• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard: consoles soon obsolete, becoming one with PCs

Blizzard's Itzik Ben Bassat has suggested that consoles are becoming more and more like PCs - to the point where they could be obsolete within as little as five years.

Ben Bassat, who is Blizzard's VP of business development and international, observed, "The PC is becoming an entertainment hub - you use it to watch videos and TV, play games, listen to music... With wireless, you can send your content from your PC to anywhere in the house, to your TV, something I already do. You can play PC on your TV because it's an LCD screen.

"Consoles are becoming sophisticated PCs which sit in the living room... We'll have to see how all this develops. Maybe in five years you won't need a console because you'll have one PC which delivers content all over your house."

Ben Bassat confirmed that Blizzard has no plans to bring hugely popular MMORPG World of Warcraft to consoles - but did say that the company is keeping a close eye on the next-gen machines, particularly with regard to the online space.

"Online console gaming is still in its very early stages, and it needs to be developed further to provide opportunities of a scale which will be interesting to us," he explained.

"So when we come to develop a new game we will look at the kind of opportunities that exist out there and what we want to develop, and if it could be interesting on console. We should remember that a 360 is just a sophisticated PC."

Ben Bassat said he has not seen enough of Sony's online service for PlayStation 3 to be able to evaluate it - but he was full of praise for Microsoft and Xbox Live Arcade.

"Personally I love XBLA - I think Microsoft has done an excellent job developing it and there are lots of exciting things there," he stated.

"I'm very impressed, I'm impressed by the people who do it, and the service is very easy, very intuitive. I love it."

Ben Bassat's comments came in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, part one of which is published today - visit the site tomorrow to read part two.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22605

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Until there is a way to completely control a PC from my couch without ever having to use a keyboard and a mouse, consoles won't be obsolete.

Yea this would be Win win for everyone and it would be all about the game developers no longer people crying over which console is superior.

No.1

I don't think this is out of the question. Considering that all current consoles (360, PS3 & Wii) are pushing for PC-like entertainment - demos, television shows, movies, games, internet etc - I'd imagine consoles will eventually be variations of your typical PC. I'd imagine controllers & exclusive software will still be there, but with the increase appeal in entertainment hubs, consumers just want something that does everything for them, boarding on being a PC.

Aaron

No.1 said:
I don't think this is out of the question. Considering that all current consoles (360, PS3 & Wii) are pushing for PC-like entertainment - demos, television shows, movies, games, internet etc - I'd imagine consoles will eventually be variations of your typical PC. I'd imagine controllers & exclusive software will still be there, but with the increase appeal in entertainment hubs, consumers just want something that does everything for them, boarding on being a PC.
More likely it'll completely replace the need for a PC for most people since it'll be easier to deal with, and buying an HP or whatever crap most consumers get will feel redundant.

Haunted

Aaron said:
More likely it'll completely replace the need for a PC for most people since it'll be easier to deal with, and buying an HP or whatever crap most consumers get will feel redundant.
So you're saying that consoles will replace the PC? I don't think so.

Hehe, the guy sounds a bit silly in the interview IMO. He says stuff like

A lot of people have said that the Internet can only be used to offer things for free - but things like iTunes and WOW have proved this isn't the case."

I mean, WTF? Maybe people thought like this in 1995, but it's 2007 now.

Seriously, the guy sounds like he noticed that the PS3 has a hard drive and can access the internet now and that's very much like a PC :-/ Very shortsighted and silly interview IMO, which is strange considering how awesome Blizzard is.

Consoles will never be obsolete.

reason why: You don't need to upgrade your hardware for a 5 year cycle.

PC wise, I need to upgrade every year.

Console owners don't like to upgrade hardware: Just look what happened with the sega CD and the 32 x.

Don't they mean the other way around? :p The PC is turning into a console and then the console is taking some features of the PC but the main form is still a console.

syllogism

The Bookerman said:
Consoles will never be obsolete.

reason why: You don't need to upgrade your hardware for a 5 year cycle.

PC wise, I need to upgrade every year.

Console owners don't like to upgrade hardware: Just look what happened with the sega CD and the 32 x.

Every year? I upgrade every 3-4 years and it seems console owners don't mind upgrading every 4 years either.

Blimblim said:
Until there is a way to completely control a PC from my couch without ever having to use a keyboard and a mouse, consoles won't be obsolete.
Using the wiimote as a mouse + onscreen keyboard? (I wonder how much time will take to someone releasing a good wiimote copy as PC mouse)

VALIS

Imagine everyone making games for the PC. Go ahead, imagine it.

Nintendo, Blizzard, Bungie, Sony's first parties, Capcom, Konami, Valve, Bethesda, Square Enix, Rare, Rockstar, etc etc etc....

With mod communities for every game...

Imagine...

Imagine...

Imagine all the people, sharing all the worllllllldddd......

john_lennon.jpg

Bloodwake

I think people like spending a little bit of money every five or six years rather than spending various amounts of money every year or so (occasionally buying a new computer rather than upgrading graphics cards or other parts).

The fact is that to get a game to look the best on a PC, you still have to pay for upgrades or new computers much, much more often than you have to pay for new consoles.

If this ever happens, it will be twenty years down the road, if ever. PCs have to get MUCH MUCH more affordable for average consumers to upgrade in order to get the best load times and graphics available on the market. Machines like the PS3 and 360 do this for ridiculously cheap. The manufacturers take a loss on them (especially Sony) but you get stuff that isn't common in computers as of right now for a ridiculously cheap amount. Of course, five or six years from now, PC's will have better specs, but we know that will be about the time the PS4 or Xbox 3 comes out, or the new Nintendo system.

Speaking of Nintendo, that's another reason why consoles won't die soon. Nintendo is very, very innovative, and it would be unheard of to see this type of innovation on PC gaming. Most PC gaming, IMO, follows a few genres that cater to the keyboard: FPS, RTS, "Sim" games, and MMORPGs. It would be hard to imagine the innovation that Nintendo offers such as the Wii Remote being used on the computer on a large scale because of the games offered from PC game publishers/developers at this point. Again, the success of what the PC is already doing isn't helping the market change towards this one PC model at all.

This is yet another reason why I will be a console fan first and foremost and a PC fan second. Most of the best games are being developed for the consoles, and while good games are coming out for the PC, I don't want to pay for expensive PC part upgrades or new computers just to play a single 50 dollar game like Half-Life 2.

PCs and consoles will continue to be separate unless MASSIVE changes take place, none of them on the horizon.

Umm, problem with PCs is the hardware changes too fast, and games aren't created for your specific system.

And perhaps PC gaming should have a significant percent of the market before claims like this are made :p

Safe Bet said:
Translation: Consoles are doing away with the need for over-priced pcs.

Indeed.

Blizzard can come back and tell me this when I can play a PC game without having to install it, without having to go through a lengthy OS start up sequence, without having the possibility of my game looking worse than it does on other machines because I have a different graphics card, when I can easily plug my PC into a TV, when I can use a controller of my choice on PC without having to install driver shit first and when I can get a PC which does all that and is absolutely no bigger or nosier than the current consoles.

Oh, and when the best games are developed solely for PC.

I just can't be bothered with PC gaming. The PC, to me, as a gaming platform is for Football Manager and the occasional piece of downloaded share/freeware.

Safe Bet

Banned
syllogism said:
Every year? I upgrade every 3-4 years and it seems console owners don't mind upgrading every 4 years either.
I think you mean Xbox fans don't mind upgrading every 4 years which is no suprise considering most of them have roots in pc gaming and/or tend to belong to the upper middle class.

Microsoft killed the Xbox far too early and we would have seen more of an outrage over it if Xbox gamers cared more about games and less about 'beating sony'.

I sure hope it doesn't happen. Consoles are nice because the closed system ensures the games always work. You can't have that type of security and control with a PC. Consoles are also more reliable than PCs. Cost is also a hurdle. A nice gaming system capable of PS3/360 graphics would be more expensive than all three consoles combined.

Regardless of what I personally want, it simply won't happen until there is a viable media center computer that can be incorporated in the living room. The initiative is still a mess thankfully.

VALIS

Safe Bet said:
I think you mean Xbox fans don't mind upgrading every 4 years which is no suprise considering most of them have roots in pc gaming and/or tend to belong to the upper middle class.

Microsoft killed the Xbox far too early and we would have seen more of an outrage over it if Xbox gamers cared more about games and less about 'beating sony'.

You're a screaming idiot, you know that?

First you try to establish that something that happened once is a trait and that MS wants to pour millions of dollars into making a new console every 4 years (they certainly do not, no one does) and Xbox fans will buy it every four years.

Second, you come up with some lame ass shit about Xbox fans not caring about games (wha??) and only wanting to beat Sony. Yeah, and to demonstrate their distaste for games, the 360 has the highest attach rate by far in console history. Hurrrrrrr. What the **** is this, GameFAQs? Did you recently have a stroke, maybe?

And before some mod wants to boot me for being a big meanie, maybe you could make this place less of a safe haven for idiots like this to go off and people would generally be more polite to each other, y'know what I'm saying? :) xoxoxo love you long time!

No.1

Bloodwake said:
I think people like spending a little bit of money every five or six years rather than spending various amounts of money every year or so (occasionally buying a new computer rather than upgrading graphics cards or other parts).

The way console gaming is headed, it'll be ultimately the same sort of thing, but you'll be able to access more from your PC (especially at the moment) than what is available in a console.

Anyway, as I said before, home consoles are pretty much an alternative to your typical PC at the moment. The 360 and PS3 mainly can use certain apps much like the PC, download demos, access internet and connect certain devices via USB slots - they are forming into an alternative PC, and the functions will eventually turn into your entertainment hub - much like the PC currently is.

This is my thinking on the future - but I think we'll eventually be able to buy an entertainment hub system and then purchase certain 'channels' that'll give us access to certain type of games - innovative games (Nintendo), educational and your more mainstreamed games. You'll purchase those channels to have access to certain games. I think someone on 1up Yours touched on something similar, but I honestly believe that in another 10-15 years (certainly not 5) we'll have some sort of system like this. You'll be able to tranfer your data around the world (much like a PC), access games, television shows, movies and whatever else.

It's only going to become harder and harder for companies to compete with one another on the console front.

Mandrion

Banned
"Personally I love XBLA - I think Microsoft has done an excellent job developing it and there are lots of exciting things there," he stated.

Diablo 1 for XBOX live arcade confirmed? ;)

Safe Bet

Banned
Mandrion said:
Diablo 1 for XBOX live arcade confirmed? ;)
*drool*

I still don't understand why we haven't seen more 'classics' made available for download on Live Arcade...

I loved playing Doom...

Mr Toast

I think the philosophy behind, and success so far of the Wii, couldnt possibly be a better demonstration that there are many, many consumers diametrically opposed to blizzards claim that consumers want, and consoles are becoming "sophisticated PCs which sit in the living room..."

There is more than one type of gamer out there, and many people don't want that hassle.

Just incase you guys didn't notice but Japan is incapable of making PC games other than dating sims most of the time. All those good ol PC ports of console games didn't turn out so well and Tales of Eternia Online didn't have a resolution beyond 640x480 like most Japanese PC games.

And other than that... I really doubt it'll be all PC gaming in the future. PC's future seems kinda dull as it is. I can't really remember the last time the PC had a AAA game that wasn't somewhere else excluding WoW but then again I hate MMORPGs.

fresquito

Ben Bassat, who is Blizzard's VP of business development and international, observed, "The PC is becoming an entertainment hub - you use it to watch videos and TV, play games, listen to music... With wireless, you can send your content from your PC to anywhere in the house, to your TV, something I already do. You can play PC on your TV because it's an LCD screen.
This guy doesn't know shit about the real world.

If something I see a moment where a new breed of PCs are born, created with the general public in mind, something more in the vein of a media center. As of today, even the most friendly user PC is a hell to the general public.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
im almost positive someone somewhere said the same thing last gen... and the generation before that.

No. I can't be bothered with the hassle of making sure whether or not my system can run a game properly. My gaming philosophy is so centred around convenience that I play handhelds the most, since I can do so anywhere.

Ironically, the only PC games I play are Blizzard games, because they're usually pretty good about making sure any average PC can run their game with little or no issues.

Safe Bet

Banned
fresquito said:
If something I see a moment where a new breed of PCs are born, created with the general public in mind, something more in the vein of a media center.
That's exactly what the 360 should have been...

A ~$500 home media pc with locked hardware specs.

Hell no.

The last thing I need is worrying about whether or not my system can run a game I bought. I believe there are many like me who'd rather save themselves the hassle.

Tobor

I'm done with the PC for gaming. I really want just a nice simple laptop for my pc stuff, and consoles and handhelds for gaming.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Blimblim said:

Precisely.

I don't see it happening. I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Kabouter

syllogism said:

My parent's PC is coming up on 5 years, and I haven't found a PC game that won't run on it.

DarknessTear said:
And other than that... I really doubt it'll be all PC gaming in the future. PC's future seems kinda dull as it is. I can't really remember the last time the PC had a AAA game that wasn't somewhere else excluding WoW but then again I hate MMORPGs.
Europa Universalis III just last month?
Supreme Commander this month?

Durante

DarknessTear said:
I can't really remember the last time the PC had a AAA game that wasn't somewhere else excluding WoW but then again I hate MMORPGs.

2006 only:
Company of Heroes
GTR 2
Medieval 2: Total War
GalCiv 2
Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade
Guild Wars Factions
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Neverwinter Nights 2

And those are just the AAA exclusives, not the AA games or the AAA games that were far better on PC like Oblivion. And 2007 looks even better.

Sorry for the listmania, but you were asking for it. Personally, I would be very happy if all games were released on PC, where I can control with which image quality, resolution, control scheme and mods I want to play. But I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Kabouter

Durante said:
2006 only:
Company of Heroes
GTR 2
Medieval 2: Total War
GalCiv 2
Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade
Guild Wars Factions
Half-Life 2: Episode 1

And those are just the AAA exclusives, not the AA games or the AAA games that were far better on PC like Oblivion. And 2007 looks even better.

Sorry for the listmania, but you were asking for it. Personally, I would be very happy if all games were released on PC, where I can control with which image quality, resolution, control scheme and mods I want to play. But I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

No Anno 1701, boooooooooo.
Best game of 2006 imho, still playing it.

chriskzoo

Banned
Tobor said:
I'm done with the PC for gaming. I really want just a nice simple laptop for my pc stuff, and consoles and handhelds for gaming.

QFT. About a year and a half ago I dumped my home built PC and just got a Mac Mini and have done all my gaming on my 306/PS3 and DS/PSP.

Razoric

Banned
The thread title is flamebait...

The guy is right if you actually read the article. Unless you don't think PS3 and 360 have PC like functions? :lol Also look that the trends for cross platform online games (Shadowrun, Age of Conan), live anywhere, surfing the internet on TV, mouse and keyboard for PS3... Blizzard's stake is in PC and if these trends continue there will be no reason to take the plunge into console gaming as they will soon be one with PC gaming. I fully expect the next Xbox to run a version of Vista and the games to be PC/Xbox hybrids shipped on the same disc using the same code.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm also in the "done with PC gaming" crowd. It's too expensive. It takes too much time to set shit up. I'm tired of monkeying with drivers. I'm tired of incompatibility issues. I'm tired of having to keep up with the Jones' so I can play the latest and greatest games in all their glory. The console model works far better for me. I still use my PC tons, but I just don't game on it.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Seems like a pretty lofty dream to me. I can hardly see Nintendo/Sony deciding to just make their tech on a PC and giving up consoles and the royalties/licensing fees involved.
If anything I believe the oposite. As consoles release more PC like features from web surfing/ streaming, email clients and voice chat I think consoles will turn into the future basic computers ( for light users) I mean why would the typical gamer want to spend the $1000+ it would cost to build a decent PC capable of playing everything from Obvlivion to Marioparty (and keep up with upgrades when they could spend a few hundred dollars on console that can take care of their basic computing needs and gove them 5 years of service.
My buddy was over last night and we were watching Youtube on the Wii and he said he might buy a Wii just for that (and we have been playing Zelda for months now).

Durante

Kabouter said:
No Anno 1701, boooooooooo.
Best game of 2006 imho, still playing it.
I also love it and play it all the time (well, not lately, I've been playing SupCom). But I didn't want to be accused of adding games to the AAA list that were not universally recieved very favourably.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Razoric said:
The thread title is flamebait...

The guy is right if you actually read the article. Unless you don't think PS3 and 360 have PC like functions? :lol Also look that the trends for cross platform online games (Shadowrun, Age of Conan), live anywhere, surfing the internet on TV, mouse and keyboard for PS3... Blizzard's stake is in PC and if these trends continue there will be no reason to take the plunge into console gaming as they will soon be one. I fully expect the next Xbox to run a version of Vista and the games to be PC/Xbox hybrids shipped on the same disc using the same code.

Surfing the net on my TV sucks. I've done it on the PS3 and Wii already and the PC is where it's at for me.

I don't see the next Xbox running Vista, at least not a full blown Vista. If anything, it's going to be custom like it is now. A custom OS is better for gaming IMO.

Razoric

Banned
biggreenmachine said:
Seems like a pretty lofty dream to me. I can hardly see Nintendo/Sony deciding to just make their tech on a PC and giving up consoles and the royalties/licensing fees involved.
If anything I believe the oposite. As consoles release more PC like features from web surfing/ streaming, email clients and voice chat I think consoles will turn into the future basic computers ( for light users) I mean why would the typical gamer want to spend the $1000+ it would cost to build a decent PC capable of playing everything from Obvlivion to Marioparty (and keep up with upgrades when they could spend a few hundred dollars on console that can take care of their basic computing needs and gove them 5 years of service.
My buddy was over last night and we were watching Youtube on the Wii and he said he might buy a Wii just for that (and we have been playing Zelda for months now).

:lol :lol

Are you guys even reading what he said?

Top Bottom