• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

creamsugar

また、今週、DS+DSLの累計販売台数が1,500万台を突破した。

DS + DS Lite > 15 Million :lol

Cosmonaut X said:
No one DS game, but look at how much it dominates the charts - I'd guess the DS software untis sold in the top 30 alone come to over 200,000 easily.

Considering the DS in the top 10 amounted to just under 150k, 200k is certainly well within reach

AdmiralViscen said:
Still down YOY AFAIK.

hmm.. my mistake, I guess it just feels like it's doing better since it's beating the ps2 & ps3.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Taurus said:
Seriously, wtf is this $hit with DS? No DS game sells over 35k that week and we have these crazy hardware sales? Week after week it surprises me...

Look at the freaking top 30! only 7 AREN'T for the DS! That means 23 of the 30 best selling games are for it! Is it so surprising now?

argon

Publisher breakdown

21 Nintendo
8 Sega
3 Capcom
3 Pokemon
2 Marvelous
2 Namco Bandai
2 Square-Enix
1 Atlus
1 EA
1 Hackberry
1 IE Institute
1 Konami
1 MTO
1 Rocket Co.
1 Shogakukan
1 Spike

D.Lo

Awesome work cheeseman. Especially keeping the OP updated, these threads will be excellent archives.

Wii YTD - 603,478
PS3 LTD - 636,292

EDIT: AFAICT, the PS3 has dropped behind the GCN for the same point in it's life?

sphinx

the piano man
argon said:
Publisher breakdown

21 Nintendo
8 Sega
3 Capcom
3 Pokemon
2 Marvelous
2 Namco Bandai
2 Square-Enix
1 Atlus
1 EA
1 Hackberry
1 IE Institute
1 Konami
1 MTO
1 Rocket Co.
1 Shogakukan
1 Spike

good for SEGA. I used to hate them for being stupid but when they went 3rd party I somehow learned to appreciate them. For me NINTENDO and SEGA will always be the 2 titans.

D.Lo said:
EDIT: AFAICT, the PS3 has dropped behind the GCN for the same point in it's life?

I sense some kind of pity for the PS3 here at neogaf. Nobody has jumped with the bomba gifs and stuff. It's like it has turned from hilarity into real sadness and concern.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
piehardwarefeb0511pn3.jpg

piemanufeb0511zd0.jpg

pienextgenltdyt8.jpg

linenextgenltdai6.jpg

The ease with which Nintendo just stepped in and took over the Japanese video game market is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

MrSardonic

linex360vsxboxltdsw8.jpg

linehandheldsltdiq2.jpg

linedsvsps2ltdmd5.jpg

linedsvsps2ltdalinedtb1.jpg

Took the PS2 over 2 years longer than the DS to sell over 15m units! Fastest selling system ever in Japan, by a massive margin

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, so Wii could gain over a million lead over the PS3 before Gundam Musou hits? Crazy.

sphinx

the piano man
MrSardonic said:
Took the PS2 over 2 years longer than the DS to sell over 15m units! Fastest selling system ever in Japan, by a massive margin

is DS in japan the best performing platform in an specific region EVER?

how does it compare to the NES in the US and PS2 in Europe?

MrSardonic said:
snip awesome graphs

wow, those really put things into perspective!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
31. (WII, Nintendo) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

omg, it liiiiiiiiives! (sorta)

jj984jj

PSP will probably start doing better YOY with Tales and MHP2 coming out, question is if it can maintain it after that until FFIAE comes out.

MrSardonic

duderon said:
We need a Wii vs. PS2 and a PS3 vs. GameCube, too.

Too early for either of those graphs. I don't believe there is any M-C data available for the PS2 and GC launch periods (*). There is Famitsu data, which a few members kindly gave me, but I haven't had time to organize it all like I have the M-C data. Those guys (square/josh) might be able to reproduce the graphs you want, but with Famitsu data.

(*) The early PS2 data I'm using is a very rough estimation based on Sony's shipment figures for the time (still available on their site) made to match up with the YTD M-C data I have up until weekly sales data was available. I will eventually model this early period of PS2 sales on Famitsu data when I have the time, but it will only be for asthetic reasons because the actual figures are irrelevant for the long-term 10m, 15m, 20m comparisons these graphs are for (which use weekly data from ~7m PS2 LTD).

MrSardonic

If you look at the DS graph there is a period of ~52 weeks where it is almost exactly linear.

This period of time, between weeks (since launch) 62 and 114, corresponds with the release of the DSL unit after the Xmas 2005 explosion in DS popularity - there have been ~9.11m DS-model units sold in this 12 month period despite continuous shortages!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Heidir said:
DSL 201,177
Wii 78,550
PSP 32,175
PS3 23,431
PS2 16,033
Xbox360 4,811
GBASP 980
GBM 884
GC 383
DS 121
GBA 36
Xbox 360 is too high.

Galactic Fork

MrSardonic said:
linehandheldsltdiq2.jpg

Why do you only put the DS's current total, and leave the PSP and GBA hanging with no total? (You did that in the other graphs too.)

enishi

Since Layton (major advertising title from Nintendo) and Bleach DS2 are coming out this week, we may see DS LTD > GBA LTD next week (of course it mainly depends on how many Nintendo can ship :lol ). At this rate (and DQ IX coming at the end of 2007), DS may catch original Gameboy level (> 30m) in Japan.

PSP will have some good weeks until late of March. MHP2 should be the first million seller (or second if MHP reaches before) and ToD2 has decent sales. Tales and MHP are the 2 main series to support PSP sales in Japan now.

Gundam Musou should do better than VF5 but I might doubt its ability to drive PS3 sales. Of course it will be improved but the amount may not be as significant as someone thinks. Wii should take a larger lead when they release Super Paper Mario (assuming they release the Japanese version in May)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU STOLE MY CHART STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been a jerk to you the past couple weeks, but those charts are good Mr. Sardonic. Keep up the great work.*

*You start doing animated charts and I'll be pissed. ;)

Galactic Fork

enishi said:
Since Layton (major advertising title from Nintendo) and Bleach DS2 are coming out this week, we may see DS LTD > GBA LTD next week (of course it mainly depends on how many Nintendo can ship :lol ).

Layton's published and developed by Level 5.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Was the 3 day weekend included in these numbers? There was pretty much no reason for this hike in DS sales otherwise. Which is really strange.

Galactic Fork

sp0rsk said:
Was the 3 day weekend included in these numbers? There was pretty much no reason for this hike in DS sales otherwise. Which is really strange.

I imagine they just had a bigger shipment than normal.

sp0rsk said:

Production ramping up, perhaps? The chart says 2/5-11, Monday through Sunday.

Good charts, BTW.

jj984jj

Wow, I was just checking to make sure I didn't miss anything but the PSP really does have a bleak line-up in JP when the month ends. Ratchet, Gundam, and FFIAE are the only notable releases for the next two months and only 1 game is new. I think that Namco must be planning to announce more Tales PSP ports on the way so maybe they'll be inserted into the line-up.

famitsu said:
DS - 165.000
Wii - 70.000
PSP - 32.000
PS3 - 23.000
PS2 - 16.000
360 - 4.400

mediacreate said:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 201,298 | 146,192 | 1,104,149 | 15,109,828
2. WII - 78,550 | 65,740 | 603,478 | 1,523,121
3. PSP - 32,175 | 31,216 | 303,113 | 4,835,242
4. PS3 - 23,431 | 18,727 | 178,734 | 636,292
5. PS2 - 16,033 | 17,540 | 149,437 | 20,304,296
6. 360 - 4,811 | 6,130 | 52,617 | 317,319
7. GBA - 1,900 | 1,802 | 18,709 | 15,316,788
8. NGC - 383 | 306 | 3,459 | 4,172,927

It's crazy how close famitsu and MC were with Sony and the 360 versus how far off they were with Nintendo (mainly the DS)

Were they covering different dates or something?

Top Bottom