• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who care - all 291 DBZ episodes remastered in season sets starting February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugen

Banned
I used to love this series when I was a kid. And no, not even nostalgia will bring me back to this one, it's a really bad anime.

Jado

Banned
Snaku said:
image comparison stuff

Holy shit. Does that SUCK or what... and I was really looking forward to this finally coming out. Blah. Pass
unless I come across it really cheap some day

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love me some DBZ, but Funi ****ed it up, AGAIN.

No sale, no matter how cheap these sets are, they are rendered cheap pieces of shit because of the cropping. Of course, there won't be much of an outcry "because it's DBZ."

Novid

Banned
Link said:
So did they include both the original English VA's and the newer English VA's? Because the originals were a whole lot better. All the newer guys sound like they're trying way too hard to sound tough, especially Vegeta and Piccolo.

If your talking about Saban's VA's- Im not sure. Those VA tapes might be in Limbo between Disney, Saban and Funi.

As for the actual transfer, Funi doesnt have the tools to pull it off- They needed the people that worked for the Loony Toons Golden Collection to help them out- that how ALL animation should be handled in the digital era regardless of artistic merit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mugen said:
I used to love this series when I was a kid. And no, not even nostalgia will bring me back to this one, it's a really bad anime.

It is depressing that so many people seem to have not clued into this fact.

Snaku

Banned
Mugen said:

Shard said:
It is depressing that so many people seem to have not clued into this fact.

For those who care

24spoaq0.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes, your mastery of using 24 gifs instead of actual words is unparalleled. Anyway, arguments about quality aside, how many times has DBZ been released on various formats?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Listen to me carefully.....

DO---NOT---BUY---THIS---SET--!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm serious! The amount of content missing in each frame is SIGNIFICANT! Check out these pics and threads:

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-4.jpg

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-9.jpg

chalacrop5ke.jpg

oolongcrop0wl.jpg

krillincrop9oi.jpg

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-1.jpg

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-2.jpg

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-4.jpg

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC5-20.jpg

*AnimeOnDvd thread*

*daizex thread*

*Funimation DB Universe thread*

I'M SO HOT UNER THE COLLAR RIGHT NOW I WANNA STRANGLE SOMEBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This release is a ****ing DISASTER!!!

Seriously anyone who buys this garbage and allows themselves to be aped by FUNI yet again should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!!!!!

master_shake_05, Himuro and bjork:

ya'll my homies and everything, but I swear, being the die-hard DBZ fans you are, if you buy these dvds you are ****ing DEAD TO ME!!!!!!!! I'm hunting down the Dragonbox R2 dvds.

IF YOU LOVE DBZ BUT WANT THE APING OF THE SHOW TO STOP......

DO----NOT-----BUY-----THIS-----****ING-----SHITSTAIN EXCUSE----FOR A DBZ RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They screwed us now and they'll screw us again!!!!

Import the Dragonbox single disc R2 dvds and do not supprot Funimation!!!!!!!!!!!

Snaku

Banned
Yeah, I already posted most of those comparisons, but damn I hadn't seen this one...

That's atrocious.

I'm so glad I just won an auction for Dragon Box 1. Now to hunt down Dragon Box 2, and Dragon Box-The Movies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is why adhereing to the OAR is more important then any sort of widescreen/fullscreen comparison.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Snaku said:
I'm so glad I just won an auction for Dragon Box 1. Now to hunt down Dragon Box 2, and Dragon Box-The Movies.

Lucky bas... :D

Seriously congratulations man. I'd die to own both D boxes. Do you mind if I ask:

1)how long ago you won it?

2)on what site...ebay? amazon?

3)For how much?

If you run into another one please please PLEASE PM me snaku!

isamu said:

Sorry my friend, but I want it. My 2 year old tv, which I like very much and am not ready to give up yet, has some overscan issues that I hadn't realized until this entire mess started. All the screens that the 4:3 Dragonbox sets wouldn't show doesn't show up on my tv. Checking from my previous dvds and tapes, I'd be one of the people who is going to actually freaking end up with a bit more picture than before.

