• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade SalesGAF May 2013 - Cyborgs, Gunslingers, and Doggs

Rlan

Welcome to the new Xbox Live Arcade Sales Analysis Thread for NeoGAF! I began this a few months ago, and will continue on this month!

April's Leaderboard data consisted of:

xbla-april-2013-4.png

- Poker Night 2, according to C4Lukins, has about 24,000 players on the leaderboards.
- God Mode from the final week has 16,790 players on it.
- Motocross Madness's data is based on the second level, which isn't available in the demo. The demo somehow added players regardless of trial or full. It's probably higher than the numbers I give, but not by much.
-New release Battleblock Theater has 143,000 players now! It's not been a Castle Crashers uber success, but it's doing great otherwise.
- Terraria now almost at 300K
- No Minecraft stats this month yet, as the data app they use was down, apparently.
- Sacred Citadel doesn't seem to have done well on XBLA, a shame as it's from the ilomilo people.
- Lots of sales on the first week, with Trials games getting a big push, and Dust cracking 100,000 players.

And now onto the first week of May, 2013's sales analysis.

may2013-1.png

- Farcry 3 Blood Dragon seems to be doing pretty well! With 118,398 players on the leaderboards. By comparison, this is a little less than Terraria did in its first week.
- Way of the Dogg is doing terrible, but it's no real surprise.
- Poker Night 2's continuing to do okay.

This week we'll see releases of Dorito's Crash Course 2 for free, and later in the month we'll see Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Blood Dragon is such a massive hit that I think it will fundamentally change the way big publishers produce DLC from now on.

I didn't know a Doritos Crash Course 2 was going to be released, much less this week! Wow! Awesome! Anyone have a link, wonder how big the sequel is.

Also, wow at Battle Blocks Theater selling so well. Seen a lot a people play it. Might go check the demo out.

Dizzy

Banned
Good to see Blood Dragon doing well, it's the best idea for a game I've seen in years. More 80's goodness please.

Rlan

Personally i'd like to see Blood Dragon's seperate style of game using the same engine kind of be used for a game's multiplayer. Games like assassins creed etc -- release big single player game on disc, do multiplayer as a separate application on XBLA using the same engine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's kinda sad seeing Battleblock Theatre underperform. The game just flew under everyone's radars.

It's kinda sad seeing Battleblock Theatre underperform. The game just flew under everyone's radars.

It's almost impossible to follow up a phenomenon like Castle Crashers.
That game put up otherwordly numbers for a downloadable game with no mainstream advertising.

Rlan

Sorry, I'm a bit late this week:

may2013-2.png

Didn't hear back from C4Lukins this week, so some of the stats are missing :)

- Crash Course 2 got 800,000 new players this week. As it's free, we've no idea how well it's done money wise.
- Monaco added 8,146 players this week -- but it did start 2 days later, and didn't have a demo up for quite a while. Additionally the PC version came out a week earlier I think.
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon still going pretty well -- 50K new players this week.

Not good.

And people like free stuff.

I played 10 minutes of Monaco and hated it. My friend played 5 minutes of Monaco and hated it. I think the dreadful music is enough to make anyone want to gouge their ears off within a few minutes anyway.

Not sure what all the hype is about. Perhaps I need to put on some custom soundtracks and give it more time.

Rlan

Alright! Sorry for missing out last week, just got caught up with stuff.

may2013-4.png

So for the month of May:

- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has done very well, with over 200,000 players in four weeks. I imagine it's also done well on PSN and PC.
- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.
- Way of The Dogg did terribly (and got awful reviews) and Monaco hasn't done well either.
- Unfortunately could not follow Sanctum 2 or Hunter's Trophy. Sanctum 2 is the best reviewed game of the month with 81 on Metacritic, while Hunter's Trophy has the lowest with 25.
- Also couldn't follow Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is a shame. It does have 8,856 players on the "Arcade Mode" leaderboard, which probably means there's a LOT more than that who have played the normal game. Also had good buzz around it at the moment.

Other notes:

- Terraria has hit over 350,000 players.
- Battleblock Theater is over 200,000 players.

A huge thanks to C4Lukins for stats on Terraria, Way of the Dogg and Poker Night 2, and Lifelower for helping out with stats for COJ Gunslinger.

Kifimbo

- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.

The first was totally free (no microtransactions), right ? So they sure made more money than the last time.

And no drop for Battleblock Theater in the last three weeks!

Sorry I'm a bit off the 360 scene atm. Anyway, a few comments:

* are you sure about the 0 for the second week of Way of the Dawg? Seems pretty weird. I know, that doesn't change the fact that it's a mega bomba.
* I'm surprised by how good FC3: BD is performing. I guess the name helps a lot.
* BBT doesn't seem to make as good as its predecessor. Though I guess 200k is a pretty high number on XBLA, I'm surprised it isn't higher.

Next release I'm gonna be interested in, numbers wise, is State of Decay. Especially at its $20 price.

Rlan

Sorry I'm a bit off the 360 scene atm. Anyway, a few comments:

* are you sure about the 0 for the second week of Way of the Dawg? Seems pretty weird. I know, that doesn't change the fact that it's a mega bomba.
* I'm surprised by how good FC3: BD is performing. I guess the name helps a lot.
* BBT doesn't seem to make as good as its predecessor. Though I guess 200k is a pretty high number on XBLA, I'm surprised it isn't higher.

Next release I'm gonna be interested in, numbers wise, is State of Decay. Especially at its $20 price.

I forgot to mention -- the zeros there aren't "no sales", but that I didn't get those stats that week. The weeks afterwards included both weeks.

I forgot to mention -- the zeros there aren't "no sales", but that I didn't get those stats that week. The weeks afterwards included both weeks.

Oh. Okay then my bad. It means that WotDawg averaged pretty good on its second and third week. Compared to the first one of course.

Noogy

Ah was about to say, getting 0 sales a week would be sort of impressive. A negative number even more so.

Top Bottom