• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should re-release Viva Pinata Summer 2007 with an XBL multiplayer patch

Joe

and for either $19.99 or $29.99.

The multiplayer patch should add a feautre so that gamers can go into their friends gardens and chat/bullshit with them while watching and giving tips on other people designing and maintaining their gardens. It's like 1 person is still playing a "single player" but still having a friend next to them just bullshitting while playing a game. Something like this would also be cool in Forza 2 while someone is in their garage and on the test track while giving their new design a whirl.

Also, the re-release would need a whole new marketing campaign designed for gamers who have children ages 3+. It should be perceived as a game that "older" gamers play while their children help them design and maintain the garden. This also gives the children themselves a much better chance at actually playing the game AND succeeding instead of trying to learn on their own.

Oh, and a new "real" case.

Viva Pinata is a flat out a really good game and a game the 360 could have used it to really expand their market. 1up is/was right, Microsoft dropped the ball.

What do you think?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Good idea, but it could be done as a download rather than a new release. Also, the gay package is temporary anyway.

I've got a question about Viva. Why did Rare and MS go to the trouble of putting that literature in the instruction manual and making that video explaining to kids about the dangers of playing Viva online when you really can't do a damn thing with Viva on XBL other than send your friends packages?

Anyone?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think it was more of a general guide for 'online safety' since the game is children-oriented. Not necessarily just Viva Pinata online safety.

This is actually a good idea. Microsoft's marketing team really dropped the ball on selling what is actually a very good game. A properly launched and marketed "Viva Pinata Redux" could establish the franchise.

Core407

Banned
Joe said:
and for either $19.99 or $29.99.

The multiplayer patch should add a feautre so that gamers can go into their friends gardens and chat/bullshit with them while watching and giving tips on other people designing and maintaining their gardens. It's like 1 person is still playing a "single player" but still having a friend next to them just bullshitting while playing a game. Something like this would also be cool in Forza 2 while someone is in their garage and on the test track while giving their new design a whirl.

Also, the re-release would need a whole new marketing campaign designed for gamers who have children ages 3+. It should be perceived as a game that "older" gamers play while their children help them design and maintain the garden. This also gives the children themselves a much better chance at actually playing the game AND succeeding instead of trying to learn on their own.

Oh, and a new "real" case.

Viva Pinata is a flat out a really good game and a game the 360 could have used it to really expand their market. 1up is/was right, Microsoft dropped the ball.

What do you think?

Can't two people just setup a direct voice channel and talk in-game?

Azih

The only thing wrong with Viva Pinata was the marketing. This is a game for the Sims crowd, not the Saturdy morning cartoon bracket.

Multiplayer wouldn't help it at all.

Flynn

I still think they should patch in a dumbed down mode that's way less punishing on your pinatas. My wife has played Animal Crossing every day since the game launched, but refuses to play the game because she doesn't want to see her pets torn to shreds.

A less Darwinian mode would help make the game more kid-friendly as well.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've got a question about Viva. Why did Rare and MS go to the trouble of putting that literature in the instruction manual and making that video explaining to kids about the dangers of playing Viva online when you really can't do a damn thing with Viva on XBL other than send your friends packages?

Anyone?
Possibly covering their asses for future expansion of the title a la what's described in the OP or something similar.

No.1

Core407 said:
Can't two people just setup a direct voice channel and talk in-game?

Exactly. I don't see the real point of setting up a online system so a friend can come in and watch you plant plants and pat your Pinatas - seems kinda useless. They released what is possible with multiplayer in the game, can't really see what they could expand on.

Flynn said:
I still think they should patch in a dumbed down mode that's way less punishing on your pinatas. My wife has played Animal Crossing every day since the game launched, but refuses to play the game because she doesn't want to see her pets torn to shreds.

A less Darwinian mode would help make the game more kid-friendly as well.

A valid complaint. My niece couldn't stand that you bascially can't have cats and dogs in the same garden.

TheFallen

Hmmm... last I checked they mentioned they would be releasing the multiplayer patch in the future containing the ability to go to a friend's garden and explore it - as well as functionality to give them the right to modify it.

jedimike

Viva sales will be fine... word-of-mouth is good and it's starting to get some media exposure. I know 1up will have it listed in their GOTY voting. There was a beatiful spread in this months Play mag and it received a 9.5/10. I expect EGM will have more on the game as well.

Flynn

TheFallen said:
Hmmm... last I checked they mentioned they would be releasing the multiplayer patch in the future containing the ability to go to a friend's garden and explore it - as well as functionality to give them the right to modify it.

Communal gardens would be rad.

Bebpo

Banned
TheFallen said:

So just like Kameo....

You'd think Rare would have Online all down pat by now >(

TheFallen said:

Anybody got a link? I just want to know if Rare actually went on record with this.

Joe

i think it would be quite awesome if i could go into my friends garden while he's in there doing his gardening especially since he just got the game and im about halfway through it. i can give him pointers that will help him out along the way. this would be especially awesome since i moved a while ago, and im about 150 miles away from my "real" friends.

Speevy

Banned
Rare is one of the top Xbox 360 developers with respect to downloadable content, and they've released multiple downloads for Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, and Viva Pinata already.

There's very little doubt in my mind that Viva online multiplayer (just like with Kameo) is coming.

Joe

Speevy said:
Rare is one of the top Xbox 360 developers with respect to downloadable content, and they've released multiple downloads for Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, and Viva Pinata already.

There's very little doubt in my mind that Viva online multiplayer (just like with Kameo) is coming.
that xbl patch should coincide with a viva pinata relaunch featuring a pre-patched game, new case, lower price, and a new marketing campaign this summer

TheFallen

Mention of the co-op mode is in the game's instruction manual. Rare has also made menion of future multiplayer components through XCN's Q&A. I've seen some more details about the future components listed at a popular fansite, PinataIsland.info if any of you want more details.

Sean

Banned
TheFallen said:
Mention of the co-op mode is in the game's instruction manual. Rare has also made menion of future multiplayer components through XCN's Q&A. I've seen some more details about the future components listed at a popular fansite, PinataIsland.info if any of you want more details.

Interesting. I've heard of the online co-op being added later, but never heard Rare mention mini games and stuff. That's good news if true.

I hope Viva Pinata does get supported on Live since it's doubtful the game will get a sequel (unless it has legs from the word of mouth). MS/Rare might not think its worth the effort and development/testing costs if the game sells so poorly :(

FightyF

Banned
No.1 said:
Exactly. I don't see the real point of setting up a online system so a friend can come in and watch you plant plants and pat your Pinatas - seems kinda useless. They released what is possible with multiplayer in the game, can't really see what they could expand on.

The voice channel doesn't serve the purpose stated by the OP, so that you could watch over their garden too.

Top Bottom