Hell, I didn't even know Yajirobe was even in that picture with Kami-sama from the Zenkai Power ending until the Dragonbox pictures showed up, as he doesn't even appear at all when I watch on tv.

ya'll my homies and everything, but I swear, being the die-hard DBZ fans you are, if you buy these dvds you are ****ing DEAD TO ME!!!!!!!! I'm hunting down the Dragonbox R2 dvds.

And your free to do so, and I hope you've probably tracked some of the scripts that have popped on www.dbzoa.com over the years, as you'll need them since there are no subs on those.

Import the Dragonbox single disc R2 dvds and do not supprot Funimation!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragonbox has no subs, it has no dub(which I do like), and it is too damn expensive for me to even consider, including the singles.

Also, from the DaizEX thread that has apparently been ignored on that site-

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4969&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=440

BlueSunrise said:
I have the set, and I've watched quite a bit of footage.

Packaging - it's better in person. The box is shiny; the orange isn't too great but otherwise the case is quite nice. The booklet is a little wonky, but at least we finally have one! The DVDs are placed in three sections, with 2 discs on each sleeve of the foldout. All of the disks and menus feature the same artwork, which is disappointing.

Widescreen? At first, it was noticeable, because I was specifically looking for particular moments where I'd miss some important elements of the shot. After watching it for a while, it looks like it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. There are a few moments here and there where you can tell that you're missing something (a part of someone's head, for example), but those moments are few and far between, so it's not an enormous deal. Watching it in motion has calmed my nerves about the cropping, and that's a fact. Would I still have preferred full screen? I won't lie; I would have. But I'll take my sets like this; at least we'll have all the episodes in one place, fully uncut, with Japanese audio, and for a reasonable price.

99% of the people out there buying this set won't mind the widescreen at all, and for those of us that do (myself), it's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Colors are a little off, but everything appears a lot sharper than the old footage we had in the US. Lines are more prominent, etc.

As a whole, I'm fairly impressed. It's certainly the best set we've had released so far, so I'm going to enjoy it.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm still getting this set. Seriously, think about how much it would cost to track down and buy all of the full screen versions for the entire series (with different quality audio, no japanese voiceovers, etc.) We get the 36 episodes of the Vegeta saga for $50. If the top of someone's head is cut off for a 2 seconds, then I couldn't care less. Saving money + more voiceovers + better image quality = better than losing a 2 second frame of someone's head

Big-E

BobLoblaw said:
I'm still getting this set. Seriously, think about how much it would cost to track down and buy all of the full screen versions for the entire series (with different quality audio, no japanese voiceovers, etc.) We get the 36 episodes of the Vegeta saga for $50. If the top of someone's head is cut off for a 2 seconds, then I couldn't care less. Saving money + more voiceovers + better image quality = better than losing a 2 second frame of someone's head

Well said.

isamu

Wheeljack539 said:
Sorry my friend, but I want it. My 2 year old tv, which I like very much and am not ready to give up yet, has some overscan issues that I hadn't realized until this entire mess started. All the screens that the 4:3 Dragonbox sets wouldn't show doesn't show up on my tv.

This doesn't make any sense. The dragonbox 4:3 frame doesn't "NOT SHOW" anything part of the picture in the frame. IE, it's all there. Whether your TV set has overscanned issues or not. You'd still get every part of the frame you're supposed to get, period.

And your free to do so, and I hope you've probably tracked some of the scripts that have popped on www.dbzoa.com over the years, as you'll need them since there are no subs on those.

Dragonbox has no subs, it has no dub

C'mon, give me a little credit will ya? Of course I'm aware that it doesn't have subs and an english dub. And no I don't speak a lick of Japanese. So you're probably wondering how I'm going to understand the show then, right? Well I'll tell ya. I'm going to hire a gaffer from Japan who speaks Japanese(probably Blackace or DCharlie) and I am going to have them translate the show for me as I'm watching it.

.......heh heh,

OK, seriously, what I plan on doing is, getting the Dragonbox dvds, then hiring a third party to re-burn the dvds with english subs on them using the scripts you've mentioned. Gonna cost me a few extra hundred bucks but what the hell? It's worth it baby!!!!!!!

it is too damn expensive for me to even consider, including the singles.

You gotta sweat blood and tears to get the things which you love. That is the name of the game, Wheeljack539.

Wheeljack539, do you HONESTLY think DBZ is NOT worth spending a little bit of your life savings for?

Do you really think buying the Dragonbox dvds and then paying someone an additional $1000 cash to re-burn them with english subs is NOT the better alternative?

Do you honestly think supporting Funimation with this botched release makes us, as die-hard DBZ fans, look good?

Do you realize how much you are encouraging Funi to continue to tamper with future editions of this show by buying this release?

Do these things NOT bother you....AT ALL Wheeljack539?

Think about it man. Just do me a flavor and sleep on it.

Docpan

I have the set. Overall, Isamu and the rest of the whiners need to calm down-- the cropping isn't that much of an issue at all. Those screencaps taken by the anal-retentive douchebags over at the Daizenshuu EX forum are picking out the absolute WORST instances of the cropping... Honestly, it's a non-issue. You're never going to miss that little bit on the top and the bottom for the most part.

If you have a widescreen TV, this is going to look marvelous on it. DBZ has never looked so good before. Their remastering process was totally worth it. The colors are very sharp and very clean.... Every previous release pales in comparison to this.

In terms of audio- the 5.1 English Audio with JP background music is a very nice addition.

Overall, it's cheap, the quality is great, and there's 39 episodes. Get it. NOW.

Ponn

Banned
Still picking it up. Several points why.

1) Amazon.com. I can get it for 30 bucks shipped with no tax. I remember back in the day paying that much for a VHS tape with 3 or 4 ****ing episodes per tape.

2) It is Dragonball Z. I don't mean that as a negative, but then again its not Batman Begins or some other movie or TV series i'm looking for that much quality wise.

3) Its WIDESCREEN. I can watch it without stretching on my widescreen TV. I honestly don't give a shit if its cropped or not. Hell I would love a cropped version of Eureka 7 if it could only be in widescreen. I was ecstatic to get to the Justice League Unlimited DVD sets in widescreen.

4) For the anime hardcore there will never, EVERRRRRR be a perfect production or set for Dragonball Z. That series has been bitched about in one form or another for-****ing-ever.

isamu

OK I just heard about a new program called dvdsubber that'll allow you to make your own subbed dvds....what is this all about?

Dead

well not really...yet
4) For the anime hardcore there will never, EVERRRRRR be a perfect production or set for Dragonball Z. That series has been bitched about in one form or another for-****ing-ever.
Dragon Box R2 box sets.

If they're really that hardcore, surely they won't mind paying 500-800 dollars (actually up to $1000 possibly) per boxet to own the entire show right?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Docpan said:
I have the set. Overall, Isamu and the rest of the whiners need to calm down-- the cropping isn't that much of an issue at all. Those screencaps taken by the anal-retentive douchebags over at the Daizenshuu EX forum are picking out the absolute WORST instances of the cropping... Honestly, it's a non-issue. You're never going to miss that little bit on the top and the bottom for the most part.

If you have a widescreen TV, this is going to look marvelous on it. DBZ has never looked so good before. Their remastering process was totally worth it. The colors are very sharp and very clean.... Every previous release pales in comparison to this.

In terms of audio- the 5.1 English Audio with JP background music is a very nice addition.

Overall, it's cheap, the quality is great, and there's 39 episodes. Get it. NOW.

So wait, it's now whining if all we wanted was the show, cleaned up and presented in it's original aspect ratio with all those extras included? Especially when all they really had to do was take the Dragon Box and release it here? That's whining? Doing the common sense thing?

Ok, gotcha.

isamu said:
OK I just heard about a new program called dvdsubber that'll allow you to make your own subbed dvds....what is this all about?

http://www.dvdsubber.com/

I use this for my R1 Godzilla DVDs so that I don't have to put up with Sony's (usually) poor subtitles. You'll need a subtitle file on your hardrive, and the program then plays the disc alongside the new subs. Make sure you turn off the subtitles (if any) you're trying to ignore, though.

Also, you can only play the newly-subbed DVD on your PC. DVDSubber doesn't let you make backups of your discs with removable subs.

And for the record, as much as I despise Funi for all they've done to the DBZ over the years, I'm still getting this boxset. I was one of the biggest Dragonball dorks in school years ago-- watched the Japanese originals on the old International Channel, drew the characters all the time, and had everyone's chi attacks and power levels memorized and everything. I love me some DBZ, but as others have said, I'm just too cheap and lazy to track down and then pay through the nose to get the Dragon Boxes and re-sub them. This is good enough. **** the dubs; I'm just so relieved to finally have the entire series uncut and with Japanese audio and voiceovers here in the States, that I'll go ahead and pick these up, even if it means throwing Funi a bone.

isamu

Spaceman Spiff said:
http://www.dvdsubber.com/

I use this for my R1 Godzilla DVDs so that I don't have to put up with Sony's (usually) poor subtitles. You'll need a subtitle file on your hardrive, and the program then plays the disc alongside the new subs. Make sure you turn off the subtitles (if any) you're trying to ignore, though.

Also, you can only play the newly-subbed DVD on your PC. DVDSubber doesn't let you make backups of your discs with removable subs.

And for the record, as much as I despise Funi for all they've done to the DBZ over the years, I'm still getting this boxset. I was one of the biggest Dragonball dorks in school years ago-- watched the Japanese originals on the old International Channel, drew the characters all the time, and had everyone's chi attacks and power levels memorized and everything. I love me some DBZ, but as others have said, I'm just too cheap and lazy to track down and then pay through the nose to get the Dragon Boxes and re-sub them. This is good enough. **** the dubs; I'm just so relieved to finally have the entire series uncut and with Japanese audio and voiceovers here in the States, that I'll go ahead and pick these up, even if it means throwing Funi a bone.

thanks man :)

Where is Master_shake05 and Himuro?

bjork

isamu said:
master_shake_05, Himuro and bjork:

do what? die hard?

isamu

Snaku said:

Greetings snaku and Happy Black History Month :)

Congratulations man on winning an auction for the ragon Boxes. I'd die to own both D boxes. . Do you mind if I ask:

1)how long ago you won it?

2)on what site...ebay? amazon?

3)For how much?

isamu

Funimation is rumored to make an announcement this summer regarding the boxset.

MaijinVejitaEX is expected to have his video review up sometime today or tomorrow. Initial impressions from him are not favorable to say the least.

ManaByte

Gold Member
isamu said:

I'm serious! The amount of content missing in each frame is SIGNIFICANT! Check out these pics and threads:

DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-4.jpg

Snip

IF YOU LOVE DBZ BUT WANT THE APING OF THE SHOW TO STOP......

DO----NOT-----BUY-----THIS-----****ING-----SHITSTAIN EXCUSE----FOR A DBZ RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They screwed us now and they'll screw us again!!!!

Well, you are the DBZ expert here, so I guess I won't be buying it.

Defuser said:
Damn DBZ,that Goku vs Frieza fight take like forever to finish.

:lol Yes it did! I thought it took 1-2 years to finish the Namek ark. How about bringing the uncensored DragonBall episodes to the U.S.?

Pachinko

Someone oughtta make their own cut of DBZ, the condenced version. From 291 episodes I bet you could edit it into about 100, cut out every single bit of filler that wasn't in the manga and quicken the pace of each fight. If you think of each episode as 22 minutes you can lose 2 minutes by cutting out the opening, ending and recap/next episode preview. That's 26 episodes of time chopped off right there. It would take a bit of work to shorten some stuff down, like needless time spent charging attacks or flying around with no talking, etc. You'd have to play 2 seconds instead of say 10 seconds and edit in sound effects or something.

Even better , edit each storyline into it's own 120 minute movie.

So you'd have a 2 hour film made out of the Saiyan saga containing Goku/piccolo VS raditz, the rest of the crew VS nappa, goku VS nappa, goku VS vegeta and only as much storyline in between as nessecary. Then you'd likely have to make 2 movies for namek/frieza. 1 would have the journey to namek, collecting the dragon balls and all the early fights with the ginyu force and the second would basically be everyone/goku VS freiza.

Then there'd be a movie for the androids and another movie for cell and finally 3 films devoted to majiin buu, the first would have everything up to majiin buu, the second would be the fight with super buu and the 3rd would be the fight with kid buu.

So that'd make 8 movies , ~ 45 episodes or so. Someone do this.

Ryck

Picked this up today anyone having problems playing this on their ps2's? Im getting a distorted picture... I guess I'll have to check it on my normal Dvd player at home.

isamu

Ryck said:
Picked this up today anyone having problems playing this on their ps2's? Im getting a distorted picture... I guess I'll have to check it on my normal Dvd player at home.
Picture is cropped to hell and back, that's why it appears all distorted on your display.

Ryck

isamu said:
Picture is cropped to hell and back, that's why it appears all distorted on your display.
No no I mean a bad bad distortion. The top of the screen is totally messed up the menus and Fbi warnings as well.

isamu

Jason Vorhees' mom's severed head said:
Jeez... you guys suck! Quit caving! Stop buying these things, your sending FUNi the wrong message! Send letters for a fullscreen release! Arrghh!

Am I the only one left not going to buy this? ... *cricket noises*

:cry:

You're not the only one, bro. I'm behind you all the way! Not touching this set with a 10ft pole! It truly saddens me to see so many people caving in, especially those that initially stated they would boycott the release and then changed their minds....*ARGGGH*....talk about hypocrisy in the highest order.

I seriously hope someone at Bandai or ADV is monitoring this fiasco and that one day they'll buy the license from FUNI and do DBZ the right way! What are the chances?

*EDIT*...And guys, one more thing....

I honestly think writing even a paper printed letter to Funi is a waste of time. To be totally frank, I honestly and truly believe they did this widescreen thing DELIBERATELY and out malicious intentions, just to piss off the fans. I would not waste any time with those letters. The guys at Funimation TRULY do not give a shit.

Ryck

Played it on my regular Dvd player and it worked normally. Looks great too the cropping is being overblown imo it looks fine.

Alex

The cropping issue is hilariously overblown, you can barely (if that) tell the difference while watching.

I actually support the wide screen, it's a hell of a lot more noticiable, and some of the environment shots are actually really beautiful despite the age of the show.

Those issued aside, it's an undisputably good set. The cleaned up video is great, and granted I haven't watched Dragon Ball Z in like, years but there is a ton of footage here I've never seen. They really cut the hell out of this thing to air it on TV, not just content wise, but length wise as well it feels like.

And yeah, it seems, to me at least, like it's entirely unedited, no sensitive scenes are cut, it's very, very bloody in certain parts and it doesn't skirt around anything, very different.

I mostly appreciate the track variety. The 5.1 mix keeps the original Orchestral music, but more importantly the ability to watch it with the original language track is nice. I'm not really a big subs guy, I've always been ok with dubs as the few anime I have enjoyed have always had decent dub work, but DBZ had a horrible, horrible dub, especially the later stuff, which is what the dubs here are based on.

But of course, I haven't bought any anime DVD's since like...2000, and the only stuff I've seen since then were Azumanga and Guu when they were fansubbed. I don't think there's been an anime outside of those and since then that hasn't made me want to puke just reading about it.

Oh well, I'm not a big fan, but it's fun to watch again without it all butchered up. 29.99 for like 39 episodes, solid set, good price, anime purists crack me up.

Gattsu25

Banned
stupid thing is, I'll probably end up getting the vegeta saga and the freza saga and watch up til the 6 episode long 5 minute warning before I loose interest in the show

regarding the cropping: who the hell cares? it's DBZ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom