• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU technical discussion (serious discussions welcome)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. Is there anything that can be taken from the fact that you can change from day to night instantly in the game (with the PC textures and improved lighting systems) and there appears to nothing wrong graphically during the change?

1) The dev tools for the Wii U were a bit premature until recently.

2) Memory Bandwidth doesn't appear to be as much of a bottleneck as some people was making it out to be.

3) The Wii U seems to have better hardware for lighting than current-gen. That is likely due it having a more modern-GPU and that there could be some customizations done to make the hardware even more proficient with lighting.

As for your specific question, I would have to agree with Joeiv.

PC ports make more sense, the PC low setting should be below Wii U. so Wii U will fit in that medium/low specs. Mostly however Nintendo seems to be going after exclusives with more intensity than multiplats. Using their resources for collaborations with developers and doing crossovers, paying to bring out cancelled games from other studios. That seems to be their focus more than making sure GTAV is coming.

This subject is a bit off-topic, but I do agree with your answer.

720 is still a gen ahead so I don't see how...

It can't even get 360 ports.

Because of the PS4 event people are talking PS4 to Wii U, which thinking about it does not make sense "if" Xbox really results inferior.

If Xbox Next Results inferior than PS4, then Wii U has a greater chance IMO.

This industry is becoming very risky. It makes sense 3rd party is not investing heavily on Wii U. If it gets decent sales this can change though. Even then most Wii U buyers want Nintendo Games or this new collaborations which seem like a great idea because they will not be on the other systems, making the Wii U even more unique.

And before speculating 720 is not officially revealed so there is that also.

The transition will last longer than people think, and that is good for Wii U.

AzaK

They shouldn't have cheaped out on the RAM though. I mean it's effin DDR3, it would have probably costed them less than 10 bucks (including raised motherboard complexity) and they (or the devs) would ultimately have one (maybe the biggest) concern less regarding ports.
Would have also meant they get twice the bandwidth.

They should have also put 2 more CPU cores in there, wouldn't have meant a big increase in die size nor power draw. Including the DSP this would have meant parity with the 6 XB360 threads and wouldn't be too far off the 8 PS4 threads.

Wouldn't surprise me if when Nintendo thought of 2GB they never ever had an inkling that the other machines would go for 8. Even then, it's gotta be hard to know how much of that X (8-OS amount) will actually be practically usable. Will developers really start throwing 5-6GB of textures in memory at once? If they do I imagine it'll be a cache reason as opposed to actually drawing 6GB of textures per frame. It's not like the games are going to be running in 4K where they need massive frame buffers.

But that's nothing to do with the abilities of Wii U.

Assuming a publishers wants to do a Wii U version, it will then all come down to the engine and its ability to scale. Lower res textures, less multi texturing, smaller draw distances, streaming off disk most as opposed to holding more in RAM, small data structures that might not enable AI etc as great as the RAM beasts but still be passable. All that stuff can be adjusted for. Hopefully Nintendo free up some more of the OS 1GB to make it that much easier.

So how does that CPU compare to the Jaguar?

One of the tech guys will chime in but I think it's pretty comparable as far as clock for clock goes albeit *maybe* not as great at double precision floating point. Also there are more jaguar cores and they are clocked higher.

ozfunghi

So how does that CPU compare to the Jaguar?

One of the tech guys will chime in but I think it's pretty comparable as far as clock for clock goes albeit *maybe* not as great at double precision floating point. Also there are more jaguar cores and they are clocked higher.

Blu ran a benchmark on Wii's CPU (so Wii, not WiiU), and it was more performant than a Bobcat CPU per core per clock at Wii(U)'s least favorable CPU benchmark. Keeping in mind advancements of Jaguar over Bobcat and Espresso over Broadway, you could expect one Espresso core to roughly keep up with 1 Jaguar core at their final frequency. Except that there are only 3 Espresso cores in WiiU, and 8 (?) Jaguar cores in PS4. Don't know if all 8 can be used for games though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47593495&postcount=3295

MDX

I predict the WiiU will have an edge over the PS4, and possibly Durango, with DoF effects and lighting. Whereas the other two will have an edge with textures and particles.

tkscz

And yet it's getting Watch Dogs, and got several 360 ports. Plus NFS: MW looks better than it's 360 counter part. Not sure why you felt the need to say this.

Question: How much of the PS4's RAM is for games?

