• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The anti-region fanboy thread

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I can't be fair to this game. I did try it but couldn't be fuked to care about it after the introduction and following half hour of gameplay. It could be good? I dunno.

This is a joke right? He said not D&D. It also has one of the most awkward UIs ever in a game.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
This game, I liked. Could have been a lot better, but they tried. I wish the Vampire: The Masquerade license was used more. :(

My love for the Fallout series is limited. But I can see why it would excite you if you're stuck in the "Lolz JRPGs only have spikey hair angsty characters" mindset.

:lol As if there wasn't a more tiring IP than Star Wars. Hey look - it's Baldur's Gate, IN SPACE!
Really, what I want out of western RPGs is like, the Oblivion engine with an interesting scenario, like Vampire. I'm sure there might be a mod or something for Oblivion, but ****. My PC can't run it and damned if I'm upgrading for a mod for one game. :/

IAmNude

Banned
Western games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eastern games.
The only eastern games I like are Dead Risng and MGS

RevenantKioku said:
My love for the Fallout series is limited. But I can see why it would excite you if you're stuck in the "Lolz JRPGs only have spikey hair angsty characters" mindset.

Fallout is really great because of it's originality. I can't really think of another game that did the post apocolyptic thing so well as Fallout. Give it a try I promise you'll like it

:lol As if there wasn't a more tiring IP than Star Wars. Hey look - it's Baldur's Gate, IN SPACE!

Have you played it? The story is amazing, better than most of the movies combined.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ElectricBlue187 said:
Fallout is really great because of it's originality. I can't really think of another game that did the post apocolyptic thing so well as Fallout. Give it a try I promise you'll like it
You lose!
I've tried it and didn't like it.

Have you played it?
I did. I enjoyed being the unique diamond in the rough hero who didn't know it. Very unique.
The story is amazing, better than most of the movies combined.
Oh yeah. That's tough.

Dragona Akehi said:
This thread is sure to end well.
Please don't close it. :( I've been feeling the need to "act a fool up in here" for a while now.
Plus, my opinion is even better with my Mana avatar!
Himuro said:
It's like you guys have missed the point of this thread!
I've always wanted to quote a post from the future!
You knew it was going to get stupid when you were writing it up, Himu. Don't deny it. We can only roll with the punches and needlessly slander our opponents with our wit or lack of.
I was going to say something about the "hearing the lamentations of their women" but Dragona would ban me. :X

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ZeromusMog said:
Planescape Torment - I might as well get my ****ing star trek uniform on and hit on girls while buying the entire highlander DVD set at the mall. Just not my cup of tea.

You're posting about RPGs on a gaming message board, talking knowledgeably about Final Fantasy, and raging that the Star Wars franchise has become tired. I'd say you're pretty safe from girls as it is.

DCharlie

Banned
my favourite moment from visiting home :

Two chavs in a game store in Carlisle ...

Chav 1 : Cool... Mace Griffizzz ... My mate says this is awesome, you can carry 8 shotguns at the same time and kill loads of people...
Chav 2 : *picks up game* What about this one?
Chav 1 : Oh... it's one of those f*cking jap games, i f*cking hate jap games.
Chav 2 : *puts SUDEKI back on the shelf*

Kangu

Banned
I think there are obvious differences in the way games are designed by eastern developers vs. western developers. Personally being a dinosaur I prefer traditional eastern action-adventure games with standard level progression, some power ups, and plenty of pattern based bosses sprinkled throughout. Painfully hard and 2-d earn the developer bonus points!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
iapetus said:
You're posting about RPGs on a gaming message board, talking knowledgeably about Final Fantasy, and raging that the Star Wars franchise has become tired. I'd say you're pretty safe from girls as it is.

:lol well done, sir.

this thread is pretty gross. I guess there's not a lot of support for the op.

Last Hope

Most games are similar no matter where they are developed. Then there are very few that you know come from Japan. Most Japanese developed games are similar to any other game.

Anyway, if I give Japanese credit for something, it is that most of them strive to get 60fps. All frame rate whores can agree about that even though many including me don't care for Japanese specific games.

Mojovonio

Banned
If your main charecter resembles this in every game...

ffx_img1.jpg

I hate you.

Blimblim said:
Ancel is in Montpellier, in the southern part of France. There are 3 french studios at Ubisoft, Montpellier (Rayman, BG&E, King Kong), Annecy (Splinter multiplayer) and Montreuil near Paris (GRAW 360 single player, Red Steel)

Is the Paris studio Tiwak or are they still a studio on their own?

I don't really see a difference between jRPGs and wRPGs. They both result in you getting bored and realizing how much time you are wasting. Both sides have occasional titles that are marginally entertaining before you realize this, but it's inevitable. wRPGs are typically better because when you get the idiotic urge to play the game again you can select some other combination of equally boring statistics and pretend you bought a new game.

Gigglepoo

Son of Godzilla said:
I don't really see a difference between jRPGs and wRPGs.

Generally speaking, Western RPG are about freedom of choice and customization, whereas JRPGs are about character development and plot.

flood

Generally speaking, Western RPG are about freedom of choice and customization, whereas JRPGs are about character development and plot.
I totally disagree with this statement. I think western rpgs and japanese rpgs have all those attributes you just said but they both tend to focus more on different aspects. I used to play alot of jrpgs when I was younger until I played BG1 and was hooked from than on to the whole multiple story line thing, something that ff1,2,3 never offered. Than Square I guess started to catch on and in FF7 they did a bit of the whole make ur choice deal but it really wasn't the same. I guess in the end its about which one you feel more immersed in.

ZeromusMog said:
EDIT - There was a western RPG made for the PC once that I really liked but never got far in. It had like layered worlds and stuff and was kind of like a PC-western Final Fantasy VII. I never got around to getting far in it though and I can't remember what it was called :( I was sad that it did terribly, as I was really looking forward to more games like that.

The game you are thinking of is septerra core

[edit] wow this topic was old, why the hell was this bumped

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My big problem with Western RPGs are that the freedom makes them much too overwhelming for me... just way too much to do, and I hate not feeling like I'm making any kind of progress. Not to mention, most of them have annoying interfaces, especially considering I've grown up with the streamlined JRPG menu systems. Ahhh well, I'll stick with the Japanese ones.

This is generally speaking, since not all JRPGs or WRPGs are like this, but on the whole, I prefer anime style aesthetics and character designs (as long as they're not FFX levels of fruity) to D&D inspired settings.

SpacLock

I noticed this too. After hearing Gaf talk about it so much I finally played Yakuza and it was by far one of the shittiest games i've played in a long time. I don't understand why people hyped it up.

Top Bottom