• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) New Mass Effect Screens, Interview, and Art (56k no)

squicken

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/756/756883p1.html

January 19, 2007 - If you're an Xbox owner and an RPG fan, then you know BioWare. The studio is only responsible for Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, after all. But now BioWare is moving into the next generation of consoles with Mass Effect and the expectations are high. The sci-fi themed RPG is one of Microsoft's major players for 2007, with an army of fans drooling over the few movies, screens, and bits of information that have been released.

BioWare's Casey Hudson, Project Director for Mass Effect, was kind enough to take a break from working to shed some light on what we can expect out of the title when it arrives on store shelves later this year. Read on to learn about the inspiration for the game, details on how BioWare has moved videogame morality beyond simple good and evil, info on character creation and combat, and much more.

------------------------

me10of.jpg

me24bp.jpg

me37wx.jpg

me47ab.jpg

me52ug.jpg

me64zu.jpg

me74zf.jpg

pswii60

I genuinely think this looks great. The environments look like they're going to have so much atmosphere in them, the 'glow' is just light reflecting off their metal armour.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Vyse The Legend said:
EB has the release date for this set at May 22nd. What are the odds that they will actually make that date?

Splooge to none.

/hope

Just read all that. Very, very few games get me hyped. This is one of them. Sweet Jesus.

How the **** are they getting all this content out, though? My God. It all seams so vast, so epic, so... massive.

I need to tone my hype down a wee bit.

I will say that I am planning my trip to Europe this year around this game, as much as I can. It's that huge.

And, thanks for asking about a release date, IGN.

pswii60

SnakeXs said:
Splooge to none.

/hope

Just read all that. Very, very few games get me hyped. This is one of them. Sweet Jesus.

How the **** are they getting all this content out, though? My God. It all seams so vast, so epic, so... massive.

I need to tone my hype down a wee bit.

I will say that I am planning my trip to Europe this year around this game, as much as I can. It's that huge.

And, thanks for asking about a release date, IGN.

It just comes across as one of those games that you can really sit down, relax and get your teeth stuck in to. A real epic with atmosphere and story. I absolutely loved KOTOR, but Jade Empire not so much. However, everything I have seen of this so far has just got me so excited. I really can't wait for this to come out, but only a month then until Bioshock too!

PolyGone

Banned
best looking next gen title confirmed. never in my wildest dreams did I think games would ever look this good.

Final Fantasy 13 can kiss Mass Effects ass. Look at those screens! And we know they're not doctored, which is the best part!

Dammit Microsoft, stop making me want to buy your console!

Borys

Banned
Anachronox 2 on that engine would be DA BOMB.

/ walks away from thread imaginating a glowing, HDR Democratus...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
nelsonroyale said:
I like the look of the ingame stuff...the art is very bland to me...rather 70s

peace

That's one of the things I like about it. The art style has this intriguing demeanor.

g23

European pre-madonna
MutFox said:
Looks really bland...
Like each character is lifeless.

I don't want the badass space marine to be replaced with

vaan.jpg

kthx go back to your anime games.

(Artsyle looks awesome, 80's scifi)

painey

Looks dull to me.. generic metal space suits and half-life aliens aside, flat looking ground textures, and horrible trees.. meh. I'll hold judgement until I see in game screens rather than the press-release ones

aeolist

Banned
g23 said:

[IM G]http://simplyff.free.fr/FF12/artworks/vaan.jpg[/IMG]

There are no alternatives. You either get a generic space marine or Gackt.

The art style really is awesome. It really delves in to the old sci-fi style.

But considering previous projects and gameplay footage, I really hope no serious framedrops will occur. It seems this games is going to push the boundaries of what can currently be done on the hardware.

squicken

temp said:
You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Ditto. I was always fond of the clean lines present in modern/post-modern design. Some of the art has a bit of an Advent Rising feel imo.

temp said:
You say that like it would be a bad thing.

yes it is a bad thing....for some reason I cant put my foot on it but it just looks rather poor to me...sub par...ill defined, blurry washed out colours, sparse detail, clashing colours, etc

peace

MutFox

Banned
g23 said:
Uhh yeah, never played that game and don't care...
But yeah, the characters faces look retarded.
The environments though, pretty sweet.

Way to generalize though... LOL

Topfuel

painey said:
Looks dull to me.. generic metal space suits and half-life aliens aside, flat looking ground textures, and horrible trees.. meh. I'll hold judgement until I see in game screens rather than the press-release ones

Ok?

The art looks good. One of the few games with art thats look solid all through, from architecture to people.

Got kind of a French sci-fi influence.

Tongue

I like the look of these screens so far.

I have one question though. Why the **** is everyone glowing so hard? It seems overly glowy for some reason.

Other than that I dig the art style so far.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
g23 said:

vaan.jpg

Uh. Let's not do this.

Anyway, my one problem and it even shows in the art, is the weird issues with posture and how everyone seems to have a big rod shoved in them. Very stiff looking.

Orodreth

sp0rsk said:
Anyway, my one problem and it even shows in the art, is the weird issues with posture and how everyone seems to have a big rod shoved in them. Very stiff looking.

I don´t know, the videos showed good animations and attitude ( the bartender confrontation and shepard vs alien companion discussion ).

And i love the art, the scenery, armor, characters design. They look fantastic.

Syb

I watched a video just last week from X06 (old... i know) and while for the most part it was astounding, it showed some god awful boring action scenes. Also the lip-sync animations look really odd on the male lead, there is just something with his lips that is odd.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
sp0rsk said:

what? Who are you referring to exactly because every character i can see has perfectly normal posture, and you can see that different characters have different body language...Bioware has been guilty of shoving rods up asses before (KOTOR & Jade empire suffer), this is leagues ahead of those.

MutFox

Banned
Syb said:
I watched a video just last week from X06 (old... i know) and while for the most part it was astounding, it showed some god awful boring action scenes. Also the lip-sync animations look really odd on the male lead, there is just something with his lips that is odd.
I haven't seen the video, but from one of the pictures,
it looks like the facial rigging for lip animation is not really using very good shape animation for the cheeks, and that's what makes it look awkward.
Though I'd have to see it in motion.

Brashnir

Jewbacca said:
I would so have sex with an alien... a female alien. I felt like was the thread I could express that in.

that way people would see you and be all like, "Homeboy f**ked a Martian, yo."

Wow, this game is awesome. Great character design, great environments, great gfx. Now let's hope for great story and gameplay, and it will be aboslutely killer.

f@luS

More than a member.
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Wow, this game is awesome. Great character design, great environments, great gfx. Now let's hope for great story and gameplay, and it will be aboslutely killer.
framerate
framerate
framerate

llTll

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Next gen games look nice, not real. duh. :D :lol

Heavenly SWORD + THPS HDR FTW!

yeah i know but thats too much lighting its the same lighting on ur face if u were in night club and the light was on ur face. :lol

reduce it a lil, it would look better i think

MegaTen

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
GOW
GOW
GOW
To be fair, Epic designed Unreal Engine 3, did they not? I'm sure it would be a hell of a lot easier for the creator of the graphics engine to get a smooth framerate as compared to other developers with little to no experience working with it.

permabanned.jpg

my brother was permabanned for jizzing over screens of mass effect? He wasn't trolling, he actually plans on buying one because of this game. Just wondering if thats standard response for this sort of thing, or maybe a mod was being a little heavy handed? :/

I won't get mad if this game slips to the fall. I understand what they are trying to here is truly massive. The sheer amount of locations you can visit is astounding !

Top Bottom