Blu ran a benchmark on Wii's CPU (so Wii, not WiiU), and it was more performant than a Bobcat CPU per core per clock at Wii(U)'s least favorable CPU benchmark. Keeping in mind advancements of Jaguar over Bobcat and Espresso over Broadway, you could expect one Espresso core to roughly keep up with 1 Jaguar core at their final frequency. Except that there are only 3 Espresso cores in WiiU, and 8 (?) Jaguar cores in PS4. Don't know if all 8 can be used for games though.

A insider/dev on here said that its less than one core reserved for the OS. I forgot what thread it was in. Think the VGleaks Durango thread. PS4 has a second companion chip for the OS as well, likely ARM based.

edit: It was Gopher who said the PS4 reserves less than 1 core. He's supposed to be pretty well respected around here.

Spongebob

Banned
And yet it's getting Watch Dogs, and got several 360 ports. Plus NFS: MW looks better than it's 360 counter part. Not sure why you felt the need to say this.

Question: How much of the PS4's RAM is for games?

At 4GB Sony were heavily rumored to be reserving 0.5GB for the OS.

At 8GB were likely looking at anywhere between 1-2GB reserved for the OS.

tkscz

At 4GB Sony were heavily rumored to be reserving 0.5GB for the OS.

At 8GB were likely looking at anywhere between 1-2GB reserved for the OS.

I was thinking about the same, but all the shit you can do while playing sounds like it could very easily consume 3 or even 4 Gigs if they're not careful.

I predict the WiiU will have an edge over the PS4, and possibly Durango, with DoF effects and lighting. Whereas the other two will have an edge with textures and particles.
Why do you think that?

The rumor has it that the PS4 only reserved less than one core and 0.5GB of memory, but was before Sony increased the RAM. Anyway, the Wii U CPU may be able to hold its ground better than expected if devs optimized their code to the processor's forte (paired-singles).

ozfunghi

The rumor has it that the PS4 only reserved less than one core and 0.5GB of memory, but was before Sony increased the RAM. Anyway, the Wii U CPU may be able to hold its ground better than expected if devs optimized their code to the processor's forte (paired-singles).

I know about the RAM. But if Sony can really get a decent OS running on only 512MB, including streaming HD video (share button), Nintendo should be to get their OS running on 256 or less.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

You cannot actually be serious. The lighting and DoF on show for PS4 games in alpha and tech demo engines already looks vastly superior over half a year away from release.

It is not the Os
I know about the RAM. But if Sony can really get a decent OS running on only 512MB, including streaming HD video (share button), Nintendo should be to get their OS running on 256 or less.
It is not just the OS. Nintendo admits that they are reserving memory for future features. Speaking of the OS, I wonder what changes they are making for it that it would take the Spring and Summer to improve the speed of it. Perhaps they will readjust the amount of RAM reserved as well.

A lot of those functions are done by dedicated hardware. Of course you need ram to run the app, but all things related to the video/content being shared is done via dedicated chips.

Lol? There is nothing the PS4 can't do better than the Wii U, aside from "second screen" streaming.

MDX

Why do you think that?

For example with lighting, the Zelda demo & Need For Speed both show off instant changing the night and day setting.

And at this point, I'm seeing better DoF/bokeh, and more of it, from WiiU games and demos than what was shown from the PS4 games and its demos.

Its not that the PS4 or Durango can't do it, or that all games need it, I just think Nintendo has probably focused on making certain visual effects come effortlessly in development and execution. And it makes sense, because when Nintendo researched HD development, they probably tried to determine what aspects would affect their in house development teams in terms of time and financially.

The UE4 demo that they were showing off for the PS4 was more focused on particles and textures and lacked a nice DoF compared to the PC version. Even though it couldn't even keep up with the number of particles.

900x900px-LL-320b76b0_ue4.jpeg

Lighting and DoF all add to atmosphere, which I think is very important for Nintendo developers. Which the PC version of the UE4 demo has more of than the PS4 version.

huJI5anPOKsGmRjJaeioqhs07uhv8CxS_thumb.jpg

Take a look at those flat 2D street poles. And Im not even sure its ingame footage:

ps4-knack-trailer-4.jpg

project-p-100-wii-u-screenshots-6.jpg

For example with lighting, the Zelda demo & Need For Speed both show off instant changing the night and day setting.

And at this point, I'm seeing better DoF/bokeh, and more of it, from WiiU games and demos than what was shown from the PS4 games and its demos.

Its not that the PS4 or Durango can't do it, or that all games need it, I just think Nintendo has probably focused on making certain visual effects come effortlessly in development and execution. And it makes sense, because when Nintendo researched HD development, they probably tried to determine what aspects would affect their in house development teams in terms of time and financially.

The UE4 demo that they were showing off for the PS4 was more focused on particles and textures and lacked a nice DoF compared to the PC version. Even though it couldn't even keep up with the number of particles.

900x900px-LL-320b76b0_ue4.jpeg

Lighting and DoF all add to atmosphere, which I think is very important for Nintendo developers. Which the PC version of the UE4 demo has more of than the PS4 version.

huJI5anPOKsGmRjJaeioqhs07uhv8CxS_thumb.jpg

Take a look at those flat 2D street poles. And Im not even sure its ingame footage:

ps4-knack-trailer-4.jpg

project-p-100-wii-u-screenshots-6.jpg

This thread always delivers.

Spongebob

Banned

http://cdn.overclock.net/3/32/900x900px-LL-320b76b0_ue4.jpeg[img]

[img]http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/huJI5anPOKsGmRjJaeioqhs07uhv8CxS_thumb.jpg[img]

[img]http://i1.cdnds.net/13/08/618x347/ps4-knack-trailer-4.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.gamedynamo.com/images/galleries/photo/2447/project-p-100-wii-u-screenshots-6.jpg[img][/quote]

This is blatant trolling, please stop this.

JordanN

Banned
Lol? There is nothing the PS4 can't do better than the Wii U, aside from "second screen" streaming.

Yeah, I'm confused as well. Maybe he means easier to implement? Supposedly the Wii U's GPU has some fixed functioned elements.

But as an actual advantage for producing better graphics? PS4 will always win.

ozfunghi

hihihi, i thought he was just messing around...

In his defense, that UE4 screenshot on PS4 does look godaweful.

It is not just the OS. Nintendo admits that they are reserving memory for future features. Speaking of the OS, I wonder what changes they are making for it that it would take the Spring and Summer to improve the speed of it. Perhaps they will readjust the amount of RAM reserved as well.

Where does this come from, and what exactly are we talking about?

A lot of those functions are done by dedicated hardware. Of course you need ram to run the app, but all things related to the video/content being shared is done via dedicated chips.

Are these magic chips? I doubt streaming HD video doesn't need any RAM of its own, so either they put in dedicated RAM just for that (but then, why wouldn't they just mention that, as it would only make them look good), or it's eating into the main RAM. And then, if so, i'm wondering: how much? There is simply no logic to be found in the fact that PS4 would only need 512MB and WiiU needs 1GB to run their respective OS's, taking into account the features both are offering.

hihihi, i thought he was just messing around...

In his defense, that UE4 screenshot on PS4 does look godaweful.

Where does this come from, and what exactly are we talking about?

Are these magic chips? I doubt streaming HD video doesn't need any RAM of its own, so either they put in dedicated RAM just for that (but then, why wouldn't they just mention that, as it would only make them look good), or it's eating into the main RAM. And then, if so, i'm wondering: how much? There is simply no logic to be found in the fact that PS4 would only need 512MB and WiiU needs 1GB to run their respective OS's, taking into account the features both are offering.

I was just talking about what was going on with the allocation of reserved RAM. I seriously doubt that the OS is currently anywhere close to 1GB.

As for the PS4, perhaps Sony was in a bind when they only reserved 512MBs when even Nintendo is holding 1GB, but that is off-topic.

Yeah, I'm confused as well. Maybe he means easier to implement? Supposedly the Wii U's GPU has some fixed functioned elements.

But as an actual advantage for producing better graphics? PS4 will always win.
Blu and some of the developers that Blu asked suggested that customizations for the GPU is not fixed shaders, though there would be some for Wii BC. Bgassassin and I suggested that there may be programmable hardware designed for specific tasks like lighting in the GPU, though we honestly can't confirm that.

ahm998

Still i have imagination that wii U will release this part after 2 years.

EaSQs.jpg

Because i notice first time colored for power cable with yellow color.

Also many coming game need more Ram to work , I think nintendo will do it.

Is this possible Technically .

Sorry i post in Wii U another thread.

prag16

Banned
I was thinking about the same, but all the shit you can do while playing sounds like it could very easily consume 3 or even 4 Gigs if they're not careful.
That 15 minute gameplay video buffer alone could be up to 2GB depending on compression and implementation.

tkscz

This is blatant trolling, please stop this.

Is your post serious? =S

What... OH you two interpreted the post wrong. He's saying it in terms of development, and if you've been paying attention to Nintendo, he's probably right. DoF is an affect that's done these days with programmable shaders, something Nintendo admits they can't use, and yet the WiiU supports them (and compute shaders). So more likely than not, a lot of big shader functions (like lighting, DoF, maybe even tessellation) are all fix functions, something Nintendo can deal with no problem. Now, it's obvious the other 2 consoles will be able to do those things, in fact MDX said that, but they more than likely won't be fix function.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think we can at this point categorically state that the WiiU will not exceed the PS4 or Durango in any area of graphics. Fixed functions or no, theres just no way the WiiU is capable of more DoF or any other graphical technique beyond far more powerful machines. There is no special sauce magic that can resolve that. Some better art design on a game by game basis, sure. But at a raw level, this is the reality and acceptance needs to be reached by certain members of this thread.

Pretty much everything on show outranked that lacklustre UE4 demo anyway that seemed rushed to conversion for whatever reason:
So don't worry chaps, High quality DoF is in and spiffy.

FLAguy954

With the final devkits (and hopefully helpful documentation) finally in the hands of developers, do you think we will see some an implementation/version of 'next gen' particle effects in cross-gen and second wave games?

tkscz

I think we can at this point categorically state that the WiiU will not exceed the PS4 or Durango in any area of graphics. Fixed functions or no, theres just no way the WiiU is capable of more DoF or any other graphical technique beyond far more powerful machines. There is no special sauce magic that can resolve that. Some better art design on a game by game basis, sure. But at a raw level, this is the reality and acceptance needs to be reached by certain members of this thread.

Pretty much everything on show outranked that lacklustre UE4 demo anyway that seemed rushed to conversion for whatever reason:

So don't worry chaps, High quality DoF is in and spiffy.

He's not saying the WiiU would do it better, he's saying it's easier to implement into games and won't tax as much off the WiiU's GPU because it's fixed. In terms of development, especially for those who've never used programable or compute shaders (which is really just Nintendo), it would be somewhat of an advantage.

z0m3le

Banned

Minimum requirements for Crysis 3 is DX10, (Wii U's GPU is 10.1+ equivalent)

I just wanted to point out that I am not sure there will really be that big of a difference anymore, I mean the grass is blurry, and there is a bit less foilage but if you were to just look at those two imagines as the average gamer, you likely wouldn't have a clue why one is better than the other especially if they were not side by side.

Last gen it obviously mattered a lot more, I mean for comparison, original crysis (2007) is there in the lower part of the screen, and it is clear to see the lacking graphics, diminishing returns is always happening.

ChsSwUE.png

Will another 10x jump in polygons see a great deal of noticeable change? I'm sure in this area tessellation will matter a great deal more, and even then all game consoles are capable of the effect.

Yes this is the modded version of GTA4, textures help a great deal and the car models are improved over what we saw last gen, to me this is the most impressive "jump" I've seen so far, along with skyrim mods that make even my friend's $2000 gaming PC crawl thanks to the grass. The reality is though that I don't think graphics will really drive this generation like last gen, maybe more detail like hitman has will be where big publishers go to hide but the truth is games are going to get to a point in this generation where we will say, yeah that is good enough or This looks better on the PS4 but I'll be happy to play it on the Wii U (if it looks like NFS for instance) because at some point, we will hit that point where all games have the ability to just look great and art style will win attention while realism will seem the norm.

Ok after this post I sort of feel like I've wasted a good deal of time speculating about Wii U's capabilities :p but that wasn't the point of the post and I think there will be a noticeable difference between PS4 and Wii U but it won't be dramatic like some posters would like to predict.

MDX

He's not saying the WiiU would do it better, he's saying it's easier to implement into games and won't tax as much off the WiiU's GPU because it's fixed. In terms of development, especially for those who've never used programable or compute shaders (which is really just Nintendo), it would be somewhat of an advantage.

hester1.jpg

MDX

With the final devkits (and hopefully helpful documentation) finally in the hands of developers, do you think we will see some an implementation/version of 'next gen' particle effects in cross-gen and second wave games?

Sony has managed to show off a big budget games like Killzone, Infamouse and Driveclub.
Games we can expect around the PS4 launch window.

What has Nintendo revealed for late 2013? And this is a machine revealed back in 2011. I think there is a good reason why Nintendo is not showing what they are working on besides "X". They cant offer the public games that look like current gen titles. They have to keep up with the new machines as long as possible to get a share of sales. These means understanding the machine so they can offer effects that will define next gen.

USC-fan

Banned
thats is just incorrect, just wishful thinking. No way what your are saying is possible.

Nintendo seriously fucked up with the dev kits and the SDK. Thats sorely on Nintendo and is nothing "excusable". Now with that basically being gone, lets hope this E3 we finally get a proper showing. What last year should have been...

Sony has managed to show off a big budget games like Killzone, Infamouse and Driveclub.

What has Nintendo revealed for late 2013? And this is a machine revealed back in 2011. I think there is a good reason why Nintendo is not showing what they are working on besides "X". They cant offer the public games that look like current gen titles. They have to keep up with the new machines as long as possible to get a share of sales. These means understanding the machine so they can offer effects that will define next gen.

Or they underestimated the transition to HD... I kinda prefer your explanation though! I wish they know what they're doing but the mess about WiiU reveal, WiiU launch, this bullshit of "launch window" with no dates for games till the very last minute, all this mystery about games for no reason make me honestly doubt it. Now prove me wrong Iwata.

thats is just incorrect, just wishful thinking. No way what your are saying is possible.
Put it this way, say it is true and Nintendo can save GPU cycles with fixed function hardware.... Sony's GPU is powerful enough that they don't need to save those cycles... so there is no advantage for Nintendo, in terms of graphical competition.

There is no way, no matter how much 'magic' anyone thinks Nintendo put in the Wii U, for Wii U games to hold a candle graphically.... Art and gameplay are a different story though.

Nerazar

I guess Super Mario (Universe) and Mario Kart should be pretty much confirmed for 2013. Wind Waker HD is... Plus Bayonetta 2 (it's not first party, though) and maybe even X (in Japan). And they announced that stuff way before E3, like Sony did.

Let's see what they've got in store.

Seriously? Are you sure you're not trolling?

Lighting and depth of field effects are big things that multiple companies are working on having efficient and good-looking algorithms for. It's a bit of a stretch to assume that Nintendo, despite showing little technical prowess in anything they've shown so far, have been quietly developing some exclusive next-level techniques that will have the Wii U punching an entire generation above it's weight.

tkscz

Seriously? Are you sure you're not trolling?

Lighting and depth of field effects are big things that multiple companies are working on having efficient and good-looking algorithms for. It's a bit of a stretch to assume that Nintendo, despite showing little technical prowess in anything they've shown so far, have been quietly developing some exclusive next-level techniques that will have the Wii U punching an entire generation above it's weight.

Nintendo's main branches? No, Again, they still don't know how to use programmable shaders (which is probably why the WiiU's GPU has so much fixed silicon in it). But hey, you never know when someone might pull a Rareware (Retro maybe). Remember, Conker's bad fur day shouldn't have been possible on the N64.

Have asked in other threads to no avail, since this is technical one maybe someone will know.

Does anyone have even a ballpark idea of how much it would cost to port a 360 multi platform game to WiiU ?.

On the current subject of WiiU vs PS4...

I don't think even the most hardened Nintendo fan can say there isn't a massive leap between what we saw on Wed night and what has currently been shown for WiiU.

The good news for WiiU is that not every PS4 game will be made by GG, Naughty Dog or SSM and cost north of $100 million.

Have asked in other threads to no avail, since this is technical one maybe someone will know.

Does anyone have even a ballpark idea of how much it would cost to port a 360 multi platform game to WiiU ?.

On the current subject of WiiU vs PS4...

I don't think even the most hardened Nintendo fan can say there isn't a massive leap between what we saw on Wed night and what has currently been shown for WiiU.

The good news for WiiU is that not every PS4 game will be made by GG, Naughty Dog or SSM and cost north of $100 million.

And also Wii U games will in time look better thanks to proper documentation, etc. Of course, PS4 games will also improve visually.

Top Bottom