• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parents get cougar to entertain kids at party -> kids entertain cougar as lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061208/ap_on_re_us/cougar_attack_2

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - A 4-year-old girl was mauled at a children's birthday party by a cougar that had been brought in by a wild-animal business to entertain the youngsters, authorities said.

The girl was attacked on Nov. 18 at the home of Goya Foods president Francisco Unanue during a party for his 7-year-old child and suffered severe cuts on her eyelid, cheek and ear, authorities said. Doctors sewed back part of her severed ear.

Police said Wild Animal World owner and trainer Corinne Oltz removed the leashed cougar from its cage to show it to the children, but the girl sneaked behind Oltz and startled the animal. The declawed cat seized the child's head with its teeth.

The 62-pound cougar was destroyed last week so that it could be tested for rabies; it did not have rabies.

State wildlife officials said Friday they were considering charges against Wild Animal World, a company that provides wild animals for parties.

Wild Animal World, which has run afoul the law in some previous attacks, did not immediately return a call for comment.

The attack was videotaped by a man hired to film the party, authorities said.

Wild Animal World's Web site says it offers a "wide variety of educational, exciting and professional interaction with exotic animals." A one-hour birthday show costs $270. The company's animals include Charlie the ringtail lemur, Popeye the anteater and Cookie the Guyanese porcupine.

Oltz was cited for a wildlife cage violation in a similar attack in 1999, court records showed. In 2001, a Wild Animal World leopard attacked a child at a company picnic. Oltz received probation for wildlife-possession violations, records showed.

Unanue's lawyer did not immediately return a call Friday..

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
AlanHemberger said:
I'm hoping the first person who makes a joke about the 4 year old gets banned.

What is there to joke about?

Not the kid's fault their parents are retarded.

The 62-pound cougar was destroyed last week so that it could be tested for rabies; it did not have rabies.
I've always thought this was an odd euphemism for euthanizing an animal. It doesn't sound peaceful at all, it sounds like they blew it up.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Lucky Forward said:
I've always thought this was an odd euphemism for euthanizing an animal. It doesn't sound peaceful at all, it sounds like they blew it up.

Yup.

Mute said:
You have to kill an animal to test it for rabies?

No, but even if they didn't someone would cry for the animal to be killed over the attack.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
If there's any fault here, it's more on the parents for even thinking of bringing in a cougar to a birthday party for kids.

tralfazz

Mute said:

Not that I recall. I grew up in Florida and was bitten by my aunt's rottweiller. They quarantined the animal to test it. That part of the article struck me as weird also.

Donono

ManaByte said:
If there's any fault here, it's more on the parents for even thinking of bringing in a cougar to a birthday party for kids.
Don't be so nieve... it's the cougar's fault for being a cougar.

FoxSpirit

The cougar was "destroyed"... way to say he was killed. And why? Because he was startled and lashed out, pretty normal for a wild cat... or even a house cat.
First abused for parties, then shot for a working incident. Farewell -.-

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Donono said:
Don't be so nieve... it's the cougar's fault for being a cougar.

And who was it who endangered their kid by paying money for someone to bring a cougar to the party?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
tralfazz said:
Not that I recall. I grew up in Florida and was bitten by my aunt's rottweiller. They quarantined the animal to test it. That part of the article struck me as weird also.

quarantine and observation is done with domesticated animals, protocol is different with wild animals. Actually physically testing an animal for rabies requires examination of brain tissue as far as I can remember.

This being a wild, yet trained animal I'm surprised they did not observe it first, although given the age of the victim the priority was probably in insuring her well being.

So they had a choice between a porcupine, lemur, anteater, and cougar for a kids birthday party and they chose...

Miguel

I would have rather the story been about a gamecock that got mauled by a Cougar.

(Houston vs South Carolina in the Liberty Bowl)

Donono

ManaByte said:
And who was it who endangered their kid by paying money for someone to bring a cougar to the party?
The way I see it, they hired this cougar to kill their kid. The handlers are accessories, and the parents are guilty of conspiracy to commit murder. The dead cougar's guilty of attempted murder.

Az987

all good things
Man, I thought this was gonna be about parents who got a 'cougar' is in hot milf to entertain their kids party and the kids raped her

Anyways, im let down

M3wThr33

Banned
levious said:
quarantine and observation is done with domesticated animals, protocol is different with wild animals. Actually physically testing an animal for rabies requires examination of brain tissue as far as I can remember.

This being a wild, yet trained animal I'm surprised they did not observe it first, although given the age of the victim the priority was probably in insuring her well being.

So they had a choice between a porcupine, lemur, anteater, and cougar for a kids birthday party and they chose...

Too many words.

Just say that the head has to be cut off. It sounds funnier.

levious said:

Actually it was...

The company's animals include Charlie the ringtail lemur, Popeye the anteater and Cookie the Guyanese porcupine.
...and they chose Bitey the cougar.

State wildlife officials said Friday they were considering charges against Wild Animal World, a company that provides wild animals for parties.
Holy crap, I can't believe this is an industry.

Drensch

by a cougar that had been brought in by a wild-animal business to entertain the youngsters, authorities said.

That's enough WTF to go around without even knowing what happened. Who'da thunk that bring a ****ing apex predator to a birthday party would be a bad idea?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Drensch said:
And while we're at it the child should be removed from the home, and the business shut down.

Yeah, I think bringing a cougar to a four-year old's birthday party is a pretty clear case of child endangerment right there. The incident should be proof enough that they're too stupid to have kids.

Mute

Banned
ManaByte said:
Yeah, I think bringing a cougar to a four-year old's birthday party is a pretty clear case of child endangerment right there. The incident should be proof enough that they're too stupid to have kids.
I think bringing your kid anywhere near a birthday party that a cougar is involved with is pretty endangering as well. Sad part is most of the parents probably stayed there and saw the cougar and thought nothing of it. Bunch of ****ing idiots.

Az987

all good things
ManaByte said:

Well your wrong it was a 7year olds birthday buddy :lol

Joe Molotov

0740743880.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1077944108_.jpg

Az987

all good things
Guys this seems like it could be fun.

For 270$ you can get any animal, they gotta have more big cats, I wonder if you can get like a leporad and a lemur with hilarious results!

Do you think they do hotel parties 'cause I dont live in Florida but i'll go to see something like that.

ronito

Man, the first thing I thought was "oh man poor kid!" then I kept reading that it was the kid of the president of Goya foods, then I thought of Goya Malta

MaltaGoya.jpg

hmmm....malta.....

I don't understand why'd they think a couger would be cool to have at all. I can think of some other animals that would be much more fun to have, say a Monkey, Kangaroo, Penguin, etc. Where do you go to hire those kind of animals anyway?

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
My parents rented a dozen tigers and we rode them around at my birthday party when I was a kid. Not that many ppl died. It was pretty cool overall.

tt_deeb

In all fairness I don't think this is the parent's fault as much as it is the entertainment company's fault.

For my sister's birthday... my parents one time hired a company like this and they showed off a baby alligator, a nice sized python, as well as some pretty vicious looking birds. It can be done in a safe manner (just like at zoos). The problem here is the company let out the cougar and couldn't properly handle it. If anything I'm blaming the parents for not finding a reliable company, not because they wanted to have a live animal entertainment show.

JayDubya

Banned
tt_deeb said:
In all fairness I don't think this is the parent's fault as much as it is the entertainment company's fault.

I think everyone's to blame, which is another way of saying no one's to blame, well, directly anyway.

The four year old shouldn't have been running around unsupervised - that's the parent's fault.

The cougar shouldn't have been let out of the cage if the four year old was running around nearby - that's the handler's fault.

In general, it really is a terrible idea to bring a cougar to a kid's party, though. That's just not a petting zoo type creature.

deadbeef

Mute said:

While I can communicate with animals, I cannot ask the cat if it has rabies, and get an honest answer

We like to call it "making cotton candy". You like cotton candy, don't you?

ckohler

Look at this another way.. maybe the parents were fooled by the handlers into believing it was safe. According to their records, that company doesn't seem to be all that reputable.

I won't deny putting your kids in front of a wild animal is a generally, dumb move but if they'd been told that there was no chance of danger by the "expert handlers" then maybe it was enough to lower their guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom