• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my new Panny Plasma and all I need now under it is a shiny next generation Xbox. Hype is really starting to consume me. :)
Awesome choice, which model? I got a 50" VT65 (VT60 in the states) the other week and it's mind blowing. My PS3 and 360 games already look next-gen compared to the Samsung D8000 LED I used to have. Never mind what the next consoles will look like on this thing :)

netBuff

Yes, and a redesign.

So, in your opinion, Sony were planning on 1 GB for games and 3 GB for the OS? This doesn't make any sense: Much more reputable sources have claimed a reasonable 1GB reserved for the OS - this random forums post doesn't make any sense.

Yeah but who knows,maybe it wast 2.5/1.5 when it's 4GB,so right now it's 8GB,it become 5/3
It's not really crazy i would say,just contradiction with other rumors,and this guy is not random guy too

Apparently, 512MB were planned originally. And we can't verify the identity of the poster, this is pretty much "random guy posting speculation contradicting everyone else".

So, in your opinion, Sony were planning on 1GB for games and 3GB for the OS? This doesn't make any sense: Much more reputable sources have claimed a reasonable 1GB reserved for the OS - this random forums post doesn't make any sense.

No, I know the same than you (I guess), but if Sony or MS think 3GB is needed, they know why.

A redesign would actually be cheaper in the end

Sure? at this point? Is not it supposed that this is impossible?

So, in your opinion, Sony were planning on 1GB for games and 3GB for the OS? This doesn't make any sense: Much more reputable sources have claimed a reasonable 1GB reserved for the OS - this random forums post doesn't make any sense.

err no, obviously they were planning on much less for the os when they had less. whatever the os uses it would be less than half the total for sure.

when ps4 was rumored at 4gb, the rumor was 512mb for os. now that they've moved to 8gb, people naturally assume they will now increase the os allocation accordingly, but we dont know how much.

err no, obviously they were planning on much less for the os when they had less. whatever the os uses it would be less than half the total for sure.

when ps4 was rumored at 4gb, the rumor was 512mb for os. now that they've moved to 8gb, people naturally assume they will now increase the os allocation accordingly, but we dont know how much.

MAybe more reserved ram allow more functions...

tmFftr0.jpg

You can taste it

LOL!

So, in your opinion, Sony were planning on 1 GB for games and 3 GB for the OS? This doesn't make any sense: Much more reputable sources have claimed a reasonable 1GB reserved for the OS - this random forums post doesn't make any sense.

Apparently, 512MB were planned originally. And we can't verify the identity of the poster, this is pretty much "random guy posting speculation contradicting everyone else".
Huh?

That's obvious, while at the same time limiting what can be done on the games side - that's why this is a delicate balancing act.

I just take issue with the random forums post that was posted as evidence of 3 GB.

my guess is it's true though. but we just dont know.

it checks out superficially. ratloop studios is a houston based company, but they have a Singapore branch, and they have released a ps3 title recently ( http://www.ratloop.com/?games ). so it's reasonable they might have ps4 kits.

if it's true i wonder if the video recording is what requires so much. the last 15 minutes able to be recorded at any time or whatever?

also i only know of one published one gb rumor, and it was from a ps4daily or some site i have never heard of.

anyways not sure why we're discussing ps4 hardware in here really.

That's obvious, while at the same time limiting what can be done on the games side - that's why this is a delicate balancing act.

I just take issue with the random forums post that was posted as evidence of 3 GB.

Nintendo reserves half system ram. I don't know if Sony will allow multitasking (games and apps) but the streaming function will need some ram.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No, I know the same than you (I guess), but if Sony or MS think 3GB is needed, they know why.

Sure? at this point? Is not it supposed that this is impossible?

It's not entirely impossible, but it would be incredibly difficult

Like... They'd need best board engineers in the world to do it and they'd have to be having their best day every day

Saving a few dollars saves hundreds of millions down the road

It's not entirely impossible, but it would be incredibly difficult

Like... They'd need best board engineers in the world to do it and they'd have to be having their best day every day

Saving a few dollars saves hundreds of millions down the road

I learned (from some sony gafers) that it is impossible, even if Microsoft have some ex-AMD and ex-IBM engineers xD

my guess is it's true though. but we just dont know.

it checks out superficially. ratloop studios is a houston based company, but they have a Singapore branch, and they have released a ps3 title recently. so it's reasonable they might have ps4 kits.

if it's true i wonder if the video recording is what requires so much. the last 15 minutes able to be recorded at any time or whatever?

also i only know of one published one gb rumor, and it was from a ps4daily or some site i have never heard of.

anyways not sure why we're discussing ps4 hardware in here really.
He said he is from singapore in this thread when he introduce their game
http://forum.gamer.com.tw/Co.php?bsn=60547&sn=38738

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really curious as to how MS will attack Japan this time around. Methinks they'll go for some timed or second party exclusives at the beginning of the gen to build hope and then see how it plays out from there so they can wean off of it if it doesn't pick up, like they sorta did with the 360. Sometimes I feel like its impossible for MS to penetrate Japan. They just don't have the IPs that resonate with those gamers, and Japan will always favour their home grown and solidified IPs from Sony and Ninty. I still think MS will try at the start though, they're not the type to ignore markets entirely (why I also think always online DRM is BS).

