• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 2006 holiday lineup - best handheld lineup ever?

Matix said:

s_screen010.jpg

Ranger X

Total Hardcore Gamer said:
I doubt it will. They can bring handheld gaming out of the ghetto, but that doesn't mean everyone will follow.

No matter how long the amount of PSP exclusives/remakes have toppled the number of direct ports, they will still claim it's nothing but ports and sports 'til the end, as well as talk about how they aren't spending $50 on a handheld game when the norm has long since changed to $40 and most PSP games can be obtained for $15-$25.

Great PSP games will continue getting low scores for petty reasons(most of which lie in "It doesn't innovate the genre") which will screw the secondhand PSP game advertising.

They'll keep on saying that the PSP can't handle shooters even with Syphon Filter and MOH out and keep trying to insist that it's more of a multimedia device than it is a game system, and regardless of how many games it racks up that are in the high 70s-80 percentile people will still insist that it has no good games and introduces nothing new to the table.

And as long as Sony keeps the prices so high, no one is gonna attempt to stray away from the above ignorance... especially given that PSP advertising is nothing short of a total atrocity(if I hadn't been doing my research, and were relying only on commercials like the average consumer, I'd know of only about 8 psp games).

The fanboyism and bias are simply too large to stop now, so the PSP seems like it's pretty much just gonna linger to it's death.

It's a shame... especially considering that afterwards, it'll be back to playing GBA games on the DS and wading through waves of mini game compilations to get to an exceptional Castlevania or Final Fantasy title.

I have to agree with you. It's actually been awhile i thought the PSP was having an image problem. Sony couldn't distinguish the handheld by games. They only pimped its features and Madden/Fifa/Burnout were the only games the casuals knew about.
This extra features and UMD pimping killed most first year's games potential and the PSP couldn't get out of that "ports ocean" up until recently.
Sony seems to be shifting the focus (since the UMD movies crapped out) and start pushing some great games but it may be too late, the DS is way too strong right now.
Sony wanted to kick Nintendo's ass and that's exactly what they didn't do. I suppose they are somehow satisfyed with the PSP performance (wich is notable in overall) but i'm sure they realise Nintendo is a bigger challenge than they thought.
With a price drop last year + packing a game and if they would have focused on games / games and only games before the end of the first year they would have made a WAY BIGGER dent in Nintendo's kingdom imo.

Symytry

Andy787 said:

I want to play all four of these, but it's not in the budget. Metal Gear and EEE will be bought, the others will fade away into the bargain bin, if the bargain is right ;)

Oni Jazar

The only real problem with the PSP is the price.

Once Sony stops teasing with their damn bundle****s and actually puts the system at $150 then it'll sell like hotcakes. Unfortunately I don't see Sony dropping the price this year.

That is one kickass lineup and doesn't even include the PS1 games that are coming out this year.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NomarTyme said:
What so funny?

Lumines II, Killzone Liberation, MGS: PO, Gunpey, and GTA:VCS is a few now?

Those games are comparable to Yoshi's Touch N Go and Feel the Magic at best

Ikael

So much fanboyism on each side o_O Come on guys. The PSP line up is rock solid, and it appeals me personally way more than the DS one, even if I am a bit of a Nintendo fan (I am a puzzle whore at heart). This is the first time that the PSP has a truthly varied lineup, with strong games on each genre. It is loable. It is as if they are finally getting what portables are about.

However, as some has pointed out, it might arrive too late. Price had been obstaculizing the PSP to unleash its true sales potential, and Sony doesn't look too much willing to solve that problem, nor to fully push the PSP as a gaming machine. It is more of a perception problem, that when united to price it leads to lackluster performance.

About "who trolled more", I think that the DS has been the most trolled system in existance prior to its release, period. Not saying that the PSP trolling is fair or deserved, but some people here makes theirselves too much of a victim while Nintendo fans had been enduring way worse shit during years. If the PSP (or sony) would have had trollers of the calibur of dhrone or drinky crow, tabris and kangu's head would have exploded long time ago.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
How much does piracy affect PSP software sales? I see charts that have ~150k PSP's sold in a month and the highest game is like 25k. Piracy seems to be rampant and really easy to do. Devs are getting screwed

The PSP is like a portable Dreamcast with PS2 ports stinking up the place instead of PS1 portn. The best games just aren't the BIG ones, so we all can't agree that it's got a AAA lineup. By the end of this year, there will easily be more PSP games I'd like to play than DS ones -- although my DS will still get more time because of FF3, Contact, Rocket Slime, Animal Crossing, etc. etc. etc. But for NEW games, I think PSP has a much better thing going.

I mean, come on. Lumines II? Powerstone? Metal Slug? MGS:pO? SOCOM? These are all going to be great.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Crap, didn't realize that Gunpey and the Genesis Collection (Portable Phantasy Star 4!!!!!!!!!) were coming so soon. Every Extend Extra took *WAY* too long to get here but I am still greatly anticipating it. Not sure if I'll bite on MGS:pO yet.

Pimpbaa

Oni Jazar said:
The only real problem with the PSP is the price.

Once Sony stops teasing with their damn bundle****s and actually puts the system at $150 then it'll sell like hotcakes. Unfortunately I don't see Sony dropping the price this year.

That is one kickass lineup and doesn't even include the PS1 games that are coming out this year.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! The PSP is expensive, and more than what people are willing to pay for a handheld gaming system. Thus the bulk of the people try and bash and dismiss it's games.

I've noticed this behaviour in my friends going as far back as when the Genesis came out. I was the only one to have one for a long time among my classmates and friends outside of school for a long time. They would always come up with the same old tired remarks about how it and it's games sucks (without actually spending a decent amount of time with it). They knew they couldn't get it, so the tried to convince themselves it sucked. Fast forward to when the ps2 came out and the dreamcast was starting to become a sinking ship. My friends would dismiss the ps2, because they didn't have the money to get one. I was the first to get one, and of course they kept telling me how it's games sucks and it's going to fail. Of course they all loved it after when they got one themselves after sega ditched the dreamcast. Same thing happened yet again when I got an xbox, continued remarks about how it sucked (just because they didn't have one). And they shut up immediately when they got one themselves. I'm going through the same shit yet again with my psp. If I were to get a ps3 this fall, the same shit would happen.

Point is, a lot of gamers are insecure (mostly the younger ones, and sometimes sadly the older ones), and when there is a competing that is perceived better (and don't have the cash to get it), they will start grasping at straws as to why it sucks. This shit is gonna get brutal when the ps3 is released. Of course I expect a response to this from people who supposedly have a psp and will say it is gathering dust. I suspect this is either easily impressionable people who always go with whats popular, people that are outgrowing traditional gaming (and thus prefer quirky short "games") or are flat out lying that they have one. I really think the same thing that happened to the psp will happen to the ps3 (more people owning the cheaper alternatives). Of course if the ps3 comes out and sells extremely well after the initial launch well after xmas at that price and isn't constantly bashed, please feel free to pwn me by with all the crap I just said. It's just that I've been playing games for roughly 25 years, and have seen this behaviour time and time again.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, PSP is certainly on fire. Handhelds always play second fiddle for me, though, so a lot of this killer lineup is gonna go by the wayside until I can budget it. Certainly, PSP is the victor to me for this holiday... but DS has Castlevania: PoR, which is hands down my most anticipated handheld gams.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is the ds strictly for wapanese or is that a misrepresentation of its lineup? good lord. i haven't seen that much animu in one place since i took a wrong turn at the local borders and stepped into a field of preteens reading manga paperbacks slumped on the floor like so many cowpies. and look what they've done to castlevania!

The PSP has a nice line-up, but definitely not the best one ever, or even in recent years.

I would take the PS2 line-up over the PSP one this year. Okami, Bully, Final Fantasy 12, Tales of the Abyss, Persona 3, Xenosaga 3, Phantasy Star Universe, and Disgaea are all calling me. You can probably see a trend in the PS2 line-up though, I love Japanese RPG's.

Another thing, I would put the DS line-up over the PSP's if Zelda: Phantom Hourglass was coming out this year, but for now I say they are about equal with what I want. The DS has Castlevania, Final Fantasy 3, Contact, and Elite Beat Agents. The PSP has Every Extend Extra, Lumines 2, Metal Gear Solid: PO, and PS1 downloads.

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
is the ds strictly for wapanese or is that a misrepresentation of its lineup? good lord. i haven't seen that much animu in one place since i took a wrong turn at the local borders and stepped into a minefield of cross-legged preteens reading manga paperbacks. and look what they've done to castlevania!

hey you changed your avatar for the first time in ages, or maybe it's just my cleared cache! (did you like the game?)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i did just change my avatar, and i'm absolutely loving okami, though i haven't had as much time to play it as i'd like

Well, for me at least, MGS:Ops is head and shoulders above anything else, in regards to what it tries to achieve in the handheld field. So, even if people have franchises more esteemed than MG, you should at least give consideration to it.

The point being that it is not an ordinary "handheld lineup", in my MOST HUMBLE (and sometimes dorky) opinion.

Andy787 said:

YES.

Last the december the DS was the portable to buy for only two games: Animal Crossing and Mario Kart, then why can't the PSP with so many good titles be the hottest portable of the holidays :(?

man, for those of us that own both, this is gonna be a hell of a season. Gunpey on DS _and_ PSP for the win, dude. Already have .jp version of eee, but lumines 2, elite beat, castlevania and phoenix wright...

But i have to wonder if Q? isn't overextending here, with four games plus Lumines Live out all at the same time.

Soul4ger

Yeah, I'm happy I own both. That way, I can enjoy Castlevania AND Metal Gear, Elite Beat Agents AND Gitaroo Man. Talk about awesome?

Agent X

In my opinion, this year's PSP holiday lineup is certainly in contention for the best ever on a handheld.

While many of the games mentioned in this thread don't appeal to me personally, I can think of several others that I'd be interested in. The diversity of the game library is great; I love how the PSP is about having a large selection of high-quality games available, rather than rallying all their resources behind one or two "big name" games and then having a glut of kiddie cartoon junk fill up the shelves. A lot of the PSP games I like don't turn out to be blockbuster hits with the masses, but that's fine with me--the fact is that there's no shortage of games on the platform that appeal to me.

Mar

Pimpbaa said:
You know who really wins this upcoming holiday season? People who own both.

Que Eff Tee

It's a great time to be into gaming. Myself I'm buying these for each system:

PSP:

EEE
Power Stone Collection

DS:

Castlevania
Children of Mana
FF 3
Gunpey
Yoshi Island (x2, one of the wife)
Settlers
Bomberman Land
Diddy Kong Racing
Kirby
Sims Pets (for the wife)
Point Blank (again, wife)
New Zealand Story

ProphetZG

Children of Mana is awful IMO. Be sure you like it before you buy it.

As for PSP - superb lineup. No doubt about it, even the most insane PSP haters will have trouble spinning this lineup negatively. The old "no good games" mantra is not only dead, but decayed and eaten by worms at this point.

ProphetZG said:
Children of Mana is awful IMO. Be sure you like it before you buy it.

As for PSP - superb lineup. No doubt about it, even the most insane PSP haters will have trouble spinning this lineup negatively. The old "no good games" mantra is not only dead, but decayed and eaten by worms at this point.

Lol, like that's gonna stop fanboys from saying so... you're forgetting that the same crowd keeping that BS alive are the same people who insist that all PSP ports are watered down when most of the games they label ports are:
• Generally just multi-platform releases
• Have way more content than the originals

They won't have too much trouble stirring things up negatively... if they can find any flaws at all, they'll emphasize on them as hard as possible, and make sure to ignore positives... if all else fails, they'll just cop out to the load times argument.

BTW, what's so bad about Children of Mana and Bomberman Land? I really liked the adventure-like gameplay(and, admittedly, the pokemon-like Charabom battling) of Bomberman Tournament and Bomberman Jetters on GBA, is it in Bomberman Land DS?

ProphetZG

CoM in my personal experience is just very boring. But some people seem to really enjoy it, so it's just one of those games that some will hate and some will love. That's why I say try before you buy.

It's also really important for the many Secret of Mana fans to know that CoM is nothing like that great old RPG. It's a dungeon crawler, and not a terribly fun one IMO. But mileage will vary according to tastes.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
ORANGUTAN said:
How much does piracy affect PSP software sales? I see charts that have ~150k PSP's sold in a month and the highest game is like 25k. Piracy seems to be rampant and really easy to do. Devs are getting screwed

We monitor piracy of our games pretty closely, and piracy has hit our last PSP title far worse than any other platform (we are also across PC, PS2, and Xbox). In what we have tracked alone there have been around 3-4 times as many downloads of our PSP title than we have had actual sales (doesn't help that the game is hard to find in stores of course).

Indeed, a quick check online reveals around 100 people downloading it via Torrents right now :(

Piracy is definitely a contributing issue to lower sales in my view.

Matix

Mario said:
We monitor piracy of our games pretty closely, and piracy has hit our last PSP title far worse than any other platform (we are also across PC, PS2, and Xbox). In what we have tracked alone there have been around 3-4 times as many downloads of our PSP title than we have had actual sales (doesn't help that the game is hard to find in stores of course).

Indeed, a quick check online reveals around 100 people downloading it via Torrents right now :(

Whoa, now that sucks.

ProphetZG

What I don't get about Sony is, why they did such a poor job securing the PSP. They must've spent God-knows how much money dev'ing the hardware. And I think they had high hopes for UMD format.

But they didn't seem to have given much attention to security at all.

KingJ2002

good lineup but FAR from best ever... most of those games are better on consoles and dont seem to bode well for a handheld experience.

quetz67

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
good lineup but FAR from best ever... most of those games are better on consoles and dont seem to bode well for a handheld experience.
I buy a handheld to play games on the go and (slightly) worse control/graphics are accepted issues (with games like GTA showing these issues can be really small)

But most people (here on GAF) seem to see their PSP as addition/competition to their PS2 for playing it at home, which I find quite strange.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mario said:
At what point you consider piracy to have effects though?

I remember Doom3 had over 60000 downloads on a single tracker, in one day, and some estimates have been over half a milion in under a week - and it still came off as a pretty good selling title. :p

I'm actually concerned about the issue myself, so I am wondering how does one really evaluate the effects of this. If you take a look at how rampant torrenting of GBA Roms has been, one wonders how the software sold at all.

Fady K

Amir0x said:
Yeah, PSP is certainly on fire. Handhelds always play second fiddle for me, though, so a lot of this killer lineup is gonna go by the wayside until I can budget it. Certainly, PSP is the victor to me for this holiday... but DS has Castlevania: PoR, which is hands down my most anticipated handheld gams.

Mine too, im a Castlevania freak. Though im still have a slightly bad feeling about the game after seeing Famitsu's 31/40 which is one of the lower CV portable scores.

I agree. PSP is so awesome this holiday season. There's so many games I want, that I have no idea how I'm going to buy them. I originally didn't think it would have a good holiday, due to an awesome 1st half of the year, but I'm glad that I was proven wrong.

billysea, two of the DS games you listed aren't out until NEXT year.

Top Bottom