• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Orbis vs Durango Spec Analysis

Yes. PS4 in comparison is using some of the GPU CU's to compliment their CPU. PS4 still has the raw power edge, but this helps to show why the gap isn't as big as it was originally sounding.

So it could end up being another 360 /PS3 situation?

Where one console has a advantage on paper, but in real terms, the power difference isn't as wide or as great as people assume it will be based on the paper specs.

So it could end up being another 360 /PS3 situation?

Where one console has a advantage on paper, but in real terms, the power difference isn't as wide or as great as people assume it will be based on the paper specs.

For the most part yes. I don't think the gap is going to be enough to justify multiplat devs increasing the budget for that. IMO obviously based on what all is known so far.

This is why AMD had a lot more engineers on the Durango project

Look who's also back. :p

THE:MILKMAN

The VGleaks article on Durango doesn't list or mention anything extra for the CPU. Wouldn't this sort of info be in the docs they have?

JaggedSac

Passing along some info I just posted on B3D.

Xbox 3's CPU from a FLOPs perspective seems it may have as much as double the performance of "vanilla" Jaguar cores.

Do you mind throwing a link to the beyond3d thread. I follow 2 of them and don't see any discussion about this new cpu info.

EDIT: nm, I found it.

meta4

For the most part yes. I don't think the gap is going to be enough to justify multiplat devs increasing the budget for that. IMO obviously based on what all is known so far.

Cool stuff. Thanks!

Does your source talk about ease of development this time? Are both consoles straightforward from a development perspective or will we have a PS3 situation with any of the consoles?

Respawn

Banned
A good move from Sony would be to go 8GB DDR3. It would be cheaper, Sony would spend less memory on non-game stuff and would allow the devs to code in low level if wanted. So Sony still would be on a better place RAM wise.

lol no. That is not a better place ram wise compared to GDDR5

i-Lo

Look who's also back. :p

If it was your money on the line, which one would you go for? Plain and simple w/o beating around the bush.

EDIT: Yea, thought so.

Sykra

So basically Microsoft spent time boosting the cpu with AMD but Sony wasn't in the mood to do adjustments to the cpu in any way other than simply adding Cu's from the gpu?
That's hard to believe.

Xbox 3's CPU from a FLOPs perspective seems it may have as much as double the performance of "vanilla" Jaguar cores.

I hope you are right...
The more powerful they both are the less they'll be dragging eachother down for ports and the less pc ports will suffer for the next 5-6 years...

Respawn

Banned
So basically Microsoft spent time boosting the cpu with AMD but Sony wasn't in the mood to the it with the same company?
That's hard to believe.

You're trying to see something that's not there. Think about the overall architecture of Orbis and how each part should complement each other based on what we know. Durango in the same boat of course.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So basically Microsoft spent time boosting the cpu with AMD but Sony wasn't in the mood to the it with the same company?
That's hard to believe.

We haven't heard all that much about the CPUs for either system outside of 8 jaguar cores, they could each be custom. It would make sense that MS would have tweaked it for better multitasking, it may also be why PS4 has the 4 GPU CUs that can be used for compute functions.

MS having a more custom CPU also makes sense with the rumors of them having some yield issues and having more cores reserved/locked than Sony. It won't make much of a difference if those 6 open cores are more efficient. I've honestly been surprised that it looks like MS was going for a straight up Jaguar core based on previous rumors. CPU clock speed is something I figured would improve for both consoles before launch. 1.6GHz per core on Jaguar is very cool and uses very little energy. It's the one place where I can see some wiggle room.

The VGleaks article on Durango doesn't list or mention anything extra for the CPU. Wouldn't this sort of info be in the docs they have?

The VGLeaks doesn't even call them Jaguar cores. That info was rather thin.

Do you mind throwing a link to the beyond3d thread. I follow 2 of them and don't see any discussion about this new cpu info.

Here you go.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1707843#post1707843

Cool stuff. Thanks!

Does your source talk about ease of development this time? Are both consoles straightforward from a development perspective or will we have a PS3 situation with any of the consoles?

From what I've been able to gather, it seems that other than normal nuances of new hardware it's rather straightforward.

That's hard to believe.

Sony seems to have put their BoM more into the GPU-side.

Ill tell you what Durangos secret sauce will be:-

cash.jpg

Anyone thinking different is fooling themselves.

THE:MILKMAN

The VGLeaks doesn't even call them Jaguar cores. That info was rather thin.

To be fair, If you believe the detailed GPU info on VGleaks, Microsoft don't recognise it as a GCN GPU so I wouldn't expect them to call the CPU "Jaguar" (Maybe Kryptos?)

Be interesting if VGleaks have a new article on Monday for this.

Pistolero

Nope, not really. Unless the Orbis is a monstruosity to code for...
Let me update that by saying that I do not I susbscribe to the theory of a significant Orbis advantage. What I was trying to convey is that, unlike the current gen, Sony's plateform will not suffer the dire consequences of its RAM setup and agressive CPU architecture on 3rd party games...
A win-win situation for both machines, imo! :)

bgassassin to the rescue! Tadadam!
First, many thanks for the new update. Second, any additional info on the GPU side of Durango?

I think VGLeaks has squeezed that dry.

To be fair, If you believe the detailed GPU info on VGleaks, Microsoft don't recognise it as a GCN GPU so I wouldn't expect them to call the CPU "Jaguar" (Maybe Kryptos?)

Right, but like I also mentioned the CPU info was thin.

Be interesting if VGleaks have a new article on Monday for this.

LOL. That would be a coincidence I had nothing to do with.

i-Lo

image.php

Was right. Again.

It's PS3/360 part 2.

At least, given the myriad rumours pointing to the ease of leveraging performance from the Orbis, it will at least not be PS3/360 in that regard. More like "360 with 4GB GDDR5/360 with 8GB DDR3".

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
He means in power gap. Not in coding.

Those expecting a PS2 - Xbox difference (30fps in one game, 60fps in another is going to be disappointed)

It'll be interesting if Durango has (according to rumors) 6 very efficient cores open to games while PS4 has 7 or 7.5 of slower cores plus a couple of the extra CUs. Orbis may still have an advantage in rendering but it won't have a guaranteed boost in compute functions as well.

Are Orbis's CPU core's "vanilla" Jaguar cores? I would expect a level of customization from both consoles CPU's?

edit: theres also the rumor that Durango has 2 cores reserved for the OS. We don't know what Orbis is doing on this front, but it could be 1-2 as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are Orbis's CPU core's "vanilla" Jaguar cores? I would expect a level of customization from both consoles CPU's?

They're probably not vanilla but they likely aren't as custom as Durango's are. Sony was originally targeting Steamroller for their CPU before switching over to Jaguar later on and they're focused more on the GPU this time around.

scently

It'll be interesting if Durango has (according to rumors) 6 very efficient cores open to games while PS4 has 7 or 7.5 of slower cores plus a couple of the extra CUs. Orbis may still have an advantage in rendering but it won't have a guaranteed boost in compute functions as well.

Can I ask why people assume that the ps4 will not be reserving a core or two for OS, because it will, whether you want it to or not.

i-Lo

They're probably not vanilla but they likely aren't as custom as Durango's are. Sony was originally targeting Steamroller for their CPU before switching over to Jaguar later on and they're focused more on the GPU this time around.

Reminds of PS3 situation with their plans of utilizing two CELL processors until 2 years before its release.

For better or worse Sony are stuck with little puss and the true test lies with its gaming related performance.

At this point, discussion of specs is kind of moot because they look to remain largely unchanged from here till release and so if one feels "slighted, cheated, disdain, disgusted, disappointed" by looking what is on paper then that will not change.

image.php

Was right. Again.

It's PS3/360 part 2.

its not nearly close to the same situation because those consoles architectures were completely different. It was like comparing Apples to Oranges before with PS4's Cell advantage and 360's GPU advantage.

Its apples to apples now. The flops are directly comparable. The memory set up of each consoles, with one having 2.5x the bandwidth, and the other having 1.5x the memory, will be bit of a different of a situation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reminds of PS3 situation with their plans of utilizing two CELL processors until 2 years before its release.

For better or worse Sony are stuck with little puss and the true test lies with its gaming related performance.

At this point, discussion of specs is kind of moot because they look to remain largely unchanged from here till release and so if one feels "slighted, cheated, disdain, disgusted, disappointed" by looking what is on paper then that will not change.

I think that's probably why it's the 14+4 set up on the GPU, to have an extra 400GFlops for compute if necessary. If they weren't using GDDR5 I could see them substantially upping the clock speed but the RAM is going to add a lot of heat/energy consumption so I don't see all that much of an improvement possible in clock speed, maybe a slight one.

i-Lo

More compute performance. To make it less vague we're looking at ~200 GFLOPs.

Here is a simpler question for you: Are you happy with the way the next gen system designed to be sold for around $400 are being spec'd?

I think that's probably why it's the 14+4 set up on the GPU, to have an extra 400GFlops for compute if necessary.

And they compromising the GPU to do so. Or at least it is now up to the devs.

Those stronger CPU's wouldn't really benefit games would it? Mostly multi tasking? I thought game development was going on a heavy GPU focus.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Here is a simpler question for you: Are you happy with the way the next gen system designed to be sold for around $400 are being spec'd?

And they compromising the GPU to do so. Or at least it is now up to the devs.

If those CUs are still good for rendering and can be customized separately from one another it won't compromise much. Even if all 4 are used, there is still a small rendering advantage over Durango. If the Durango CPU advantage is 200GFlops Orbis can still use 1.6Tflops for rendering and the extra 2 CUs for compute.

More compute performance. To make it less vague we're looking at ~200 GFLOPs.
Interesting. I'm assuming you mean a total of 200 GFLOPS, not an additional 200 GFLOPS, as I believe calculations had the 8 Jaguar cores at ~100 GFLOPS.

But while that would help to bridge the gap; wouldn't Orbis' CUs if used wholly to assist the CPU (as some have been suggesting they must) amount to an additional 400 GFLOPS in compute performance?

If those CUs are more flexible in their use, then essentially 1 CU is all that would be needed to assist the CPU in multiplats - if they were fully utilising Durango's CPU?

Top Bottom