• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade on the US PS3 launch

Snaku

Banned
:lol Nice comic, and it's pretty true. Gears > PS3 launch line-up.

Now if these people were waiting in line for Wii/Zelda, it'd be forgivable. ;)

VALIS

Oh my, some of you really need to pull the stick out of your ass. It's a joke. Like the one they made when they coined the term "moneyhats" in taking shots at MS! Remember that? Hat made of money! That was funny. This is, well, it's not hilarious, but it's worth a chuckle at least. Wah wah boo hoo OMG they're biased M$ payz them off the internet hates Sony wah! Dumbest week in GAF history.

their points about the launch titles are valid. i mean, if you have a 360 there really isn't much there for you that you didn't already play most of.

if you don't have a 360, it's a pretty solid launch, but Tycho does, so his comment holds. you've got one great exclusive, one okay one, and then some trashy stuff, or stuff like Ridge Racer 7 which is 75% content that 360 owners already played. that doesn't make it (or Full Auto 2) a bad game, it just makes them games people are unlikely to pay full price for.

the rest is multiplatform games, most of which were already released on the 360. from a multiplatform gamer point of view, the launch is pretty terrible.

and yes, i know the same could be said of the 360 launch, but just because the launch software on the 360 was bad, doesn't stop the launch line up here being bad too.

Mato

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm blown away that someone would have a hard time "getting" this cartoon.

And personally, neither the 360 on launch or the PS3 on launch appear to be an item that is worth camping out for - or pre-ordering for that matter. For me at least. Nothing is compelling enough to own either on launch day.

While you were blown away to some place else, I posted mentioning that I noticed the Xbox, albeit in a delayed fashion. You can't get the strip unless you notice the Xbox.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mato said:
While you were blown away to some place else, I posted mentioning that I noticed the Xbox, albeit in a delayed fashion. You can't get the strip unless you notice the Xbox.

I understand not getting it if you didn't notice the Xbox.

While the XBox is rather integral, you can still get the joke without it, which essentially goes : Only a complete moron would stand out in the freezing rain for a launch PS3.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mato said:

This is somewhat poetic to me. The statement that people are going through hell to get a PS3 obviously have either not paid attention to Xbox 360, or now they are just noticing it after a full year and recognizing how great a system it is. This PA article really sums up my feelings. Last night, playing Gears with voice-chat, feeling the chainsaw rumble in my hands, sending out invites to keep the room filled (sorry to those who couldn't get in), watching the game in 1080i, and thinking about playing Viva Pinata with my daughter, and Rainbow Six Vegas with even more folks next week, it was no wonder that the only thing PS3 that was discussed is whether or not one of the guys playing with us was going to sell his PS3 on Ebay.

Mato

Pureauthor said:
While the XBox is rather integral, you can still get the joke without it, which essentially goes : Only a complete moron would stand out in the freezing rain for a launch PS3.

Well I didn't. Get over it. Denial isn't gonna get you anywhere.

Dr_Cogent said:
And personally, neither the 360 on launch or the PS3 on launch appear to be an item that is worth camping out for - or pre-ordering for that matter. For me at least. Nothing is compelling enough to own either on launch day.

Amen to that.

I can not comprehend why people are camping out for an overpriced PS3, with some games that are "decent". If they waited until the games they actually WANTED were out, the PS3 would probably be cheaper anyways, or at the very least, they wouldn't have to camp out to get one.

Look at 360... it wasn't worth getting at launch either. I know people who did, and I think they are nuts. For myself, I still don't have one. The day Halo3 is released, Im going into Future Shop and saying "Gimme that 360, that HDTV, GoW, Halo3, and Bioshock", and I will get it for cheaper than the people who camped out for it. Cheaper by a COUNTRY MILE.

I mean, hell, I still have almost 100 PS2/Xbox/GC/PC games that I haven't even got around to playing yet.... like I'm sure most of you do to :D

Oracle Dragon said:
I mean, hell, I still have almost 100 PS2/Xbox/GC/PC games that I haven't even got around to playing yet.... like I'm sure most of you do to :D

Unlike some I did the smart thing and I sold them all. :)
If a game isn't compelling enough to play as soon as you buy it I don't see it being anymore interesting six months down the line. Of course it also helps that I only buy for one system now.

Vieo

I woke up this morning and as soon as I turned on my TV, the news was showing a clip of a massive crowd of people running to be the first inside of a wal-mart. In the stampede, you see this guy run right into a pole and hit his head. You can actually hear the sound of the head slamming into the pole over the entire noise of the crowd. I imagine it will be making rounds on youtube for quite a while. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:

Agreed on the camping out part. I tell you what, I waited just about 10-15min to pre-order the PS3, and that was on a bright sunday at about 9:30. If they had not had any available or if I hadn't been able to pre-order then I'd be waiting until I could walk in to a store to get one. I don't have the patience or interest to stand in a line for hours on end, let alone camp overnight for ANY system... f'ck that.

VALIS

20051202l.jpg

20060109h.jpg

I'm sure I could find a dozen in the last year. ZOMG bias.

aoi tsuki

People camped out to get the latest and greatest piece of gaming hardware. To be the one of the elite few to say "yeah, i've got that". To sell it on eBay. Whatever. It's the same phenomenon we've seen for the past few console launches. This isn't anything new.

SuperPac

aoi tsuki said:
People camped out to get the latest and greatest piece of gaming hardware. To be the one of the elite few to say "yeah, i've got that". To sell it on eBay. Whatever. It's the same phenomenon we've seen for the past few console launches. This isn't anything new.

Significantly more people were waiting to ebay their systems than keep to be one of the "I've got one" elite, though. That's what's truly sickening about this launch.

DarienA

I just took a quick look through ebay completed listings and saw alot of ended early auctions... wonder what that was all about.

Man at the people crying bias. Far out. The newspost is filled with such wild ideas! Sony has done an underwhelming job of launching their system (indeed, much as they have done before) and it is perhaps wiser to avoid the painful and potentially deadly process of camping out when one should just be able to buy one in plentiful supply by the time the desirable second-wave games release! Truly shocking conclusions.

Seriously, what kind of person doesn't think it's worth making fun of Sony here? I handed out plenty of shit for the bungled X360 launch last year and I don't see any reason not to spread it around now.

VALIS said:

I was thinking of this one:

20060120l.jpg

these guys have already made it clear (in an interview) that their choices for next gen are 360 and wii. they, just like most other "gamers", hate sony. don't get all worked up about it. they're just a couple of nerds with a comic that isn't funny.

mistuhcahlos said:
these guys have already made it clear (in an interview) that their choices for next gen are 360 and wii. they, just like most other "gamers", hate sony. don't get all worked up about it. they're just a couple of nerds with a comic that isn't funny.

So you're not a gamer if you hate Sony? News to me.
Oh and people throwing around terms like "nerds, geeks, etc" over the internet on a videogame message board amuse me to no end.

sorry i've always thought of gamers as nerds, that's never going to change. i come to this message board cause it's entertaining

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
VALIS said:
Yeah, similarly, I'm off to use one sports team's stats from 5 years ago vs. other teams' current stats to determine that team's likelihood to get to the playoffs this year.

They're comparing 360's lineup NOW to PS3's lineup NOW, people.

DarienA

mistuhcahlos said:
sorry i've always thought of gamers as nerds, that's never going to change. i come to this message board cause it's entertaining

Why would a non-gamer come to a gaming message board?

DarienA

mistuhcahlos said:
who cares? i'm just some guy you'll never meet who will post from time to time.

In the gamers/nerds/geeks vs. guy who comes to watch the gamers/nerds/geeks competition I think I've figured out who's more pitiful.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Why sign up at all then? You know you can lurk without an account. You obviously found some value in signing up and being able to post and thus participate in the geekdom.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
aoi tsuki said:

I checked out a few lines last night...a Futureshop and a Best Buy. Altogether, there were 16 waiting at the BB (they had a sign saying they only had 16 PS3s) and another 8 at the FS (also had a sign saying how many units they had).

Out of both lines, in total, there was ONE person there to get it to play. Everyone else was ebaying.

This is a totally new phenomenon. And I don't think it's a good one. No one had any intention of buying any games. Even the guy who was buying it to play it wanted it for PS2 BC stuff now and MGS4 next year.

Baryn

Banned
Variable said:
Why bother getting a PS3, when there is Xbox 360 which is cheaper with better software out right now. That is what the comic is getting at.
No. It is bashing Sony for forcing PS3-buyers to form long lines for days in the cold. As though this were the Soviet Union!

mistuhcahlos said:
Ah, a closet-geek.

Fatghost said:
I checked out a few lines last night...a Futureshop and a Best Buy. Altogether, there were 16 waiting at the BB (they had a sign saying they only had 16 PS3s) and another 8 at the FS (also had a sign saying how many units they had).

Out of both lines, in total, there was ONE person there to get it to play. Everyone else was ebaying.

This is a totally new phenomenon. And I don't think it's a good one. No one had any intention of buying any games. Even the guy who was buying it to play it wanted it for PS2 BC stuff now and MGS4 next year.
that's so stupid. why buy a system for a game that isn't out yet?

if he was buying at least one ps3 game, that'd be different... but he wasn't?

you wouldn't have to queue up, you wouldn't miss out on any games you wanted to play...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
If the market wasn't there, no one would buy them. Obviously there are idiots out there who will plunk down 1000 bucks or more for something that only costs $600. I like to call those people dumb.

I fear for the November NPD. I really do.

Like, half the forum is going to vanish in a humongous disaster of epic proportions or something like that.

Fatghost said:

It's new because people saw how much 360's went for on eBay. So you've got the PS3 launch, and its even in a more limited supply and you know there's going to be lots of people willing to drop alot of money to get one. So why not pretty much? There were people in lines offering people 1k just for their spot in line.

Nintendo managed to avoid this for the most part because of how much supply they do have. But even its still going for 500-600 in some places.

GhaleonEB

DenogginizerOS said:
This is somewhat poetic to me. The statement that people are going through hell to get a PS3 obviously have either not paid attention to Xbox 360, or now they are just noticing it after a full year and recognizing how great a system it is. This PA article really sums up my feelings. Last night, playing Gears with voice-chat, feeling the chainsaw rumble in my hands, sending out invites to keep the room filled (sorry to those who couldn't get in), watching the game in 1080i, and thinking about playing Viva Pinata with my daughter, and Rainbow Six Vegas with even more folks next week, it was no wonder that the only thing PS3 that was discussed is whether or not one of the guys playing with us was going to sell his PS3 on Ebay.
well said.

SolidSnakex said:
It's new because people saw how much 360's went for on eBay. So you've got the PS3 launch, and its even in a more limited supply and you know there's going to be lots of people willing to drop alot of money to get one. So why not pretty much? There were people in lines offering people 1k just for their spot in line.

Nintendo managed to avoid this for the most part because of how much supply they do have. But even its still going for 500-600 in some places.
yeah. the 360's ebaying was well publisicised which is a big part of the problem.

i hope ebay is flooded with ps3s, they don't sell for much and we don't end up here again in five years time.

it really isn't good for anyone imho.

explodet

Pureauthor said:
I fear for the November NPD. I really do.

Like, half the forum is going to vanish in a humongous disaster of epic proportions or something like that.
You should watch the trailer, if you haven't already. :D

plagiarize said:
yeah. the 360's ebaying was well publisicised which is a big part of the problem.

i hope ebay is flooded with ps3s, they don't sell for much and we don't end up here again in five years time.

it really isn't good for anyone imho.

Good for the people that are doing it, terrible that gamers who really wanted it are having to shell out over a thousand to get their hands on it because they couldn't get in line for some reason or another.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
SolidSnakex said:

I bet all those third parties that delayed their software to next year are feeling pretty happy about their decision.

And I have to wonder if the demand is really all that high. I mean, I'm a pretty dedicated gamer, I buy every system (hell I buy multiples so I have one at my place and one at the gf's place), I spend around 5K a year on games and hardware, I'm in my later 20s, I have my own business so I have the time and the coin to support this habit...

And I wouldn't pay 1000+ for a PS3 on ebay. I know some auctions have closed for 2500+...but how many people are out there? Enough to buy the majority of these PS3s?

I think it will be interesting to watch.

Fatghost said:
I bet all those third parties that delayed their software to next year are feeling pretty happy about their decision.

And I have to wonder if the demand is really all that high. I mean, I'm a pretty dedicated gamer, I buy every system (hell I buy multiples so I have one at my place and one at the gf's place), I spend around 5K a year on games and hardware, I'm in my later 20s, I have my own business so I have the time and the coin to support this habit...

And I wouldn't pay 1000+ for a PS3 on ebay. I know some auctions have closed for 2500+...but how many people are out there? Enough to buy the majority of these PS3s?

I think it will be interesting to watch.

If people are willing to throw out 2k i'd say the demand is pretty high. Sony got alot of free advertisement yesterday from major news channels basically doing on hour updates of how hard it is to get one while showing the people that have been lined up to get oen for days. It basically sends a message of how big the product is without Sony really having to do anything on the marketing side.

THe criticism of the launch line-up-- which I'd say is accurate-- sounds
like it could equally apply to the 360 launch. Rank and file games,
games that are on other platforms already (and in some cases better) and one really solid FPS.

I'm not saying that that's the case today, but it's an odd parallel.

Top Bottom