• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers are the Scum of the Earth and Why Best Buy Sucks

Belfast

Want to know why?

Nearly 2 days of waiting in line at Best Buy, 3 hours of total sleep at best, and I come home with no PS3, not even a 20gig, which after thinking about it, I would've duly accepted.

I'm tired, need a shower, it was freezing cold, it rained very hard the first night, and the elements were against us the whole time. So why bash scalpers (if I hadn't made it clear in past threads)?

Well, roughly 75% of the people who got one (the cut off was 34 people, I was 39) openly boasted of selling it on eBay. They had no interest in really playing with it, just the greed and dollar signs in their eyes. Some people sold their spots in line. A pair went for 700 each, another for 750, and one fairly close to the front went for a whopping $1000.

Once vouchers were passed out this morning, one person sold theirs to a guy who just walked up and offered $1600. This guy apparently already had 3-4 systems from other places and all were going up on eBay, including the one the voucher would allow him to get. This guy did NOT stand in line for 2 days like most of us.

Not to mention that when the remaining hopeful of us realized that there was a slim chance someone's payment would be declined or that they would have more than they said, some of us could get bumped up to receiving a system. Of course, this didn't happen at all.

I feel even worse for two of the people beyond me. One was this really cool Korean girl who was apparently out there to get the PS3 as a surprise Xmas gift for her boyfriend. In fact, she was probably the only person in line who was even giving it as a gift to someone else (the rest of us who were keeping it were buying it for our personal use). She braved the elements and got NO sleep for the entire time she was there and she doesn't even have a present to her boyfriend to show for it. If it weren't for the scalpers in line, we'd both have gotten one for sure. Victimless crime? I think not.

Then there was another guy who got dicked over by Gamestop/EB pre-orders. He (and several other people past the cut-off point) had apparently tried to come earlier or ask about the line-up policy and were told they couldn't line up more than 24 hours before the units would go on sale. Lo and behold, people lined up 48+ hours beforehand and were not told to leave. Thanks a lot Best Buy for having a consistent policy that dicks people over! Oh, and did I mention that he already had Resistance? Now he won't have anything to play it on for quite some time.

Morever, various BB employees fed us SOOO much bullshit over the 2 days that there was no way to believe that any one thing that came out of their mouths was true. One employee, especially, would walk by and say that they only had 28 and then snicker with a smug grin on his face. Shit, Best Buy, is this any way to let your employees treat your customers? They would NEVER give us a straight answer as to how many they would be getting until near the end, but it would've been nice so that those of us who, for sure, were not going to get one, could leave and go home. Instead, they jerked us around until the actual launch.

~2 days is an exorbitant amount of time for anybody to wait in a line and scalpers made it hard for the people who sacrificed work, class, tests, and doctor's appointments to get a PS3, but who instead walked away empty handed. We aren't talking about Johnny-Come-Latelys here, but people who were there a majority of the time.

The whole idea of the scalper makes me cringe now, if it hadn't before. Greed over gaming is the shittiest new trend to hit the community in recent years and it really is unfair to a lot of people who simply wanted to enjoy what the PS3 has to offer. I saved up the money from paychecks to buy one, so I can't simply go out and blow $2000+ on some lame eBay auction. Sure, I want one quite bad, but I wouldn't pay that on principle.

It's even worse when they like to flaunt it in your face as if they were the most clever person in the entire world. And they don't make the wait any more entertaining by telling you repeatedly how "mad cash" they're going to earn on eBay. Hey scalpers, quit trying to be the middlemen that nobody wants and stop dicking people over for your own personal gain.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Best Buy sucks? No surprise there.... sorry about how things worked out for you.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, here to file my complaint on Target now. After getting owned over by Gamestop and their fiasco, I was hoping to get one from Target. Now they said they wouldnt allow any lines until 5pm last night when I asked them about it the day before. But apparently people lined up anyway overnight and they just let them stay as other stores were cool and corporate changed their ****ing minds. I filed a formal complaint and all but.. ****. :/ I harassed management there like 3-4 times before I was somewhat content.

What the hell do you want Best Buy to do about it? Find 5 more PS3s so they can sell them to every person in front of you that didnt get one and then you? Maybe its your fault for being an idiot and camping when there were already more people in line than most Best Buys were supposed to get PS3s.

SuperPac

Well, let's just hope that the ebay prices crash and the payday isn't as big as the scalpers hoped. Then maybe next time they won't bother.

Jeff-DSA said:
Blame Sony.

This console shouldn't be launching right now. There's not nearly enough to go around.

Too true. Should've been delayed to March in the US, too.

Effulgence said:
What the hell do you want Best Buy to do about it? Find 5 more PS3s so they can sell them to every person in front of you that didnt get one and then you? Maybe its your fault for being an idiot and camping when there were already more people in line than most Best Buys were supposed to get PS3s.

Did you actually read what he posted?

Joe Molotov

Jeff-DSA said:
Blame Sony.

This console shouldn't be launching right now. There's not nearly enough to go around.

Just pretend like it didn't, and wait until Sony ships decent numbers. There's really no reason why anyone has to have a PS3 right now.

bachikarn

I've seen from some of your posts that you got to UF or at least live in Gainesville. Was the Best Buy you went to on Archer?

tHoMNZ

god that sucks dude.
Personally i don't understand why people would spend thousands of dollars for something with pretty much 0 killer apps atm.

after watching the coverage tonight it was hilarious to see the comments about the ps3, how its some sort of super computer. Really, its not. Most console gamers are clueless

It's unfortunate that this is going to happen to thousands of people before Xmas. So many are going to wait for a system that they wont get(scalpers, screw-overs, etc.)

bill0527

Retailers need better strategies to deal with these launch fiascos.

There's no reason that people should stand out in the cold/wind/rain/snow for days and come away empty handed.

Best Buy is the worst because they won't tell people in the line just exactly how many systems they're got to sell. At least my store doesn't. I cannot think of any logical reason as to why this information should be treated like a matter of national security.

I'm all for a lottery system when it comes to launch units. At least gamers would then have a chance. At first glance, a lottery system may not seem fair, but do you think the way its set up now, seems fair?

edit: what i mean by 'fair' is that they system, as its set up now does not get these systems in the hands of gamers. The deck is heavily stacked in favor of the scalper. Some type of system needs to be set up so that more of these launch systems get into the hands of actual gamers.

Gio_CoD

Banned
You know what the latest trend in gaming that I hate is? Obnoxious kids acting as if they have some sort of "right" to own a system just because they want to play it.

For one thing, there's nothing immoral about making money. You might feel like you're some sort of saint because you want to play the PS3 rather than profit off of it, but I am struggling to see how that makes you any better than them. When I think about truly unfair things in life, I tend to think about Somalian warlords stealing red cross supplies and selling them back to the people that need them the most. Suburban teenagers not getting a Playstation 3 rings up pretty low on my pity list.

If you really want a PS3, start calling stores and try to get an idea of their general stock delivery dates. Show up at the right store at the right time, and you'll get one.

Seth C

If you want a PS3 right now, given its software lineup, bad enough to wait in a line for 2 days in the rain...YOU are the problem. YOU are the person creating the hysteria that creates the scalpers. If people like you didn't want this thing with a desire that defies all rational thinking then there would be no market for the scalpers to sell to.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
you know, it'd have been nice if Sony offered pre-orders directly to memeber of their G.A.P. and Underground. Sure, some of those would still end up on ebay, but it'd ensure a lot more people actually anticipating the console would get a legit crack at it.

Best Buy employees treated you bad? I'd say it's the biggest injustice in the world. Really, I cannot think of many predicaments in today's world more difficult. (Seriously, I mean, you're camping for a videogame system...?)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It absolutely amazes me why anybody, ANYBODY besides people looking to make a quick buck, would camp out in the elements for over a day or more to pay over $600+ for a goddamned toy. Mind boggling.

If you (and I mean "you" in general, not "you" as in Belfast) are camping out, you're either a) well informed that you have very little shot at a system (and thus, well informed about a SHITTY launch line up) or b) a scalper. It is that truly important to own one right off the bat to waste a day or more outside of some storefront? Are there not enough games currently out to play right now to tide you over till next year when supply is there and you can freely walk up and buy one at your leisure? Maybe I'm just getting older...

I dunno, I don't get it. I mean you no offense Bel, hope you know that. That sucks what happened to you, and you should probably file a compliant against Best Buy for their general treatment of potential customers out of principal. I hope you manage to pick one up somehow anyways bro.

I preordered, with no line. If there was a line, **** that.

bengraven

Seth C said:
If you want a PS3 right now, given its software lineup, bad enough to wait in a line for 2 days in the rain...YOU are the problem. YOU are the person creating the hysteria that creates the scalpers. If people like you didn't want this thing with a desire that defies all rational thinking then there would be no market for the scalpers to sell to.

You're kidding me? You're saying that because someone truly loves games enough to buy one, they SHOULD be punished? That's ridiculous.

lexi

Banned
I can sympathize with waiting in line for nearly 2 days and not having anything to show for it, but... It's not like you're lining up for your weekly rations.

The real crooks here are Sony and the hysteria induced by their limited supply.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is why I have SOME hope of getting a Wii. The interest from scalpers seems so much lower. From the greater number of units available at launch to the much lower MSRP, they probably wouldn'tfetch anything near what people are getting for their PS3s.

Hopefully, fewer scalpers = chance of getting one.

SyNapSe

Seth C said:

I feel bad for Belfast, as I'm sure that was a crappy experience. That said, I think what you posted pretty much sums it up. The majority of the scalpers apparently waited in line just as long except for the guy who paid $1600 for a spot in line. It's hard for me to even fathom that it's worth that much to people just to get it a couple months earlier.

Still sorry you weren't able to get one after all that, Belfast. That's some unreal dedication you showed.. two days of vacation - then having them wasted standing in line and not coming out with the item you prized sucks.

Gio_CoD

Banned
bengraven said:
You're kidding me? You're saying that because someone truly loves games enough to buy one, they SHOULD be punished? That's ridiculous.
He's not saying anyone should be punished. He's just saying that if the demand wasn't there, the scalpers wouldn't do it. The "hardcore" create the problem that they bitch about.

Draft

bubububu free market.

nah, I'm with you man. Scalpers are ****ing scumbags and I hope each and every one of them gets burned with a PS3 that won't sell for a penny over retail.

cicero

Haleon said:
You know what the latest trend in gaming that I hate is? Obnoxious kids acting as if they have some sort of "right" to own a system just because they want to play it.

For one thing, there's nothing immoral about making money. You might feel like you're some sort of saint because you want to play the PS3 rather than profit off of it, but I am struggling to see how that makes you any better than them. When I think about truly unfair things in life, I tend to think about Somalian warlords stealing red cross supplies and selling them back to the people that need them the most. Suburban teenagers not getting a Playstation 3 rings up pretty low on my pity list.

If you really want a PS3, start calling stores and try to get an idea of their general stock delivery dates. Show up at the right store at the right time, and you'll get one.
Right on!@#

If you were truly Olimario Redux as your tag suggests, I hate to think of what your girlfriend would be having to do now to trade for a PS3.

Gio_CoD

Banned
cicero said:
Right on!@#

If you were truly Olimario Redux as your tag suggests, I hate to think of what your girlfriend would be having to do now to trade for a PS3.
We haven't talked much since the DS Lite launch.

Belfast

tHoMNZ said:
god that sucks dude.
Personally i don't understand why people would spend thousands of dollars for something with pretty much 0 killer apps atm.

after watching the coverage tonight it was hilarious to see the comments about the ps3, how its some sort of super computer. Really, its not. Most console gamers are clueless

Personally, a slim launch line-up doesn't bother me. It's something I've gotten used to with launches of various consoles over the years. But I'm a big gaming enthusiast. This is my primary hobby and I've loved games for as long as I can remember. They stimulate my brain and they're fun to play. The money from selling a system DOES NOT interest me at all in comparison with my love of the hobby.

So, for me, simply having the hardware in my hands is enough. Like I said, what I've saved up from paychecks amounts to roughly 900-1000 dollars. Enough for a PS3 and a Wii, plus sales tax. I absolutely DO NOT have the money to pay the exorbitant prices on eBay. Believe me, in most cases, I do blame the winners of these auctions, as well. It's silly to pay that much and they do fuel the fervor. But it's not like that absolves any of the blame from the scalpers, themselves. There are still plenty of people like me and the people I mentioned out there that sadly get left out of the cycle and not completely by choice. This was the most extreme launch I've suffered through. Even with the 360, I only waited about 13 hours. But the precedent set by that launch is what fueled the fires for this one and, subsequently, generated an increasing number of scalpers so that they generally out number the people in line who want it for a gift or their own personal use.

Sadly, it's going to keep getting worse if and when the bubble bursts on this micro-economy.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dude, just don't camp out. With a little patience, everyone will be able to get a PS3 without any hassle and there will be more games available for it as well.

You have a 360 right? Gears & Rainbow 6 and other titles should keep you busy for a while.

Dracos

Just got back from GS picking mine up. The guy in front of me was bragging about selling his on eBay. The salesguy didn't want to sell him one, but he had too. You could see he was pissed at the guy. I don't blame him either.

Ashodin

Blame Sony for the shortage. This became a giant fiasco because of Microsoft's launch shortages, and the advent of eBay as a money source.

It wasn't really a problem when the PS2 came out because not many people knew about scalping. But ever since 360, people have been thinking about it.

Nintendo fans should be happy - the launch allocations are going to make getting a Wii much smoother and a lot of people are going to be turned off by this PS3 shortage to get one.

Mad world...

Maaaad world...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, but he is not one of those willing to spend $2000 on a PS3 either. Those people are the problem.

