• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PantherLotus said:
Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. A week on week perspective (upper graph) actually shows a CONTINUED slide to oblivion. 2k-5k per week for the foreseeable future.

● PS3 returns to normalcy (21k?) much sooner than gundabump fans would have liked. Even I had predicted a more prolonged bump in combination with recent announcements. The quicker-than-expected drop simply shows that it's going to take more than announcements and single titles. 19-25k for the next 4 weeks.

● The Wii is clearly dependent upon hardware shipments. While I am bullish on the Wii sales, I have to lower the expected average (in JPN) from 60-80k down to 50-70k for the next 3 weeks, with the expectation that Nintendo will drop a 200k bomb in the near near future (3rd week of April?

Wow, that is all I could say.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
That's off; I think you used only your post-holiday numbers for that calculation. 1834782/774033 = 2.37x.

1. You're right; I should say YTD, which is consistent with the "post holiday" moniker. I'll fix it.
2. You do 'em for attention too, huh? ;)

Vinnk

corez said:
Thanks Vinnk for the concise report on your small town.

Psss. Did you get any prons while you were in the fourth shop?.

You're welcome and not any more than I usually buy.

koam

donny2112 said:
JPNConsoles-3.png

The Wii finally starts going back up. :)

Can you start the chart at a lower number than 625000, like say 400000? it will make the 360/ps3 easier to read and i strongly doubt any console will go that high in a single week.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
koam said:
Can you start the chart at a lower number than 625000, like say 400000? it will make the 360/ps3 easier to read and i strongly doubt any console will go that high in a single week.
We should at least wait until Golden Week passes first, you never know.

Finn

These MC threads are really dying sooner and sooner nowadays. I feel like the HW numbers should have at least given us a few more pages of discussion. I think the Nintendomination really has worn GAF out.

Jiggy

Finn said:
These MC threads are really dying sooner and sooner nowadays. I feel like the HW numbers should have at least given us a few more pages of discussion. I think the Nintendomination really has worn GAF out.
Without Lance/Tabris/etc. sorts of posters around to make arguments which zero other people agree with, how could the threads grow much bigger than they do?

Fredescu

Finn said:
Quick, someone make a graph on MC thread post totals!

The software charts are almost identical to last week, so it's a little boring. Once something big hits I think we'll get a faster thread.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
When will be released Brain Age on the Wii? I think this game is gona help a bit to improve the momentun on Japan.

PkunkFury

perfectchaos007 said:
JPNConsoles-3.png

I like how the PS3 stays between the lines of the Wii and 360. No lines ever cross.

Well this chart is pretty telling. The Wii has no games so it's sales continue downwards, but the PS3 and 360 have stuff like Blue Dragon and Gundam providing nice sales spikes. As the Wii continues to have no games in the future, it's graph line will continue to fall. As for the PS3, each time another good game is released we can expect another Gundam style sales spike. So basically, the Wii is only selling because it deosn't cost that much, and people must've been buying it for the backwards compatibility

My Chemical Mouse said:
DMC3 sold 500k~, of course DMC4 is going to help PS3.

Fortunately, we can just adopt a 'time will tell' attitude on this. Obviously we are both speculating, and you're arguing from the point that DMC3 sold very well, and you're right about that. I'm arguing from the point that traditionally nice-selling series are not pushing sales the way they ought to. I think we will see a one-week bump the week DMC4 comes out, and obviously that's a 'help' to the PS3, but it's no saviour, nor even anything close to it.

So we shall see. I think we both have a good case for our arguments.

Nicktals

Banned
PkunkFury said:
Well this chart is pretty telling. The Wii has no games so it's sales continue downwards, but the PS3 and 360 have stuff like Blue Dragon and Gundam providing nice sales spikes. As the Wii continues to have no games in the future, it's graph line will continue to fall. As for the PS3, each time another good game is released we can expect another Gundam style sales spike. So basically, the Wii is only selling because it deosn't cost that much, and people must've been buying it for the backwards compatibility

I can never tell if people are sarcastic on GAF.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
My Chemical Mouse said:
DMC3 sold 500k~, of course DMC4 is going to help PS3.

I wonder if it will help the 360? Regardless, it's almost a foregone conclusion to which version will sell more WW.

