• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving the Fractal Node 605. I loaded this thing up with all the necessary fans and it just seems like a much more quieter case than the previous two I tried.

So far my only complaints would be the price, really wish this was $30-$40 cheaper. It would of benefited from having better cable management. I think I'll need to get a modular PSU next to get rid of some of these extra unwanted cables. I found the case pretty easy to work with and there is quite a bit of room.

fractal1.jpg

fractal3.jpg

fractal2v.jpg

Pandemic

Hi, I tried connecting another 140mm fan... But I failed. I plugged it into a free connector thingo, yet the fan isn't spinning...?

I did it exactly how the previous fan had seemed to be plugged in..

plainr_

I am loving the Fractal Node 605. I loaded this thing up with all the necessary fans and it just seems like a much more quieter case than the previous two I tried.

So far my only complaints would be the price, really wish this was $30-$40 cheaper. It would of benefited from having better cable management. I think I'll need to get a modular PSU next to get rid of some of these extra unwanted cables. I found the case pretty easy to work with and there is quite a bit of room.

Beautiful. I wish there was an itx version.

jarosh

ah, must've misinterpreted you then, sorry. If you go into the properties of the usb controller in device manager, and click on the details tab and select the hardware ID from the dropdown and paste it here that'd be helpful. I might be able to get another driver for that manufacturer's USB controller that you could use (I have a hdd of this sort of junk lying about for situations like this). No promises, but I can certainly look.

That'd be awesome!

Here:

AR6cawn.png

Sorry for the late reply, by the way. I was asleep.

EDIT: nvm, found it myself with the ID! It's the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though ;)

Need to confirm something here.

Noticed the last 3 months I have been getting complete random shutdowns to black and then rebooting. Usually more frequent when running netflix or playing modern PC game.

Decided to go ahead and check my fans/power output today. Notice my 12V rail is reading 6.65V under load. YIKES!

ju5NAPJErjMf5.JPG

I am running a 550W supply right now on a 560Ti i5-2500, with 4 ram modules and 3 HDD's. Probably my PSU is going to die soon.

Any suggestions for a 750W supply? I don't mind spending a little.

Edit: Thought about it some more and realized my computer would not boot if this value was much lower than 5% of norm. Little concerned I have a possible MOBO issue here if the i/o controller output is showing the line so low.

Wubby

Help me choose a monitor.

My 2600K/570GTX sli machine I built a few years ago still runs great and I cant't think of any real reason to upgrade anything in the box. Sure the sli 570's could be switched out for a single 680 but I can't justify the cost that minor upgrade would bring.

But my monitor on the other hand is pretty old. It's a 22" (1680x1050) HP w2207 I bought circa 2007. It has served me well but the light bleed on the sides of the screen when I try to watch movies in the dark is pretty atrocious.

There are 2 monitors I'm debating:

1. LG 29EA93 29" 21:9 2560x1080 (IPS)
+Wide aspect ratio (great for movies and games that support it)
+HDMI inputs: 2 (and a bunch of other inputs/USB as well)
+Very low input lag for an IPS
+Better warranty
+Great reviews so far. Anandtech Techspot

-Bit more expensive
-Odd aspect ratio doesn't work for all games
-Shorter than 27", bit lower PPI
-60Hz (overclock unknown)
-Crap if the one I order turns out to be an older pre-1.25 version (will return in that case)

2. QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 (PLS)
+Can be overclocked (some up to 120Hz)
+Taller (Better for web browsing?)
+Samsung panel

-No HDMI
-Apparently does 2560x1440 only. See here. So no plugging my PS3 or other systems into this one.
-Warranty?

The LG monitor can be had for just over $400 here in Japan (It's $700 for some reason in the US) where as the Qnix is just over $300 off of ebay. So price isn't a big factor. Both have 100x100 Vesa mounts which is required for me. I'm leaning more towards the LG. I hardly play FPS games so I'm not too sure how much I really need 120Hz. I don't have room for dual monitors so the LG would probably serve me well here. If I did have room I'd go dual 27" for sure.

abunai

That'd be awesome!

Here:

Sorry for the late reply, by the way. I was asleep.

EDIT: nvm, found it myself with the ID! It's the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though ;)

Neat. Glad it's working.

Noticed the last 3 months I have been getting complete random shutdowns to black and then rebooting. Usually more frequent when running netflix or playing modern PC game.

Decided to go ahead and check my fans/power output today. Notice my 12V rail is reading 6.65V under load. YIKES!

I am running a 550W supply right now on a 560Ti i5-2500, with 4 ram modules and 3 HDD's. Probably my PSU is going to die soon.

Edit: Thought about it some more and realized my computer would not boot if this value was much lower than 5% of norm. Little concerned I have a possible MOBO issue here if the i/o controller output is showing the line so low.

Have you tried any other monitoring tools? I've often found speedfan to be inaccurate. I would recommend AIDA64 or HWMonitor.
Either way, 750W is overkill. What brand PSU are you on just now? If it's a no-name brand, your PSU may indeed be failing, but like you said it is improbably due to the amount of voltage droop on the 12V rail. Although, random reboots may point to this being involved, at least in some manner.
I can highly recommend this 550W 80+ gold rated modular PSU, if you do need to purchase a new one.

Based on your last paragraph, I'd probably lean towards the LG aswell. The aspect ratio might cause headaches for game compatibility in the future, which I personally couldn't be bothered with. I've got great personal excperience with samsung panels, but not having the ability to plug ps3 etc into it is not great either, WRT the QNIX. Are any of the crossover/catleap Korean 27" 1440p monitors an option for you? If not, I'd go LG.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This might seem stupid but I need to ask. Can I use any ATX PSU cables on my ATX 760?

I want to get some nice sleeved designs. As long as they are the same pin its ok right?

Hello Gentlemen.

I have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket. I want to replace that with a brand spanking NEW PC.

Tell me the parts I should use because I will probably fuck it up if I order parts myself (I'm good with construction though).

Thanks!

Gbraga

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but can anyone point me to a cheap bluetooth dongle to use with my DS3 and MotioninJoy?

Addnan

Hello Gentlemen.

I have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket. I want to replace that with a brand spanking NEW PC.

Tell me the parts I should use because I will probably fuck it up if I order parts myself (I'm good with construction though).

Thanks!
Does that include accessories, monitors? You could probably go 3820 and a Titan for that kind of money.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but can anyone point me to a cheap bluetooth dongle to use with my DS3 and MotioninJoy?
Grab whatever is cheap and rated well on Amazon / eBay / Monoprice / DealExtreme
Hello Gentlemen.

Thanks!
Fill out the sheet in the OP and someone will take care of you. Note new Intel chips launch in a month (Though you may want a current gen hexa core).
Bonus points to extra addition like how much you care about aesthetics, colors, noise, etc.
This might seem stupid but I need to ask. Can I use any ATX PSU cables on my ATX 760?

I want to get some nice sleeved designs. As long as they are the same pin its ok right?
Only modular cables for your modular PSU will work, whether they are custom or from Corsair.
Different designs have different mounts. Not sure on wire gauge or voltage layout.

My 2600K/570GTX sli machine I built a few years ago still runs great and I cant't think of any real reason to upgrade anything in the box. Sure the sli 570's could be switched out for a single 680 but I can't justify the cost that minor upgrade would bring.

But my monitor on the other hand is pretty old. It's a 22" (1680x1050) HP w2207 I bought circa 2007. It has served me well but the light bleed on the sides of the screen when I try to watch movies in the dark is pretty atrocious.

There are 2 monitors I'm debating:

1. LG 29EA93 29" 21:9 2560x1080 (IPS)
2. QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 (PLS)

The LG monitor can be had for just over $400 here in Japan (It's $700 for some reason in the US) where as the Qnix is just over $300 off of ebay. So price isn't a big factor. Both have 100x100 Vesa mounts which is required for me. I'm leaning more towards the LG. I hardly play FPS games so I'm not too sure how much I really need 120Hz. I don't have room for dual monitors so the LG would probably serve me well here. If I did have room I'd go dual 27" for sure.
It looks like you've mostly made your decision. I'll toss in my hat that above 60Hz is just so goddam nice. SO NICE.
Limited room sucks, I can't even imagine having a single monitor.

ju5NAPJErjMf5.JPG

SpeedFan is not in the OP for a reason. Use HWMonitor if you need something.
Your PSU should be fine if it's not a bad brand/model. 300W is all your setup technically needs. What is it?

1) Check motherboard for bulging or popped capacitors
2) Clean your computer out
3) Check LOAD temperatures with utilities in OP
4) Run Memtest 86+ to check the memory
5) Run an HDD Diagnostic from your manufacturer to test your Hard Drive

MedIC86

Hello Gentlemen.

Thanks!

Wait for haswell and new nvidia cards, only 3/4 weeks away. then decide, also i would never recommend spending 2500$ on pc parts (unless you also need a monitor, speakers etc).

I just want to say to anyone looking for a mouse, the Shogun Bros Ballista Mk-1 is amazing. I just got one and it is 100x better than my old Sensei and only £50 a bargain. Mind you it is pretty right hand orientated so lefties will probably better off elsewhere.

Now that I have everything transferred to the new case and I am keeping the Node 605, I want to start looking at modular PSU in the 550-600W range. I'd like to spend anywhere from $70-$80 for one. What are some good brands to look for? I currently have a 550W Ultra that is a year old and I really like their brand, haven't had any issues with it so far.

Do you guys think getting a 660 TI 2 or 3GB or even the 670 right now is worth it considering that the new 700 series Nvidia cards are supposed to be out end of this month? I'm just thinking since the new cards aren't a huge jump, a 660 TI wouldn't be a bad idea. I would be buying an EVGA so don't they have an 90 day upgrade policy? How does that policy work, has anyone tried it yet?

Demon Ice

Banned
Hello Gentlemen.

Thanks!
Check out the high end build in the OP and chuck a Titan in there.

New Intel procs dropping in a month though.

Very cool man. I love most of Fractal Design cases. I'd definitely consider your case for a HTPC.

mkenyon

Banned
Hello Gentlemen.

Thanks!
About to head to work, but I will get back to you on this in an hour.

Frostburn

Thinking of doing a new build inside the newly released Corsair 350D. I currently have an air cooled 650D with an i5-2500k and GTX 570. I am going to do at least a closed loop system for the processor in the 350D and would like to do the same for a new GTX 770 depending on what kind of noise it makes. I love my huge 650D but there is something very appealing about the smaller 350D and the limits of building within it (Not that it is a super small case).

Wubby

Based on your last paragraph, I'd probably lean towards the LG aswell. The aspect ratio might cause headaches for game compatibility in the future, which I personally couldn't be bothered with. I've got great personal excperience with samsung panels, but not having the ability to plug ps3 etc into it is not great either, WRT the QNIX. Are any of the crossover/catleap Korean 27" 1440p monitors an option for you? If not, I'd go LG.

Are there any other Korean 27" 1440p monitors that have both HDMI and can be overclocked from the factory like the Qnix? If so I'd strongly consider getting that. I know Overlord computer (iirc) sells a pcb that can be plugged into an LG panel for OC'ing but that's an additional $200.

cripterion

Thinking of buying a pc driving wheel to play with my racing games (got that Dirt pack on steam recently and have the latest NFS on Origin).

I'm not willing to fork that much into it, currently checking the Logitech driving force GT, anyone has it? The fact that I can use it for consoles is a nice plus but not necessary considering I haven't touch my ps3 or 360 for a long time.

Just trying to improve immersion in my driving games and hopefully have something compatible that doesn't feel too cheap without being super pricy!

If you guys have any recommendations.

Najaf

Just a heads up for Nvidia card buyers:

I stumbled into purchasing EVGA cards after my SLI Gigabyte cards proved prone to overheating when in SLI due to the top draw fans.

