• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GRAW 2 360/PC/PS3 page Hype Page

For those interested, I'm in the process of organizing an "Ultimate Defender" achievement try FRI @ 9:00 pm est. For those interested, let me know.

Tag = DR3AMR

JB1981

Treo360 said:
Why are so many people so damned afraid of playing with explosives? Sigh. I just went searching for some games and neaarly all of them had them turned off. Launchers I can live without, but I have to have my claymores :p

Explosives tax the servers.

acklame

so does the PS3 version have offline co-op for the missions? what about having multiple players going online from one console?

wait, i don't think the ps3 version is even out...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Damn the ending sucked balls. They didn't even bother trying to make an ending. Still liked the game though, but I'm not sure if it I like it more than the first game

Time to hit up the co-op

EekTheKat

The
solo
missions were still a pain in the ass :lol I totally dig controlling multiple units though. Also it was a nice touch to see
a couple familiar ghosts pop up as support as Charlie team
in one of the later missions.

Also I felt like I cheated in the single player campaign somehow, since I managed to
keep the camera gun
throughout most of the campaign by
dropping it on a ground before each rally point and picking it back up again afterwards

It's fun, the graphics are gorgeous, wish it was longer and bigger in scale.

Emowii

Banned
Well, i'm about to start this game up soon. I was wondering if there are any big bugs that should make me wait til a patch. Some people on other boards were complaining about freezes and such. Is this happening a lot?

tegdf

Emowii said:
Well, i'm about to start this game up soon. I was wondering if there are any big bugs that should make me wait til a patch. Some people on other boards were complaining about freezes and such. Is this happening a lot?

I haven't had any problems

EekTheKat

I had a few DRE's, and sometimes my 360 says "In order to play this game you have to put it in an xbox360" - but that's about it.

Oh and the Dam multiplayer map lags a lot frameratewise, least compared to the other maps.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wario64 said:
Damn the ending sucked balls. They didn't even bother trying to make an ending. Still liked the game though, but I'm not sure if it I like it more than the first game

Time to hit up the co-op

:lol i was thinking the same. worst ending in quite some time... they could have at least had the helicopter fly you out while the credits rolled... hell, the credits didnt even have music playing during them... wtf?

i just wrapped up the campaign, and while it was really awesome and a step up from the first game, god damn was it short. i completed the whole thing on the default difficulty in a single days playing, so it couldnt have taken me more then 5 hours at the very most.

Llyranor

I just finished GRAW1 today and booted up GRAW2. I'm probably about halfway now. Playing them back-to-back, GRAW2's gameplay and technical improvements are nicely appreciated. It's been a pretty fun experience so far. The chopper MG scenarios are my favorite.

The music is just awesome. It really helps to up the intensity when an epic battle picks up. Very awesome.

The lack of a main campaign coop is a real shame, but at least there's some sort of coop. I'm not sure why they had to take out 3rd person view and the cover system for multiplayer, though :/

Brakara

Llyranor said:
The lack of a main campaign coop is a real shame, but at least there's some sort of coop. I'm not sure why they had to take out 3rd person view and the cover system for multiplayer, though :/

You can play in 3rd person view in multiplayer though.

If I ever accused this game of being a quick and dirty sequel, I should be ashamed of myself. This is how sequels should be done. Build on what works, introduce new ideas, objects and scenarios, and then ship it. Certain elements of GRAW that I wasn't particularly partial to are still in the game, but this seems like a much more substantial product than the first GRAW.

Deepblue

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
If I ever accused this game of being a quick and dirty sequel, I should be ashamed of myself. This is how sequels should be done. Build on what works, introduce new ideas, objects and scenarios, and then ship it. Certain elements of GRAW that I wasn't particularly partial to are still in the game, but this seems like a much more substantial product than the first GRAW.

I want to buy it, but they didn't make the magazines COME out of the guns!!! Gargh.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
For those waiting for the PS3 version, I heard it should be running very nicely. Only big difference with the 360 version is that there is no FSAA (due to HDR+FSAA issue on RSX)

Blimblim said:
For those waiting for the PS3 version, I heard it should be running very nicely. Only big difference with the 360 version is that there is no FSAA (due to HDR+FSAA issue on RSX)

Shocked.jpg

What.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's a well documented issue with NVidia GPUs. Until the 8 series you couldn't have both HDR and FSAA at the same time, at least in standard modes. That's why Ninja Theory created a new HDR mode they called NAO32 that works with FSAA.
Multiplatform devs most certainly won't take the time for such stuff until later in this generation's life.

Lince

Banned
Blimblim said:
For those waiting for the PS3 version, I heard it should be running very nicely. Only big difference with the 360 version is that there is no FSAA (due to HDR+FSAA issue on RSX).

only one big change that's ok, but how many minor differences? I'd like to have the best version available for this game (even if it ends up being the PC one)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I decided to go ahead and grab this game last week (on sale) and am enjoying it just as much as the original. There's just something about these GRAW titles that really work well for me. Vegas couldn't compare and Splinter Cell isn't my cup of tea. GRAW is just so incredibly entertaining.

Blimblim said:
It's a well documented issue with NVidia GPUs. Until the 8 series you couldn't have both HDR and FSAA at the same time, at least in standard modes. That's why Ninja Theory created a new HDR mode they called NAO32 that works with FSAA.
Multiplatform devs most certainly won't take the time for such stuff until later in this generation's life.
I wonder if they'll use AF instead (as has been the case with many multiplatform titles where AA is dropped)?

The "problem" I have with this game isn't even really related to the quality of the game itself, but more related to how it compares to Ghost Recon of old. Based on what I've played so far, the focus seems to be on technology, and how you utilize that technology in condensed response warfare. The battles are larger, louder and more intense, which in itself is pretty cool, but it feels pretty detached from the original Ghost Recon. You don't feel like a ghost in the same sense as in the old games, and I do miss that. And I still prefer the clean look of MP to the fx-ridden but cluttered SP.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Blimblim said:

Thanks Blimblim.

Kinda odd we now know more about the ps3 version of GRAW2 than Rainbow Six Vegas, when RSV is coming out in like 4 weeks (which was actually supposed to come out months ago).

Have you heard anything about RSV perhaps?

DaCocoBrova said:
This game is too short.
How long is it?

Bad_Boy said:
Thats always good. Gives a game legs. :)

How's the co-op?
It's ok, only six missions though and it doesn't look anything like the single player. Multiplayer isn't great either but I do agree that it's fully featured (different engine). It just bothers me that the multiplayer in GRAW 2 is virtually unchanged compared to Ghost Recon 2, and I already hated it there.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You're right, it actually looks better. Cleaner and with less faux shit effects designed to emulate shit optical flaws.
Not quite. Worse framerate, less detail on some part, shoddy animation, worse explosions and lots of screen tearing. It obviously looks prettier than GRAW 1's multiplayer and it has sharper textures than the SP, but I wouldn't necessarily call the MP the better looking half of the game...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, impressions from a non-shooter fan:

Well, I shouldn't say that. I played the first one, Gears, R6, and a few other big Xbox 360 shooters like Lost Planet and such, but I'm not the biggest fan. So I added it to my Gamefly queue cause I didn't have much else to play. Finally got it the other day and I'm alternating between this and Pokemon.

I think Graw 2 is significantly better than Graw 1 in mission design, and I liked them both better than Rainbow 6 Vegas. But I have some issues with the game. I'm only through the middle of Act 2-- I just saved the journalist or whatever and I'm heading to the extraction point now. Perhaps it is the end of act 2.

Anyway, I much, much prefer this seamless mission structure to what Graw 1 had, which was basically "GO HERE GO HERE GO HERE GO HERE GO HERE" carrot-on-a-string mechanic. I remember wanting to know when the hell it was going to end. I find Graw 2's single player missions to be nicely paced and a good length, but looking at the achievements, are there only three acts? Seems like a pretty short game!

Graphically, the game lacks the same awe the first one had...mainly cause it's been surpassed I think (unlike the other games when the first one came out), and also, because it isn't the first game. Nice touches though, like dirt blowing around, sun glare, etc. Feels really authentically "PUEBLO." At least that's the impression I got from it. It feels like a much cleaner game than R6. Other than the character models, which I think are a little ugly looking. And they don't animate as well as R6. Mitchell kind of glides across the ground like an ice ballerina. I have no idea why Ubi got UE3 for R6, cause Graw looks better.

GRAW to me is infinitely more fun than R6 because I enjoy the large open environments and the outdoorsy feeling, but the biggest problem I have with the game are the AI settings. The AI has to be special olympics quality. They just can't seem to get anything done on their own. In R6, I'd give a command and basically sit back and watch as my teammates carried out whatever I wanted. I'd step in and take care of what they couldn't. In this game, I give them strategic positioning and in a few minutes they're usually still there...failing at life. They suck and they're really annoying. I set a C4 charge in the mission where I had the Mexican soldiers with me...they all ran away from the C4 and were safe, my team ran TO the C4 and exploded, wasting three medkits. Great.

The sound is much improved from last year. I can remember only a few memorable pieces from GRAW1, like Zocalo Plaza. This game has interesting music. It's almost operatic at points.

I don't like controlling the mule/cypher/teammates in first person. To me it is just a distraction from the main game...which is shooting enemies because my teammates can't. Someone described it to me as "only 10 seconds" at a time, but I'd say it's a pretty unfun ten seconds to have to man the stupid cypher. 10 seconds of unfun. Bungie would be very unhappy.

I don't play multiplayer for various reasons, but mainly because I tried a match and I was dropped in like instance I tried to get in. Hooray Ubi!

Also, I think their attempts at story/dialog need to stop. This is not the first Clancy game where I find myself rolling my eyes. Mitchell: I HAVE NO NAME. Sure you do, I can see it on the back of your little outfit. Also, two different, "Keep your eyes on the road," references. :lol Whatever, don't even try. We get it, he's a tough guy.

Anyway, fun game.

edit: And I'm waiting for the PS3 version so I can laugh at it.

Kingpen

I will rebuy this again in about a year when it hits 20 bucks... I got about 22 hours out of 12 bucks the first time I bought it, so I am happy. I like the GRAW games alot....

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I guess I should open this game sometime.

I promise, I will play GRAW2 very soon.

pj

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
GRAW to me is infinitely more fun than R6 because I enjoy the large open environments and the outdoorsy feeling, but the biggest problem I have with the game are the AI settings. The AI has to be special olympics quality. They just can't seem to get anything done on their own. In R6, I'd give a command and basically sit back and watch as my teammates carried out whatever I wanted. I'd step in and take care of what they couldn't. In this game, I give them strategic positioning and in a few minutes they're usually still there...failing at life. They suck and they're really annoying. I set a C4 charge in the mission where I had the Mexican soldiers with me...they all ran away from the C4 and were safe, my team ran TO the C4 and exploded, wasting three medkits. Great.

Even though you really hate controlling things that aren't the main character, you can make the friendly AI a lot better by holding RB and assigning individual targets to them. Or if that's too much bother, just put them someplace to distract the enemy and flank by yourself

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I set a C4 charge in the mission where I had the Mexican soldiers with me...they all ran away from the C4 and were safe, my team ran TO the C4 and exploded, wasting three medkits. Great.

My guys did the same thing! I was even giving them the "regroup" command and they were saying "I can't do that sir" just before they got blown up!:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it.

Muahauhauhauhauha Ubisoft, stop trying to write meaningful stories and dialog. Muhauhauahuahuahauhauha. First R6's little story excitement and now this melodramatic puke. If they simply wanted to assign the player an avatar and then fellate the avatar to death for some feel good purpose, I suggest they add loot drops and invincibility to Graw 3 (due Feb 2008!) for maximum benefit.

Cool single player though. Enjoyed the game. Gonna send it off back to Gamefly now.

So... Been playing this coop at a friend and having a blast but now a new update came and they changed the way they cut up the screen! Instead of gears of war style they have a las vegas splitscreen style... ANy way to change this back?

chriskun

I just borrowed this game from a friend, SP was pretty cool despite the shite ending, but ****in-a is it hard to get into a MP match. Everytime i join one i get called a ***-jew by the host and then booted.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Sorry to revive an old thread but I need an outlet for some serious frustration.

As a huge Ghost Recon fan, I buy GRAW2 on day one. I play a lot of multiplayer, learn the maps, everything is cool. I'm really liking it. Not to beat my own drum too loudly, I consider myself to be a good player. I quickly rank up to level 4.

Then my 360 breaks, which is fine since I had it since launch day. I send out a request for a coffin, mail it back of MS, and wait for a new one. I'm console-less from April 12th to April 25th.

I load up some GRAW, eager to get back into it. I join a room. Most of the players in the room now have ranks between 5-8, compared to 1-4 when my 360 broke down. I'm waiting for some more players to join when I receive a message "you have been ejected from the room." I don' think too much about it. I join another room. I get the message "you have been ejected from the room." I start to clue into what's happening.

I am no longer 'permitted' to play because my rank is too low!!!

If you didn't know, Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, set ranked games up to give more points for killing higher ranked players. If you don't rank up quickly or are new to the game, you're going to have one hell of a hard time getting into a ranked game. I feel real sorry for people getting this game a few months after its release. If I can't get into a game, how the hell are rank 1 players going to survive? How does this encourage long-term sales for the game?

Before you say "play player matches", I hate player matches. I don't play ranked because I feel better about myself for getting ranked up. I could really care less. I play ranked because I want to play the best players. The game is a lot more fun this way.

So, Ubisoft, please don't implement this feature again. In R6, you rank up slower if you suck and faster if you win often. You get points for playing, period. Everyone ranks up, eventually. In GRAW, you can't rank up if you lose. And, you rank up slower if you play lower ranked players. It's a huge, if not impossible barrier, for new people to the game.

/rant

Top Bottom