• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cevat Yerli details Warface and explains why Crysis3 WiiU got cancelled

plufim

cant nintendo just get a publishing deal with EA and Crytek? I mean the version exists already ? maybe a eshop only release?

That requires EA wanting to go into a deal. I guess this all comes down to how bad the relationship is.

Van Owen

Banned
It was known for sometime that Crytek had a team working on a game for the Wii U. They probably figured common sense would prevail and a finished version would see the light of day instead of publisher balking in the end.

It was? Only thing I remember was them saying they had the engine running.

FyreWulff

stupid question. could nintendo publish crysis3 directly from crytek?

It depends on their contract with EA for publishing. It sounds like their agreement is EA controls where it's published everywhere, so if EA isn't playing ball then Nintendo can't do anything about it.

antonz

It was? Only thing I remember was them saying they had the engine running.

It was stated at one point that Crytek UK was at work on a Wii U game.

Most of us assumed it was Homeland 2 and it may very well still be but Crytek did state Wii U operations was being handled by the UK guys so they would be porting crysis 3 too.

Crysis 3 ended up cancelled a few months before release of the Wii U. I know the mods are downplaying anything happening between Nintendo and EA but its pretty obvious there is more going on then simple spec disagreements.

plufim

This is one of those things I feel there could be an awesome story behind if a we had a better games press and some insider tipsters. There's clearly something going on here.

B.O.O.M

I'm assuming by "launching" he means actually putting a team on the port, cause there's no way they spent money porting the entire game to Wii U when EA wasnt fully committed.

Yep pretty much this.

Is NFS MW out on Wii U yet? Wonder how it will do sales wise. If it does well EA might push more projects

plufim

Honestly, I wonder if the only reason MW wasn't cancelled is because Criterion have basically saved NFS, and EA don't want to piss them off.

antonz

This is one of those things I feel there could be an awesome story behind if a we had a better games press and some insider tipsters. There's clearly something going on here.

Industry is way too incestuous for that. Most of these "journalists" are just looking for entry into the studios as Community and PR people etc so the play the fluffer role.

netBuff

Yep pretty much this.

Is NFS MW out on Wii U yet? Wonder how it will do sales wise. If it does well EA might push more projects

NFS: MW hasn't been released for Wii U yet. It's just PR claiming the Wii U version to look the best, so far.

B.O.O.M

WiiU sales are the reason I think, both hardware and software. I really doubt there's a bigger story here to it other than that

NFS: MW hasn't been released for Wii U yet. It's just PR claiming the Wii U version to look the best, so far.

Really? So why are people saying it's the best version? A DF analysis of a demo or something?

Seriously fuck EA, I hope orbango completely flop (worse than vita level) just so they come crawling back to Nintendo and then I hope Nintendo tell them to go fuck themselves with a very big stick

There's clearly something going on here.
Maybe, but it could also just be a simple cost/return issue. If EA believed it would be more expensive to optimize, certify, market, and manufacture the Wii U version than what they would get back from sales then it makes sense for them to drop it. It's not like they're supporting other failing platforms. Take a look at their output for the NDS, PSP, and Vita. They've chosen to focus on the 360/PS3/PC where most of their audience is.

netBuff

Seriously fuck EA, I hope orbango completely flop (worse than vita level) just so they come crawling back to Nintendo and then I hope Nintendo tell them to go fuck themselves with a very big stick

This is a completely ridiculous statement. And I don't think the Wii U would be the system anyone were to be "crawling back to", with it flopping pretty hard so far.

plufim

Industry is way too incestuous for that. Most of these "journalists" are just looking for entry into the studios as Community and PR people etc so the play the fluffer role.

There are a few journalists who don't give a fuck. Look at anyone who hasn't let the Aliens:CM debacle drop off the radar, clearly they don't mind if it gets them blacklisted. EA is bigger than SEGA/Gearbox, sure, but they aren't exactly small-time either.

The majority of the press just want a cushy PR job, sure, but not all of them.

Edit:
WiiU sales are the reason I think, both hardware and software. I really doubt there's a bigger story here to it other than that
Again, don't forget that EA clearly dialled back support for the WiiU almost 6 months before launch, showing basically nothing for it at E3 2012 after promising the world at E3 2011 - this isn't about sales, there's more to it. Perhaps they saw the tech in the WiiU and bailed out? Perhaps they wanted in on the online system (as rumoured) and were rejected, leaving them pissed off? Heck, perhaps Nintendo are the bad guys here and did something to piss EA off big-time (say Nintendo US branch making promises that Nintendo JP forced them to go back on). No idea, but there's something more here.

Just like Bioshock Vita - that isn't being made not because the Vita is selling poorly, it's not being made because Sony haven't paid for it yet, despite asking Ken Levine to say he was doing so nearly 2 years ago.

PetrCobra

If this was really a result of Nintendo declining to have Origin on their console, then EA is just acting like a little brat who didn't get the candy he wanted. Business-wise, it doesn't make sense at all. One generation is slowly phasing out and they cannot expect the next one to replace it in terms of profitability right away. The Wii U is no Dreamcast, either. I just can't believe EA think they can afford to ignore the console.

serplux

If this was really a result of Nintendo declining to have Origin on their console, then EA is just acting like a little brat who didn't get the candy he wanted. Business-wise, it doesn't make sense at all. One generation is slowly phasing out and they cannot expect the next one to replace it in terms of profitability right away. The Wii U is no Dreamcast, either. I just can't believe EA think they can afford to ignore the console.

The Need for Speed developers have said all of their titles will arrive on the Wii U same day as the others, so there's that.

Hey, if this leads to Nintendo making their own sports series I'm fine with that.

Nintendo doing their own thing, while the reason that they struggle for third party support, is probably the reason they'll also still be around in a decade.

Great statement. It's one of the reasons I really like Nintendo as a company. They are very methodical and long-term. Yamauchi-ninja level!

The change in EA support happened long before the Wii U was even released.

Could this just be a result of C3 possibly going over budget on the other three platforms? The 66m figure that came out yesterday was a staggering number to many people. So i'm not sure that it has anything to do with EA having something against Nintendo. After all, they're releasing Most Wanted on the Wii U. And that's from a much bigger franchise than Crysis.

majik13

Yeh and earlier in the article he says 25fps is acceptable for singleplayer. Dat cinematic feel. This shit needs to stop.

well 25fps would be just fine, if the game had good accurate motion blur. I am assuming some versions of the game support some motion blur? I havent played SP though. Just the beta.

It would feel very much cinematic. Probably not great for gameplay though.

-MB-

see CliffyB? THIS is why EA is hated amongst gamers.
You can bet amongst Nintendo gamers it's even worse, I know I would celebrate the day that company finally went bankrupt, oudl be the best thing to happen for gaming at this point.
Shame it's a pipedream, these types of disgusting business practises seem to flourish always.

PetrCobra

The Need for Speed developers have said all of their titles will arrive on the Wii U same day as the others, so there's that.

Hey, if this leads to Nintendo making their own sports series I'm fine with that.

Didn't see them saying that, source?

Also, I would rather see Ninty staying at their arcade/quirky sports, with EA and possibly other 3rd parties taking care of the "serious" (haha) sports genre.

That way, Nintendo can focus on other things, possibly acquiring more western developers to make them some more amazing exclusives.

Frodo

This EA/Nintendo thing is getting Better by the day. So wish someone would spill the beans to let us know what really happened.

It is just plain weird that the game was close to be launched and had to die.

Really unprecedented support. EA wasn't lying when they said that.

Sid

This EA/Nintendo thing is getting Better by the day. So wish someone would spill the beans to let us know what really happened.

It is just plain weird that the game was close to be launched and had to die.

Really unprecedented support. EA wasn't lying when they said that.
Yup,it's a lot like Capcom and Vita.

MrKaepora

EA being EA once again, I guess.

In the past 6 or 7 years, if you are a Nintendo hardware owner, I suspect you are pretty used to these situations. The clusterfuck that was the NBA Jam launch, the lack of online multiplayer in Wii titles, the bad ports, the cancelling of games...the usual. When they announced unprecedent partnership with Nintendo at E3 I had my doubts, this just proves my doubts.

Opiate

We don't really have any way to know if there is actually bad trade going on between Nintendo and EA right now. It's possible. Sure. Maybe.

But even without any imagined shenanigans going on in the back room, the Wii U is selling very poorly and it is entirely plausible that games will get canceled for that reason alone. You don't need to conjure nefarious motives to explain the recent swathe of cancellations and delays for the system.

PetrCobra

But when someone asked if there was a Crysis 3 Wii U, a guy said "not a fat chance".
How can you cancel a project that didn't exist?

That was probably already after it was fairly obvious that there is no interest for the Wii U version from the publisher side.

If that's true though, the unprecedented support was cut even before it was announced (or did Ricitello say it in 2011? Can't find the news now.)

Coolwhip

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo couldn't have just whipped out their wallet to publish it.

On the Nintendo vs EA conspicary: isn't it possible that MS and Sony saw Riccitiello's appearance and called him up asking him to make a choice between them and Nintendo? *eerie sound effect*

JDSN

Banned
You guys might want to stop commenting on the rumor that some Origin-related shenanigans went down at some point as if it is a fact, its most likely close to the thruth but we dont know for sure. Still, EA has show a lot of ill will towards the console and part of it is deserved, and no, the old ass port for the game I can buy for a third of the prince anywhere dont count.

serplux

Didn't see them saying that, source?

Also, I would rather see Ninty staying at their arcade/quirky sports, with EA and possibly other 3rd parties taking care of the "serious" (haha) sports genre.

That way, Nintendo can focus on other things, possibly acquiring more western developers to make them some more amazing exclusives.

They love the hardware too!

I do feel as though Nintendo should make a more western oriented series from scratch; I hope whatever Retro's doing is just that.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah, that's why EA killed the port because the game is 'not that great'

It's not what I said.
I wonder how the Wii U version would have performed graphically.
I beg to say terribly, considering the tons of grass of the game. I don't know how would have solve this problem, but they aren't wizards. They have to choice to pared back a bunch of import details or to give the prize of the 720p but with even worse performance of ps3 in the same area. imho.

Top Bottom