• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official "DCHARLIE HAS A PS3 AND IS DOWNLOADING THINGS OMG BE JEALOUS" thread

DCharlie

Banned
:)

the messaging thing might get a little bit cluttered sometime in the future, but i'm digging the little notification bubble! :)

294495402_38b43b0375_b.jpg

DCharlie

Banned
there is no motorstorm demo yet

I attached a USB drive, it is NOT detected.

Jonnyram metioned that i needed to checkout Crossbay Tunnel "NOW" so i knew that meant something was going on.

Holy SHIT. Some tracks really got reworked, some didn't... this one got REALLY REALLY worked :

The original X360 track tunnel *render* :

rr28.jpg

and the PS3 take *dodgy cam* :
294514299_5a12f79a51_b.jpg

lots of new lighting (hard to tell, the red lights reflect on the damp floor and two white beam pulses of light run along the two black 'skirting lines' on each of the tunnel walls) and some new geometry.

Quite an eye opener, although this is all still cosmetic changes to the same track, it's interesting that some tracks seem more reworked than others, but hey... not complaining. The more changes the better! :)

Hmmm... perhaps i should set up a side by side comparison tomorrow ?

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:

the messaging thing might get a little bit cluttered sometime in the future, but i'm digging the little notification bubble! :)

294495402_38b43b0375_b.jpg

You have a friend that's named themselves Sixaxis?

:p Haha... I wonder if anyone has taken Ken Kutaragi, Howard Stringer, Phil Harrison et al. I'd think they'd be reserved tho... but... you'd think they'd reserve Sixaxis too!

BTW DCharlie, if you're still there, can you confirm FF wheel support for RR7 or not?

I think that's the only thing that'd make me pick up RR7 at this point.

DCharlie

Banned
did you play resistance online yet? how were the 40p games?

no, not yet - played 4 player on one screen though.
very nice indeed - no slowdown , no geometry cutbacks, just 4 player death fun!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
those tunnels were pretty much the ugliest part of rr6, so i guess it's nice that they've been retouched.

DCharlie

Banned
hanks for all the impressions champ! How is the unit running? Has the amount of heat exhaustion increased?

the unit is quite warm when you pick it up after a few hours usage, but nothing out of the ordinary and, of course, the unit is pretty much totally silent, so it's quite the technical little wizard! :)

I've had two "crashes" so far.

Once when running Youtube
and i had a futher issue where the machine couldn't recognise any of my games (reset fixed that one!)

those tunnels were pretty much the ugliest part of rr6, so i guess it's nice that they've been retouched.

the PS3 photo doesn't do it justice. It just looks so much better. Ah well.

Charlie said:
the unit is quite warm when you pick it up after a few hours usage, but nothing out of the ordinary and, of course, the unit is pretty much totally silent, so it's quite the technical little wizard! :)

awesome! Play more Resistance! Give more impressions!

Petrarca

Banned
DCharlie said:

Once when running Youtube
and i had a futher issue where the machine couldn't recognise any of my games (reset fixed that one!)

the PS3 photo doesn't do it justice. It just looks so much better. Ah well.

nice to hear the system is pretty stable and it doesn't get as hot

anyway back to DMC4 demo, did you have a chance to check if it's downloadable yet?

thanks

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My PS3 shipped as few hours ago, along with RR7, Resistance and Genji. Hopefully I'll have it on wednesday and will do a lot of videos :)

Blimblim said:
My PS3 shipped as few hours ago, along with RR7, Resistance and Genji. Hopefully I'll have it on wednesday and will do a lot of videos :)

you need to do something about the trolls on playsyde, tell em no one trolls xboxyde so they shouldn't troll playsyde

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Doom_Bringer said:
you need to do something about the trolls on playsyde, tell em no one trolls xboxyde so they shouldn't troll playsyde
I'll take a look. I have to admit playsyde is so dead most of the time that I don't look at the forums as much as I should. Hopefully once gamersyde.com is complete that will change.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jarosh said:
yeah, plus the shaders and the apparent lack of any sort of normal mapping, which i find really odd.
They use normal mapping on characters and enemies. But they don't seem to use it in a best way in general. Also, UE3 engine supports a lot more than just 'simple' normal mapping, and Gears uses that extra stuff. In Resistance's defense, from what I've seen, it doesn't shy a way from rendering a lot more enemies and general chaos on the screen during gameplay, all with huge draw distance, compared to Gears.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Marconelly said:
They use normal mapping on characters and enemies. But they don't seem to use it in a best way in general. Also, UE3 engine supports a lot more than just 'simple' normal mapping, and Gears uses that extra stuff. In Resistance's defense, from what I've seen, it doesn't shy a way from rendering a lot more enemies and general chaos on the screen during gameplay, all with huge draw distance, compared to Gears.
Well IMHO what I saw of Resistance totally remind me technically of Call of Duty 2/3 with more polygons. It looks good, but the lighting/shadowing is too "flat" for a lack of a better word. It's incredible how if Gears had been 1 month late Resistance would certainly have gotten much better scores in the graphics department. Because it does look good, that's for sure, but GoW raised the graphics bar so high it just can't compare.

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:

I've yet to see LOTS of characters on-screen in Resistance though...certainly there's nothing like what was shown at E3 2k5. :p It's an above average looking game for next-gen, and that's it.

Bebpo

Banned
Like Blimblim, mine shipped w/Resistance/Genji/RR7/Gundam. Will have it monday...can't wait!

Any word off 2ch of systems breaking down? That's my main concern as an importer atm ^^;

antiloop

jett said:
I've yet to see LOTS of characters on-screen in Resistance though...certainly there's nothing like what was shown at E3 2k5. :p It's an above average looking game for next-gen, and that's it.

Did you forget about 40 player mp? :)

It's not something your average next-gen game have done up til now. :p

jett

D-Member
antiloop said:
Did you forget about 40 player mp? :)

It's not something your average next-gen game have done up til now. :p

I want to see a screenshot of all 40 players together so bad, but there's none out there. :p

f@luS

More than a member.
Blimblim said:
Well IMHO what I saw of Resistance totally remind me technically of Call of Duty 2/3 with more polygons. It looks good, but the lighting/shadowing is too "flat" for a lack of a better word. It's incredible how if Gears had been 1 month late Resistance would certainly have gotten much better scores in the graphics department. Because it does look good, that's for sure, but GoW raised the graphics bar so high it just can't compare.

at least resistance seems to have some AA and Fsaa :p

( Si seulement gow avait ca il aurait ete "parfait" :x )

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
About your usb drive, apparently you need a specific directory structure like "video", "music" etc. for it to pick up the files on that. If you can be arsed. Hopefully an update will just have the OS scan drives for any files, not just with a specific directory structure.

Blimblim said:
I'll take a look. I have to admit playsyde is so dead most of the time that I don't look at the forums as much as I should. Hopefully once gamersyde.com is complete that will change.

that's alright I will start viral marketing your site on various forums cause it rocks. Look forward to a horde of Psyborgs invading your awesome site

Great job DCharlie!

I like R:FoM very much. If launch game can look this good, future games on PS3 might kick some serious ass assuming developers are willing to put some effort and it's not EA.

DCharlie

Banned
please keep Gears out of this if possible!

Anyways , posted this elsewhere on request , so adding for you gents:
As requested in another thread, very early impressions of Gundam for the PS3.

What can i say? The good news is this game supports English text and English voice acting (as well as Japanese of course) , the bad news? well, the game really is pretty ropey to say the least. We already knew this game wasn't shapping up too well from E3 and TGS earlier in the year, but i did hold out hope that Namco/Bandai could pull something out of the bag. Unfortunately , that's not happened....

The first thing to strike you about the game is the godawful presentation. We are talking ZX Spectrum levels of white text on plain black backgrounds here. Things like the trademark music, trademark sound effects (all held by Bandai) could have been used, but for some absolutely amazing reason i've yet to hear anything familiar :/

you can chose to play as the E.F.F or ZEON, and the mission starts.
Both early missions for both sides are incredibly cliche (the training mission interupted by an actual attack).

Whilst the models in the game are of a good standard and have a mature look rather than the bright coloured mechs of the anime series, however, once the game starts moving it all falls to bits : sub-30fps frame rates, bad collissions , terrible explosions, strange physics on the mechs and buildings following hits...

Gameplay is the usual "kill their lot!" fodder so far - although it is early days. Whether the later stages get to be seen though is looking less and less likely - the game play is also another stick in the spokes of this game. Clunky controls and slow ponderous combat (yes, i know... it's a gundam game, but this is really poor), and an inability to see where you are shooting (beyond the first person targetting system).

So - to sum up so far : Terrible graphics, weak sound, limited combat, poor presentation, bad frame rate, wonky physics, boring game structure, and very simplistic game play.

I will revist the game tomorrow -it's 3 a.m. Sunday here - i haven't been to sleep since 9a.m. thursday morning! Will update when i can but at this point in time with people possibly with their fingers over the "ADD TO CART" button i'd suggest you think long and hard about what might be , for me, one of the worst games i've played in many many months. It might get better, but this game needs to be tapdancing on water whilst magically producing golden eggs in the next few levels for that to happen and i simply don't see it turning this around. Buyers beware.

Also, played Sega Golf... hmm... need more time with this one, i actually had an average time , which was way better than i expected. It's certainly not something people should be considering picking up, but anyways, some pictures....

294602200_ee27f61186_b.jpg

294602761_f961617023_b.jpg

294603563_a188316c7d_b.jpg

294604012_6dc83ac059_b.jpg

294601567_4d058a1a5b_b.jpg

... i'm not sure if these frog pictures are real, or i'm just tripping from lack of sleep, so i'll call it a night. :)

DCharlie

Banned
Sorry about that.
Now go to bed!

he he - no worries man, i've already been through the whole Gears thing in my own head (vs. Resistance + it's effect) , and i haven't seen anything of the game yet... it's just a recipe for thread destruction!

Right, zzzz time.

Bebpo said:
Wait, who said there would be a DMC4 demo in the first place? I must have missed this news...

There never was, although they have demo kiosks of it in Japan. So hopefully that means it won't be long before it up for download.

Top Bottom