• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Orbis vs Durango Spec Analysis

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's consistently dumped on both consoles. Just a heads up.

Yeah, Spongebob has been pretty negative toward everything, to be honest. It's definitely not just a Durango thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why is everyone equating me telling the truth to trolling?

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

You're crazy negative and combative to other posters in every post I've seen you make.

Spongebob

Banned
But how can you be telling the truth when your just speculating on info that is not confirmed? At this point nothing can be spoken as truth.
Bgassassin has been very reliable thus far, his info is close enough to something being confirmed for me.

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/thumb/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg/500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg[img]

You're crazy negative and combative to other posters in every post I've seen you make.[/QUOTE]

I've been negative, but rarely have I been combative, if at all.

MaulerX

Bgassassin has been very reliable thus far, his info is close enough to something being confirmed for me.

That's true and that's why I'm pretty stoked about the CPU revelation. Now that is new news. What your clinging to has been rumored and discussed for weeks.

saunderez

I have a feeling based off the Dev kit pics it will be built into the console.

That would be stupid. It would turn the PS4 into a no sale for me because I keep my console inside a cabinet. Even with the doors open as they are during gameplay there still wouldn't be clear line of sight for camera's they'd be looking straight at my coffee table. Would be a really dumb having it built into the console in the final retail unit.

Roki6

Banned
That would be stupid. It would turn the PS4 into a no sale for me because I keep my console inside a cabinet. Even with the doors open as they are during gameplay there still wouldn't be clear line of sight for camera's they'd be looking straight at my coffee table. Would be a really dumb having it built into the console in the final retail unit.

Maybe he meant that it will be packed in with every console.

But if there is minimum distance between cameras and it is as on leaked photo, then bultin could be the best solution. That or oversized kinect :/

Proxy

I have a feeling based off the Dev kit pics it will be built into the console. Doesn't bother me one bit. There will be the motion gaming audience and us who like our platinum type games and glorious fps's plus the RPG's thrown in for the love.

Dev kits don't go in a cabinet or underneath a TV stand. It's not going to be built into the console if it's included at all.

Ramblin

Banned
still trolling i see.

[Pac-man]
Yeah -- clear enough for ya? (1080p right?)
(Hahahahaha) Yeah
(Hehehehe) Why gamaz look mad? (Is that right?)
Y'all supposed to be happy I'm free2play!
Y'all gamaz look like y'all wanted me to stay behind a paywall, hahah!
block bustaz

Picture me trollin in my 500 Benz
I got no love for these gamaz, there's no need to be friends
Kinect got me under surveillance, that's what somebody be tellin
Know there's games bein sold, but I ain't the one sellin!
Don't want to be another number
I got a fuckin gang of NPD to keep from goin under
The Mods wanna see me dead - gamaz put prices on my head
Now I got two Move Sharp Shooters by me bed, I feed em lead
Now I'm released, how will I live? Will God forgive me
for all the dirt a gama did, to feed kids?
One life to live, it's so hard to be positive
when gamaz shootin at your crib
Mama, I'm still postin, the world is a console war zone
My homies is banned, and most of them dead wrong
Full grown, finally a man, just scheamin on ways
to put some MS points inside the palms of my empty hands
Just picture me trollin
Flossin a gamertag that isn't stolen
My memes is censored, my gifs are gone
I'm like a fiend that finally sees when all the double-xp is gone
My nerves is wrecked, heart beatin and my hands is swollen
thinkin of the Games I'll be holdin, picture me trollin

Can you see me now? Heheheh
Move to the side a little bit so you can get a CLEAR picture
Can you see it? Hahah
Picture me trollin
Yeah gama!
Ay but peep how my gama Wario64 do it to you
Guess who's back?

[Wario64]
I got ps4's, comin from overseas
Cost a gama two hundred G's
I'm a street comando, Nintendo for example
This sony lifestyle is hard to handle
So I got to floss cause I'm more like a boss playa
Thug, branded to be a PC gamer
So many playa haters, imitaters steady swangin
Make me wanna start back bangin
So I'm caught up in the game, konami code changed
Packin forty glocks, contain em or rearrange
All that jealousy and envy comin from my enemies
While I'm sippin on mountain dew
in front of black Wii U, Vita's on the roam
N64 big body, sittin on chrome
As we head up out the zone, stone-facin is on
You can admire, but don't look too long
I'm livin a dream with PStriple beams and my pockets bulgin
It's hard to imagine -- picture me trollin!

[Spongebob]
Picture, picture me, picture me trollin
Trollin, picture me trollin
Wheelin, picture me trollin in
Picture me yea yeah

[C3PO]
Mmm, I gots to get the fuck up in it, formulate a caper
Cause a gama straight sufferin from lack of havin paper
My glitch fin' to have DLC, see?
So I needs to hit a lick, drastically
I see some baldin-ass gamaz and they slippin in my spot
And, uh, diggin the plots (so what?)
Checkin in the park, 'Pac

[Pac-man]
We caught em sleepin, he didn't peep you gamaz creepin?
This how we do it every weekend
I double jump for madness, it's time to count the profit
C3PO, we got the bomb spot, gama time to unlock it
I get the doritos, and you could get the females
This crooked shit that we inflictin gettin broken street date sales

[C3PO]
Move smooth as a motherfucker, 60fps and my nine
I'm as cool as a motherfucker, I'ma get mine
Now we satisfied, got the pockets on swollen
Boss Hog and this 'Pac-man gama... picture us trollin

[Sponge]
Trollin
Picture me troll-hoee-ollin
Picture me, picture me trollin

[Pac-man speaks while Spongebob keeps singing]
Heheheheheheh
Is y'all ready for me?
Picture me trollin troll call
You know there's some muh'fuckers out there I just could not forget about
I wanna make sure they can see me
Number one on my list: Entertainment Software Ratings Board
All you glitch ass ESRB's
Can you gamaz see me from there?
Ballin on y'all punk ass, ahhaahahah!
Picture me trollin, baby
Yeah, all them gamaz up in them cell blocks
I told y'all gamaz when I come home it's on (like donkey kong)
Hmm, that's right gama, picture me trollin
Oh, I didn't forget The D.K.
Yeah, that glitch had a lot to talk about in court
Can GAF see me from here?
Can you see me, GAF?
Picture me trollin
And all you punk police -- can you see me?
Am I clear to you?
Picture me trollin gama, legit
Free like PSN all day
You can't stop me
You know I got my gamaz up in this motherfucker
Wario64, Qwerty710710, Spongebob, Devolution
Can you picture us trollin?
Can you see me GAF? Hehehe
Is y'all ready for me? .. We up out this glitch
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me trollin

He's consistently dumped on both consoles. Just a heads up.

In this case (regardless of his post history) I'm not sure how calling always online forced drm and no used games a disaster would be trolling?
Even a broken clock will be right twice a day.

I think it's a disaster too, I calls em as I sees em, don't need to have any love or hate for either team to do that.

If anything pretending that always online and no used/trading wouldn't be a big issue for a lot of gamers would be the trolling/fanboy rationalistion.
Lowering the bar in the name of political correctness and to say 'everyone's farts smell equally' is pretty sad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's true and that's why I'm pretty stoked about the CPU revelation. Now that is new news. What your clinging to has been rumored and discussed for weeks.

Oh come on. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss that in this thread--especially when BG himself just also confirmed always online and no used games on the previous page.

Hydrargyrus

2 cores for the OS ? That means that no matter what the devs can't have access to them ?
They will only have 6 cores to work with ?
3gb of RAM reserved for OS is true as well ? What could potentially warrant such amount ?

I'm disappointed. a 6 core CPU and 5gb of ram available to devs sounds depressing...:(

That's what I think.
These are a lot of resources...

Jack_AG

Banned
It looks like it.

Since the dual shock 4 seems to have built in move functionality there will almost certainly be some sort of camera of sorts packed into every PS4.

My interest in the PS4 has gone down as a result of this.

I would still wait and see what happens with both Move/Kinect functionality. If there's anything this gen has shown is that while we have things like Sixaxis - Sony learned early on that making it mandatory for games is a no-no and I'm sure MS knows this, too.

I don't care for motion controls and if I have the option, I won't use them. I'm not too worried that Sony will force motion controls, honestly. They've been doing a lot of things right the past few years and they need to keep it up since the slope they are on is still quite slippery. They are gaining trust from gamers again and another slip-up would really hurt them - especially during a launch period like this year.

I would keep my eyes on both PS4/XB3 to see what happens, not to mention, we technically have no concrete information on anything - just rumors. Far too early to call anything. I'd love to blast Sony for this and MS for a more casual approach - but those are still rumors until we hear directly from them about their new rigs. Patience.

Razgreez

By the leaks i am not sure there are dsps in Orbis for camera processing.

If they're going to be leveraging camera functionality heavily, which it appears they are, then it would only remain logical to have ASICs/DPSs specifically dedicated to the processing of information to and from those devices... Although large companies, as ever, remain slow illogical entities if experience is anything to go by

onQ123

Hold your horses. If they come with some AR/VR it will be more than one.

Unless the cameras hold some processing power of their own / DSPs can handle that?

The Sony Patent for Sound Localization For User in Motion show a Console with a chip for Head tracking & a chip for device tracking (controllers).

also if it's AR/VR that's still part of the game so I'm not getting the point of that comment.

If they're going to be leveraging camera functionality heavily, which it appears they are, then it would only remain logical to have ASICs/DPSs specifically dedicated to the processing of information to and from those devices... Although large companies, as ever, remain slow illogical entities if experience is anything to go by

Pretty much.

It was me misremembering a quote I didn't see and only saw people talk about it. I believe this might be Sweetvar's original quote about it.

Alright, I'm in Toronto and was talking to my buddy who works at the AMD headquarters here.

As of what he tells me, they both are using same chip with different specifications from Sony and Microsoft, something like the market's 7700-7800, not really sure. He did mention the word "Jaguar processor".

As for the PS4, the first chip has already been sent out two months ago, it is back after a month or so, for the second revision. He says there should be a third and if they don't see any problems, should be ready for mass production. Apparently, AMD did delay the work, he says it is around 6 months behind schedule.

The Xbox 720/loop or whatever it is called, they are about to ship the chip tomorrow, they are expecting it back within a month or so for the second revision. Xbox is right on time, no delays so far. A feature for the Xbox that the PS4 doesn't have is something related to "ARM security". I did not get that part. However the internal talk at AMD is that, the Xbox is like a super computer(not sure if it is the chip or the console). Him and the team at AMD feels the Xbox is going to be more 'powerful'.

I did ask him to find out what the market equivalent card would the chips be, he said he will. Apparently the Xbox 720 team is sponsoring for lunch and a movie today(Looper), they are about to ship the first chip out tomorrow and they are expecting it back within a month for more revisions. He believes both the consoles should be out next fall, not far from each other.

So far I trust what I was told. The high-level guy from EA did talk about this to an extent for both consoles. We'll see eventually.
If Xbox is going to have a ARM Trust Zone processor then it must have a BUSS that supports ARM CPUs. This then would allow for a low power ARM/neon processor for wake on Voice command. I can't see any other way for Durango to do that and not burn too much power.

In the following picture of a Cadence IP for handhelds which includes Wide IO support on right of picture and ARM CPU buss arbitration on left.

Wide_IO_Controller.jpg

The Memory fabric controller in AMD SoCs may have provisions for this. This is also a generic fabric controller/move controller solution for handhelds that have accelerators. QOS is a part of the memory and fabric control (fabric = multi thread control).

The above with PS4 not having ARM BUSS or processors and Durango with it could be a legitimate design difference. PS4 would not have wake on voice or if it did then it would idle at about 5 watts or less where Durango would idle at a watt or less.

amstradcpc said:
Sony high end cameras have the DSP (Analog to digital) in the camera to reduce noise. So only audio would need a seperate DSP to convert analog to digital. Once converted to digital, CPUs work on the digital information to do comparisons for Voice and Video recognition.

