• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aganu

was this posted already?
From newest video thing on GT they said that the event/stream is only for 1 hour

that is not long :(
Anticipate an eye-opener, appetizer kind of event. They'll keep most of the gaming stuff for E3. If you expect otherwise you'll likely end up being disappointed.

it COULD be enough. But it's probably going to be

40 minutes of x360 sales data, kinect 2.0, social stuff and entertainment apps
20 minutes of games, of which
__15 is new COD playthrough
___5 is devs talking about their games without showing them

YEAH !

Yeah, this shit is getting really tiring, no recent Microsoft conference has been like that.

In addition to that, this is a reveal of a new console, not an E3 conference.

Izick

Edge seems really professional. Lots of professional game blogger sites these days.

EDIT: Wow, I just read the majority of that. No wonder people think gaming press are a complete joke.

Theres no eSRAM in there, that has 0 to do with Durango. 0.

But wasn't this a non consumer product made for super computers.
Hence perhaps the ddr3 ECC memory i just looked the term up on wikipedia and it stands for Error Correcting code memory? Or am i mistaken it for something else.

clip

Just heard from a source that it will only have 2GB of RAM, but that ram will be DDR7 so it'll make up for the lack of ram.

Yeah, this shit is getting really tiring, no recent Microsoft conference has been like that.

Yeah, I remember a MS conference in the past year or two where they started with a plethora of game trailers and on-stage demos, it was awesome, totally the opposite of the Sony one that year which was reflective waffle for 20 minutes before we saw anything.

The 720 reveal will probably be awesome.

eso76

We still don't know how much MS is focusing on games though.
All we've heard so far points towards living room entertainment thing...

Otherwise, 1 hour is plenty for tech and games if they don't waste too much time talking.
PS4 conference definitely had too much talk for me

ShinAmano

We still don't know how much MS is focusing on games though.
All we've heard so far points towards living room entertainment thing...

Otherwise, 1 hour is plenty for tech and games if they don't waste too much time talking.
PS4 conference definitely had too much talk for me
You are crazy if you think ms will not push games...how does that thought even go through your head?

This is horrible. I can see this article being written if it was titled a blog or an editorial, but to headline it is a tragedy.

There are people who discredit Polygon because of the love they show MS and the money that apparently changed hands for start-up (I don't know that whole story), but this is the reciprocal of that.

Showing disdain for a company is just as discrediting as showing favoritism.

The more I think about this event, the less I think they'll actually show. This will be the place to say all the things they don't want taking up time at their big E3 conference.

It's only an hour long, so this is how things are likely to play out...

- Opening speech about sales, developer partnerships, Xbox live and what they have achieved with 360 over the past 7 years.

- Talk about what's next. Revealing new Xbox on stage. Design Philosiphy, social aspects and how it's a true all in one device.

- Kinect 2.0 bundled with every machine. Talk about that and the new experiences it offers and how it changes gaming and navigation.

- Demo of Call of Duty on 720. Exclusive DLC on MS platforms.

- Close with a brief reminder that E3 is just 2 weeks away and they will be showcasing their launch line up. Tune in then.

I'm quite sure this is what we'll get on the 21st, and as a console reveal that's fine. Sony's conference was 2hrs but it had a bit of flab.

I've little doubt that MS's end goal is all about the TV/Kinect angle, but you'd have to be really naive to think they won't be heavily pushing games for at least the first handful of years.

Doffen

What do you classify as filler?
The game announcements were a little drawn out with a lot of cryptic and dramatic introductions and some of the demo's were a little long, but I can't remember any filler.

Filler to me is endless sales data or a musical intermission or something.

Even the announcement of the PS4 logo was also drawn out. I've held several presentations throughout my years (not in the VG industry), looking at the PS4 meeting with a critical eye I see lots that could be shortened or removed.

EagleEyes

I'm hopeful that Microsoft has clearly seen the software sales for Kinect games this past year and realized its not going to be the big driving force in sales for its next console. Kinect 2.0 will definitely be packed in with the new console but I think they are smart enough to realize that it won't be the main attraction this time around.

Ushae

Banned
Shit son, less than 2 weeks left! Not a single leak yet. We got the PS4 controller last time, can't believe how tightly controlled MS's information is at the moment.

We'll be seeing a lof TV reps and game journalists coming to this conference correct?

I would love it if Sega finally shows off the Creative Assembly's Alien game. But that's more likely an E3 type reveal, I think.

Although we know it's a cross-gen title, so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on May 21st.

Izick

This is off the wall, but I wonder if there's any chance that we see the new Shadowrun Returns game for the Nextbox? Maybe part of Microsoft's licensing deal with Harebrained Schemes?

An hour is perfect. Short, sharp and sweet.

The Sony conference was full of a LOT of filler. Dragged on.

This is true. The Sony show would have made for a great 1 hour reveal. Microsoft will either have a tight one hour reveal, or they'll have a 60 minute version of their 360 reveal (for those that don't remember, it was an awful 30 minute reveal).

Haha, what did I just read?

You just read an example from a site that a lot of people around here hold in high regard. Yeeeesh. That's Kotaku-levels of horrible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't expect a ton of games to be there. I expect maybe a short highlight reel for a small number of games and perhaps them focusing on Ryse and/or Alan Wake, PGR and CoD (and MAYBE Rare's IP) for about a minute or two each. Longer for CoD.

I expect most of the time will be them discussing their vision going forward, which is probably most important too. 1 hour doesn't seem that long to me because it means they'll leave out a lot of the nitty gritty. I expect them to talk about:
- Kinect 2.0
- Gaming partnerships, highlighting EA and Epic
- Entertainment partnerships and services
- The future of XBL moving down the paywall for increased revenue from the apps beyond it (probably wont mention price specifics though)
- Xbox Surface briefly, if it exists
- SmartGlass
- New XBL services
- NUI
- Some brief specs talk
- Maybe a live demo
- SKU details but not prices

That's not even everything and its still a lot to jam pack into an hour with all those PR adjectives they need to use.

Now that I think of it, I can totally see Ballmer making a quip about always online just to get some laughs/free claps out of people there. MS press conferences can be sterile and they'll do what they can to seem fun.

RPGamer92

Banned
How hilarious would it be if the always-online rumors were true and when MS attempt to show the system off, can't due to troubles connecting to the internet?

How hilarious would it be if the always-online rumors were true and when MS attempt to show the system off, can't due to troubles connecting to the internet?

Or what if all rumors are wrong and next Xbox is powerful, no online required, and a lot of games. Could be funny.

eso76

You are crazy if you think ms will not push games...how does that thought even go through your head?

We'll see, I don't know.
they might waste time talking about their vision, their place in living room entertainment,etc.
I am sure there's something pretty cool and innovative about the new Xbox, which isn't necessarily relevant to games, but they'll want to brag about it.
Plus saying 'there will definitely be games' almost seems to confirm the reveal will focus on other aspects, but there will be games too.
Also, E3 is just a few days later and this is where games will be.
But I don't know, we don't know what they have in mind.

Edge article..what the hell were they thinking ?? Wow.

We'll see, I don't know.
they might waste time talking about their vision, their place in living room entertainment,etc.
I am sure there's something pretty cool and innovative about the new Xbox, which isn't necessarily relevant to games, but they'll want to brag about it.
Plus saying 'there will definitely be games' almost seems to confirm the reveal will focus on other aspects, but there will be games too.

There will be games at 21.

Alx

We'll see, I don't know.

Yeah with E3 being so close there are chances they won't show as many games as they would have in an April announcement. But then they may also want to shake off the idea of their console not being aimed at gamers. Or maybe not.
Anyway between the reveal and E3 I'm sure there will be plenty of games shown, but the way they'll handle it is still unknown. Which is not a bad thing, I like surprises. :)

I've little doubt that MS's end goal is all about the TV/Kinect angle, but you'd have to be really naive to think they won't be heavily pushing games for at least the first handful of years.

this still would make me mad about MS and the direction they want to take. the gamers get a few good years after launch to support a gaming console. then, after MS feels they've invested in enough new IP/games will start to close down studios and shift their focus back to an "entertainment box" with three or four first party games they'll rehash every year.

when we invest the time to build our game collection, friends list, achievements and XBL fees I expect Microsoft to focus on games the entire generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom