• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Freaking awesome job MS getting this on spike TV. Set my DVR don't have to worry about stream going to hell. Also have a half hour special behind the scenes to. I figured MS would 1 up Sony on the introducing the system.

netBuff

Freaking awesome job MS getting this on spike TV. Set my DVR don't have to worry about stream going to hell. Also have a half hour special behind the scenes to. I figured MS would 1 up Sony on the introducing the system.

If you're watching after the fact anyway, why are you worried about "stream going to hell"? The PS4 conference was widely available everywhere after the meeting, I really wouldn't expect this to be a problem with Microsoft. You'll probably even be able to watch it right from your 360 dashboard ;)

This would just theoretically go to the OS. Durango always targeted 8GB.

And that "slow ram" would make a blazing fast OS if true.

wait, i'm not really following this post. If everything else was equal, would 8 gigs of GDDR3 RAM going exclusively to the games make for better graphics than the PS4's 8 gigs GDDR5 (a couple of which probably go to os funtions)???

Reiko

Banned
wait, i'm not really following this post. If everything else was equal, would 8 gigs of GDDR3 RAM going exclusively to the games make for better graphics than the PS4's 8 gigs GDDR5 (a couple of which probably go to os funtions)???

Isn't PS4 pretty much 8GB for games or close to it? I remember the OS being rumored to be small like Vita.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If you're watching after the fact anyway, why are you worried about "stream going to hell"? The PS4 conference was widely available everywhere after the meeting, I really wouldn't expect this to be a problem with Microsoft. You'll probably even be able to watch it right from your 360 dashboard ;)

Don't have 360 any more was stolen when my house was robbed. I might watch live not sure what my plans are for the day to be honest. Nice to set it ahead of time just in case.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Isn't PS4 pretty much 8GB for games or close to it? I remember the OS being rumored to be small like Vita.

Thought the rumor is 1 gig now for the OS and other features reserved. So 7 for games is still pretty damn awesome.

Nobody knows about the memory of the OS yet. People have speculated that it will use 1GB. One thing we found out from the Killzone tech thread was that the OS uses 2 cores (6 cores for games) not 1 as previously thought.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Good news: I got a job interview today.

Bad news: It's Tuesday at 1-ish, so I'm going to have to miss the Next Xbox reveal, and I'm going to have to catch up on the news later.

Oh well, if I land this job, at least I can afford one at launch, possibly a PS4 too...

Ugh surface RT can't do anything other than running OS?

The total ram in Surface RT is 2GB, for apps and OS. I don't know how many is reserved from the 2GB. My Android Table has 1GB but only 700MB are available for apps.

Bad news: It's Tuesday at 1-ish, so I'm going to have to miss the Next Xbox reveal, and I'm going to have to catch up on the news later.

Oh well, if I land this job, at least I can afford one at launch, possibly a PS4 too...

Congrats!

Karak

Bad News: You can't go to the job interview

Good News: You get to see the show.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I know right! Showing it on Spike TV on a Tuesday afternoon beats the hell out of primetime. ;)

The total ram in Surface RT is 2GB, for apps and OS. I don't know how many is reserved from the 2GB. My Android Table has 1GB but only 700MB are available for apps.

Congrats!
Yeah if Surface can run fine with 2GB,i still don't know what MS need to run with 3GB,must be something huge

All reasonable rumours suggest 1GB for the PS4 OS. As far as I understand it, the poster you linked is speculating, and giving 5GB as a hypothetical low-end number.

I found more detail about the guy claim PS4 use 3GB for other than gaming,seems he is from Ratloop studio asia,introduced their game in Asia Playstation blog
http://forum.gamer.com.tw/Co.php?bsn=60547&sn=38738

So i'm not sure now,i thought he is speculating either(even he said "this news is wrong,PS4 have 5GB for gaming" in that thread)

Yeah if Surface can run fine with 2GB,i still don't know what MS need to run with 3GB,must be something huge

And Windows Phone 8 is 1GB, you are right, but we need more details.

I found more detail about the guy claim PS4 use 3GB for other than gaming,seems he is from Ratloop studio asia,introduced their game in Asia Playstation blog
So i'm not sure now,i thought he is speculating either even he said "this news is wrong,PS4 have 5GB for gaming" in that thread

You don't understand, PS4 good rumors are ok, Xbox next good rumors are not allowed.

The rumors we have are 1GB for PS4 and 3GB for Durango OS. If that holds and Durango went to 12GB, the split would 9GB for games on Durango, 7GB on PS4.

Pretty similar, but it's better than the current 7GB/5GB rumor (which could change to 7/6)

I would not be at all surprised to see PS4 OS reserve go up over 1GB too though. Just like the two CPU core thing when everybody said 1 or less..

The PS4 RAM is faster and more capable. How much the Durango having more RAM would help it I dont know. A lot of people will say none. I'm not a programmer working on these consoles, none of us are, so I dont know. I do know I'd rather have 9GB than 5GB.

netBuff

So i'm not sure now,i thought he is speculating either(even he said "this news is wrong,PS4 have 5GB for gaming" in that thread)

That really doesn't make much sense with a system that was supposed to ship with 4GB of RAM.

You don't understand, PS4 good rumors are ok, Xbox next good rumors are not allowed.

This is strange nonsense. Reasonable rumours are ok, absurd ones are rightfully ridiculed.

The rumors we have are 1GB for PS4 and 3GB for Durango OS. If that holds and Durango went to 12GB, the split would 9GB for games on Durango, 7GB on PS4.

Pretty similar, but it's better than the current 7GB/5GB rumor (which could change to 7/6)

I would not be at all surprised to see PS4 OS reserve go up over 1GB too though. Just like the two CPU core thing when everybody said 1 or less..

The PS4 RAM is faster and more capable. How much the Durango having more RAM would help it I dont know. A lot of people will say none. I'm not a programmer working on these consoles, none of us are, so I dont know. I do know I'd rather have 9GB than 5GB.

Why would they add 4GB or extra RAM, when by all accounts their system architecture would need to undergo some significant changes to accommodate that for very marginal benefits (mainly a better marketing number)?

Izick

4large.gif

That really doesn't make much sense with a system that was supposed to ship with 4GB of RAM.
Yeah but who knows,maybe it wast 2.5/1.5 when it's 4GB,so right now it's 8GB,it become 5/3
It's not really crazy i would say,just contradiction with other rumors,and this guy is not random guy too

Hawk269

I think the 10am for this thing is to capture all the news coverage they will get during the whole day. The fact that they will have the next COD Game shown along with the new console, it is going to give MS so much mindshare. For all of us on Gaf, we all know it will be on all platforms, but for a lot of people that don't frequent Forums (roughly the majority of console gamers), the mindset that on Tuesday a new Xbox is show and a new COD Game is shown on the new Xbox is going the HUGE news.

BadAss2961

You're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?

jbug617

Banned
Neither reveal will have taken place in primetime. Microsoft is ensuring they get nightly news coverage. Sony ensured they wouldnt for some odd reason.

Sony did it at a time that would be good for US and Japan. Europe got the wrong end.
Microsoft is at a good time for US and Europe. Japan got the wrong end.

I think the 10am for this thing is to capture all the news coverage they will get during the whole day. The fact that they will have the next COD Game shown along with the new console, it is going to give MS so much mindshare. For all of us on Gaf, we all know it will be on all platforms, but for a lot of people that don't frequent Forums (roughly the majority of console gamers), the mindset that on Tuesday a new Xbox is show and a new COD Game is shown on the new Xbox is going the HUGE news.

I could not agree more.

THis, plus the fact that the biggest audience for COD is already on Xbox.

Just moving them over to the new system is a big win.

Lets be honest. They know they are going head to head with Sony, they will bring out a few big guns.

If they don't then they are pretty fucking stupid as the events will be compared, the games will be compared and the systems will be compared.

Sure, they won't shoot their entire load before E3, but they need a big noise outside of the (increasingly irrelevant) forum community.

Izick

Sony did it at a time that would be good for US and Japan. Europe got the wrong end.
Microsoft is at a good time for US and Europe. Japan got the wrong end.

Which makes sense. I don't think Microsoft really gives a shit about catering to the Japanese market at this point, at least not at the expense of EU and/or USA. I wonder if they'll even try at all next-gen when it comes to getting Japanese gamers' attention? Can't really blame them if they don't.

Hawk269

I could not agree more.

THis, plus the fact that the biggest audience for COD is already on Xbox.

Just moving them over to the new system is a big win.

Lets be honest. They know they are going head to head with Sony, they will bring out a few big guns.

If they don't then they are pretty fucking stupid as the events will be compared, the games will be compared and the systems will be compared.

Sure, they won't shoot their entire load before E3, but they need a big noise outside of the (increasingly irrelevant) forum community.

Agree. Even if people compare show vs. show the fact that Microsoft will be showing a new console along side the biggest selling franchise of the past gen in Call of Duty, that alone in the minds of the masses is already a win.

Even though COD will be on PS4 and PS3/360 etc. the fact that they will have it at their show along side of the new system is such a fucking big coup for them. The battle of mindshare for the masses is NOT with anyone here on Gaf. We are the minority, big time in the grand scheme of things. Little joey watching video's of the new COD and the Next Xbox being shown running is going to cause little joey to shit himself.

Btw is PS4 use 2 cores for non-gaming(or 6 cores for gaming) news from DF?

Because i also found out this Ratloop studio guy also said PS4 use 2 core for system,6 core for gaming 1 month earlier than DF
http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3453777&page=8#pid40579455

it's from sony's killzone shadowfall slides recently. they talk about threads 0-5 aka 6 threads aka 6 cores. also confirmed those cores are running at 1.6ghz from other calculations available on the slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom