• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 has the highest attach rate of games after 14 months, why is that?

doicare

I was very surprised to read that the xbox360's attach rate was 5.3 games per console after 14 months of being on sale in the u.s.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4487&Itemid=2

That's higher than the ps2, xbox or gamecube managed after 14 months worth of sales in the u.s. I just assumed the xbox360's software line up after 14 months was much better then what the xbox, ps2 or gamecube had after 14 months, but it wasn't, infact in most cases it is much worse then what the other consoles had to offer.

From gamerankings:
Number of xbox360 games rated between:
95% - 100% = 0
90% - 95% = 3
85% - 90% = 8
80% - 85% = 20

90%+ games:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gears of War
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Number of ps2 games rated between:
95% - 100% = 1
90% - 95% = 12
85% - 90% = 11
80% - 85% = 23

90%+ games:
Grand Theft Auto III
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Devil May Cry
SSX Tricky
Madden NFL 2002
SSX
Final Fantasy X
NCAA Football 2002
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
ICO
Madden NFL 2001

Number of xbox games rated between:
95% - 100% = 1
90% - 95% = 3
85% - 90% = 24
80% - 85% = 22

90%+ games:
Halo: Combat Evolved
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
NFL 2K3

Number of gamecube games rated between:
95% - 100% = 1
90% - 95% = 8
85% - 90% = 11
80% - 85% = 12

90%+ games:
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Sunshine
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003
Madden NFL 2003
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Madden NFL 2002
Super Smash Bros. Melee

So when the xbox360's line up of software after 14 months wasn't as good as most other consoles last gen after 14 months why does the xbox360 have the highest attach rate??

Because there's a lot of good games out it. I haven't seen such a good starting year since the Dreamcast. I just got my at the end of last year and I already have like 8 games...

Because most Xbox 360 owners are hardcore gamers.

And also because the Xbox 360 does have alot of awesome games despite what some people will make you believe.

methane47

Marketting... and Brand Loyalty....

Xbox lovers have a huge chip on their shoulders from last generation's Loss....:lol

They're out to prove something

Tieno

I once was above that rate, but now I'm below it since I sold almost every game except for Gears, Oblivion and Viva Pinata...

Wollan

A reason as well is that a lot of early Xbox buyers are hardcore gamers, more so than the other two consoles (as in, casuals could pick up a PS2 with GT3 and that was it for months).

Edit: What were the sales for all of the consoles for the first 14 months?

Here are the reasons I can come up with:
-Hardcore early adopters are big game buyers
-Buyers of a $400 console can afford games (and want games)
-HDTV presents a read advance over old SDTV consoles
-downloadable game demos give purchasers a good feeling of security when plopping down $60 for a game
-Some really good titles available (GoW, R6: Vegas, ES: Oblivion, NBA 2K7, etc.)
-Viral effect of xbox Live (friends convince friends to get the same games in order to play with each other online.)
-Not much non game usage for an xbox 360 (Many PS3 buyers may have picked up a PS3 just as a good cheap Blu-Ray player)

demos probably help a bit. For example, lots of reviewers hated The Outfit, but me and some friends had a hell of a time playing the demo, so that tends to carry more weight when making a purchasing decision.

Funky Papa said:
Wow, that's one of the boldest, bluntests trolling attemps I've seen in months :lol

I think the 360 population is older, and therefore has more coin to expend. The hardware has also seen a very healthy influx of great games since day one at a very stable rate, with no long ass waits in between, unlike the previus gen. It still needs more killer apps than GoW but the software line up is good enough for many people, I guess.

Good point... because the 360 line-up seems to consitently release solid games every month or so... these Hardcore older mature gamers are consitently buying more games. Previous generations only had good games around the holidays... making it more difficult to hand over a wad of cash for 5+ games all at once.

Because of the relative drought of games in the beginning. It gave publishers the ability to market their games to the fullest without much competition: the attention of most Xbox 360 owners was only targeted towards one or two games at the time because of the time between different releases. On top of that, the fact that the available games where generally quite good to very good, did help.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The system hasnt hit the mainstream consumer yet. There are no casuals just buying the system to have it. There are no kids getting the system as presents, playing 1 game, and shelving it for reruns of Power Rangers and Spongbob.

It isn't cheap enough for that, and still isn't see as an "all purpose device" that people would buy to watch HDDVD movies or use its media functions. This is all supported by its monthly hardware numbers.

Hence, the userbase of the system is still "hardcore" and "core" gamers, primarily. So when a decent-to-good game comes up, the majority of the userbase snap it up, because those are the types of users who currently OWN the system.

-Rogue5-

pooteeweet said:
Achievement Whores

But really first next-gen to market, first HDera system... yearly released sequels of previously successful franchises. There are tons of reasons that all contribute.

NinSoX

Banned
Xbox360 games out right now are just plain ****ing fun to play with. Reviewers are too critical for their own good these days so who cares about what they think. I am having more fun with the 360 right now than I had last generation with PS2 and Gamecube.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah, I also think demos are an important factor. I've discovered a few great games that I wouldn't even consider because of them. Right I am hooked to the marketplace, I download and try pretty everything. Sometimes playing is better than reading the best of the reviews.

PkunkFury

the people with the income and desire to buy a 400$ console also have money to buy games regularly. Spending that much means you are indeed a games enthusiast and are willing to spend regularly. As the console price drops and user base increases, attach rate will drop due to more casual players buying consoles

NinSoX said:
Xbox360 games out right now are just plain ****ing fun to play with. Reviewers are too critical for their own good these days so who cares about what they think. I am having more fun with the 360 right now than I had last generation with PS2 and Gamecube.

Now, who am I supposed to believe? You, or some troll that doesn't even own a 360? You see the dilemma, right?

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Great demos, being the first next gen to market.

QFT, over 50% of all the 360 games in retail have demos available for free to anyone with broadband access. Sure a few demos are downright terrible (Sonic), but many are pretty good, in some cases better than the final product. They can definately sway people to purchase games they were on the fence about or get people interested in a game they might not have even considered buying before. I might not have bought Capcom's 360 games had demos not been made available to me.

fse

because gamers in the real world see that 360 is a good platform with great games.
real gamers > gaf perception :eek:?

it's because of Xbox Live

1) preview videos
2) playable demos
3) live aware
4) text messages
5) voice chat

the environment just leads to people meeting and communicating with people who like the same types of games, and planning out purchases together...

it's like that p.diddy promo "it's good to play together"

Barnolde

Banned
Xbox had a high attach rate too. I dunno why it is, older games = more money could be a reason. Maybe the games just get boring quickly.

C4Lukins

I think this says more about how reviews have changed. Just looking at those lists, reviewers gave 90's away like candy just a few years back to every competent sports game. I think critics in general are a lot harsher then they were in the past, and not as easily impressed.

methane47 said:

Xbox lovers have a huge chip on their shoulders from last generation's Loss....:lol

What the **** is this shit?

doicare said:
Right so the answer is the xbox360 is awesome, so awesome.

Pretty much. But thanks for posting this thread.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PkunkFury said:
the people with the income and desire to buy a 400$ console also have money to buy games regularly. Spending that much means you are indeed a games enthusiast and are willing to spend regularly. As the console price drops and user base increases, attach rate will drop due to more casual players buying consoles

I'd make the obvious rebuttal, but it's just too easy. :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The 360 just has tons of good games - plain and simple - there are still even launch games that I still have to get, but I can't believe you actually used Game Rankings as a basis to this already-ridiculous thread...

PhatSaqs said:
We already know 360 owners are sheep and buy anything exclusive what with their 'hive mind' like community.

Wow... for someone called "doicare", he really, really, really seems to care about how good the 360 games are selling! You should call yourself "icare2much" instead...

Tieno

methane47 said:

50% of the xbox 360 userbase didn't have an xbox.

Xamdou

Demos, Achievements, Marketing and the legend that is Xbox Live contribute to the higher game attach rate for the Xbox 360 :)

The 360 is the definitive hardcore gamers' system.

Through good marketing as well as XBOX Live, Microsoft has established a fanbase that will follow the market and each big name release and buy them accordingly. This is why attach rates are so high.

The problem with this is that the 360 market will presumably not grow much beyond this demographic. While Microsoft is trying to expand its reach with titles like Viva Pinata, they are being pushed aside because the general 360 fan does not want them. Therefore, the 360 will continue to be host to games that "Preach to the choir"; i.e: games that the hardcore will snap up, but not convert people who didn't already have interest in the console.

There is a precedent for this in the industry; The Cube was the same breed of console; one that gave the hardcore masses what they wanted but failed to do much to entice people who weren't already interested.

doicare

Skilotonn said:
The 360 just has tons of good games - plain and simple - there are still even launch games that I still have to get, but I can't believe you actually used Game Rankings as a basis to this already-ridiculous thread...

And hey Odysseus, I'd figured by now that even you'd be tired of your act by now, damn.

Wow... for someone called "doicare", he really, really, really seems to care about how good the 360 games are selling! You should call yourself "icare2much" instead...

Your tag says it all really.

Cheeto

Who cares why? All this means is a snowballing effect of more and more software. Many crap titles, but looking at it statiscally the more overall titles you get the more chance for greatness to sneak in there.

rage1973

Hard core gamers buy more games. 360 owners are generally older than the average playstation and nintendo owners and have more disposable income. This is also the first time demos have been available to the majority of the console owners. I am also from PC gaming where hardcore users go from big release to big release buying up all new games which is what we are seeing with 360 users.

That it was online from day one probably has something to do with it. It's much easier to purchase a game knowing you'll get a ton of playtime from the online modes.

Rhindle

DeaconKnowledge said:
The problem with this is that the 360 market will presumably not grow much beyond this demographic. While Microsoft is trying to expand its reach with titles like Viva Pinata, they are being pushed aside because the general 360 fan does not want them. Therefore, the 360 will continue to be host to games that "Preach to the choir"; i.e: games that the hardcore will snap up, but not convert people who didn't already have interest in the console.

There is a precedent for this in the industry; The Cube was the same breed of console; one that gave the hardcore masses what they wanted but failed to do much to entice people who weren't already interested.
*boggle*

Yup, the 360 and the Cube are precisely identical. 360's getting nothing but first party titles and a few quirky third party niche games. As opposed to the wealth of content coming to the other platforms.

Top Bottom