• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steam maintains a database of game content. New games are frequently leaked through this database, as games need to be added before they can be released. Recently we saw Brutal Legend appear.

Here's a tool to look at the Steam database:
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/

Today, some truly messed up stuff is showing up*:
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+) <-- available Mar 20, 2013
Super House of Dead Ninjas <--- available February 18th, 2013
Dyad <-- officially announced by developer Feb 4, 2013
Retro/Grade <-- Officially announced Mar 5, 2013
Angry Birds Space <-- Mar 7, 2013
Fez <-- May 1, 2013
Cut the Rope <-- Mar 22, 2013
La-Mulana <-- Apr 15, 2013
Yogventures! <-- Confirmed
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta <-- Confirmed
Resident Evil: Revelations <-- Dated
Shadow Warrior Complete <-- Confirmed
Fast and Furious 6 <-- Released
The Splatters <-- Released as Super Splatters
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII <-- Announced for release
Lococycle <-- Feb 14, 2014

Still not announced yet:
LucasArts Test App
Hardware
Hardware (Demo)
Hardware (VIP)
Hardware (Internal)
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
Quantum Conundrum 2
Halo 3
Halo 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Witness
Angry Birds Seasons
Second Life

Normally, you'd be all like "wtf, this is clearly not real", but...

Take Halo 3
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/app/216800/

The entry links to a Steam Community hub for Halo 3:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/216800/

Duke 3D's entry even has an icon:
b946fcfb26bd9a869efe02070b024c4bcabbca37.jpg

As does Shadow Warrior's:
719bfc5a56b6e83e8908b74887b638a75008c3aa.jpg

You can see it right there, with your own eyes. This is a Steam URL with Halo 3 displaying in it.

Two possibilities:
1. Valve is adding support for Steam Community hubs for non-Steam games

2. Some or all of this stuff is coming out on Steam. We do know that The Splatters is getting a PC port. We do know that Fez is getting a port to new consoles, and that PC is the most likely console. We have seen a few previously GOG-exclusive titles get Steam releases, so it's possible that Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior might fit that pattern. We do know that Twisted Pixel intended PC versions of Ms. Splosion Man, so Lococycle might not be a stretch. We also know from an MS job posting that they were looking for staffers to evaluate more releases on Steam. We also know that GFWL is basically folded at this point, and that MS has actively worked to make non-GFWL versions of its games available through Steam (see recently the Amazon XBLA PC port pack, all of which activated on Steam).

* Many of the entries predate today, it's just that this particular tool has begun linking the Community Hub data to the database/registry data, and so the information is newly discovered.

if they were going to add support for non steam games, it would make more sense to add stuff that's either new or popular. i don't think that's the case

might buy the kofs if they have online and for kof xiii, if it has everything the console versions had. there was a kof xiii pc leak, which was ripped from the arcades i think, but it didn't have some of the content the console versions had

I suspect its the community thing but theres enough here that I could suspect MS are bringing a number of games to PC.

Would I be wrong in suggesting the PC architecture in Durango would mean downloadable titles would be easy to port over?

Or - big number three - MS will allow third party sellers on LIVE.

Jawmuncher

It's been long enough, Halo coming to PC would be nothing but profit for MS on steam.

King of Fighters wouldn't be a bad addition either considering how much fighting games on PC has picked up.

Azar

Halo 3 on Steam sounds like a real, real stretch. Definitely seems like they're making communities for games that aren't and won't be on steam...weird, though. Man I'd love some Halo 3 multiplayer on PC.

I'd be so happy if true, Halo 3, done right on PC... unf.

But I find it hard to believe.
Windows 8 only. Halo 2 Vista sent to die all over again

Aren't all of the Amazon XBLA PC port pack GFWL though?

Exuro

I would love for Halo 2 to be true to increase the player count. Too bad its being shut down. (or was it shut down already?)
Shut down and rehosted using Steamworks!

But really this is all just a dream/joke. I'm going to go with option 1 and say it's non-steam game communities.

Alexios

Banned
KoF 98 will be mine (again), not sure about XIII yet. Already have La-Mulana & Duke Nukem via gog, don't really want Shadow Warrior or Fez. Not really interested in most of the others, or am I missing some gem? Edit: oh yeah, maybe REvelations too.

Forkball

This is a better thread and the other deserved to be locked. WHO LINKS TO THE KOF PAGE AND DOESN'T MENTION THIS OTHER STUFF?

Some strange selections, but none I'm really interested in outside of KoF. Halo MIGHT be worth getting if the multiplayer is active.

Adam Blue

Super House of the Dead Ninjas is an awesome adult swim game you can play in a browser now. I would love this and anyone should check it out.

A bunch of stuff there is mind-boggling.

To add to my doubts posted in the Steam thread that any Halo games would ever be on Steam I will point out that the servers for Halo 2 on PC were recently shut down due to inactivity. If Halo 2 were going to be on Steam then MS would have anticipated an influx of players in the multi.

Sorry. We all want this to happen but there is Zero Point Zero Percent chance that the Halo games will be on Steam.

Dr Dogg

I think Valve have been playing games with the registry for a while now. Can remember they put a new list up once saying something like "Please stop looking in here". I saw Planetscape Torement was listed just before the crimbo sale and still hasn't surfaced.

LegatoB

The King of Fighters games all run on Windows XP-based arcade hardware as it is, so cleaning them up to make barebones PC versions wouldn't be that difficult.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Second Life was already confirmed to be coming to Steam a few months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487326

That's part of why I think this is relevant, the mix of stuff that showed up is a mix of:
- Stuff we knew was coming to Steam at some point
- Stuff we knew that's coming to PC at some point, but no Steam announcement
- Stuff that could conceivably be coming to Steam
- Stuff that's not announced but could easily be a plausible product
- Totally out to lunch stuff like Halo 3 and KOF that would be totally out to left field if they came to Steam.

1-D_FTW

if they were going to add support for non steam games, it would make more sense to add stuff that's either new or popular. i don't think that's the case

might buy the kofs if they have online and for kof xiii, if it has everything the console versions had. there was a kof xiii pc leak, which was ripped from the arcades i think, but it didn't have some of the content the console versions had

Agreed. Halo is pretty freaking old. Surely they could have come up with better candidates than a game released 10 years ago.

Wasn't Halo 2's online on the PC shut down just last month? It's completely bizarre that it would show up on Steam.

Could someone other than Valve have found an exploit and added these for the lulz? Some of these make absolutely no sense.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Halo 3 on Steam sounds like a real, real stretch. Definitely seems like they're making communities for games that aren't and won't be on steam...weird, though. Man I'd love some Halo 3 multiplayer on PC.

I'm not so sure. I'd think that if Valve were receptive to the idea of non-Steam-game hubs it'd release an update that automatically creates them based on community-tagged contributions, with basic auto-correction preventing dupes (e.g. Battlefeld 3 is fixed as Battlefield 3).

Omega

Banned
Hope this is true.

Halo 3 being sold on Steam would work. Games are sold on Steam but still require GFWL/uPlay.

Maybe Microsoft learned that making it GFWL exclusive and OS exclusive was a big mistake and wouldn't do it twice.

Top Bottom