• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? Virtua Tennis 3 for the 360 to be 1080p (and Live details)

Xamdou

The Xbox 360 version will have exclusive Xbox Live online tournaments and modes, whilst the Playstation 3 version will incorporate the option to control the game using the Sixaxis motion-sensitive controller.

RavenFox

Banned
NO ONLINE? BOOOOO
Thats a big uppercut for Sony. Virtua Tennis online would have been great. WTF is going on why they cant get this going?

thirty

Banned
don't blame sega. the producers have openly said that sony has been severely behind with their online tools.

KTallguy

Banned
Jim said:
Xbox 360 and PSP versions are online; PS3 is NOT - at all.
But, ironically, it's the Sumo-developed versions that have online play (Xbox 360, PSP).
AM3 better get their ass in gear in regards to online functionality...

Wow, that's kind of sad. I hope this changes.

Sumo Digital did a good job with Outrun 2006 but the online play was pretty horrible. I hope that with MS support the netcode will be better with VT3.

RavenFox

Banned
thirty said:
don't blame sega. the producers have openly said that sony has been severely behind with their online tools.
Yup thats what I was inquiring but I can see how it look like I was blaming Sega. You know I dont get it at times. You have Tony Hawk without online. Then we have the interview where Phil said that was there choice and now Virtua Tennis croaks on online. INSOMNIAC WHY CANT THEY ALL BE LIKE YOU? :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
sega.com's VT3 page still lists 1-4 online for PS3 and 8 player online tournaments for Xbox Live.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
No online for PS3 sucks. Resistance supports HOW many folks online?

What's really bad about the whole thing, is how well everything could've gel'd, if the Playstation 3 version DID have online capabilities. How awesome would it have been to have a X360 and play against a challenger with a PS3. Leaderboards and ranked games would only work with other 360 players, but regular player matches could be played against either console.

Ah well. Staying on topic, 1080p doesn't really interest me, considering that my tele only supports 480p, 540p, and 1080i (but accepts 720p). My next TV will probably be a 720p screen. But the online feature is huge. I also hope that you can do doubles over linked X360s. That would make for some interesting LAN partying...

Jim

thirty said:

Yet Sidhe interactive had no problem implementing it in Gripshift, their recently released low-budget PSN title.

You are living in the past. It WAS the case a year ago, but not now. But it's fricken Tennis! And it's online on the PSP (which uses similar tools).

In this case, I blame AM3. Those internal Sega teams have a weird apprehension about online functionality right now.

levious said:
sega.com's VT3 page still lists 1-4 online for PS3 and 8 player online tournaments for Xbox Live.

Read it carefully. You could infer that it COULD be 1-4 online for the PS3, but it's only 1-4 players offline.

Xbox 360™
1-4; 1-8 online

PSP® system
1; 1-8 online

PLAYSTATION®3
1-4

Shompola said:
Wrong thread. This is about VT3. Check the thread title.

I was asking because people are making this game out to be the first 360 game to support 1080p, but LP says it supports it on the back of the box.

Also I guess the rating system works because everyone I've seen with a red box by their name always makes some stupid reply.

KTallguy

Banned
mr jones said:
I also hope that you can do doubles over linked X360s. That would make for some interesting LAN partying...

You can do doubles on one screen. There's no splitscreen in VT.

RavenFox said:
INSOMNIAC WHY CANT THEY ALL BE LIKE YOU?

You really can't compare second-party and third-party development. Resistance was Sony's high-profile launch exclusive and they will throw resources that way. Virtua Tennis 3 is one of dozens of cross-platform titles from autonomous publishing houses.

unomas

Banned
Before everyone freaks out about the lack of PS3 online......maybe MS gave them the giant moneyhat to keep the 360 version as the only version with online play? Just a thought.

KTallguy

Banned
unomas said:
Before everyone freaks out about the lack of PS3 online......maybe MS gave them the giant moneyhat to keep the 360 version as the only version with online play? Just a thought.

As Jim put it, many of Sega's divisions are just apprehensive about online play. For no good reason.

Sumo has experience building online netcode so MS is probably helping them along as well.

Barnolde

Banned
SlaughterX said:
I was asking because people are making this game out to be the first 360 game to support 1080p, but LP says it supports it on the back of the box.

Sonic and Superman also said 1080p on the back of the box, but like Lost Planet, it's not native 1080p, just upscaled. VT3 is the first 1080p native 360 game.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
You really can't compare second-party and third-party development. Resistance was Sony's high-profile launch exclusive and they will throw resources that way. Virtua Tennis 3 is one of dozens of cross-platform titles from autonomous publishing houses.

Err, it's not like Resistance is the only PS3 game with online play. Sega's own Full Auto 2 has it and so will Armored Core 4, AM3 are just being fussy. I'm positive if Sumo did the PS3 version it would have online play.

lilltias

unomas said:

Yeah! That's probably it! MS just keeps shoveling out those gigantic moneyhats. :lol

Red Blaster said:
Err, it's not like Resistance is the only PS3 game with online play. Sega's own Full Auto 2 has it and so will Armored Core 4, AM3 are just being fussy. I'm positive if Sumo did the PS3 version it would have online play.

