantastic compromise to being able to play a portable with 2 people, and I appreciate it's inclusion a LOT, as it's much cheaper than buying a new portable, and not even that much more than buying a second controller for a current gen system. I really hope they update the firmware as time goes on, and that the tearing disappears, but otherwise, I kinda feel like this thing has let me move an old CRT and clasically expensive Neo Geo into my room, at a fraction of the cost of console + controller + these games.

Reccomended / Final Throughts?: As a person who never owned a Neo, this is like a bit of a dream come true:) And considering I could get it with credit from trades, rather than pure cash, this also ends up being much cheaper for me than paying the comparable price / time to try and pull anything of this sort together through resellers and after-market dealers.

This FEELS like what a new Neo Geo on a standard TV would have been, back in the day. It might not be the direct intention, and more of a happy accident, but I'm a bit happier playing through this part-filled reproduction, than I am playing through emulations on modern hardware.

As my eyes trace the Joystick cord, to the AES-shell, to the not-so-modern-looking video signal on my time-warped Panasonic TV, I feel like my Elementry School self is sitting there, screaming "HOW MANY BIRTHDAYS AND CHRISTMASES DID YOU HAVE TO SAVE UP FOR THAT!?!?!", lol.

My Techy side might be looking over the imperfections, shaking it's head, waiting for updates, and my enthusiast side might be wondering about how great the EXACT hardware and software might be, regardless of prices, but the "Plays games for fun" and "value!" sides of me are all camped around the Shiny New Toy, rocking back and forward like happy children on Christmas Eve, who just got to open one of their presents early, and don't know if they'll ever be able to take their eyes off this one...

Shoyz

"We're sorry. This item is limited to 3 per customer."
Something tells me the cart edit is a bug. Either way I doubt they have more than a thousand of these sitting in their warehouse.. especially since they shouldn't be producing any more limited editions.

Wonder when we'll see regular units?

BriBri

Amazon has the system in stock again.

http://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-X-GOLD-Limited-Electronic-Games/dp/B0093G9VOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1356416932&tag=snkplaymore-20&sr=1-1&keywords=NEOGEO+X+GOLD

You can add 999 quantities. Doesn't look like it's going to be a collector's item anytime soon.
I don't mean to sound like a butt hurt UK gamer but that Amazon price converts as £123.28. It's £175 in the UK. All I want is the bloody handheld and it's XL/Vita price levels:(

I don't mean to sound like a butt hurt UK gamer but that Amazon price converts as £123.28. It's £175 in the UK. All I want is the bloody handheld and it's XL/Vita price levels:(

In terms of 'real' pricing, you need to subtract 20% from the UK price for an accurate comparison because that's part of the list price whereas US sales tax (specific to each state) is not. Products themselves are rarely a rip-off, VAT is just very high.

Still, the effect on the end buyer is the same...

hayejin

"We're sorry. This item is limited to 3 per customer."
Something tells me the cart edit is a bug. Either way I doubt they have more than a thousand of these sitting in their warehouse.. especially since they shouldn't be producing any more limited editions.

Wonder when we'll see regular units?

3 qty limit is normal for any newly released item or preorders. But when you goto Edit Qty in the View Cart, you can increase the qty to max 999. If they had less than 999 then the cart actually updates to available remaining quantity.
It's not actually the most eagerly waited item or PS4 or Xbox 720 so I don't doubt Amazon has plenty available.

x8dGS.jpg

Shoyz

That's assuming someone actually set a max number of units, given the discrepancy with the 'max 3' thing I wouldn't be so sure.

Kind of a jip though if only <12/6 orders were 'supposed' to be the LEs and Amazon just got 1k+ more after the initial stock.

The NeoGeo X mods/hacking thread on the neo-geo.com forums is moving right along, and they've discovered some fascinating tidbits in their reverse engineering so far... Here's a quick list of points I thought were particularly interesting:

• The OS is Linux, and its running software emulation (FBA - open source)
  • There are already three versions of the firmware that they know about - the earliest is found on an early hardware itteration that has a MicroSD card glued to the motherboard; by removing this MicroSD card and examining the contents, they've basically got everything they need to figure out how to crack the system.
  • There are a number of emulators on a partition on the memory card, including Famicom, Super Famicom, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and the MegaDrive... oh ya, and there's a Playstation emu with the PSX bios file included!

There's some wondering about the licensing of the FBA emulator (did they talk to the creators?) because they are selling ROMS to play on it, and that's technically a breach of license... and the Playstation bios is a no-no as far as I understand... but the good news is that it's all pretty open, so a working custom firmware is almost a certainty at this point...

GrayFoxPL

The NeoGeo X mods/hacking thread on the neo-geo.com forums is moving right along, and they've discovered some fascinating tidbits in their reverse engineering so far... Here's a quick list of points I thought were particularly interesting:

• There are already three versions of the firmware that they know about - the earliest is found on an early hardware itteration that has a MicroSD card glued to the motherboard; by removing this MicroSD card and examining the contents, they've basically got everything they need to figure out how to crack the system.
  • There are a number of emulators on a partition on the memory card, including Famicom, Super Famicom, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and the MegaDrive... oh ya, and there's a Playstation emu with the PSX bios file included!

There's some wondering about the licensing of the FBA emulator (did they talk to the creators?) because they are selling ROMS to play on it, and that's technically a breach of license... and the Playstation bios is a no-no as far as I understand... but the good news is that it's all pretty open, so a working custom firmware is almost a certainty at this point...

Holy crap that's shitty as fuck. They just throw in random emulators and go: "Hai, so we do neogeo now, k?"

savor100

Sounds like this device was rushed and they were looking to make a few quick bucks. I still can't believe this handheld is plagued by freaking screen tearing.

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh wow, sounds like a complete hack-job. I have doubts that they would be so stupid as to put a bunch of other unused emulators on the SD card and a PSX bios. If they are using Final Burn to emulate, they better be giving some of the money to the authors or using it under licence - it states clearly in the readme you cannot sell the emulator. I might as well stick a NeoGeo badge on my PSP which has the same emulator.

DSFan1970

Oh wow, sounds like a complete hack-job. I have doubts that they would be so stupid as to put a bunch of other unused emulators on the SD card and a PSX bios. If they are using Final Burn to emulate, they better be giving some of the money to the authors or using it under licence - it states clearly in the readme you cannot sell the emulator. I might as well stick a NeoGeo badge on my PSP which has the same emulator.

This has to be the most baffling thing I have read in a while. I thought Tommo's plan was to sell the cards? So that was a sham? They had no intention? Can't blame someone at the factory as Tommo supplied the software.

I love how everyone was rushing to buy the cards to show their support for not pirating it, then the creators are themselves pirating for all intents.

Bizarre.

Agent X

It sounds like the portable device (or at least the innards) was intended at one time to be a multi-system emulator, but was then repurposed as an official SNK Neo-Geo product.

The manufacturer might want to nix the PlayStation BIOS from future production runs, if they haven't done so already.

This has to be the most baffling thing I have read in a while. I thought Tommo's plan was to sell the cards? So that was a sham? They had no intention? Can't blame someone at the factory as Tommo supplied the software.

I love how everyone was rushing to buy the cards to show their support for not pirating it, then the creators are themselves pirating for all intents.

Bizarre.

It is bizarre, although not entirely unheard of. The Commodore 64 Direct-to-TV had 30 games which were all fully licensed, but I remember reading that they had to resort to using "cracked" copies of a couple of the games because of some difficulties obtaining legitimate original disks or getting them in a usable form.

FBA..?

Nice choice of emulator if I may so, very fast compared to bloat-ware like MAME.

I remember,for a laugh, running 24 Neo-Geo games simultaneously,each in a separate 320x240 window a while back..then pushing F3 to do a reset to sync them all, could have run more, such was the speed of it, but ran out of screen space.

..ahhh, things we do when bored.

Oh wow, sounds like a complete hack-job.

Recent findings only confirm suspicions I have had from the beginning. L and R buttons assigned menu and display functions and that 16:9 ratio really had me skeptical that this was intended as a dedicated anything.

Oh well. Bring on extended functionality!

Stupid question guys, but do you feel some sort of resistance when closing the handheld into the AES shell? I checked and it's not marking up the system, but it doesn't close as smoothly as when theres nothing inside. I pushed the system into the dock as much as possible.

Sorry to sound paranoid, but the whole family chipped in to get this for me for XMas but I don't wanna fuck it up in the first 20 minutes of playing with it. Thanks and happy holidays all.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Stupid question guys, but do you feel some sort of resistance when closing the handheld into the AES shell? I checked and it's not marking up the system, but it doesn't close as smoothly as when theres nothing inside. I pushed the system into the dock as much as possible.

Sorry to sound paranoid, but the whole family chipped in to get this for me for XMas but I don't wanna fuck it up in the first 20 minutes of playing with it. Thanks and happy holidays all.

Have not noticed any, but do notice the Menu Button on the Dock seems to press the menu button on the stick when it's pressed; maybe your menu button is too far down or something? That'd be the first thing I'd check... not sure what else would be pressing aganist the system in any way.

Since the thing is a fingerprint magnet, and takes on any little smudge very easily, perhaps you can see where it's making some contact by looking for a smudge?

---

THe "hack" stuff is all very interesting, and fast, so.. yeah. I'm most interested in seeing people who stand to make some money from the product support it, but it'll be nice to watch this all develop. As a PSP owner, though, I never really get a good taste in my mouth, when I know such developments will just inevitably harm the marketability and life of the product... (much of it is their own fault here, though, sooo...)

...of course, who knows, the exact opposite could happen here! So will just have to watch as things develop...

Galdelico

Man... I remember seeing this coming lol.

mosaic

go eat paint
I want one...but not sure about $199.99.

Depends what you're looking for. I'm satisfied with my purchase, but I wanted a machine to plug into an old school TV that wouldn't break the bank or require illegitimate means to get running. After tweaking my TVs, I'm pleased with the video quality. The well-built controllers have certainly turned out to be a plus. I have to admit though, I'll be sad if they never put out cards with KOF 98, Garou, or Super Baseball 2020....

I'd love to own an AES again, but at $600+ for just the unit, that's ridic....

If you're into emulation and packing ROMs onto a device, the work of the folks over at neo-geo.com pretty much ensures the handheld will be useful for that sort of thing "real soon now."

DoubleTap

Thanks guys!

Let me just clarify that the only time you can't play it while charging is when it's plugged into a PC. It goes into USB mode and stays there.

After spending more time with the handheld, I'm loving it. I bought the NGX primarily for replicating the AES console experience, but playing with the hybrid joystick/d-pad is quite enjoyable.

Dave Long

Banned
Depends what you're looking for. I'm satisfied with my purchase, but I wanted a machine to plug into an old school TV that wouldn't break the bank or require illegitimate means to get running. After tweaking my TVs, I'm pleased with the video quality. The well-built controllers have certainly turned out to be a plus. I have to admit though, I'll be sad if they never put out cards with KOF 98, Garou, or Super Baseball 2020....

I'd love to own an AES again, but at $600+ for just the unit, that's ridic....

If you're into emulation and packing ROMs onto a device, the work of the folks over at neo-geo.com pretty much ensures the handheld will be useful for that sort of thing "real soon now."
AES can be had for about $200 but obviously it won't come with games.

Mine finally turned up from Fun Stock, loving this thing so far, it looks great on my TV and the handheld is of pretty good quality too, although not exactly ergonomic. I can imagine it cramping my hands after an extended play session. The arcade stick is kinda clacky, but seems to be sturdy enough and replicates the arcade experience well. Going to have to order another stick at some point for that 2 player action. Glad I ended up pre-ordering though, as I had never played Ninja Masters before, but it's fucking AWESOME! No idea how I managed to overlook this one in the past.

iFspUSZeSYmj5.jpg

Any word on future catridges they might release? There's a lot of games I'd love to see on this thing.

The packaging was OK, just came in a big old FedEx box with a ton of bubble wrap. Glad it arrived intact, as I've had problems with FedEx bashing about packages in the past.

BriBri

The packaging was OK, just came in a big old FedEx box with a ton of bubble wrap. Glad it arrived intact, as I've had problems with FedEx bashing about packages in the past.
Bubble wrap aplenty helps. Payday priorities are to get my capacitor fixed on my TurboExpress, get my Super Famicom Jr. modded to play on my UK TV and then either a CMVS, Wii U or Neo Geo X. Only problems are CMVS is eternally expensive, with the opposite problem of the Wii U and Neo Geo X in that they'll (probably) see a price reduction the moment after purchasing:/

I'm on the fence. I had an AES back in the day. Have some Neo Geo Station games on PS3, the PS2 collections. Would be nice to have for sure though.

