• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

clav

hirai_kaz-300x225.jpg

"Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

LOL, Hirai has spoken.

What else do you expect him to say?

"Durango is going to kill Sony."

His example was tailored towards ports, just because you don't understand don't get mad lol. For the record, it doesn't mean "stop looking at flops" as you implied.

Since you don't want to let go, here

Guy 1 said:
We will see how it plays out but I quite recall how the 360 was merely a Xbox 1.5 and when the PS3 would come out, it'd blow it away and never look back.

Looking forward to many more months of the same.

Then another guy was like

guy 2 said:
It's not the same as last gen since both machines are launching at the same time, and there's no rumours of components as exotic *bla bla bla* same architecture *barf barf* the same vendor *and it goes on and on* The CPUs are now basically the same too.

I don't think there's any amount of special sauce in Durango that can bridge a 6 CU and 600 GFLOP gap.

*Orbis also has special sauce bla bla bla*

Is anyone aware of any feasible customisations (ie hw raytracers are unlikely) they could do to the GPU or extra blocks they could add that would even out the difference in FLOPS?

And then ERP was like

erp said:
latching onto individual figures is not a useful way to understand performance differences.
OK lets say that everything else in the hardware is identical for a second, so you have a 50% performance difference, but only in ALU limited situations.
When I render shadows, I'm ROP (or rathe Z-Fill) limited, if my shaders are texture heavy, the ALU's sit idle and wait on memory, on current PC GPU's if the vertex workload is dominant, for the most part they grossly underutilize the ALU's.
So what percentage of the time do the extra ALU's actually help?
If it's 40% it's a 20% performance difference, if it's 80% it's a 40% difference I would guess it will end up being closer to the first than the second.
If 720 has more ROPs (and enough associated bandwidth) or a larger register pool and can hide more latency, then it gets more of that difference back, because it runs other portions of the frame faster.

Now I'm not suggesting it's "faster" or for that matter "slower", I'm saying it's just one aspect of a design.

So yeah. But still man, this open for all kinds of interpretation and I guess one of them is "guy is talking about ports". It seems very reasonable. And also as he said, he is not telling us that an individual figure like TFLOP amount for example isn't a useful way to understand performance differences. I am not as versed as you I guess, but I can still read.

I wouldn't bet on Blu Ray playback.
Of course they must be using the blu laser technology to have more space for games, but I'm not sure that they're going to pay royalties to the BDA to be a Blu Ray movie player as well.
They could use the same strategy they used with the original Xbox, "if you want DVD playback you have to buy the remote controller which enables it".
Or they could simply say that there is no blu ray playback at all because HD movies can be donwloaded through their own service.

Royalty isn't as high as you seem it is. Everyone and their mother is using BD-ROM these days. Microsoft can afford it, especially if they want their console to be the entertainment center.

sangreal

Hmm, were people really expecting a 1000$ supercomputer?

No, I expected exactly this, since there is almost no new information here. I was hoping for something more exotic than a tablet CPU and custom mid-range PC gpu. Like we have gotten every other generation

quest

Not Banned from OT
Of course they must be using the blu laser technology to have more space for games, but I'm not sure that they're going to pay royalties to the BDA to be a Blu Ray movie player as well.
They could use the same strategy they used with the original Xbox, "if you want DVD playback you have to buy the remote controller which enables it".
Or they could simply say that there is no blu ray playback at all because HD movies can be donwloaded through their own service.

It will have bluray play back. They are trying to make a all in 1 box and if no bluray playback that would screw that to no end.

Orayn

No, I expected exactly this, since there is almost no new information here. I was hoping for something more exotic than a tablet CPU and custom mid-range PC gpu. Like we have gotten every other generation

Why would you want an exotic CPU? Having Durango, Orbis, and PC games all based on x86 is going to be great for the quality of multi-platform games!

onQ123

Based on the leaks alone, at the moment it does seem to be in Sony's camp. Someone clarify if I am wrong on the details below.

CPU

Durango/Orbis: the same

GPU

Orbis: 78xx
Durango: 77xx

Orbis: 4 GB GDDR5 @est 192 GB/s(?)
Durango: 8 GB DDR3 @70 GB/s + 32mb Esram @102 GB/s (Combined 170 GB/s using 32mb Esram).

if the PS4 has extra Compute Units the CPU wont be the same.

Sounds like a good, beefy hardware. But it really is surprising how similar the architecture is compared to Wii U. This should really help Nintendo to get the downports then, which could give them a healthy lineup and good market place in addition to a presumably better price point.

Anyways, I can't wait and see how the software will look like in the end and especially how the next gen Kinect will be like.

Im pretty sure MS own an actual codec for Bluray playback (VC-1)...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
other than the DVR integration (and that is something that Nintendo is trying), I don't see anything particularly unique

The unique part would be... and this is if Microsoft is able to nail it... the complete seamless "Apple-like" integration where even Grandma could get it to work. No one has come close to that. Microsoft is aiming to create the future of entertainment accessibility for $400-$450 where if you see it at your friends house and how easy it is to use, you're going to want it too. We'll see if they succeed. It's interesting, nonetheless.

PS4 seems to be more brute force, PSN integration, Vita integration, plus a new controller with a touchscreen of some sort. Seems more "games" focused but that doesn't mean the Xbox won't have compelling games too. You can see the difference in approach by the two companies. Verrrrry interesting!

Odrion

Banned
These specs are more in line what I imagined next console consoles to have.

But still, rumors are rumors. I ain't believing shit until a proper reveal, comparing two rumors with each other or even investing any real interest with these rumors is foolish.

Sounds like a good, beefy hardware. But it really is surprising how similar the architecture is compared to Wii U. This should really help Nintendo to get the downports then, which could give them a healthy lineup and good market place in addition to a presumably better price point.

Same type of ram but there is a massive difference between 8GB and 2GB. Plus the Durango CPU stomps Wii-U's.

I really doubt Wii-U is getting many ports of Durango games.

Elios83

Royalty isn't as high as you seem it is. Everyone and their mother is using BD-ROM these days. Microsoft can afford it, especially if they want their console to be the entertainment center.

Of course they can afford it, the point is if they want to, considering that they might get the money for themselves by selling downloadable movies through their own service instead of giving money to others to allow Blu Ray playback.
I think there is a good chance that Microsoft could adopt the blu laser technology just to get more space for the games.

Here's why this system is a massive disappointment hardware wise:

Lack of Blu Ray Disk XL- This has been shown to only add a few dollars to the cost of the drive yet can provide disks in the hundreds of GBs. Whilst it won't be as bad as last gen with the 360 only having 6.8GBs for most of the generation, it will eventually show when virtual texturing increases in usage and other platforms with more storage space but similar processing power (PC and maybe PS4) show much higher quality textures and games that utilise lots of pre rendered videos having much higher quality encodes.

Slow Blu Ray drive: The PS3 hobbled along with a relatively slow drive in comparison to the 360 and it was proven throughout the whole gen what a mistake that was with most early games requiring lengthy installs on PS3 yet still giving worse loading times. With Durango having to fill 10x as much memory as the PS3 but only having a 3x faster drive, you can see how this will be a major issue next gen and if PS4 uses a much faster drive can leave MS in a very precarious situation.

3GB OS Footprint- The 8GB of RAM is a massive success especially considering that many just a few months ago were expecting 2GB in both consoles. To take away 3 of those 8 is absolutely ludicrous and will eliminate many gameplay possibilties e.g. you could fit all of Skyrim into the RAM of Durango without the ridiculous OS footprint.

1.22 TF GPU- This is a terrible increase on last gen and should at a minimum have been 2TF(this applies to PS4 as well). The GPU will hands down be the most important component by far next gen and to scrimp so badly on such an essential component shows lack of the same dedication that Sony and MS had last gen hardware wise. We've even had reports of Epic downgrading UE4 after learning of the disappointing GPU specs in both consoles.

Complex to program for CPU- Whilst 8 cores is all well and nice, as proven time after time with PC games struggling to even utilise quad cores and PS3 devs complaining 24/7 about the scaling games to so many threads, it is shocking that both Sony and MS chose to go for 8 slow cores over a smaller number of faster cores which will only necessitate increases to development effort and therefore costs.

What is shocking is that 360 (RROD aside) is probably the best engineered console in recent history when you consider the fact that it really had very few hardware issues, was very competitive with contemporary PCs, had very forward looking hardware and still came in at a decent price.

I don't think the Durante is going to be some kind of DVR.

If it has HDMI IN at best its going to be a Google TV kind of device where the OS is an overlay to the TV and it will control your cable box.
Complex to program for CPU- Whilst 8 cores is all well and nice, as proven time after time with PC games struggling to even utilise quad cores and PS3 devs complaining 24/7 about the scaling games to so many threads, it is shocking that both Sony and MS chose to go for 8 slow cores over a smaller number of faster cores which will only necessitate increases to development effort and therefore costs.
Theres a reason for that, PCs have single, dual, quad and hex? cores, they can't optimise for 8 threads when the game also has to run on lesser CPUs.

of course you'll still have lots of deferred engines. MS being the 'king of tools and 3rd party hugs' wouldn't make a machine that forces developers to change their rendering systems.

Most likely the move chip comes in here, moving buffers out into main ram during quiet periods, so the esram can be used by the GPU for the next pass etc.

and we still had deferred engines this gen with 10mb edram on the 360 - this is 3x more so may just about be enough for 1080p anyway.

No, if the frambuffer must stay in the eDRAM like in the Xbox360, then you are limited to 32MB. Thus, you couldn't run a game using multiple frame buffers that needs 128MB for example. Killezone 3 wouldn't be possible on Xbox360 as its framebuffer wouldn't fit in the 10MB eDRAM.

Reiko

Banned
Wait, the ESRAM in the Durango is nearly half the speed of the main ram in Orbis? o_O

That's the point. So...

tumblr_m8d04iurzg1ryfgdbon.gif

No, if the frambuffer must stay in the eDRAM like in the Xbox360, then you are limited to 32MB. Thus, you couldn't run a game using multiple frame buffers that needs 128MB for example. Killezone 3 wouldn't be possible on Xbox360 as its framebuffer wouldn't fit in the 10MB eDRAM.

Doesn't Crysis 2 also use multiple frame buffers?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sounds like a good, beefy hardware. But it really is surprising how similar the architecture is compared to Wii U. This should really help Nintendo to get the downports then

It's not going to happen.

dbztrk

Wait, the ESRAM in the Durango is nearly half the speed of the main ram in Orbis? o_O

Yeah I know... Hopefully MS can pull something off where the ESRAM and main ram can function simultaneously and swap data from the ESRAM to the main ram in order to free it up. Not that this will change the specs but it should helps things a bit.

I really wish they would up the ESRAM.

Seems like Orbis > Danjango to me.

I'm no expert, but with the OS memory allocation etc. It seems devs will be able to get more out of the Orbis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The unique part would be... and this is if Microsoft is able to nail it... the complete seamless "Apple-like" integration where even Grandma could get it to work. No one has come close to that. Microsoft is aiming to create the future of entertainment accessibility for $400-$450 where if you see it at your friends house and how easy it is to use, you're going to want it too. We'll see if they succeed. It's interesting, nonetheless.

PS4 seems to be more brute force, PSN integration, Vita integration, plus a new controller with a touchscreen of some sort. Seems more "games" focused but that doesn't mean the Xbox won't have compelling games too. You can see the difference in approach by the two companies. Verrrrry interesting!

yeah, and that is very interesting. But pulling off what you have in your imagination will be challenging (at least if its anything like my imagination). But it is the golden goose of the living room IMO, and apple will certainly be pushing for it.

My biggest concern with this is the limited global coverage of the 'perfect' solution. You'd want a DVR with network control and possibly deals with the DVR makers and/or channel suppliers for IPTV.

So for FIOS consumers in the US you may get the ultimate experience, but others in the US less so, and even worse in other countries.

Maybe thats enough, for the halo effect (no pun intended) to sell units and they'll roll out deals in the upcoming years?

i-Lo

Anyways, I can't wait and see how the software will look like in the end and especially how the next gen Kinect will be like.

After seeing the specs, the WiiU owners:

raptorjesuscamprzzgd.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Something doesn't feel conclusive about this and seems to put an educated spin on rumors that are existing.

Didn't you also come up with secret Sauce? Where's your secret sauce now?

Yeah, he talked here about this. That it would free resources from the GPU. I don't see it in those specs. He also talked about that he never heard about "special sauce" for Orbis, when the rumors clearly hinted on the additional compute unit in the PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46696148&postcount=4074

And of course he says how efficient Microsoft with their low-power specs is, and that Sony is using a inefficient raw power approach. Which doesn't make any sense. At all.

Top Bottom