Rumoured bigger push into Europe probably just means some exclusive FIFA deal since they're already in bed with EA.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I learned (from some sony gafers) that it is impossible, even if Microsoft have some ex-AMD and ex-IBM engineers xD

Heh

But seriously

They are placing part orders now and need to be in mass production in the very near future

Any change would likely impact release date... Though since they didn't announce the release date, would it really be delayed?

Heh

But seriously

They are placing part orders now and need to be in mass production in the very near future

Any change would likely impact release date... Though since they didn't announce the release date, would it really be delayed?

I really don't care if durango is weaker than ps4, I want next Xbox this year.

For all we know it's true (however unlikely it seems), but you do realize that you are linking users from different forums? There's now way of knowing whether these are even the same person (and even then it doesn't even seem like a definite statement on the availability of 5GB).
I just google "o_sharp" and every same name pointed to from Singpore

And if you wanna same user name from same forum,here is
http://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-3384305-1-1.html
Same self-introduction in both forum,he even said everyone can ask him any question in the PS blog(or that forum)

So yeah,it's wired

How fucking crazy exciting is this...

I feel like a kid again when I used to get really excited to get copies of EDGE and MEAN MACHINES SEGA to read about Saturn. That was my only sources of news then so i had to wait a whole month to find out new stuff.

(although I was gutted when I discovered that Sega had been 'promoting' Saturn early-on using Model 1 and 2 screen grabs)

Not having leaks is actually great. I've started to hope nothing leaks before the event.

..... ah who am I kidding.

MS if you are SMART you will leak something to send the internets into a frenzy... just before Sony's PR teams go home for the weekend and they won't have people around for a couple of days to approve things internally.

Lift up the tent flap... just a little :)

Heh

But seriously

the change would already have been done. sometime between february and now, or maybe even earlier we really have no idea. we just wouldn't be hearing about it until may 21.

we've been through this a million times though, the likely only viable changes are doubling the ram density or increasing clocks.

For all we know it's true (however unlikely it seems), but you do realize that you are linking users from different forums? There's now way of knowing whether these are even the same person (and even then it doesn't even seem like a definite statement on the availability of 5GB).

just take it as one rumor among many. it will be a while if we know if it's confirmed.

heck it may be pretty hard to pin down firm confirmation ever. ps3's os reserve wasn't widely known, and it kept changing.

Really curious as to how MS will attack Japan this time around. .

i kinda figured they just wouldn't. just dont waste the resources.

they can probably still sell more than the 1.5m 360's sold in japan this gen, anyway, just by inertia and a little slow increased acceptance of xbox in japan over the years, without all the effort. if they expend a ton of effort, it will only get them just a little more imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i kinda figured they just wouldn't. just dont waste the resources.

they can probably still sell more than the 1.5m 360's sold in japan this gen, anyway, just by inertia and a little slow increased acceptance of xbox in japan over the years, without all the effort. if they expend a ton of effort, it will only get them just a little more imo.
I don't see them doing nothing though, I see them at least having a token game or two before they hang it up, just to do them a solid. I think doing nothing is a bad sign to consumers, worse than doing something even if its not impactful or the right thing necessarily.

I wonder if they for Versus as an exclusive, if that would dramatically change their relationship with consumers, or if any IP is strong enough.

I don't see them doing nothing though, I see them at least having a token game or two before they hang it up, just to do them a solid. I think doing nothing is a bad sign to consumers, worse than doing something even if its not impactful or the right thing necessarily.

I wonder if they for Versus as an exclusive, if that would dramatically change their relationship with consumers, or if any IP is strong enough.
We probably won't know what Microsoft has in store for Japan until the Tokyo Game Show in September. But it's going to be tough for them going up directly against PS4 at launch. They'd have to so something pretty drastic and megaton-worthy to have any success there.

Reiko

Banned
Stuff that would meltdown GAF:

The Final Fantasy Versus XIII official website updates 1 hour before the reveal

final-fantasy-versus-bekhg.jpg

Rampant speculation over whether it's part of the Xbox reveal or SE making their own announcement separately.

Krilekk

Banned
I have a feeling that CoD will allow crossplay functionality between 360 and 720 but not between PS3 and PS4. This would be huge thanks to the existing user base and make it very easy to keep your buddies and continue playing with them in Ghost, even while on different systems.

Has the tent spoken yet ?

: |

Not it jolly well has not.

It is a heartless bastard who does not care that he/she/it holds the keys to all of our hopes and all of our fears.

It is also a cheap slut that lifts its skirt for the Microsoft Xbox team, just because they have the cash. All the while it prepares to open it's flap to the media with gay abandon.

I am very disappointed that the tent shows this blatant disregard for our welfare... and we are the people who pay for it's very existence.

Disgusting, I tell you, DISGUSTING.

Someone should memo Balmer. I'm pretty sure he has a rocket propelled grenade under his desk in case he gets hungry in the morning and needs to teach his PA a lesson for not bringing a 'fresh from the oven' cinnamon bun. He should fire that into the damned tent.

SPEAKING OF WHICH. GIVE US SOME HOT AND TASTING FUCKING LEAKS YOU MOTHAFUCKERS.

Edit - and they had better fucking have some sprinkles on.

MasLegio

Banned
im pretty sure 1 gb of PS4s ram was separated for social and multitasking processes if I can remember the news around the release event correctly

So I guess that at most 6 gb will be used for games depending on OS footprint which we do not now much about

Ushae

Banned
Morning folks,

I'm guessing still no leaks? Good job to MS I guess. More megatons for us. I'm hoping to be blown away by the exclusive/1st party lineup, and specs.

If MS is smart should not waste resources in Japan.The next CW will be fought and decided in Europe.

MS aren't interested in console wars, only revenue.

Certainly they will be aggressively targeting Europe, but don't expect them to give up on Japan either. They want dem Japanese Live subscription drip feeds too.

It wouldn't be a waste either, they have more than enough resources to target the US, Europe and Japan at once.

Microsoft will take Japan seriously. I'm betting on major first party Japanese releases. Watch and see. They probably won't show these at the reveal, but they very well might at E3, and I certainly expect something to be shown at TGS or other big Japanese events.

Ales

Neo Member
MS aren't interested in console wars, only revenue.

Certainly they will be aggressively targeting Europe, but don't expect them to give up on Japan either. They want dem Japanese Live subscription drip feeds too.

It wouldn't be a waste either, they have more than enough resources to target the US, Europe and Japan at once.

When I speak of CW I am referring of course to the sales of the console.Europe is the only market where MS can grow but to do this the next xbox should not be less powerful than ps4
and have new exclusive IP (action, tps and rpg).Focus on services in Europe would be stupid given their absence in most of the various countries

Microsoft will take Japan seriously. I'm betting on major first party Japanese releases. Watch and see. They probably won't show these at the reveal, but they very well might at E3, and I certainly expect something to be shown at TGS or other big Japanese events.

Devil's Third. If they can lock it down and have it out in the launch window, it could become the natural successor to Ninja Gaiden. Not sure if it would help them in Japan though, seems a fools errand to keep trying to break that region.

Better focused on South America, India, Europe, China, etc. Seems more sensible to focus on emerging markets/Europe than try to break Japan yet again.

I don't think it's about trying to break Japan. It's about providing the types of content that can attract a wide range of gamers with specific tastes, gamers that will eventually end up buying the kinds of games that are in greater quantity on Xbox consoles.

I bought the Xbox 360 for two reasons. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. I had no interest at all in any Xbox franchise prior to that. I didn't even own the original Xbox. They successfully used the kinds of games that appeal to the type of gamer that Microsoft normally could not ever attract to their platform, and in doing so opened my eyes to their other franchises.

I'm now a big Halo fan, for example. Microsoft's goal should be to attract as diverse a customer base as humanely possible because it will benefit them in the long run. Ignoring the importance of Japanese content would not be wise. The Xbox 360 has much stronger Japanese developer support than the first Xbox ever had, and that made a lot of gamers more comfortable with a Microsoft platform. I like that I can buy Ultimate Ninja Storm games on the Xbox 360. Microsoft's investment may not have hit pay dirt with Japanese consumers, but it did with the Japanese development community.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devil's Third. If they can lock it down and have it out in the launch window, it could become the natural successor to Ninja Gaiden. Not sure if it would help them in Japan though, seems a fools errand to keep trying to break that region.

Better focused on South America, India, Europe, China, etc. Seems more sensible to focus on emerging markets/Europe than try to break Japan yet again.
India, South America and maaaybe China are lost causes when there's no way the next Xbox will be cheap enough or subsidized enough and too many tariffs in some cases to penetrate those markets. Too much poverty in general for any amount of returns. MS would be better off marketing the first Xbox in South America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom