• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Video And Livestream Nomura Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. With FFXIV and Lightning Returns out relatively soon, will Square have more teams available for more work on SP FF games? I'd really like to see XV and XVI this gen, maybe even XVII if possible. I miss the days of having multiple totally unique FF games in one gen.

Question. With FFXIV and Lightning Returns out relatively soon, will Square have more teams available for more work on SP FF games? I'd really like to see XV and XVI this gen, maybe even XVII if possible. I miss the days of having multiple totally unique FF games in one gen.

Definitely yeah.
SE Osaka is working on KHIII
Nomura's team on XV
Once XIV and LR are out there's a lot of people left to work on XVI (work would have already started no doubt)

duckroll

Hypothetically, yes. I certainly hope that S-E's console output in the coming generation is more robust than the current one. It has certainly been a struggle.

Voror

I posted this yesterday but the thread got locked.

Good points. It is also important to account for more party members joining down the line as is common in FF.

What Nomura and his team are doing doesn't affect what another team could be doing for another Final Fantasy game. Bear in mind, like you said, this is technically a project from years and years ago. It's not like SE doesn't have other people who can work on another FF project whilst this one is getting the brunt of the attention.

Being targeted internally for 2014, and they're apparently doing well at the moment, so let's hope they stick with that. If this delays, then other things delay and that would suck. I want to play this sooner rather than later too.

Also, still can't get used to new Stella. Been a while, and I don't think I'll take to the new design. He should have stuck with the old one. She looks more fake.

I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't have some kind of development going on another mainline FF title, even if it's only basic tossing ideas around. They want to repair the brand as said by the new CEO, right?

Ah, that's good to hear at least. I'd expect Late 2014 if we don't see delays of any kind. Could be a great Christmas gift :)

That's true about this being delayed interfering with other projects like KH3 or XVI coming sooner. Hope for the best I suppose.

I need to see a cutscene or something with this new design in motion before I can make a final judgement myself. On the fence right now.

Hypothetically, yes. I certainly hope that S-E's console output in the coming generation is more robust than the current one. It has certainly been a struggle.

Definitely yeah.
SE Osaka is working on KHIII
Nomura's team on XV
Once XIV and LR are out there's a lot of people left to work on XVI (work would have already started no doubt)

This is good to hear. I'm hoping we get a teaser for FFXVI at TGS this year, didn't someone on GAF claim we'd see it before the end of the year?

boys girls, clean faces not clean faces. I just hope the characters are interesting and fun and not just moppy pretty boys.

atm, the cast feels like reskins or extras out of Advent Children.

I guess characters really do matter the most, along with battle system for jrpgs.

I guess plot too... but it's been like a decade or so in which i've played a jrpg that i really cared about the plot and that's probably because I was dumb and young.

Yes and they will immediately create the greatest game in FF history under Lord Itou-sama.

Jarnet87

I think they have to pump out at least 1 other mainline Final Fantasy title for the upcoming gen. They've had a head start turning Versus 13 into 15, and by all accounts developing games on these two consoles is as easy as ever. No reason we shouldn't see FF16, and possibly even FF17.

Please give Ito 16, or some project to work on !

Verendus

Banned
One thing I would love to know eventually is the scale of the map in this game. It's apparently massive, but it'd be good to see how the cities and general map is created. That's probably the most exciting thing really.

And that water city is so damn beautiful. I love the aesthetic. It just has a nice mix of the European/ME to it.

Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Doesn't the minimum FF party consist of 6 characters post FFV? Maybe they'll add in Stella as the 6th.

... I'm having dirty thoughts now

jett

D-Member
Lol characters do look like they belong in The Bouncer 2. Whoever said this game was Nomura's own power fantasy was on the money.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well yes, but SE are a big company, there's nothing to stop pre-production and engine development in the background.

Oh I understand that. Knowing SE, they already started disseminating a good chunk of the XIV workers to go help existing projects. I'm just saying SE's major focus should be on XV right now.

Doesn't the minimum FF party consist of 6 characters post FFV? Maybe they'll add in Stella as the 6th.

... I'm having dirty thoughts now

ultros stahp

Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

Knew it would be. Inb4 people claim it won't be a 'true' FF because it's not command based or whatever, lol

Voror

Oh, really now? Not surprised by what I stated early, but interesting to hear all the same. Yeah, I'd expect we won't hear anything on a new mainline until XV releases so probably not till 2015. Something that hasn't been done before certainly has my attention.

Famassu

Let's work on the games announced first yeah?
At some point just throwing more people at a project will not help the game be done any faster (managing an ever-growing team takes effort and possibly isn't worth the time) + they need to have projects under way all the time lest there be too long dry periods with nothing to release.

boys girls, clean faces not clean faces. I just hope the characters are interesting and fun and not just moppy pretty boys.

atm, the cast feels like reskins or extras out of Advent Children.

I guess characters really do matter the most, along with battle system for jrpgs.

I guess plot too... but it's been like a decade or so in which i've played a jrpg that i really cared about the plot and that's probably because I was dumb and young.

Speaking as a fashionista(lite) it's cool they have designer clothes I think but yo not all deisgner duds are black. Everyone seems to be rocking a black outfit. Not sure if that was a design choice, team choice, or something.

Verendus

Banned
What do people think of the combat system? When I saw it, I thought there are some shortcut commands. Because there were some spells happening that I couldn't understand where from, but were obviously instigated by the MC since they matched his movement. Does this hold true to the thinking some of you have had after seeing the actual gameplay? Obviously, I'm not very good at analysing that, but it's the impression I got. If I remember right, even in the trailer they've shown now, there is a moment where Noctis is leaping and activates a magic spell or something. But, I don't see how that'd be done by a command menu as it'd be clunky.

Knew it would be. Inb4 people claim it won't be a 'true' FF because it's not command based or whatever, lol
Haha. See Agni, see a subtle hint for what I may be referring to in regards to a certain gameplay aspect (not so subtle when you know it though)!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
At some point just throwing more people at a project will not help the game be done any faster (managing an ever-growing team takes effort and possibly isn't worth the time) + they need to have projects under way all the time lest there be too long dry periods with nothing to release.

I understand that. I'm not saying put 1000 people on it because it'll be ready by next month. I'm just saying their priority should be getting XV out on the window first before putting XVI into full production or whatnot.

Haha. See Agni, see a subtle hint for what I may be referring to in regards to a certain gameplay aspect!

Perhaps we can fly on summons?

I understand that. I'm not saying put 1000 people on it because it'll be ready by next month. I'm just saying their priority should be getting XV out on the window first before putting XVI into full production or whatnot.

Of course, that's how SE develop all of their stuff - they have a lot of projects in pre-production and then go into full production of a particular title leading to its release - that's where XV is right now. Also why it seemed like certain games (Versus) was stuck in development hell, because the XIV debacle forced a lot of stuff to stay in the pre-production stages. It's XV that's got all the focus now ;D

Famassu

Seems like you only control noctis and bad ai controls the other guys anyhow.
Unless they've changed it, you'll have control over other characters than just Noctis. They are possibly just not showing it yet because they wanted to do a big Noctis (new) gameplay debut.

I'm not sure, but the trailer has one quick clip where it looks like you're controlling that gun dude (I'm bad with names, still haven't learned any others but Noctis and Stella), the camera angle is such and Noctis isn't the focus of the shot.

raven777

is the new party member this guy??

qBJMpVX.jpg

What do people think of the combat system? When I saw it, I thought there are some shortcut commands. Because there were some spells happening that I couldn't understand where from, but were obviously instigated by the MC since they matched his movement. Does this hold true to the thinking some of you have had after seeing the actual gameplay? Obviously, I'm not very good at analysing that, but it's the impression I got. If I remember right, even in the trailer they've shown now, there is a moment where Noctis is leaping and activates a magic spell or something. But, I don't see how that'd be done by a command menu as it'd be clunky.

In seperate parts in trailer, the commands change from"Warp" and "Attack" to "Items" and "Magic".

So to keep clutter down I guess you swap commands.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fairly obvious now, but noticed a green park/field type area in the battle system trailer.

You can see it in the distance.

So the Venice city definitely isn't the same location as the Tokyo resembling location.

Seems like its safe to say at least 2 sprawling city type locations confirmed!

Famassu

It will be. Now that XIV 2.0 is probably very close to going gold, I'm sure they'll shift workforce accordingly (probably most to help finish Lightning Returns, some to build up XV team size and probably some to unannounced projects). XV is clearly the next big thing after LR & XIV, so I doubt they'd put too much focus on a game further down the line if they know the team size they have now can't finish XV by the end of 2014.

Fairly obvious now, but noticed a green park/field type area in the battle system trailer.

You can see it in the distance.

So the venice city definitely isn't the same location as the Tokyo resembling location.

Seems like its safe to say at least 2 sprawling city type locations confirmed!

Haha of course it's different, you must have forgot the 2011 trailer with all of the glass skyscrapers and motorways ;p

My guess - this city = Noctis's place, it is attacked by the creepy looking guy who summons Leviathan to destroy it and take the crystal

The Tokyo-like place is Stella's hometown, and after being attack Noctis and team travel there which eventually leads to them both meeting (in the scene where Noct is wearing the tux)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom