• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SemiA Rumor: Xbox 720 silicon finalized

Things are heating up! :D Come Sony it's your turn, we need some PS4 info now damn it!

http://www.neowin.net/news/is-microsoft-already-teasing-us-with-a-next-xbox-countdown

Is Microsoft already teasing us with a "next Xbox" countdown?

Microsoft has been attending the Electronic Entertainment Expo video game-based trade show, better known as E3, since it started in the mid-1990s. This year's E3 will officially be held on June 11-13 in Los Angeles but typically Microsoft holds a pre-E3 press conference in LA the day before the trade show officially starts.

Today, the Major Nelson website, run by Microsoft's Larry Hryb, did something that it has never done before. It posted a countdown clock that will reach zero when E3 2013 begins. Hryb's only statement on the post was, "And it’s on…"

Already many commentators on the post are speculating that Hryb went ahead and posted the countdown clock so early as a tease that Microsoft has some extra-special planned for E3 2013. Unless all the Internet rumors and leaks prove to be bogus, it's likely that Microsoft could use E3 as the first place to show off the third generation Xbox game console.

Some rumors, including one report in one of the last print issues of Xbox World in November, claimed that the next Xbox would in fact be revealed well before E3 2013. However, we suspect that may not be correct as Microsoft still has a number of major Xbox 360 first and third party games that are due to be released before June, including Gears of War Judgement in March. We don't think Microsoft would risk revealing the next Xbox before all of those games ship to stores.

Karak

The sentiment is that people are leaning towards Durango for overall power, because of the cpu and ram advantage, but the resulting games will be close in graphical quality.

Could be true depending on tools and where that power lies. Does that bit allow for a resolution bump? An AA bump, unique effects, Locked 60 FPS versus variable down to 45? Than you are talking about a noticeable difference.

it also depends on how MS locks those resources and how much they want to push those extra bits. That will be something written into the OS right up until launch. One thing we have seen is that later windows OS's require less and less memory but CAN use more and more. A lean OS isn't beyond the realm of possibility and a power hungry massive CPU eating KinectN is pretty far fetched.

DieH@rd

Banned
To be fair to Jeff and reading Charlie's latest article (Posted ~24 hours after a poster in the above thread asked), he isn't any better.

And the rant at the end of the article is silly.

Charlie is constantly silly and likes to complicate things [posting several arthicles with widely diferent claims, often badly writen to induce confusion], but at least we know that he has ties with the tech industry.

His most concrete and no-nonsense article about nextgen consoles is this one:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/02/...l-be-an-x86-cpu-with-an-amd-gpu/#.UOSTcTWoGv0

I want both Xbox & Playstation to be like Ryu & Ken I hope their both powerful and unique in their own way - like someone else said im getting a warranty fuck taking risk this time with any of them lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If either Sony or MS are planning to launch in fiscal 2013, will they be required to inform investors in their 2012 year end report, due to expected huge investment during 2013 for initial production?

Even just a small mention to give us a rough idea of launch timing?

DieH@rd

Banned
If either Sony or MS are planning to launch in fiscal 2013, will they be required to inform investors in their 2012 year end report, due to expected huge investment during 2013 for initial production?

Even just a small mention to give us a rough idea of launch timing?

They dont have to say anything publicly... except exact numbers on R&D funding. But those numbers are always high.

Stewox

Banned
Meh. Go play your inferior ports of current gen games. Durango is on its way. Excite!

That didn't mean I own the device yet.

All the problems will be fixed in the duration it takes for your console to start, load the UI, and then finally bring up the browser.

Yeah, and with all the Wii U lockups I'm regretting not getting the warranty for it. After this current gen, I won't be making that mistake again with the Xbox and PS (one RROD, and one YLOD. The RROD was replaced at no charge, the YLOD necessitated a Slim purchase).

Just to clear up. What issues WiiU has are all software-wise. Its not an overclocked Wii so it's from scrach, that OS update was because they were developing it to the last moments before US release. They better fix it or I'll send FAX to NOE!

Silicon error is a serious hardware bug, but the way first x360 CPU chips were designed they couldn't fix them(cpu code). All thrown in trash! Pile it up. Pile it up!

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I think people expecting 8GB+ of RAM and 8 cores will be very disappointed. Even on high end desktop PCs 8 cores are rare and VERY expensive. My guess is a Quad-core CPU of about 3.4Ghz and 4GBs of total RAM.

Also, and 8850 sounds like too much. Maybe a slower card?

But I think that MS's console will be more powerful than Sony's.

Karak

To be fair to Jeff and reading Charlie's latest article (Posted ~24 hours after a poster in the above thread asked), he isn't any better.

And the rant at the end of the article is silly.

Ya for sure. There is nothing wrong with collecting data, Jeff's special skill. Charlie seems to think he knows exactly what is up. And maybe he does.

Reiko

Banned
I think people expecting 8GB+ of RAM and 8 cores will be very disappointed. Even on high end desktop PCs 8 cores are rare and VERY expensive. My guess is a Quad-core CPU of about 3.4Ghz and 4GBs of total RAM.

