• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLK party on Texas campus causes uproar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
0125071mlk11.jpg

0125071mlk17.jpg

Macam

Banned
Mashing said:
I'm surprised this didn't happen in Vidor. Racist town in America.

You know, I only passed that town once on my way to New Orleans and, I swear, there was this big handwritten wooden sign off the side of the freeway that read "Rape while dying legal". I had to ask my friend if I was seeing and reading that right. I still don't quite know what the hell it meant, but I sure wasn't stopping for gas, that's for sure.

As for the story, welcome to Texas. Leave the major cities and that's what you get sadly.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
These I love Chicken pictures continue to confirm in my mind that this was just an innocent halloween party like themed party... yessir!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DarienA said:
First of all please don't pull that my brother stuff out. There are LOTS of people OF color who decry the current state of our culture so don't come at me like that only happens on the outside, and it's certainly not just Cosby or Oprah doing it, they are just the ones that make media headlines with it. In most neighborhoods, in most local churches, etc. you can find respect black members of the community decrying it's current state.

I agree. It pisses me off that soooo many people in hip-hop hate Oprah right now. I ask myself why?

Big Zep said:
Am I reading this right?
You are! Wendy's fried chicken is good, really. (Or is the question that you didn't know they served fried chicken?) I've heard Popeye's is good, but people--black people--have told me that it doesn't re-heat very well, so I haven't ordered it in years. Roy Rogers used to have great fried chicken, but those are very scarce.

I had friends in college who wore blackface one Halloween. They were supposed to be Bob and Rita Marley, and did it not to be racist but because they loved reggae. Still, not the best costume choice one could make.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mercury Fred said:
When you start rationalizing a bunch of white kids dressing up as caricatures of black people on Martin Luther King day, a straw man is actually better than you deserve.
Look, I'm not going to defend the idiots for this party, but I think there's a clear difference.

Kuroyume said:
As if I needed more reasons to hate Texans...

Interesting that you choose a topic discussing stereotypes to communicate your own. Irony lol

btw am I the only person who gets a stomach ache after eating KFC? When I was little I prefered their chicken over the less...seasoned chicken my mom/grandma made, but now...gimme grandma's chicken! I'm getting old lol

ronito

PhoenixDark said:
Interesting that you choose a topic discussing stereotypes to communicate your own. Irony lol

btw am I the only person who gets a stomach ache after eating KFC? When I was little I prefered their chicken over the less...seasoned chicken my mom/grandma made, but now...gimme grandma's chicken! I'm getting old lol
haverchuck4rq.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Kuroyume said:

Yeah, because the knuckleheads at the party represent the rest of the state, right?

They even represent the Black people that were rightfully offended, right?

this will not be the last thread on GAF pointing out ignorance and racism in America

- people saying, we not racist
- people saying, hey thats not racist
- people saying, Ouuu you did a bad thing!
- people saying, Its Ass Whuppin time!
- people saying, my friends did this and they are good people

meh, I will try to resist

Jonm1010

Banned
This reminds me of spending my last high school years in Chalmette LA. A whole large portion of white kids would all go around wearing FUBU, Dickies and gangsta like clothing, talking and walking like an inner-city black person. All of it steming from the new trends they would pick up from the inner-city culture, black people started doing something a week later they were doing it.

Of course they go around doing all this stuff throwing out hey my nigga to all there other white friends. You ask them what they think about the ninth ward(poor all black neighborhood right near us) and they never fail to have some of the most racist shit piled up to talk about them, the hypocricy would nearlly bring me to tears in laughter, while crying on the inside cause of the ignorance of so many southern people around there.

JayDubya

Banned
Kuroyume said:

"Man, I can't believe that all the white people in a given region are so bigoted and prone to use hate, stereotypes, and sweeping generalizations. I hate them all so much."

That is about as kosher as, "You know we wouldn't have racism in this world if it weren't for those damn *insert epithet here."

Stupid bigotry is stupid bigotry.