PkunkFury

Nicktals said:

sorry, you guys were asking to make the thread longer, I don't think I'm up to it though... It's sad Tabris was posting in the thread just above this one, yet he stays away from here. Media Create sales threads will never be the same

It's almost a shame, I'm a Nintendo fan, but I was really hoping for a close race this gen. It's fun scouring the news everyday to try and figure out what releases will push which console that extra inch it needs. At least outside of Japan there are still some interesting battles being fought, but we rarely get the numbers :(

carlos

Nicktals said:

I think the last comment gives it away; who in Japan cares about backwards compatibility with the Gamecube?

It's either sarcasm, or we have our thread extender of the week!

edit: lol, beaten

apujanata

Fredescu said:
Quick, someone make a graph on MC thread post totals!

The software charts are almost identical to last week, so it's a little boring. Once something big hits I think we'll get a faster thread.

Edit : here is the chart (as complete as I can made it)

Edit : I think most people are atracted to the PS3 launch event failure topic, since it was more frustrating (anomaly) than the m-create topic :)

SRG01

schuelma said:
Since I'm new at this- is MGS that huge in Japan? I assume its big, but not FF/DQ massive?

Yes, yes it is.

I think it was said at one time that Kojima got death threats in Japan when he wanted to stop doing the franchise.

apujanata

Jiggy37 said:
Without Lance/Tabris/etc. sorts of posters around to make arguments which zero other people agree with, how could the threads grow much bigger than they do?

Tabris said:
I've been banned 4 times cause of media create threads and my last one basically told me not to go into them again. So well, unless you guys can convince the admins/mods to stop banning me, I can't argue with ya guys

Anyone wanted to help tabris ? :)

The picture of chair in the france topic is very funny.
PS3seats.jpg

And the actual url on the picture is even funnier.www.shkyw.org
late2.jpg

SRG01 said:
Yes, yes it is.

I think it was said at one time that Kojima got death threats in Japan when he wanted to stop doing the franchise.

Dude, Marvel gets death threats when they threaten to cancel Spider-Girl. That doesn't tell us how big the fanbase is, only how dangerously nutty they are.

MGS is a decent sized hit in Japan, nowhere near FF/DQ, sort of in the 1 million range. Like Anihawk said, about Final Fantasy III DS size.

jesusraz

For those that like the system breakdowns :)

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2007 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 121,471 | 108,512 | 1,718,359 | 9,141,683
2.) Wii - 67,070 | 44,495 | 915,139 | 1,834,782
3.) PlayStation Portable - 43,769 | 56,175 | 603,928 | 5,136,057
4.) PlayStation 3 - 21,635 | 32,115 | 316,475 | 774,033
5.) PlayStation 2 - 13,321 | 14,585 | 223,953 | 20,378,812
6.) Xbox 360 - 2,910 | 3,333 | 71,632 | 336,334
7.) Game Boy micro - 727 | 812 | 13,637 | 573,567
8.) Game Boy Advance SP - 557 | 679 | 11,145 | 5,927,028
9.) GameCube - 367 | 240 | 5,039 | 4,174,507
10.) Nintendo DS - 159 | 119 | 1,236 | 6,583,591
11.) Game Boy Advance - 9 | 13 | 474 | 8,823,583

- Nintendo DS Total: 15,725,274
- Game Boy Advance Total: 15,324,990

Mudhoney

PkunkFury said:
I'm going with the safe response.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

bry-bry said:
Whatever happened to competition being healthy? Japan is a sickly mess.

There is competition. Sony is still able to turn the corner at any time and trump the competition. That reality alone is keeping everyone on their toes.

jesusraz

jj984jj said:
66 PS2 祭 3100 100000 90
70 DS 究極 2500 2500 9(先週)
73 DS 大戦 2400 132000 81
77 PS2 ギタ 2300 12000 58
83 DS の迷 2000 74000 84

Can someone please translate those? All I get is:

66.) Festival
70.) Ultimate
73.) Great War
77.) Gita?
83.) Wandering

...which, of course, makes bugger all sense to me! :)

D3VI0US

360 will grab more marketshare than Xbox did and maybe even beat out the Gamecube. I'm just wondering about Wii's legs. As HDTV and Blu Ray catch on and PS3 prices come down sales will continue to climb, I mean it's future proof. :lol

Not to say that the Wii won't continue to sell well cause it has that universal appeal, but Nintendo still has the second and third string devs froms 3rd parties. If that doesn't start changing I don't see how Nintendo can support a console on their titles alone.

D3VI0US said:
360 will grab more marketshare than Xbox did and maybe even beat out the Gamecube. I'm just wondering about Wii's legs. As HDTV and Blu Ray catch on and PS3 prices come down sales will continue to climb, I mean it's future proof. :lol

Not to say that the Wii won't continue to sell well cause it has that universal appeal, but Nintendo still has the second and third string devs froms 3rd parties. If that doesn't start changing I don't see how Nintendo can support a console on their titles alone.

Did you miss PantherLotus' analysis where he stated clearly that the 360 would be lucky to break a million?

toypop

jesusraz said:
Can someone please translate those? All I get is:

66.) Festival
70.) Ultimate
73.) Great War
77.) Gita?
83.) Wandering

...which, of course, makes bugger all sense to me! :)

I think...

66.) Higurashi no nakukoroni matsuri
70.) Oishinbo DS recipe
73.) Super Robot War W
77.) Guitar Freaks & Drum Mania
83.) Sekaijyu

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
D3VI0US said:
I don't see how Nintendo can support a console on their titles alone.
Mario Kart, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, Wii Health, FZero, Punchout, Kirby, Star Fox, Pilotwings... You know, the usual suspects. :lol

Third parties are already releasing new IPs on the wii, not second and third string devs. And it's only the beginning. Wii is future proof because it SELLLS.

D3VI0US said:

Heh.

If that doesn't start changing I don't see how Nintendo can support a console on their titles alone.

Third party stuff is still very important, but I won't be surprised if Nintendo is capable of winning on the strength of their first party titles alone. Besides, it's a moot point to argue anyway because the majority of third party support ALWAYS goes to the console with the most momentum. Nintendo's first party stuff have demonstrated that they are more than capable to carry their consoles to that critical benchmark.

The fact that Animal Crossing, Brain Training and Nintendogs gave them the DS win and Wii Sports starting and cementing the Wii's lead(with no signs of stopping anytime soon) should tell you the strength of Nintendo's properties.

D3VI0US

Pureauthor said:
Did you miss PantherLotus' analysis where he stated clearly that the 360 would be lucky to break a million?

I saw his "analysis" and I just don't agree, I think the 360 will get well over a million on holiday and game release hardware bumps. Granted I don't have any kind of analysis but I do know Lost Odyssee should move some hardware, even if it is poopy. Could something like Mass Effect or Too Human catch on? Maybe not, but more Japanese support is there with stuff like Ace Combat, DMC4, and who knows what else as the playing field starts to level. I would think that makes the 360 slightly more attractive to the Japanese consumer.

Looking at the numbers again though I thought GC only sold just shy of 2 million but I realize it's at 4 million in Japan. No way 360 could ever hit 4 million, I was thinking it might get like 1.8 million so it's still doom and gloom in Japan.

enishi

toypop said:
I think...

66.) Higurashi no nakukoroni matsuri
70.) Oishinbo DS recipe
73.) Super Robot War W
77.) Guitar Freaks & Drum Mania
83.) Sekaijyu

I think
70 is the nth DS pachiko game released 2 weeks ago
73 is Sangoshi Taisen DS from Sega

D3VI0US said:

when the Wii hits $99, the real bloodbath will happen.

D3VI0US

marc^o^ said:
Mario Kart, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Wii Music, Wii Health, FZero, Punchout, Kirby, Star Fox, Pilotwings... You know, the usual suspects. :lol

Third parties are already releasing new IPs on the wii, not second and third string devs. And it's only the beginning. Wii is future proof because it SELLLS.

Yeah I know the usual suspects, it's a Nintendo platform afterall, so was the Cube. There just isn't much that interesting on the 3rd party front. It's gonna take more than Dewey's Adventure. I think the Wii has a good shot of being the number one platform in Japan but it's gonna take 3rd parties taking interest, and taking interest at the core gamer on the Wii. It's early in the gen but when games take 2 to 3 years to make you have to wonder if Nintendo can really keep the momentum going to attract enough support to keep it going. This isn't handhelds, Nintendo has strong viable competition.

Top Bottom