Also, and 8850 sounds like too much. Maybe a slower card?

But I think that MS's console will be more powerful than Sony's.

Crytek.

Ya for sure. There is nothing wrong with collecting data, Jeff's special skill. Charlie seems to think he knows exactly what is up. And maybe he does.

Do you know anything about the gpus for sony/ms? Same? similar? Any truth to the Network On Chip rumours/speculation for Durango? Thanks.

because you wont get it

Why? Seven years of moores law... exponential increased in gpu/cpu speed... My old pc from 2007 with a gtx 460/c2d can play most games up to 2010 at that res and fps. Why do you think so strongly we wont see that?

If we dont see that, why the new console at all?

Proelite

8 jaguar cores at 1.6 ghz.
8 gb of DDR3/4 ram.

Totally doable.

ACH1LL3US

No, they look nice. What are you saying? Those look nice and are rendered at 720p? I dont understand the point you are making sorry.....

He is saying that is what next gen early on will be targeting graphic wise.

I think if they can do those games at 1080p... I will be shocked.

It's fairly obvious : those graphics are way beyond anything current-gen.

AND!!!!? I never said they weren't. We are talking about what resolution and possible frame rates we may see on the 720.

Those looks nice, I didn't say fantastic. You guys seems to be making a whole other point...

He is saying that is what next gen early on will be targeting graphic wise.

I think if they can do those games at 1080p... I will be shocked.

I guess I just expect too much coming from what I consider an "average" pc can do. Those games look nice, but I was not at all blown away by star wars. But that's me

Karak

Do you know anything about the gpus for sony/ms? Same? similar? Any truth to the Network On Chip rumors/speculation for Durango? Thanks.

One thing I think everyone forgets or doesn't seem to grasp about these companies is that they shoot for a couple ideas and their own financials, other companies tech, their own tech, and internal dialogue between groups always has the chance to change what we, the consumer, get at home in he final product. That means that many of the rumors that are then proven false weren't rumors at all but a company or companies deciding what to offer. This changes more often than people seem to grasp and way later than many seem to think possible.

Sony(or MS) may draw out 10-30 different versions of a system, year(s) before, and then, as time passes, they have to look at various specs, prices, and yields to decide what fits. They also look at the competition. Not only what they THINK maybe coming up but also what is out. That is one of the reasons that the hardware sees revision right up until fab time. That is why, every single generation, you see the back and forth between companies. Nvidia's deal for the xbox, AMD for the 360, memory structure, various companies involved and all the business behind it. These things are in constant flux and you can bet until the signatures are in place there is shopping going on at all times. EVEN at the risk of a potential delay.

There is TRUTH to almost all the rumors depending on the time it was said and how it was investigated by the company involved. Especially as something is proven false, that information is often leaked easier as the person doing so doesn't have as much of a worry.

MS may investigate an SLI full sized card in their box and see it as a great plan. Then, almost instantly, they would realize that won't work! As these systems get closer and closer to a final date of production where devs can be assured that what they get is going to be the same thing as what they are preparing for. And yes this was indeed one of many options bounced around.

I know nothing, nor have heard nothing about a network on a chip. However I never asked nor would that have been something that interests me and therefore would probably not have been hinted at.

GPU's Yes I know one thing. No one is right about the 720's. Might be close but still off. And you will be seeing mostly 1080p, 16AF capable stuff, but that will be up to the dev and what changes to the GPU are presented as a final chip and what strengths or weaknesses that imparts.

I guess I just expect too much coming from what I consider an "average" pc can do. Those games look nice, but I was not at all blown away by star wars. But that's me
As a first run game on a new system at 1080p and various other effects I think that Star Wars would be an impressive game. Just impressive. If you start with Star Wars as a baseline, as we did with early 360 games or early PS3 games, than you can see that there will be a large jump upon second and third wave titles.

I agree with your consensus. I too love my PC and Star Wars, compared to Watch Dogs, did not impress me much. Though, for all intents and purposes, both are doable on at least 1 of the next gen machines for sure.

Compatibility:
Is happening.

One thing I think everyone forgets or doesn't seem to grasp about these companies is that they shoot for a couple ideas and their own financials, other companies tech, their own tech, and internal dialogue between groups always has the chance to change what we, the consumer, get at home in he final product. That means that many of the rumors that are then proven false weren't rumors at all but a company or companies deciding what to offer. This changes more often than people seem to grasp and way later than many seem to think possible.

Sony(or MS) may draw out 10-30 different versions of a system, year(s) before, and then, as time passes, they have to look at various specs, prices, and yields to decide what fits. They also look at the competition. Not only what they THINK maybe coming up but also what is out. That is one of the reasons that the hardware sees revision right up until fab time. That is why, every single generation, you see the back and forth between companies. Nvidia's deal for the xbox, AMD for the 360, memory structure, various companies involved and all the business behind it. These things are in constant flux and you can bet until the signatures are in place there is shopping going on at all times. EVEN at the risk of a potential delay.

There is TRUTH to almost all the rumors depending on the time it was said and how it was investigated by the company involved. Especially as something is proven false, that information is often leaked easier as the person doing so doesn't have as much of a worry.

MS may investigate an SLI full sized card in their box and see it as a great plan. Then, almost instantly, they would realize that won't work! As these systems get closer and closer to a final date of production where devs can be assured that what they get is going to be the same thing as what they are preparing for. And yes this was indeed one of many options bounced around.

I know nothing, nor have heard nothing about a network on a chip. However I never asked nor would that have been something that interests me and therefore would probably not have been hinted at.

GPU's Yes I know one thing. No one is right about the 720's. Might be close but still off.

Love that avatar

Sandfox

Microsoft will have to do a lot at E3 to convince me to play games on their console rather than just use the money to build a PC because while I liked the 360 I didn't get enough out of it to warrant how much I spent on it.

Also, why are people assuming that its going to have an 8850 in it?

Reiko

Banned
Microsoft will have to do a lot at E3 to convince me to play games on their console rather than just use the money to build a PC because while I liked the 360 I didn't get enough out of it to warrant how much I spent on it.

Also, why are people assuming that its going to have an 8850 in it?

Exclusives.

Proelite

What about a comparable GPU in terms of horsepower ?

Can something equal to a 8850 be expected in a 2013 console ?

Per my instinct.

Potentially better than 8850 if programmer code to the metal and use everything the system can offer including the onboard ram etc.

However, it they use it to run ported pc code, it'll perform worse than a 7800 series, i.e. next year's low-mid end cards.

The above is speculation on my part.

Eideka

Banned
Per my instinct.
Potentially better than 8850 if programmer code to the metal and use everything the system can offer including the onboard ram etc.
Sounds good then. Of course developpers will need a substantial budget to make the most of this GPU but right from the start I expect to see great stuff.

Such a GPU could run games like SW1313/WD at 1080p/30fps, or am I being overly optimistic ?

The smell of next gen is in the air. Oh reading next gen discussions will be glorious too bad it will only be a 1 vs 1 fight again. (More fighters more laughs)

Pretty sure the wink at the end was to indicate that it was written in jest? (There's an element of truth; I don't apologise if it hurts). The 1 VS 1 fight is what? Between the PS360 successors? No, thanks... The whole PS3 VS XBox 360 'fight' turned out to be nothing more than a Silver/Bronze medal scrap, if not a 4th place play-off at best, and an extremely ugly cock-waving exercise between both sets of fans at worst. Most of it was over 'specs', too, and not about the games. That's a shame, because each console still had their strengths. The Wii and DS won the 7th Generation. PSP also did better than the HD twins. But I'm not in the business of fighting, and have no desire to - they're just computer and video games.

As for the smell, 'Next Gen' (9th Gen) is a long way away. 8th Gen (the Current Gen) has been here since 2011. We've been engaging in discussions for almost 2 years, and three platforms are out already (3DS in February 2011, Vita in November 2011, and Wii U in November 2012). I agree that some discussions, mostly elsewhere, have been wonderful. When Microsoft joins the 3DS, Vita and Wii U at the 8th Gen table, it'll be welcomed with open arms, I'm sure :). My opinions, nothing else!! As You Were.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Sounds good then. Of course developpers will need a substantial budget to make the most of this GPU but right from the start I expect to see great stuff.

Such a GPU could run games like SW1313/WD at 1080p/30fps, or am I being overly optimistic ?

Not necessarily. A good team with a good engine and tool set can produce stunning results without bumping up production cost too much. We will have to wait and see what the next gen engines are like.

It could but it depends on a bunch of factors.

Karak

Yes:

SW yes, from what little we saw and depending on the available engine used and toolset.

WD yes, depending on the effects and image quality and same as above. Especially the effects as that game looked to be one that would push unique and detailed effects moreso than SW. That's just a guess going by what we saw. One thing to consider is the optimizing they had already done in house to get it running at lower and lower specs.

3rdman

It should be. We should ideally be able to transfer our gamertag over. Still.. is it unrealistic of me to hope it's backwards compatible?

Why is this considered a far-fetched possibility? MS has (correct me if I'm wrong) been very adamant that devs are not allowed to code "to the metal" and insisted that they keep to their libraries.

If this is the case then everything should be inherently backward compatible.

Raven77

Its basically confirmed this thing isn't going to be much (if any) more powerful than the Wii U, which already blows the nearly decade old 360 out of the water when it comes to graphics.

And in the real world...

A E3 reveal seems a bit odd, most consoles are revealed slightly before the show in the preceeding weeks / months to build hype before the Grand Finale showing at E3. We'll have to wait and see.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Its basically confirmed this thing isn't going to be much (if any) more powerful than the Wii U, which already blows the nearly decade old 360 out of the water when it comes to graphics..

What is this I'm reading? I don't even understand.

Vol5

Top Bottom