He was asking why they aren't like Insomniac. Do you honestly think that Insomniac would have even been allowed to release Resistance as an offline-only title?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Jim said:
Read it carefully. You could infer that it COULD be 1-4 online for the PS3, but it's only 1-4 players offline.

oh, was it changed? Could have sworn it had online next to all three at one point.

RavenFox

Banned
Barnolde said:
Sonic and Superman also said 1080p on the back of the box, but like Lost Planet, it's not native 1080p, just upscaled. VT3 is the first 1080p native 360 game.
Interesting to hear and quite curious to see how it pans out. I guess VGA only? Or will they announce a new cable shortly to back this game up?

Steroyd

thirty said:

And yet various other third party devs were able to get online.

Hell the PSP version has online.

I'm personally not bothered about online in Sports games i've only used online in Pro Evo once ever.

thirty

Banned
Steroyd said:
And yet various other third party devs were able to get online.

Hell the PSP version has online.

I'm personally not bothered about online in Sports games i've only used online in Pro Evo once ever.

the psp online has nothing to do with ps3 online. sega isn't the first 3rd party to cry foul about the lack of online tools for the ps3, activision said sony lagged providing tools for tony hawk too.

unomas

Banned
NinjaDOF[MSV] said:
Yeah! That's probably it! MS just keeps shoveling out those gigantic moneyhats. :lol

Well, MS did have Sega in it's back pocket when the original Xbox launched. You have to wonder when the PSP version has it, but the only console version that gets it is 360. Either way I'm gettin it so I'm a happy camper, I probably wouldn't even buy VT3 if it wasn't for the online play.

Shompola

Banned
SlaughterX said:

Also I guess the rating system works because everyone I've seen with a red box by their name always makes some stupid reply.

There is nothing new about Xbox 360 games being upscaled. Do you remember the I believe it was fall update which among other things had a support for 1080P scaling? VT3 is completely different (native resolution) unless SEGA is deceiving us.

And please... I hardly make stupid posts. But for your information, I openly criticized the moderation on this board hence of why I got "black listed".

RavenFox said:
Interesting to hear and quite curious to see how it pans out. I guess VGA only? Or will they announce a new cable shortly to back this game up?

Well there is component over 1080P. If your tv supports it that is.

Steroyd

thirty said:
the psp online has nothing to do with ps3 online. sega isn't the first 3rd party to cry foul about the lack of online tools for the ps3, activision said sony lagged providing tools for tony hawk too.

When did Tony Hawk launch compared to VT3?

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
I'll clear something up, VT3 Xbox 360 does run in 1080p natively and at 60fps. This is with 2xAA too :)

It's not like existing games which get upscaled when you choose 1080p in the Dash.

That is all :)
---
S0L
---

RavenFox

Banned
Shompola said:
There is nothing new about Xbox 360 games being upscaled. Do you remember the I believe it was fall update which among other things had a support for 1080P scaling? VT3 is completely different (native resolution) unless SEGA is deceiving us.

And please... I hardly make stupid posts. But for your information, I openly criticized the moderation on this board hence of why I got "black listed".

Well there is component over 1080P. If your tv supports it that is.
Well I want to know if this is in the same class as video. I wrote about the hz range needed to do true 1080p over component 1 page back. Now what I want to know is are we getting a DVI cable..something since this news of native 1080p? Im still weary of the 360 doing this.

S0L said:
I'll clear something up, VT3 Xbox 360 does run in 1080p natively and at 60fps. This is with 2xAA too :)

It's not like existing games which get upscaled when you choose 1080p in the Dash.

That is all :)
---
S0L
---
Damn SOL more details man:D

Zep

Banned
Jim said:
Yet Sidhe interactive had no problem implementing it in Gripshift, their recently released low-budget PSN title.

You are living in the past. It WAS the case a year ago, but not now. But it's fricken Tennis! And it's online on the PSP (which uses similar tools).

In this case, I blame AM3. Those internal Sega teams have a weird apprehension about online functionality right now.

Jim, didnt you say Microsoft paid EA to keep demos timed exclusive on XBL? Whats stopping them from doing the same on VT3? Besides the obvious(retail vs. demo)

Jim

Big Zep said:
Jim, didnt you say Microsoft paid EA to keep demos timed exclusive on XBL? Whats stopping them from doing the same on VT3? Besides the obvious(retail vs. demo)

I didn't say that, EA did. And I have no idea if money had anything to do with it.
"NBA Street Homecourt demo is Xbox Live exclusive" was the extent of the information.

I would likely chalk the decision of not having online up to the developer: AM3 for the online-less PS3, and Sumo Digital for the online-enabled Xbox 360, PSP versions.
Sumo has a lot of experience with it, AM3 does not.

SOL: Any thoughts on that? :)

Mmmkay

Some 360 screenshots (allegedly):
vt3-1.jpg

vt3-2.jpg

The online gameplay for Virtua Tennis 3 consist of a number of features set to make the most of the Xbox Live network. Players can take part in Ranked or Friendly modes, and enter Exhibition games or Tournaments in both singles and doubles matches across the Live network. The all new VT:TV real-time spectator mode allows players to view their friends or other top-ranked players compete in tournaments, adding an all new strategy in sizing up the next opponent.
Good, more games should have a spectator mode and a set-up for tournaments. Dead or Alive 4 did it, Table Tennis did it, PGR 3 sorta did it and I think Forza 2 will do it too. Haven't played a Virtua Tennis before, so I'm picking this up unless it really sucks.

1080p is overrated anyway, don't care about that.

RavenFox said:

For the last time, there are TVs that support 1080p over VGA or component:

http://www.nextag.com/Westinghouse-LVM-42w2-42-88908953/prices-html

None of the Sony TVs do.

The Westinghouse 1080ps all do.

In either case, 360 (or the HD-DVD player) will only upscale DVD content over VGA, but it is more than capable of displaying games, WITHOUT THE HD-DVD add-on, in 1080p over component and VGA.

MS added 1080p compatibiliity during the fall update in November:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/30/xbox-360-fall-update-details-revealed-1080p-auto-download-wmv/

But to date, this has only allowed for 1080p upscaling (as all 360 games, until now, were 720p native) and 1080p movie playback (with the HD-DVD player). A flurry of games that arrived after the fall update (Sonic, Superman, I guess now Lost Planet) began putting this on the case as a marketing bullet point, but they were all native 720p.

Now, Sega is pointing out in this press release, that they have designed the first 360 game to be natively 1080p, meaning that it's not upscaled, similar to Ridge Racer 7 and NBA 07 on PS3.

The rumored redesigned 65nm/HDMI/120GBHDD 360 that's been floating around the web, if it ever materializes, will completely eliminate the current limits of the 360's 1080p output for TV's that only support digital connections.

Shompola

Banned
RavenFox said:
Well I want to know if this is in the same class as video. I wrote about the hz range needed to do true 1080p over component 1 page back. Now what I want to know is are we getting a DVI cable..something since this news of native 1080p? Im still weary of the 360 doing this.

The console itself has no problem achieving it internally... I mean it can do through VGA and upscaling has also allready been demonstrated. XNA racer, although a 30fps game runs in native 1080P. I do not know if XNA racer was tested with VGA or Component, but I do suspect that it was VGA.

And afaik there are component cables that support frequency ranges beyond what 1080P demands. Does the provided Xbox 360 component support it? I would think so.. I do not think it would get un-noticed if it didn't, especially considering that the console suppots 1080P upscaling through component. Atleast one person must have tested a 60fps game upscaled to 1080P through component?

frunty

Sho_Nuff82 said:
For the last time, there are TVs that support 1080p over VGA or component:

http://www.nextag.com/Westinghouse-LVM-42w2-42-88908953/prices-html

None of the Sony TVs do.

My 52" U.S. spec Sony Bravia handles 1080p over component fine. The 40" and 46" models do not support it though. I also have the plain XBR2 model, but the specs are the same as the XBR3 except for the piano black finish, black remote, and 18-month warranty. Have a look:

The back panel (1080p supported):
xbr1.jpg

The owner's manual, page 52:
xbr2.jpg

XB360 booted up in dash:
xbr3.jpg

KingJ2002

Now thats what im talking about sega... i really cant wait for virtua tennis. VT:TV sounds pretty damn cool. I hope that they will do the same for virtua fighter 5 ( i know... i know... but VF 5 online needs to happen on the 360 so VF: TV can come to consoles too.)

as for the 1080p... does samsungs support 1080p over component?

Bebpo

Banned
No online is just AM3 being a Japanese developer vs. Sumo being a Western developer. Sumo knows how to do online like most Western developers and so their version of VT3 has online, AM3 is the typical Japanese developer with no idea how to make online in their games and so there is no online in their version of VT3.

This isn't an X360/PS3 thing, it's a Western/Eastern developer thing.

Japanese developers need to get on the ball with online play in general. They're years behind because very few PS2 games were online, while in the West Xbox and PC games were full of online play. This is going to bite Japanese developers in the ass just as much as not understanding shaders.

KingJ2002 said:
Now thats what im talking about sega... i really cant wait for virtua tennis. VT:TV sounds pretty damn cool. I hope that they will do the same for virtua fighter 5 ( i know... i know... but VF 5 online needs to happen on the 360 so VF: TV can come to consoles too.)

as for the 1080p... does samsungs support 1080p over component?

Unless Sumo Digital is porting VF5 (and graphically I don't think people would want that in a game like VF5), it's not going to happen.

Top Bottom