These eBayers know this and have way too much time on their hands. A normal consumer can barely compete. Waiting outside for two days is one thing, but throwing down $2000-3000 for the machine is another.

I'm seriously hoping that the prices on eBay crash in the next couple days. The first group should do well, but if the supply really does reach the levels people are expecting, the demand (from people willing to spend 2 grand) may not be in line with the supply.

Nintendo fans should be happy - the launch allocations are going to make getting a Wii much smoother and a lot of people are going to be turned off by this PS3 shortage to get one.
This is true. Launching two days after Sony was a brilliant idea for Nintendo. *IF* they can actually deliver on their launch number promises, they'll do very well. I had NO PLANS of picking up a Wii for quite sometime, but with the PS3 launch failing for me and the quality of Zelda, I'm going to try and jump on it. They are getting an extra sale as a result of Sony's mistakes...and I'm sure I am far from the only one.

This whole launch really turned me off. Listening to those f*cker in New York talk about how PS3 offers a gaming experience radically different from anything you've seen before, the constant stressing of the power, and the staggering amount of ignorance (people just spouting off non-sense about the hardware and software) really put me off.

I'm not thrilled with the direction Nintendo is taking, but at least their vision is clear and their leadership is very strong.

I hope sony run the same program here as they did with the ps2, you had to reg your name at a store they would pass it on to sony sony would send you a letter to say if you had one or not. It sounds shit but it was alot less hassel and you knew where you stood way before launch day.

Slo

Not to be a dick (okay, maybe to be a dick :)), but really what did you expect? I can't fault the scalpers one bit, it's a high demand item and people are willing to work to attain one. Some more than others. People are investing their time to turn a profit, that's capitalism for ya. I'm surprised that retailers aren't jacking up the price themselves, why sell an item for less than the market will support in the first place?

I'm sorry that you didn't get a system, and I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you don't deserve a PS3 more than the guys in front of you just because you're a "true gamer" and your heart is pure. You should have gotten there sooner.

Belfast

ToxicAdam said:
That's too bad. Did Best Buy then try to offer you a 360?

Yup, a retarded "compensation" that nobody in line took advantage of and doesn't affect me at all since I already have one.

Wal-Marts, at least, were giving out rain checks, even if those were in limited numbers.

samusx

Banned
Thank you Seth C. You said exactly what I have been thinking the entire PS3 launch.

What the hell do you people want the PS3 for? After you get it what the hell are you going to do with it? There are like no games worth owning it for. Lets pretend that the system cost only $200.00, still why the hell would you want it? There is nothing on the system. Why blow so much money on a machine that will have no doubt have bugs in it, that has no games and that is so hard to get? It makes 0 sence.

Yea sure next year when there are more games it would make sence to get it, at that time the system will be lower in cost I am sure, and also Sony will have had a chance to fix up all the bugs that are in the system. Plus they will be easier to get then.

Some of you are truely retarded.

It's just silly to go to such crazy lengths to get a luxury and non-essential item like a videogame system. I don't think you can expect much sympathy about being treated badly. To be honest, the scalper's motivation makes more sense. They're just doing a job they're getting paid for.

Soybean

If it makes you feel any better, eBayers will get hosed. I'm tracking auctions and the amount of fake bidding is insane.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Belfast said:
Sadly, it's going to keep getting worse if and when the bubble bursts on this micro-economy.

this really sounds fanboyish but I hope that Nintendo has a successful launch window and sells what they ship. I think that would make Sony and MS reevaluate how they approach their next launch. More emphasis might be put on getting a large amount of units ready, less on timing of launch. If Nintendo can use their 4 million unit start well then I hope the other two try to follow suit.

samusx said:
What the hell do you people want the PS3 for? After you get it what the hell are you going to do with it? There are like no games worth owning it for. Lets pretend that the system cost only $200.00, still why the hell would you want it? There is nothing on the system. Why blow so much money on a machine that will have no doubt have bugs in it, that has no games and that is so hard to get? It makes 0 sence.

Yea sure next year when there are more games it would make sence to get it, at that time the system will be lower in cost I am sure, and also Sony will have had a chance to fix up all the bugs that are in the system. Plus they will be easier to get then.

Some of you are truely retarded.

Sure hope you didn't buy a 360 at launch.

cicero

Seriously though, why don't people who had serious problems with Best Buy employees write down their names, the store location, and start seriously contacting their regional and national offices and making a fuss. Or even filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. A few hundred people doing that will certainly cause heads to turn. Contact your local TV station or paper, small stories like that get picked up by the wires all the time.

http://www.bbb.org/complaint.asp

Top Bottom