Takao

Banned
Isn't distributing the PSX Bios without Sony's consent illegal? lol these guys better hope that SCE's lawyers are still turkey tired.

Isn't distributing the PSX Bios without Sony's consent illegal? lol these guys better hope that SCE's lawyers are still turkey tired.
Well ya... It remains to be seen if it's really on all these X Gold units or only the early ones with the MicroSD cards glued to the MB, but the manufacturer is likely to get slammed something fierce if Sony catches wind of it - and honestly, now that the the news is out there, I can't see Sony not hearing about it evenutually... I'm thinking if that happens, whatever systems are left on store shelves will get pulled off in a hurry, and who knows if they'll be able to re-build the software and sell them after that... And still no word on whether or not they had an agreement to distribute the Final Burn emu...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430-iM_kXT0 lukemorse1 reviews the system; he hates it, pretty much. The video compares his actual Neo-Geo to this clone, and yeah, it's very easy to see how much worse the Neo Geo X Gold's picture is... you can't tell the system build quality differences he complains about from a video, but you sure can see the difference in video and sound output! It looks worse than Neo-Geo emulation on a ten year old computer. Disappointing indeed.

When I saw that they were putting a 16:9 screen on a Neo-Geo only handheld, though, I was worried that something like this might happen... too bad, it could have been great.

If it works like an AES, you're going to have about five credits per game. That's it. Run out and it's game over. No way to add more. Continue functions on a lot of the old stuff just didn't exist unless you had the memory card.

Even then, the memory card doesn't always save what you would expect. For example in League Bowling it does NOT save scores, just your ball weight and handedness.

Having no memory card support isn't good.

Neo-Geo AES memory cards almost never save your scores. They save game progress and sometimes settings, but not the high-score table; to save that, you need an MVS. But yeah, losing things like the level select in the Metal Slug games, which you get with a memory card, is a pretty serious problem. Level select is less necessary in the fighting games (yes, the KOF games use the memory card to save the stage you're at, not for scores), but still, no memory card support? What in the world are they doing? I, at least, might rule out buying one on that issue alone... particularly with the worse video and sound it seems to have too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How does the Neo-Geo X stack up to a CFW PSP 3000 or PSP Go? Is the screen actually better? Does the emulation run better? The PSP Neo-Geo emulator also allows you to change the language and region, plus switch between AES and MVS. This is all stuff I hope either gets added in via some kind of firmware update (is that possible on the NGX?) or whenever it gets fully-hacked.

Most on the Neo-Geo forums seem to agree that there's no harm in charging it with the options presented above by DoubleTap. The system will eventually come dock-less, so you KNOW there has to be a way to charge it without it.

So concensus is, have no fear! Charge it with whatever fits, and is of the same voltage. (Believe it's 5v).

Any recommendation on a safe charger for this guy?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I kinda wish there was a Neo Geo MVS cabinet with all the games on it, like those Arcade Legends cabinets. Just throwing it out there.

mosaic

go eat paint
I kinda wish there was a Neo Geo MVS cabinet with all the games on it, like those Arcade Legends cabinets. Just throwing it out there.

I'm so not posting the link, but a company at one time did sell a gray market MVS/AES cartridge with darn near every game on it... no way it was legal, but it was sold on a rather familiar site to Neo Freaks. Thing cost like $650.

Peagles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430-iM_kXT0 lukemorse1 reviews the system; he hates it, pretty much. The video compares his actual Neo-Geo to this clone, and yeah, it's very easy to see how much worse the Neo Geo X Gold's picture is... you can't tell the system build quality differences he complains about from a video, but you sure can see the difference in video and sound output! It looks worse than Neo-Geo emulation on a ten year old computer. Disappointing indeed.

Finally a review that actually shows some detail! This is what I've been waiting for and I'm sorry to say I won't be getting one now.

Although I did see this coming, especially that sound emulation, eurgh! Blaze, why do you do this to us?

Top Bottom