EDIT: Just found this on SemiAccurate by MTd2 on solving latency for GaiKai over networks.

also if it's AR/VR that's still part of the game so I'm not getting the point of that comment

I was refering to the flops needed to track VR glasses with no lag, and accurately at 60fps. If we sums to this a possible interactive 3d space over the dualshock ( in this case it would be more AR than VR ), then you have to add even more flops to process all.

onQ123

I was refering to the flops needed to track VR glasses with no lag, and accurately at 60fps. If we sums to this a possible interactive 3d space over the dualshock ( in this case it would be more AR than VR ), then you have to add even more flops to process all.

& again that still will be part of a game so why would you say "hold your horses" when I said

"Less than 1? so all 8 cores available to devs when making games?"

Where's the source claiming that less than half a core is being reserved in Orbis?

From 512 MB to 3 GB, from half a less powerful core to 2 more powerful cores. Either Durango is gonna smoke PS4 when it comes to non gaming features, or this is just bizarre.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Where's the source claiming that less than half a core is being reserved in Orbis?

From 512 MB to 3 GB, from half a less powerful core to 2 more powerful cores. Either Durango is gonna smoke PS4 when it comes to non gaming features, or this is just bizarre.

Is there any question Durango is going to "smoke" Orbis in that regard? Look at Vita. It does basically everything you want and reserves less resources (instant multitasking, frozen game states, party chat, etc.).

The Durango is obviously going to be doing things that Sony is not even thinking of. It just sounds like I don't give a shit, at least so far.

Man

Is there any question Durango is going to "smoke" Orbis in that regard? Look at Vita. It does basically everything you want and reserves less resources (instant multitasking, frozen game states, party chat, etc.).

The Durango is obviously going to be doing things that Sony is not even thinking of. It just sounds like I don't give a shit, at least so far.
There's a point where one console is doing 'enough'. The PS4 will surely have the LiveArea functionality of Vita and possibly combined with video/media recording uploads the platform is doing everything I need in terms of community features.

Vita PSN is like Live++ combined with a forum/twitter. PS4 PSN should be terrific.

Interfectum

Full scale multitasking / game switching, home server features and always on/always listening Kinect/Siri camera and real time ad placement will eat up most of that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's a point where one console is doing 'enough'. The PS4 will surely have the LiveArea functionality of Vita and possibly combined with video/media recording uploads the platform is doing everything I need in terms of community features.

Vita PSN is like Live++ combined with a forum/twitter. PS4 PSN should be terrific.

I'm not disagreeing. I'd MUCH rather have, like, literally no OS functionality and the full shebang reserved for games. Even today I don't use any of that stuff on 360 or PS3. I'm just saying that people incredulous at the difference are not even considering what the Durango could potentially be able to do.

I'm still putting a blanket over the console to cover the Kinect.

scently

I think the ps4 will reserve at least a core for OS tasks. The ps3 reserved one of its SPEs, the Vita uses an entire core so I just don't see how it will use less than one core, doesn't make sense. Also you want to have a proper QoS, so saying that you can use a percent is not right but what do I know.

The ps4 will have a lot of non-gaming related services, that much I am sure. The battle for the living room/home is one that Sony also wants to win. They do have an extensive host of media and other services/ecosystem. I think this upcoming generation is going to focus a lot on media/other services more than people think, and its not just because these companies want to, but because the have to. They both have competition coming from Apple and Google. Once you are locked into an ecosystem, its really hard to switch. The thing is, I still expect both companies to provide solid gaming experiences with these boxes, despite whatever else they will do.

iceatcs

In-game OS may be sound right if it using less a core.

Full OS will use most of hardware anyway. I suspect some of features won't be standard - share button if true or video chat. It is up to devs to enable or not to spare more power.

JaggedSac

Full scale multitasking / game switching, home server features and always on/always listening Kinect/Siri camera and real time ad placement will eat up most of that.

The multitasking and game switching will be what eats up most of that RAM. Could be quite nice, but not sure until I actually use it. Devs will need to implement some sort of tombstoning that will dump game state to memory. MS probably has some guidelines on how much RAM is allowed to be used for each game. Curious to see how they handle when RAM limits are reached. Do they notify the user that a game is going to be dumped if they open something?

Home server features (if they are there) such as transcoding (if it will do any) will utilize those reserved CPU resources and a small amount of RAM. If other devices just play the data directly, just a small amount of RAM would be needed for that. I am basing this on what resources my PLEX server utilizes on my PC when things are streaming from it.

Kinect OS level camera and voice processing will utilize a small amount of RAM and CPU resources. Curious if the camera will still be processing stuff during gameplay, as that seems a bit unnecessary to me to have that functionality to be always there. Reserved voice commands I could certainly see, but having those libraries loaded at all times shouldn't take up much RAM at all, especially since the console is always on, TellMe will most likely be leveraged.

No idea what real time ad placement is referring to.

Yeah I guess I'm in the same boat.

Full scale Multi tasking seems like a bit of a "nobody asked for" feature in a home console. And that seems like it will be the one sucking up most of the reserved resources. What is MS trying to accomplish here? To have somebody play a game and watch tv at the same time? That sounds unnecessary. 2 games running at once? Even more unnecessary. It's hard to wrap my head around any sort of point that validates it.

Always on and Kinct Siri don't seem like they will eat much of the resources at all, when you consider MS has a Kinect chip inside the box + an apparently powerful audio processing unit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VGLeaks has posted an article about Orbis's DisplayScanoutEngine. Basically similar to the Display Plane stuff in Durango, but with 2 planes instead of 3.

The main difference between Durango and Orbis relies in the number of “planes”. Orbis only contains two independent pipelines, one for games and one for OS overlays (Durango has three). Functions are similar, it allows to scale independently in resolution and blend, besides being framerate independant as well.

Each pipeline supports the following features:

- Surface resolutions from 320×200 to 1920×1080

- Hight quality up and down scalers

- Surface format may be 32 or 64 bits per pixel

- Deep color support (8, 10 or 12 bits per pixel)

- Two cursor overlays (up to 64×64 each, 3-D support).

http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-displayscanout-engine-dce/

Kind of boilerplate, low level stuff, so didn't think it was worth its own thread.

Although 'Cursor overlays' is kind of curious. Makes me think of the trackpad, and if there'll be a cursor controlled OS in place or something. Or maybe that means something else entirely :p

VGLeaks has posted an article about Orbis's DisplayScanoutEngine. Basically similar to the Display Plane stuff in Durango, but with 2 planes instead of 3.

http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-displayscanout-engine-dce/

Kind of boilerplate, low level stuff, so didn't think it was worth its own thread.

Although 'Cursor overlays' is kind of curious. Makes me think of the trackpad, and if there'll be a cursor controlled OS in place or something. Or maybe that means something else entirely :p

Well, the trophy pop up will appear smoothly...

scently

The multitasking and game switching will be what eats up most of that RAM. Could be quite nice, but not sure until I actually use it. Devs will need to implement some sort of tombstoning that will dump game state to memory. MS probably has some guidelines on how much RAM is allowed to be used for each game. Curious to see how they handle when RAM limits are reached. Do they notify the user that a game is going to be dumped if they open something?

Home server features (if they are there) such as transcoding (if it will do any) will utilize those reserved CPU resources and a small amount of RAM. If other devices just play the data directly, just a small amount of RAM would be needed for that. I am basing this on what resources my PLEX server utilizes on my PC when things are streaming from it.

Kinect OS level camera and voice processing will utilize a small amount of RAM and CPU resources. Curious if the camera will still be processing stuff during gameplay, as that seems a bit unnecessary to me to have that functionality to be always there. Reserved voice commands I could certainly see, but having those libraries loaded at all times shouldn't take up much RAM at all, especially since the console is always on, TellMe will most likely be leveraged.

No idea what real time ad placement is referring to.

Kinect has its own processor.

Top Bottom