Kuroyume

Banned
DarienA said:
Oh great this is SO much better than racism... :rolleyes

It's a little jab at some of the texan baseball dudes on the forum (assuming they're reading this). Stop being such a drama queens.

DarienA

Kuroyume said:
It's a little jab at some of the texan baseball dudes on the forum (assuming they're reading this). Stop being such a drama queens.

Ah sorry my ESP is failing me today. Stop being such a puss.

Smiles and Cries said:
- people saying, my friends did this and they are good people
I'm sure if I talked to my friends and said, "Hey, remember that time you wore blackface and fake dreadlocks on Halloween?", they would be mortified. I think there is a distinction between costuming yourself as Bob Marley on Halloween in 1985 and wearing a t-shirt that says "I love chicken" and drinking a Forty on MLK Day in 2007. But, since I wasn't the one stupid enough to blacken my face, that's as far as I'll defend it.

weepy

PhoenixDark said:
I find it more offensive that many facets of "our media" actually portrays these stereotypes; I couldn't care less about a few drunk white kids, but an entire network dedicated to propogating black stereotypes - while calling itself "Black Entertainment Television" - is where the issue truly lies in my mind.

Are you serious? No really...

While I'll agree that the BET and some other media mediums does nothing to negate these stereotypes, it's a bit of a stretch to actually say that it causes others to really believe that black people act like....^^^that. This party was done out of the stupidity of the students and they needed to be called on it.

Just out of curiousity, where do you live PhoenixDark?

weepy said:
Are you serious? No really...

While I'll agree that the BET and some other media mediums does nothing to negate these stereotypes, it's a bit of a stretch to actually say that it causes others to really believe that black people act like....^^^that. This party was done out of the stupidity of the students and they needed to be called on it.

Just out of curiousity, where do you live PhoenixDark?

Are you denying that it can re-enforce stereotypes?:lol

I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Where do you live?

weepy

PhoenixDark said:
Are you denying that it can re-enforce stereotypes?:lol

I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Where do you live?

Hmmm, depends on what people watch on BET...also I doubt the partiers were the type that watch BET to begin with, plus where the hell would they get the idea to dress up like Aunt Jermima from BET?

Oh, I live in Los Angeles, CA.

weepy said:
Hmmm, depends on what people watch on BET...also I doubt the partiers were the type that watch BET to begin with, plus where the hell would they get the idea to dress up like Aunt Jermima from BET?

Oh, I live in Los Angeles, CA.

My rant on BET wasn't meant to be connected to this Texas incident. I'm looking at the issue from a more macro point of view, and the propogation of less than flattering stereotypes in the media.

BET obviously isn't the only culprit of this

Mike M

Nick N
Last time I went to Popeye's was in Renton WA a little before the '04 election, and my family were the only white people in there, and then my brother starts going on about something political and how right wing blogs or somthing had labeled senators Kerry, Kennedy, and someone else with a K as "the new KKK."

Didn't seem to be a smart topic of conversation...

weepy

PhoenixDark said:
My rant on BET wasn't meant to be connected to this Texas incident. I'm looking at the issue from a more macro point of view, and the propogation of less than flattering stereotypes in the media.

BET obviously isn't the only culprit of this

Well obviously...For instance, I live in one of the most stereotyped places in the US (bloods and crips are on the loose, a murder almost everyday, it's dangerous, yadda yadda) all overexaggerated by the media i.e. the news. Truth is, I could walk around at night and wouldn't get no more than a "wassup" from a few people. It's pretty safe.

weepy said:
Well obviously...For instance, I live in one of the most stereotyped places in the US (bloods and crips are on the loose, a murder almost everyday, it's dangerous, yadda yadda) all overexaggerated by the media i.e. the news. Truth is, I could walk around at night and wouldn't get no more than a "wassup" from a few people. It's pretty safe.

I agree, although the numbers certainly speak for themselves with respect to some of the more "dangerous" areas of the country's cities.

Taichu

I guess I don't see the controversy. It's like having a geek-themed party where people dress as Trekkies, Urkel, and other stereotypes of nerds.