I have since found EVGA customer support is top tier. For my two+ year old build, I had two GTX 460 cards in SLI. These models were covered by EVGA's limited lifetime warranty. They also allow for easy digital registration of the cards by simply using NewEggs email invoice.

So a little over two and a half years in and my top card is hitting 99 C during Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 and throttling according to MSI Afterburner.

I make a phone call to the guys at EVGA and after I described the circumstances, they immediately created an RMA for the overheating card. They seemed to understand that I knew what I was talking about, as I preemptively covered airflow, clock settings and power supply capacity. So they did not pester me with the steriotypical tech support questions that get read out of a book. "Is the computer plugged in sir?" anyone?

Immediate RMA goes out. I opted to have my replacement card cross shipped, a process where they charge collateral to my credit card and they immediately send out the replacement while they await my card. Then, after they process the RMA, they credit my card back.

They informed me that their policy is to not break anyone's SLI settup, so I should watch to see what product they send out and if it was a different model (2gb vs. 1gb, or a step up model) I should call them back. Turns out they are sending me a GTX 560, which I saw today after they automatically registered it to my profile. I called them up, told them as much, and now they are sending out a second GTX 560 and I am simply putting both of my cards in the same package out to them. And, to make things better, my limited lifetime warranty for the GTX 460 cards will cary over to the 560 model, even though that particular model only has a limited 3 year warranty by default.

I could not be happier. For my next build, I'm going to stick with them for GPUs of course, but I am now also heavily considering them for my mobo, some of which also offer lifetime warranties.

So give EVGA some thought in the future. As NewEgg has proved up, great customer service goes a long way in the tech field.

Oh, and just as some evidence that I'm not just shilling for EVGA, here are links to my NewEgg reviews from a few years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/cwmgr3f First review on that page.
http://tinyurl.com/d4mynxx My review of the Gigabyte cards that I exchanged for EVGA's
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22705778 Link to my post here on GAF for my original build in 2010

cripterion

Just a heads up for Nvidia card buyers:

I stumbled into purchasing EVGA cards after my SLI Gigabyte cards proved prone to overheating when in SLI due to the top draw fans.

I have since found EVGA customer support is top tier. For my two+ year old build, I had two GTX 460 cards in SLI. These models were covered by EVGA's limited lifetime warranty. They also allow for easy digital registration of the cards by simply using NewEggs email invoice.

So a little over two and a half years in and my top card is hitting 99 C during Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 and throttling according to MSI Afterburner.

I make a phone call to the guys at EVGA and after I described the circumstances, they immediately created an RMA for the overheating card. They seemed to understand that I knew what I was talking about, as I preemptively covered airflow, clock settings and power supply capacity. So they did not pester me with the steriotypical tech support questions that get read out of a book. "Is the computer plugged in sir?" anyone?

Immediate RMA goes out. I opted to have my replacement card cross shipped, a process where they charge collateral to my credit card and they immediately send out the replacement while they await my card. Then, after they process the RMA, they credit my card back.

They informed me that their policy is to not break anyone's SLI settup, so I should watch to see what product they send out and if it was a different model (2gb vs. 1gb, or a step up model) I should call them back. Turns out they are sending me a GTX 560, which I saw today after they automatically registered it to my profile. I called them up, told them as much, and now they are sending out a second GTX 560 and I am simply putting both of my cards in the same package out to them. And, to make things better, my limited lifetime warranty for the GTX 460 cards will cary over to the 560 model, even though that particular model only has a limited 3 year warranty by default.

I could not be happier. For my next build, I'm going to stick with them for GPUs of course, but I am now also heavily considering them for my mobo, some of which also offer lifetime warranties.

So give EVGA some thought in the future. As NewEgg has proved up, great customer service goes a long way in the tech field.

Oh, and just as some evidence that I'm not just shilling for EVGA, here are links to my NewEgg reviews from a few years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/cwmgr3f First review on that page.
http://tinyurl.com/d4mynxx My review of the Gigabyte cards that I exchanged for EVGA's
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22705778 Link to my post here on GAF for my original build in 2010

That's really nice! Always good to hear RMA stories with a good ending.

Only had it done once with Western Digital and didn't go that well with my replacement hard drive crapping out in a couple of days.

As far as videocards go, I've gone with ASUS several times and their cards have been good to me.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I saw they were posted on Frozen CPU when I was lurking another forum - that's what kind of made it a "serious contender" now.

cst-1360_3.jpg

Gorgeous.

Do you think the sound-dampening is worth it for the extra $100? I don't mind a little noise - hell, I currently have my fans on max right now cause my case has terrible cooling. $100 seems pretty steep; but if it makes a big difference for an air-cooled rig, I might consider it.
No way. The whole point of water cooling is that you can spin fans super low and achieve a very quiet PC. Sound dampening will do nothing but screw with the current radiator tolerances that were measured out to the exact mm for specific reasons. It's an amazingly well thought out case.
Hello Gentlemen.

Thanks!
If you can't wait 1.5 months, this is what I'd suggest right now:

Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene - $269
Processor: Intel 3820 - $300
Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 - $100
PSU: Corsair AX760 - $153
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4GB 2133MHz - $145
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i - $100
Video Card: ASUS DCII 7970 - $435
SSD: Samsung 840 500GB - $320

You then save the rest. There will be a drop-in processor upgrade for this system released this fall, and you'll be able to upgrade to a crazy fast 6 Core Behemoth for ~$550. You would also sell the 7970 grabbing the 8970 or 780 when they release.

Really though, I'd wait 1.5 months for Haswell.

Quick question: The ASUS GTX 660 is like $170 at Newegg right now after rebates and promo codes. I currently have a Geforce 550TI. Is it worth the upgrade/price or is that going to be just a minimal performance boost?

kennah

660 is about on par with a 570, so you'd see a little bit of a boost, not sure if it would be worth the chunk of change though.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Thinking of upgrading my graphics card. I have 8 gigs of ram and an i7 still, so dont think i need to mess with that. I have a radeon 5850 i think? Xsplit does not work at all with it, it causes massive frame rate drops and stuff. So thinking I need to get an nvidia card. What would be a good upgrade from that? Everything still runs great, dota 2/battlefield 3 and whatnot. But just thinking I might upgrade

mkenyon

Banned
Thinking of upgrading my graphics card. I have 8 gigs of ram and an i7 still, so dont think i need to mess with that. I have a radeon 5850 i think? Xsplit does not work at all with it, it causes massive frame rate drops and stuff. So thinking I need to get an nvidia card. What would be a good upgrade from that? Everything still runs great, dota 2/battlefield 3 and whatnot. But just thinking I might upgrade
Run the game in borderless mode, and select a portion that is not quite your full screen. That's the trick.

XSplit has almost nothing to do with a videocard. That performance hit is entirely due to your CPU being taxed heavily.

An even better upgrade would be a Capture Card, which would offload the capture and encoding process to that card. Avermedia Gamer HD is the best and can stream at 60FPS.

I was looking to buy a completely new rig but I kind of want to hold off another year. At present I can play most games on medium settings with games like bioshock infinite doing well on high. I was thinking if I bought myself a gtx 660 would that do well with most games for the next year. I don't really care about running things with all settings maxed and I run my games at 1080p.

Current system specs:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

RAM:
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard:
Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775)

Graphics:
1024MB GeForce GTX 460 (Undefined)

kharma45

I was looking to buy a completely new rig but I kind of want to hold off another year. At present I can play most games on medium settings with games like bioshock infinite doing well on high. I was thinking if I bought myself a gtx 660 would that do well with most games for the next year. I don't really care about running things with all settings maxed and I run my games at 1080p.

Current system specs:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

RAM:
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard:
Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775)

Graphics:
1024MB GeForce GTX 460 (Undefined)

Haswell and Nvidia's new stuff will be out by June so if you're looking to upgrade it'd be a good time to then.

Great deal for those in the market:

SeaSonic X650 650W ATX Power Supply (80PLUS GOLD, Modular) $79.99AR

Just got one for my new secondary rig.

Wonderful price.

I heard you sent him love letters.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom