• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Businessweek: "Sony Bounces Back"

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
http://www.businessweek.com/globalb...?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business

That's Entertainment: Sony Bounces Back
Shares are up, with good news from PS3, LCD TV, and Sony Pictures. Now CEO Stringer may be eyeing ways to revamp Sony's core consumer-electronics biz

After a year of almost non-stop disappointing news, Sony (SNE) Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer may finally be able to peddle some real optimism in 2007. Confirmation by Stringer at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that Sony had met an initial PlayStation 3 sales target and is on track to nail a 5% profit margin target by March, 2008, sent the company's shares rocketing up 6.5% to 5,550 ($47) in Tokyo trading on Jan. 9.

lexi

Banned
Defuser said:
Awesome,Warm sunshine after the rain.
I like to see how fanboys try to spin this one

Sony now owe creditors 999 billion as opposed to 1000 billion. Successfully spun.

jarosh

bouncing_ad.jpg

DCharlie

Banned
bouncing_ad.jpg

Lynni'vepiercedmyfootonaspiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike
Sony had met an initial PlayStation 3 sales target and is on track to nail a 5% profit margin target by March, 2008

hold on, they were sub 1% last quarter, now they are on track to nail a 5% profit margin.... in 12 months time?

i'm not saying they won't ... just strikes me as a little odd - and weren't we talking Shipped not sold? I think the streets of Japan are testiment to the 'they'll sell what they ship' thing being perhaps a little off.. ?

Darren316

Confirmation by Stringer at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that Sony had met an initial PlayStation 3 sales target

they shipped 1million year end 06, the plan was to ship 2 million .. how did they meet that.

or were the numbers changed to 1 millionon new years eve .. lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
mckmas8808 said:
Why is this thread so small?

Because it has little to do with gaming beyond the mention of Sony's shipping one million PS3's, which was already announced.

Safe Bet

Banned
Darren316 said:
they shipped 1million year end 06, the plan was to ship 2 million .. how did they meet that.

shhhhh....

*magic wand*

;)

Raistlin

Darren316 said:

Isn't the 1 million number for NA? And something like 500k for Japan?

Haunted

mckmas8808 said:
Why is this thread so small?
Because there's nothing interesting in that news bit to talk about? I don't know.

Mojovonio said:
So.... Sony am NOT DOOMED?
No no, I've heard some people are still seeing PS3's on shelves. Sony am DOOMED still. ;)

Well, after a certain point, there's no where to go but up. :lol

I think Sony deserves a round of applause though. Many, including myself, thought its descent would go on a bit longer.

Mojovonio

Banned
Haunted_One said:
No no, I've heard some people are still seeing PS3's on shelves. Sony am DOOMED still. ;)

DAMMIT PEOPLE! SONY EMPLOYEES HAVE MOUTHS TO FEED! BUT THEM PS3S! TAKE A SECOND JOB IF YOU HAVE TO!

The good news has nothing to do with the PS3 actually, it's that they are on track to be profitable again. That's the best thing that can happen to Sony, or any other company.

Now if PS3 sales continue to go as expected, and Blu-Ray increases it's sales as well, Sony may indeed have turned the corner. Their LCD TV line has been doing well for awhile now.

Arsenal

Defuser said:
Awesome,Warm sunshine after the rain.
I like to see how fanboys try to spin this one

So we have this warm and fuzzy PR piece that makes a pretty big stretch to call PS3 a success, but doesn't even mention anything positive about Blu-Ray. Does this mean they are already managing our expectations regarding its limited adoption rates?

(hey, you wanted spin)

RaijinFY

Darren316 said:

Or... just shut it?

Haunted

Mojovonio said:
DAMMIT PEOPLE! SONY EMPLOYEES HAVE MOUTHS TO FEED! BUT THEM PS3S! TAKE A SECOND JOB IF YOU HAVE TO!
You sound like an official Sony PR spokesperson. :(

I feel real guilty about the starving children of poor Sony employees, but I'm in Europe, so technically I'm not allowed to import a PS3. :p

Mojovonio

Banned
Haunted_One said:
You sound like an official Sony PR speaker. :(

I feel real guilty about the starving children of poor Sony employees, but I'm in Europe, so I'm not allowed to import a PS3. :p

But the games are region free at least, so you'll have a pretty nice library to choose from when you guys are able to get it. What's the PS3 launching with in Europe anyways?

Haunted

Mojovonio said:
But the games are region free at least, so you'll have a pretty nice library to choose from when you guys are able to get it. What's the PS3 launching with in Europe anyways?
The line-up is looking really solid, actually. That's the postitve trade-off for being the last to get it. :p

What I want to know is how many will Europe get? With production issues sorted out, they should pump these ****ers out as fast as they can. Say what you will, BOHICA etc. if it comes to Sony's treatment of Europe, but the PS3 is still very much anticipated. Sony's got the mindshare here in Germany. Playstation = gaming and all that.

So does is this news/stock bump enough to leave Stringer safe in the big chair @ Sony?

I was sure the shareholders were ready to pull the plug on him last week.

Place yer bets!

Mojovonio

Banned
Haunted_One said:
The line-up is looking really solid, actually. That's the postitve trade-off for being the last to get it. :p

What I want to know is how many will Europe get? With production issues sorted out, they should pump these ****ers out as fast as they can. Say what you will, BOHICA etc. if it comes to Sony's treatment of Europe, but the PS3 is still very much anticipated. Sony's got the mindshare here in Germany. Playstation = gaming and all that.

I really don't see production as being a problem unless they run into PAL issues.

Didn't Sony lower their forecasts previously? And now they'e met them, or are on track to do so.

I can't say I'm impressed. "Sony Bounces Back" is far too much of a hyperbolic statement, especially considering what's happening. They still have shortages, an expensive console they're losing tons of money on, and losing exclusive software...yet, Sony is Bouncing Back. No.

It's not even about disliking Sony. I imagine if you really really like Sony you could read that one paragraph and sleep better at night; and likewise if you hated Sony you could read it and dismiss it. But from a business perspective, not clouded by fanboy bullshit, Sony hasn't bounced back from anything. I can't help but think that "5% profit margin" pertains to Sony the company, not PS3 the system. Because from where I'm standing, the PS3 won't be profitable anytime soon.

Remember the 360 drought that lasted all spring, despite analyists constantly declaring it over? Well the same thing is going to happen to the PS3. Like the 360, the PS3 is simply not at a mainstream price, and without the Christmas boost it'll have trouble. Especially at $600.

D.Lo

Havn't Sony shares halved in value over the last two years? A 6.5% recovery is hardly bouncing back...

argon

According to this AP article, Sony had three targets:

1) 2 million worldwide by the end of the year
2) 1 million in North America by the end of the year
3) 1 million in Japan by the end of the year

They missed #1 and #3 by ~500k, and had to divert consoles from Japan to meet their North America target.

KTallguy

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I can't say I'm impressed. "Sony Bounces Back" is far too much of a hyperbolic statement, especially considering what's happening. They still have shortages, an expensive console they're losing tons of money on, and losing exclusive software...yet, Sony is Bouncing Back. No.

Yep, sure. Sony is DOOMED.

Yet they shipped 1m units, beating out the original PS2 launch. Speaking of PS2, how was it's holiday? PSP had a good holiday too? Ever hear of Portable Ops?

OMG, Sony has good news! Let's SPIN it!

And from what I understand, when has MS been profitable with their console? :lol

D.Lo

argon said:
According to this AP article, Sony had three targets:

1) 2 million worldwide by the end of the year
2) 1 million in North America by the end of the year
3) 1 million in Japan by the end of the year

They missed #1 and #3 by ~500k, and had to divert consoles from Japan to meet their North America target.
And only 'reached' #2 by calling consoles bound for the US but still on a boat in China 'shipped'.

KTallguy said:

Yet they shipped 1m units, beating out the original PS2 launch. Speaking of PS2, how was it's holiday? PSP had a good holiday too? Ever hear of Portable Ops?

And from what I understand, when has MS been profitable with their console? :lol

Um, what?

KTallguy said:

Brilliant.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
KTallguy said:

That has nothing to do with this thread.

KTallguy said:

You may want to take some time and wonder why you care so much. wow. meltdown imminent.

KTallguy

Banned
No meltdown, but more like just boredom.

Sure, I care about Sony doing well, I bought their damn console :lol

The fact remains that although the PS3 has gotten bad press, the launch wasn't the most horrible travesty known to man. Stop making it sound like it was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
KTallguy said:
The fact remains that although the PS3 has gotten bad press, the launch wasn't the most horrible travesty known to man. Stop making it sound like it was.

It was up there. :p

KTallguy said:
No meltdown, but more like just boredom.

Sure, I care about Sony doing well, I bought their damn console :lol

No one is suggesting anything of the sort. But please don't act like it was a success either when Sony cut shipments due to problems, and then apparently cut forecasts thus leading up to this "good" news.

And is MS profiting? No. Why you brought them up is beyond me, althought I have a guess.

LJ11

PhoenixDark said:
Didn't Sony lower their forecasts previously? And now they'e met them, or are on track to do so.

It's not even about disliking Sony. I imagine if you really really like Sony you could read that one paragraph and sleep better at night; and likewise if you hated Sony you could read it and dismiss it. But from a business perspective, not clouded by fanboy bullshit, Sony hasn't bounced back from anything. I can't help but think that "5% profit margin" pertains to Sony the company, not PS3 the system. Because from where I'm standing, the PS3 won't be profitable anytime soon.

Remember the 360 drought that lasted all spring, despite analyists constantly declaring it over? Well the same thing is going to happen to the PS3. Like the 360, the PS3 is simply not at a mainstream price, and without the Christmas boost it'll have trouble. Especially at $600.

You fail to take into account other parts of their business. Their movie business had a banner year, and with movies like Spiderman on the horizon it looks like another good year for that operation. In all honesty, the gaming division right now poses the biggest risk for Sony. Stringer and Co have straighten out most of their other divisions and returned them to some semblance of profitability. It just so happens that the operation that carried them through those "lean" years faces its toughest battle yet. This is more an article about Sony as a whole than it is on the PS3.

Edit: Companies lower expectations all the time, and then they beat those lowered expectations and everyone smiles. Under promise and over deliver is what someone once said.

Top Bottom