• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
i am not sure what to say. its the only game comparing to Forza.. and on a system that should be more powerful. makes me wonder where is all that extra power ?

Maybe you could wait for the console and game to release before you start getting into topics of power or lack thereof?

Sheesh.

Caddle

I can't believe after having blims vid of forza 5 being played on the show floor people are still asking if forza really looks good. I would say they are the same people who fell for all the hype about the hardware difference. Forza 5 looks like the best damn game at E3.

Raymo

Shamelessly reposting this as any racing game fan should appreciate this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_1rysu5_Q&feature=youtu.be

This is footage from somebody playing it on the floor.

Thanks. I think the main problem with what we are seeing with driveclub is the environment. It is probably the most bland environment they could have shown. I'd really like to see an environment with as much detail as seen in this forza demo to see a good comparison.

spwolf

They nailed the lighting, around 3:50 with the sunset, the lighting in the cockpit is so natural and realistic.
The rest needs to be improved.
Do we know if the game is gonna feature city based tracks?

it looks good to me, but i cant really judge from these off screen videos... i just hope it is fun to play... when it comes to arcade racers, not sure how can they be fun unless you are crashing around, and doesnt seem like you are crashing here.

i never saw lighting like this in a game though, dusk looks amazing and hard to see anything, like in real life.

hopefully it supports steering wheels and plays good, or else my time will be taken with GT6. All the social stuff actually looks fine.

AngryBird

Banned
The environment isn't realistic(trees being one of the things).

Also Forza 5 is looking better on 50% weaker hardware @60 fps + OS is using more resources. The NFS Rivals also looks better and is more complete than both.

I like the game though. I like what they are doing with club thing.

Mifune

Mehmber
Don't know how anyone can judge anything from these off-screen videos. One of the great things about next gen will be the great image quality which obviously is lost here. Everything looks current gen to me, to be honest.

I can't believe after having blims vid of forza 5 being played on the show floor people are still asking if forza really looks good. I would say they are the same people who fell for all the hype about the hardware difference. Forza 5 looks like the best damn game at E3.

I wouldnt even put it in the top 5. Killzone, Infamous, Battlefield, Division, FFXV, MGSV, Witcher 3, Watch Dogs all look more impressive.

Hardware differences are pretty significant, even if you want to just check the PC equivalent graphics cards there is a decent difference. This is an objective fact given what we know about the specs. Nothing supposed it about it I am afraid.

Aspiring

I have to admit, as probably my most anticipated launch game it is indeed worrying, however I will believe them that this build is only 30% finished and hope for the best. Personally it doesn't look so bad but I guess could be better.

Also I'm sure direct feed would help.

sneaky77

HUD is far too cluttered. I really hope there is a way to turn off those notifications. So distracting.

According to some dev interview they have already toned it down on their latest internal builds.

I don't really get this thread at all but to each their own. I think a lot of the next gen games including DriveClub look pretty impressive. And that's watching video which is going to miss detail and not finished games made on not finalized hardware and the first touch of contact for these developers in this hardware.. games will of course get better over the years.. like they have in every single gen.

Shaneus

35% finished and less than 6 months to go?

Okay...
They're not using a build they made yesterday. Likely it's their most recent *stable* build. Better to have something stable at 35% rather than something that crashes at 60%.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wouldnt even put it in the top 5. Killzone, Infamous, Battlefield, Division, FFXV, MGSV, Witcher 3, Watch Dogs all look more impressive.
I agree with that. Its up there, though. I dont think anybody truly being reasonable can say its not very impressive. But yea, there were so many mind-blowing games its hard to say it was the best or anything.

Hardware differences are pretty significant, even if you want to just check the PC equivalent graphics cards there is a decent difference. This is an objective fact given what we know about the specs. Nothing supposed it about it I am afraid.
No doubt the PS4 is more powerful, but we haven't seen any games so far really show it at all. I was expecting a noticeable difference in 1st party software between the two and I see none whatsover so far. I'm sure it'll come, though.

sneaky77

No doubt the PS4 is more powerful, but we haven't seen any games so far really show it at all. I was expecting a noticeable difference in 1st party software between the two and I see none whatsover so far. I'm sure it'll come, though.

You were expecting a noticeable difference in launch titles with all the devs rushing in non final hardware? Also don't forget the jump to 8gb ram wasn't made until late february..

I think if a difference ever is truly noticeable it will be in a couple of years.

qko

I remember playtesting the reboot to Medal of Honor in 4 months before it was released. I made similar comment about how the game looked like an unpolished mess and all the other play testers laughed me off saying they had 4 months to finish the game.

Game looked like the same unpolished mess when it released. And pretty sure it was panned by critics for the awful graphics.

So if this game is 6 months away, I hope Sony's dev cycle is different than EA's and they have plans to fix these problems for launch.

Seanspeed

Banned
You were expecting a noticeable difference in launch titles with all the devs rushing in non final hardware? Also don't forget the jump to 8gb ram wasn't made until late february..

I think if a difference ever is truly noticeable it will be in a couple of years.
A good point, but yea, I was still expecting SOME difference. Its likely that Microsoft made the switch to 8GB pretty late, too, according to some rumors.

OryoN

The gameplay footage of InFamous is absolutely amazing.

I dont think either KZ or Infamous have been underwhelming visually.

From the new gameplay footage(during the press conf) KZ made some improvements since we last saw it. I didn't get to check out the hands-on from this one yet, but I'm not very surprised, because from the very first reveal, this game was never hiding behind a convenient "it-not-gameplay-but-its-in-engine" PR wall. While I don't know if I'd call what I saw of KZ "absolutely amazing", but it's impressive enough not to be lumped with the 'others.'

Now with Infamous, I'm going to have to disagree with you guys. This is one of the games where I actually did see hand-on footage. While it still a good looking game, it wasn't any where near the quality of the supposedly "realtime" reveal trailer. Same with Drive Club. Knack, which I also saw hands-on of, isn't particularly impressive but it looks just fine for that type of game. Like KA:SF, Knack was never in danger of not hitting it's visual target because we knew from day 1 how it looked during gameplay.

To put things in perspective, I saw that 13 min gameplay footage of Bayonetta 2, and my freaking jaw hit the floor(train scene and boss fight). The point I'm making is that the hype - crated via some really "suspect" reveal trailers - that was centered around these games for their visuals completely vanished into thin air the moment I saw these games actually being played. Now, there's time between now and launch to make improvements, but currently, it is what it is.

Afrikan

I remember playtesting the reboot to Medal of Honor in 4 months before it was released. I made similar comment about how the game looked like an unpolished mess and all the other play testers laughed me off saying they had 4 months to finish the game.

Game looked like the same unpolished mess when it released. And pretty sure it was panned by critics for the awful graphics.

So if this game is 6 months away, I hope Sony's dev cycle is different than EA's and they have plans to fix these problems for launch.

well thankfully Evolution has a history of the opposite.

Remember Motorstorm and how quickly that got upgraded?

Not worried.

Evolution of motorstorm:

GDC 2006 build 00:00 - 01:13
E3 2006 build 01:13 - 01:57
TGS 2006 build 01:57 - 03:12
Gamers Day 2006 build 03:12

https://vimeo.com/987411

At least there won't be any Driveclub vs Forza 5 threads, thats for sure.

LCfiner

Some high quality 1080p footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZsPfPp-_s

edit: some 3rd person view at the end

lighting, car detail and environment all look pretty impressive. I think I saw some foliage pop in form the distance. I expect that to get fixed.

the framerate seemed poor but I don't know if that;s the video or the game. I'd be shocked if it released with sub 30 fps, jittery framerate. I'm really expecting that to get worked out before release.

I'd love a 60 fps game but that's no guarantee.

GodofWine

Im not judging pre-alpha code via youtube, it'll look good.

They probably had to use code from months ago to be able to put together a playable demo for E3.

They did the same crap with MS:pR's demo, it played awesome, and they clearly said it was pre-alpha, but the internet raged against them...then they released the best arcade racer of the generation.

And, since this is a PS+ release, all eyes, and I mean ALL EYES are gonna be on it, so Im expecting them to put out something representative of their and the machines potential.

CLEEK

Not sure if I care for the social-features focus.

I'm not much into driving games, but I love me some Burnout, and will likely go with the Crew.

Where is my next gen Wipeout, and Stardust, for that matter?

Wipeout is dead, or at the least, in a long term coma. Sony Liverpool was closed down last year. By all account, they were working on a PS4 Wipeout, which breaks my heart to hear. Some staff were relocated to other Sony studios. Obviously, Sony still own the IP and it could still see light of day, but sales of the recent outings have been poor (even if Wipeout HD will stand the tests of time as one of the best games this gen).

In better news, Housemarque already announced they're working on a PS4 Stardust.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is what I've expected, particularly with 3rd party games. I'm just not seeing it yet. I expected things to be noticeable pretty immediately with the PS4 not having the difficult Cell architecture the PS3 had, which frustrated 3rd party devs before.

We'll see, though. I'm sure what Jack is saying will be true, if not at launch, then soon after. But I'll give MS credit for so far bringing the graphics. I think everybody expected Sony to shade them here, but they haven't yet, and thats impressive to me.

We're getting pretty far off-topic now, sorry.

Seanspeed

Banned
Good thing its a free game for PS+ members.
You get a version with less content with the purchase of a PS+ membership to be accurate. Its not free anymore than online gaming was free with XboxLive Gold.

Do we know if this is 60fps or not?

They said they were aiming for 60fps, but somebody earlier reported this is only running at 30 at the moment, as its an early build.

CLEEK

One point to remember is neither Sony or MS have released their final dev kits, based on actual production silicon. Both console dev kits are just PCs with similar target specs. As thuway and others have stared previously, the Xbone dev kit is currently more powerful than the final console. Even more so if the rumoured clock downgrade occurs.

I think there will be obvious difference between PS4 and Xbone games come launch time, once devs have had a chance to optimise against final hardware.

Raistlin

35% finished and less than 6 months to go?

Okay...
my guess? The PSN version is essentially a beta, and the retail sales rev will hit next year.

Think about it, this gives them time to concentrate on the core engine and game play mechanics while only having to worry about the design and assets for a few vehicles and courses.

Better yet, the 'beta' allows them to hash out the social and net code for the game. It's one of the biggest features, and also a pretty new concept. They have to get that right, and this is the logical way to do it.

Caddle

The thing is, I waited to see the games for myself while someone is playing not that bullshit in game trailer shit. Too many people jumped to conclusion about what these two systems would do, and looking at the games shown so far they were very wrong.

Lingitiz

my guess? The PSN version is essentially a beta, and the retail sales rev will hit next year.

Think about it, this gives them time to concentrate on the core engine and game play mechanics while only having to worry about the design and assets for a few vehicles and courses.

Better yet, the 'beta' allows them to hash out the social and net code for the game. It's one of the biggest features, and also a pretty new concept. They have to get that right, and this is the logical way to do it.

The Plus version is the full game with less cars and tracks.

Weather, day night cycles, you can set the time at any time of the day and the atmosphere will be replicated to reflect that time frame. This is what I learned from the dev talk on playstation ustream and he says the graphics will get better.

Can Forza do dynamic weather? can forza do day night cycles? Can you set the time of the race and have it accurately reflect that time of day in forza? If not lets take the wait and see approach how about having this argument in October.

Raymo

Weather, day night cycles, you can set the time at any time of the day and the atmosphere will be replicated to reflect that time frame. This is what I learned from the dev talk on playstation ustream and he says the graphics will get better.

Can Forza do dynamic weather? can forza do day night cycles? Can you set the time of the race and have it accurately reflect that time of day in forza? If not lets take the wait and see approach how about having this argument in October.

Yeah, if Forza doesn't have the dynamic day/night cycle or dynamic weather of drive club, then it really isn't as impressive as it looks. All the lighting in the environment could just be pre-baked. Just a cheap trick, possibly.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, if Forza doesn't have the dynamic day/night cycle or dynamic weather of drive club, then it really isn't as impressive as it looks. All the lighting in the environment could just be pre-baked. Just a cheap trick, possibly.
Haha, rationalizations incoming!

Graphics are all about tricks. What matters is how it actually looks. Forza may lack dynamic day and night and weather, but man, you really dont want to play the 'who has the most features' game with a Forza Motorsport title. Its usually not a winning battle unless your name is Gran Turismo.

But I see this is devolving into a Sony vs Microsoft thing now. I'll bow out. I've got little interest in this fanboy bullshit.

Haha, rationalizations incoming!

Graphics are all about tricks. What matters is how it actually looks. Forza may lack dynamic day and night and weather, but man, you really dont want to play the 'who has the most features' game with a Forza Motorsport title. Its usually not a winning battle unless your name is Gran Turismo.

But I see this is devolving into a Sony vs Microsoft thing now. I'll bow out. I've got little interest in this fanboy bullshit.

No one is talking about features and if its graphics tricks why doesn't Forza have it, they are very accomplished studio and have been pumping out this title for a decade. I'm sure if Drive Club could only be driven during the day it would look miles better than it does now.

Paradicia

That's great and everything but is DriveClub a consistent 60fps in comparison to Forza? That right there is a real night and day difference.

I don't think we have had an accurate account as to how old this build at E3 is. Also Evolution is a talented bunch made only moreso with the addition of Liverpool and Lucid members.

Not worried, not going to judge.

That's great and everything but is DriveClub a consistent 60fps in comparison to Forza? That right there is a real night and day difference.

My last statement on this. If all you had to do with your graphics is focus on daylight and nothing else, I'm sure Drive Club could achieve 60fps. I'm sure Forza could do all the things drive club could do as well, but decisions are made based on time, being they are launch titles and working on new architecture.

Top Bottom