• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Sony use Oculus Rift for PS4?

xenist

I want the Occulus Rift to stay as far away from consoles as possible. Getting stuck at 720p/60 (and that's a guess assuming a miraculous translation of 1080p/30 to 2x720p/60) for another six or seven years for consumer level VR? No thanks.

Shmowzow!

Banned
God I hope so. The CES demos bumped me from 'interested' to 'VR-believer'.

But if they don't, I guess you could still use the thing as a regular monitor. The only problem there is your either going to have to pan across the 16:10 rectangle using headtracking (like if you're really close to a big screen). I guess that could be done by the Oculus itself, without Sony having to implement any kind of special video-implementation that differs from normal screens. Because I don't really see that happening unless the Rift sells a gazillion units, all of which turn out to be PS4 owners. This will probably require the Rift to do some heavier processing though, which might result in a price hike.

OR you're going to be zoomed way out. Like if you're trying to fit a 16:10 screen inside a circle, since the human iris is round (no really). That would kind of defeat the purpose of a HMD, since you'd still have a lot of unsightly black spaces in your peripheral vision. So no immersion. Not sure if you would be able to read text either.

I'm guessing the first option is preferable, although I'm still a little sceptical about the neck muscle-situation. Maybe now is a good time to invest in a neckbrace company...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Unless a standard for output to and input from VR headsets is agreed upon that happens to match up with Oculus Rift, I think it's unlikely, unfortunately.

More inevitable is Sony bringing out their own peripheral.

ElfArmy177

Only if Nintendo does. But then they will make a cheap copy and brand it Sony.
ps-move-is-the-wii-hd.jpg

Funny, I found the move controllers much more accurate than the Wii controllers ever were.

Why are you so desperate to see a sub par experience in VR just to get it out of the door in time for ps4 launch?

You WANT at least! 2560x1600 to have decent experience and remove the screen-door effect
this combined with at least 60fps to provide the best starting experience in this new VR age.

If you want people to buy the product it needs to provide an experience out of the box that's impressive and wont require people to upgrade a year late.
So that's why:

1) Sony pushed for 3D gaming with PS3 even though it involved awful resolution/quality drops.
2) Sony pushed out a half-assed motion controller to work with a really shitty camera.
3) Microsoft pushed out a half-assed tracking technology that barely works.

There are compromised products everywhere you look. VR goggles will be no different. I wouldn't be surprised if MS and Sony launch VR solutions midway through the new generation (that are significantly worse than the Oculus Rift of that year).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
no, Sony and MS will ruin VR. They will bring their own devices, which only works exklusivly on their xbox oder ps. So Consumer and Developer are pissed because Consumer have no idea what they need to buy and Developer have no idea for which VR Headset to program.

Not necessarily, if something came from Sony's gaming side then it would probably be branded and built to work with the PS4 at an OS level in some way, but Sony's 3D headset they have now works with the 360 and PS3 like a normal TV would.

The problem comes from something like the Oculus Rift, the way it creates the more immersive effect needs to be done on the games/OS side, if Sony or MS gaming side came out with their own or bought OculusR then any sort of cross-platform support would probably die off for not wanting to support the other.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
EVIL said:
You WANT at least! 2560x1600 to have decent experience and remove the screen-door effect
For VR in its full-form yes. But this is why some bring up the AR-VR, where you overlay your 3d on the real world, reducing the need for it to be as high-resolution and still provide a compelling immersion (I'm not talking camera-projection here, it would still need glasses to work).
Obviously that introduces its own set of problems to solve as well (in a mainstream product) but at least the hw requirements should be more accessible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Better question is will Microsoft use Occulus Rift? Palmer Lucky has developed an Open Source platform, so if Sony or MS want, they can modify game code to work on the set.

Isn't the 360 more of a pain to get working with third party peripherals compared to PS3? eg can't use thrustmaster steering wheels etc. So input from the rift might be difficult.

Jinko

Unlikely, it will be an extremely niche product so why would they bother ?

Will they make 3D games which may work with Occulus?, sure.

I want the Occulus Rift to stay as far away from consoles as possible. Getting stuck at 720p/60 (and that's a guess assuming a miraculous translation of 1080p/30 to 2x720p/60) for another six or seven years for consumer level VR? No thanks.

I'm not sure next gen games will be targeting 1080p anyway, especially if they want to look their best.

Maybe but I don't really want it. It sounds awesome and I want to try it but i don't want this to be required for most of the games.

Thinking about the market shares this thing will have it clearly won't be a standard and they may don't even bother to include it. Maybe for the next next gen (lol).

test_account

XP-39C²
No he's right, the HMZ team is incompetent. Everything about the actual headset (design, fit, weight, finicky optics) is bad and bordering on unusable. Don't get me wrong, the idea and performance is astoundingly awesome--but the actual product is kind of horrible. It has nothing to do with being a lower FOV "movie viewer" rather than a VR display. If the thing was actually usuable/comfortable (without mods), with a lot more sweet spot "play" in the optics, you'd absolutely be right. As it stands, I'd agree the team is incompetent. Whoever came up with the idea of vice gripping the users skull and ocipital deserves to be demoted to bathroom duty on the janitorial staff on rotten Mexican food day.
What about the HMZ-T2, and how is this different from other similar products?

tipoo

Banned
Maybe as an optional purchase like the Playstation 3D TV. I think doing the tech right is still too expensive for right now.

It would be interesting though, Sony going with that, Microsoft going with the Illumiroom projection, and the Wii U tablet thingy, all three would be stepping outside the HDTV relm.

HMZ, Augmented Reality, Illumiroom, WiiU tablet, none of that compares in any way to the Oculus Rift. And I dont mean from a technical standpoint, I mean in impact. Everyone who has tried the OR has been absolutely floored by it. AR and Illumiroom shouldnt even be in the same conversation with OR. This is the future of gaming. As awkward as people may feel about wearing a headset to play a game, they all quit caring as soon as they put it on.

Let's hope every major manufacturer ends up offering its own VR solution.

The bigger the market, the better the products, especially from high-end, pc-oriented brands, like Fanatec and such.

VR gets mainstream and cheap on consoles, we get the best of the tech perfected on the pc.

Bring it on.

For now, we'll enjoy VR with the OR (dev-kit preorder long ago, now let's just count the days until the end of march 2013).

EDIT: oh, and if Ms or Sony buys Oculus and makes it exclusive, I'm going to kill myself. xD

Rad-

If something as simple as wearing 3D glasses is a turnoff for many, OR will surely be. I don't see it becoming so popular that MS or Sony will care enough to push it.

But among PC core gamers, it will see decent success I reckon.

Unlikely, it will be an extremely niche product so why would they bother ?

Will they make 3D games which may work with Occulus?, sure.

I'm not sure next gen games will be targeting 1080p anyway, especially if they want to look their best.

This is crazy talk. The difference between 720p and 1080p is staggering. You can test this for yourself with a quick download of WipEouT HD (worthwhile purchase). Play it on 720p first then switch to 1080p. The leap in visual fidelity is like playing two different games from different console generations.

/XX/

T2 is basically T1.5, minor tweaks.

but its a movie viewer, not a VR device, so although head mounted, its not directly comparable
Although showing their PROTOTYPE-SR at the past TGS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oCTRIUCk8) makes it fairly clear that way of research is really into consideration:

TGS 2012におけるヘッドマウントディスプレイ「PROTOTYPE-SR」体験風景 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k321gmwXDV0

4Gamer.net ― [TGS 2012]「.hackの世界」実現も近い? ソニーの特製ヘッドマウントディスプレイを使った仮想現実実験にサイバーコネクトツー松山氏驚く
http://www.4gamer.net/games/183/G018303/20120920045/

Jinko

This is crazy talk. The difference between 720p and 1080p is staggering. You can test this for yourself with a quick download of WipEouT HD (worthwhile purchase). Play it on 720p first then switch to 1080p. The leap in visual fidelity is like playing two different games from different console generations.

Dude I'm a PC gamer, I know the difference, what I am saying is that most devs will go with 720p and push more on screen, particles, geometry and whatnot.

This gen barely managed 720 for half its game what makes you think next will meet the 1080p mark.

Oppo

This is kinda funny, since WHD switches resolution dynamically mid game — do you notice "staggering" differences mid-race when it drops?

Sony might decide to make their own headset compatible with Rift, but you can bet they will roll their own hardware for sure on this one. OR is open source I believe and Sony already uses plenty of open libraries and such all over the PS3and Vita.

As for resolution limits, if the headsets are 720p per eye standard at 60 FPS, I don't see a problem with downscaling from standard 1080p games.

Dude I'm a PC gamer, I know the difference, what I am saying is that most devs will go with 720p and push more on screen, particles, geometry and whatnot.

This gen barely managed 720 for half its game what makes you think next will meet the 1080p mark.
Aren't most games this gen 720p? There are some that aren't but if we compile a list I'm pretty sure that like 75% would be 720p. And have you seen the rumored next gen specs? What makes you think devs won't target 1080p? In 2020 I could see devs cutting corners but in the next few years I'm pretty sure all games will be 1080/30. You are severely underestimating next gen consoles.

Atomski

Oculus rift? I hope not.. let Sony make its own cheap VR headset. If they were in talks with anyone I bet it would be Valve.

I think VR angle is a potentially good plan for Sony to back up. Make the thing an integral part of the PS4 experience. First as sold separetly then included when costs become reasonable.

Sony seems to have all the investment and tech necesary already to 1 up garage start ups like Occulus.

So even though we are not there yet, it is a better time to give VR another shot.

1-D_FTW

They'll either purchase the company or make their own VR headsets, they already have thoes 3D headsets, so it wouldn't take much effort on their part to make it more VR like.

I wouldn't expect very much. It's astounding a videogame focused company can't get their electronics division to optimize things for gaming. That thing has 65ms of lag. John Carmack even bought one, had a friend with Sony contacts, and wanted to talk to the engineers. He was willing to rewrite the firmware in an effort to lower the latency. For free. He finally just gave up. Nobody could ever get him facetime with the engineers.

And why do I bring this up? Because latency is king with these things. Unless you really care about designing hardware around this, it's going to suck.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wouldn't expect very much. It's astounding a videogame focused company can't get their electronics division to optimize things for gaming.

It was not optimised for VR. It was optimised for playing movies or games on a virtual screen. Very different needs. Oculus would not be good for watching movies.

If Sony makes a 'PlayStation' HMD for VR I would expect good things.

Reallink

If something as simple as wearing 3D glasses is a turnoff for many, OR will surely be. I don't see it becoming so popular that MS or Sony will care enough to push it.

But among PC core gamers, it will see decent success I reckon.

You could be right that no matter how amazing the experience, some people may never be able to get over strapping something to their head--but 3D glasses are not the example to use. The experience of 3D TV/Cinema simply isn't to the point that people would be willing or able to overlook such a requirement. I mean in general, it's dim as fuck, completely awash in crosstalk, and just obviously inferior (IQ wise) to 2D. That's without even getting into all the many content problems (horrible 2D conversions, ridiculously shallow depth, cheap diorama effects, ect...). You could point at any number of half cocked technologies/ideas and exclaim "see, no one wants this or that" or "no one's willing to do this or that"--but then someone gets it right and suddenly people are willing to do and give up a hell of a lot to use it.

Durante

It was not optimised for VR. It was optimised for playing movies or games on a virtual screen. Very different needs. Oculus would not be good for watching movies.
With 50+ ms input lag it wasn't really optimized for playing games either. If it weren't for that I'd probably own one now. Did they improve that in the T2?

Me too. Any huge company could potentially build something better than the Rift if they really wanted to, but Sony is probably in the best position. I just don't see them capitalizing on that before it is way too late.

What bothers me is that Sony makes Playstation and hdtv's altogether, yet they don't seem to get how important latency is.

Hell, no tv manufacturer gets it (aside from plasma makers, but that's thanks to the tech).

So I'm not that confident about what could Sony offer VR-wise.

How's that little playstation-branded 3D lcd Sony is selling?

quetz67

Banned
I think the 640x800px version is a bad joke. That thing covers a FOV multiple times as large as a computer monitor with a resolution no hardcore gamer touches with a 10 feet pole. Those pixels must be enormous - sure it offers a new level of immersion, but to make it look close to good it would need a 4k display - and then we are neither talking $149 nor $299.

I think the 640x800px version is a bad joke. That thing covers a FOV multiple times as large as a computer monitor with a resolution no hardcore gamer touches with a 10 feet pole. Those pixels must be enormous - sure it offers a new level of immersion, but to make it look close to good it would need a 4k display - and then we are neither talking $149 nor $299.

See you in 10 years when they finally have 4k displays small enough to fit into a headset.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
With 50+ ms input lag it wasn't really optimized for playing games either. If it weren't for that I'd probably own one now. Did they improve that in the T2?

Sorry for the late reply - they supposedly added a 'clear mode' to the T2 that was targeted at games or 'fast moving content'. Not sure if that meant a latency decrease in that mode...didn't see much commentary around it but someone else might know.

John Carmack has reached out to Sony a couple of times and believes they may release a product if the Rift becomes popular enough. He stated that Sony just needed to change some things in their existing VR headset but that they're the closest thing in he market to the proper resolution and view angle he'd want.

chiablo

Developers will hate it if the Rift were made for the PS4. Imagine the extra work required for them to develop an interesting camera with head tracking that also looks good on a monitor and additional support for systems that don't have this functionality (Microsoft, Nintendo.)

Top Bottom