DarienA

Taichu said:
I guess I don't see the controversy. It's like having a geek-themed party where people dress as Trekkies, Urkel, and other stereotypes of nerds.

...notice how you didn't name you know... one specific race in your examples?

Taichu said:

That's being a tad too naive don't you think?

Triumph

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Why? I'm serious

While what they did was tasteless to say the least, I certainly don't see anything that could be used as evidence to suspend these kids from college.

cue the Carlton pictures, but I don't care

Well, since I promised not to call you Carlton I have no recourse...

107vc.jpg

Aske

I think it's reasonable for people to be offended by these students if they feel any expression of racial stereotypes is inherently bad for society. There's good logic behind that position. However some of the comments posted here make me wonder how many of you live in the real world. There are degrees of racism. White people who disrespect black people on a racial level are not the same as white people who would vote against Obama due to his ethnicity, or who would assume their black co-workers were intellectually inferior, or who would express any of the other dozens of thoughts and behaviours that are in genuine opposition to members of another race. You don't have to be hateful to be ignorant, callous, or unconcerned about causing offence in a given situation.

I'm wowed by the people who are wowing the pleasant looking girl dressed as Aunt Jemima. I don't know where the picture comes from - she could be the daughter of some Klan grandmaster for all I know - but she doesn't seem to express the smug knowledge of someone making a controversial ideological statement. She seems like a happy, racially unconcerned girl who is dressed like the woman on the syrup bottle. There's a big difference between racist and racially unconcerned mentalities.

Every single student involved in these "parties" should be expelled from school and dragged through the mud from the back of a tractor while being beaten with every blunt object handy.

Then maybe they'll understand a little more about the world and the history they're dealing with.

If anyone lets them live, they should thank their lucky stars that they have received far more kindness than they deserve.

These people have abandoned all sense of human decency and morality and should die like pigs.

Kill 'em all.

edit: And anyone defending their actions on GAF deserves a permaban, IMO.

Aske

Greenpanda said:
Every single student involved in these "parties" should be expelled from school and dragged through the mud from the back of a tractor while being beaten with every blunt object handy.

Then maybe they'll understand a little more about the world and the history they're dealing with.

If anyone lets them live, they should thank their lucky stars that they have received far more kindness than they deserve.

These people have abandoned all sense of human decency and morality and should die like pigs.

Kill 'em all.

So true. And we should probably advocate bans for anyone who makes fun of Jesus and the Christians. Don't they know anything about the world and the history they're dealing with? Also cancer patients, AIDS victims, soldiers, and the people of Iraq.

I love that those who mock black people on MLK day are literally incurring the same vitriol as the ethnic cleansers of the world.

Aske said:
I love that those who mock black people on MLK day are literally incurring the same vitriol as the ethnic cleansers of the world.

Uh, they ARE the ethnic cleansers of the world.

You don't think the mindset is identical?

Xenon

Greenpanda said:

Kill 'em all.

^ At least people are not over reacting....:lol

College kids do dumb shit. This was pretty ****ing dumb. There should be some sort of punishment. Kicking them out of school would not help them understand wtf they did wrong.

weepy

Aske said:

But don't you think it's the least bit ignorant for those student to even throw that type of party, all that were missing were them in black-face. I'm almost positive that they knew what they were doing. Was it meant to be mean-spirited? Who knows, but it's about as tasteless as telling a racial joke at work. Sure it's not as bad as them screaming white power and trying to rid the world of us but these seem like the very same people that would deny me a job despite my qualifications because they think I act like what those pictures depict.

weepy said:
But don't you think it's the least bit ignorant for those student to even throw that type of party, all that were missing were them in black-face. I'm almost positive that they knew what they were doing. Was it meant to be mean-spirited? Who knows, but it's about as tasteless as telling a racial joke at work. Sure it's not as bad as them screaming white power and trying to rid the world of us but these seem like the very same people that would deny me a job despite my qualifications because they think I act like what those pictures depict.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom