• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal :"PS4 Demand Exceeding Sony's Expectations

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
iqu4S0jiiJ4YI.gif

This is me since I already have a a launch edition from good ol Amazon waiting for me. Ahh the relief.

I'd bet my hat that if Sony were to launch at the end of October before the official release dates of Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty: Ghosts, while Microsoft released after those games...

Microsoft would rain veritable shitloads of money on EA, Ubisoft and Activision to delay the launch of the PS4 versions of those games.

I saw this yesterday and intended to make a thread for it, if I weren't a junior :p

Another anecdote, I was talking to some friends today (some have a preference for Xbox and one for Nintendo) and they actually intended buying a PS3 and PS4 after looking at the price and the no DRM stance. So I'm another one who's seeing people jumping ship IRL.

Exact same here and I was pleasantly surprised. Talking to 5 other people at work only one didn't know about the DRM on the Xbox. He was quickly informed of course and all of them said they're getting a PS4 and not an Xbox next gen. 3 of them only own an Xbox this gen. Itshappening.gif

Boke1879

Does this really make a difference in terms of success if all launch day quantities are already pre-sold out?

Even if preorders are sold out if Sony can launch a few weeks before MS you get the word of mouth and free PR. News stations will be covering the launch of the PS4 and be reporting stories how it's sold out everywhere. That gets people interested.

People with the console start showing and telling their friends about it and showing them gameplay. If people see other people with the PS4 and they see their friends with it they are more inclined to get it themselves.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just watched that Geoff interview with Jack...im a little confused. He says 3rd party pubs the drm is up to them....but how can they make the claim disc-based games wont require online? They didnt say Sony-only disc-based games....so im confused.

Sylent01

Bold added for emphasis. I have some (flimsy, small sample size) anecdotal evidence to support this observation.

A few hours ago I went to my local GameStop to pre-order the PS4. I discussed the E3 conferences with the clerk. The clerk observed that interest in the PS4 was much stronger than in the Xbox One, and that he, too, would be getting PS4 at launch.

About halfway through the preorder process, the clerk received a call from another customer asking about preorder availability for the console. The clerk tells the customer that there are no preorders left for the XBox One, but that GameStop is still taking preorders for PS4 - after this he hangs up. I found this somewhat curious - (my local) GameStop is anticipating much higher demand for PS4, but isn't even taking XBox One orders? When I asked the clerk about that apparent conflict, this was the response I got (accompanied with what I can only characterize as a knowing smile):

"I could get fired for telling you this... when I said we're out of XBox One orders, it's not what it looked like."

I had a similar experience today as I pre-ordered as well. My GameStop manager (who is a GAFfer) and I had that same coversation. He told me outright that GameStop is aware of the manufacturing shortages associated with the X1 and has far fewer reserve "slots" for the Xbone than for the PS4. He was smirking as he said this as if he was saying something he should'nt.

kurbaan

Banned
Just watched that Geoff interview with Jack...im a little confused. He says 3rd party pubs the drm is up to them....but how can they make the claim disc-based games wont require online? They didnt say Sony-only disc-based games....so im confused.

Its the same story as PS3 right now. I 3rd party guy can add online passes or whatever. Or make their game require you to sign up for uplay or whatever crap

dcx4610

Assassin's Creed 4 comes out October 29th. It makes me wonder if we'll actually have Xbone and PS4 games for sale before the systems even come out or if they will simply delay them until launch day of each.

I just feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Sony of 2013 seems so far removed from the Sony of circa 2005.

The PS4 is:
  • Significantly more powerful
  • Cheaper by $100 at $399
  • Easier to develop for
  • Doesn't restrict resale, lending, gifting
  • Isn't region locked
  • Launches at the same time as the main competition
  • Smaller and sleeker (ymmv) in design with an internal PSU
The only bad news part of what's been announced is the change to online. Even then PS+ is much better value than the competition (imo) and media services and F2P (depending upon publisher) will be free to access.

I mean I really can't see a competitive advantage anywhere for the XB1 unless:
  • You really like Kinect and are too lazy to push an input button
  • You absolutely need to play Microsoft Game Studios published games
  • You want to play Titan Fall, but don't have a PC that can handle it
But I just hope it doesn't get to their heads as hubris can still bring downfall.

does seem like a unbelievable amount of just pure good news

like a dream almost.....

Tobor

Tretton already responded to clear it up. PS4 works the same as PS3.

Its the same story as PS3 right now. I 3rd party guy can add online passes or whatever. Or make their game require you to sign up for uplay or whatever crap

Actually Sony prohibited online passes because they don't want people to pay twice(PS+ to play online in the first place and then again for an online pass).
So no online passes on Ps4.
But there are other things publishers can do, like on Ps3 and Xbox360.
But after all the buzz I guess no publisher dares to do anything. It would cause huge image damages.
Microsoft basically gets captivated right now, no publishers wants to join them.

J_Lee

Banned
Has anyone noticed that the Xbox One is no longer sold out on Amazon I wonder if people canceled preorders and jumped ship to PS4

I'm going back and forth on buying it but the thing that gets me is the lack of BC. It's not that I'm gonna toss out my PS3 or anything but I'd like to be able to put PStriple games into the PS4 just so I can use it for something. I'm gonna get what, maybe one game if I'm lucky? Meanwhile I'll have a mountain of PS3 games by the time the quadruple comes out from Plus.

feelsbadman

calder

Got a little bit nervous as the online preorders are mostly gone here in canada so I reserved one from (ugh) Futureshop.

I'll almost certainly switch to an in-store preorder once I can find a retailer offering it. Another midnight launch? When will I learn...

Iorv3th

I'm going back and forth on buying it but the thing that gets me is the lack of BC. It's not that I'm gonna toss out my PS3 or anything but I'd like to be able to put PStriple games into the PS4 just so I can use it for something. I'm gonna get what, maybe one game if I'm lucky? Meanwhile I'll have a mountain of PS3 games by the time the quadruple comes out from Plus.

feelsbadman

Yeah but if they get gaikai working like they say they want too you can possibly have access to all of your plus content through that?

MercuryLS

Banned
Got a pre-order at Amazon and Futureshop, trading in all my xbox shit for a pre-order at EB Games. No fucking way I'm not getting one at launch.

SRTtoZ

Bold added for emphasis. I have some (flimsy, small sample size) anecdotal evidence to support this observation.

A few hours ago I went to my local GameStop to pre-order the PS4. I discussed the E3 conferences with the clerk. The clerk observed that interest in the PS4 was much stronger than in the Xbox One, and that he, too, would be getting PS4 at launch.

About halfway through the preorder process, the clerk received a call from another customer asking about preorder availability for the console. The clerk tells the customer that there are no preorders left for the XBox One, but that GameStop is still taking preorders for PS4 - after this he hangs up. I found this somewhat curious - (my local) GameStop is anticipating much higher demand for PS4, but isn't even taking XBox One orders? When I asked the clerk about that apparent conflict, this was the response I got (accompanied with what I can only characterize as a knowing smile):

"I could get fired for telling you this... when I said we're out of XBox One orders, it's not what it looked like."

I didn't pursue that line of questioning any further, but the more I've thought about this exchange, the more I'm convinced that there are only a couple of reasonable explanations for this.

(1) My local GameStop is getting more PS4 preorders than XBox One preorders, but the ratio of PS4 units to XBox One units requested by the store is even more lopsided, so the Xbox One has sold out first. This doesn't require any assumptions about the motivations of any party, but does nothing to explain the answer I got from the clerk.

(2) GameStop is aggressively trying to push pre-orderers to choose PS4, and is instructing its staff not to indicate that the XBox One is available for pre-order unless the customer speciflcally asks for it.

(3) The clerk is a fanboy and is trying to steer customers towards the PS4 on his own - based on my previous conversations with the clerk, I don't think this is particularly likely.

Again, this is one person's observations based on interaction with one employee of one GameStop location. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on this, but if GameStop is, in fact, going to try and steer as many undecided customers as possible toward PS4 (and away from XBox One), the above would fit.

Its funny you say that because earlier in this thread I stated that the Gamestop clerk asked me if I was there to preorder PS4 out of nowhere. Of course I was there to do that but its funny how he just guessed that and didnt ask me about the XB1.

Yeah but if they get gaikai working like they say they want too you can possibly have access to all of your plus content through that?

By then, I don't think I'll care. I'm talking about the day one experience. I don't want to get a PS4, play such and such for a while and remember I was in the middle of something else or, there's that one game I didn't start yet and go back to the PS3. It just seems wrong.

Log4Girlz

Dang, they must have got some headrush type shit after that announcement. Must be some crazy strong indicators already that it's going to have a bomb holiday. Definitely think this one might actually sell out lol

Well at least it'll sell better than Surface.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Assassin's Creed 4 comes out October 29th. It makes me wonder if we'll actually have Xbone and PS4 games for sale before the systems even come out or if they will simply delay them until launch day of each.

Not that rare. I bought NSMBU a week before the Wii U came out.

Eh, should have pre-ordered. I'm assuming it's impossible to get a pre-order now? Oh, well. It's been more than a decade since I camped at a Walmart for hours for a PS2. It was a cool, but a stressful fucking experience. I might be up for it again.

Oh God, what if this is like the PS2 or Wii when you couldn't get a system for months?

Like many have said, all that we need now is an October launch. That would be a Megaton of epic proportions, but I'm super skeptical, especially with DriveClub apparently only being 35% complete.

Like many have said, all that we need now is an October launch. That would be a Megaton of epic proportions, but I'm super skeptical, especially with DriveClub apparently only being 35% complete.

Sonys biggest problem now is to produce enough Ps4s.

The console cycle was very long, people are desperate for a new console.
The WiiU already failed.
XboxOne seems DOA.
Everyone is gravitating towards Playstation.
I really can see the Ps4 beeing hard to get for months.

Whew! I guess they really couldnt have made this any clearer. They win at life.

This is highly possible.

Will make a run to Gamestop tommorow to see if I can get a pre-order. If not, I guess it's camping time. I got a Wii day one because I pre-ordered for shits and giggles after E3 without knowing how crazy it would be to find one. The PS2 launch was fucking crazy. I was in college at the time. I was calling stores within a four-state radius with no luck. I convinced my roomates to go with me after class to line up, but they didn't understand the stakes. Our local Walmart had a lottery because they got like four systems, so I said fuck that. We drove 90 minutes to a Super Walmart and got there somewhat late. They gave us tickets. Everyone was freaking the fuck out because we didn't know how many systems they had. Dat feeling when you got one, oh my God. I might have to do it again, even though I promised myself I wouldn't do it.

Sonys biggest problem now is to produce enough Ps4s.

The console cycle was very long, people are desperate for a new console.
The WiiU already failed.
XboxOne seems DOA.
Everyone is gravitating towards Playstation.
I really can see the Ps4 beeing hard to get for months.

If I can get $1000+ for my PS4 on eBay come launch day, I will have to sell it. I'm not super rich and it's a completely viable decision IMO, and I was a complete idiot to not have sold me PS3 back in the day. I regret so much not selling it, partly because it was so easy to get two weeks later. I don't want to sell it though, because I wanna play it so badly, but it was the same way with the PS3, and then I regretted it later.

RE_Player

Got a little bit nervous as the online preorders are mostly gone here in canada so I reserved one from (ugh) Futureshop.

I'll almost certainly switch to an in-store preorder once I can find a retailer offering it. Another midnight launch? When will I learn...

I too went with FutureShop. While their current E3 game pre-order deal is fantastic I have a feeling they won't get enough consoles.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Pachter estimates that Sony is going to make $50 on each PS4 sold.

If true, that would be a huge boost to their profitability. Not sure how much I believe him, but that would net Sony around $500 million in profit if they sell 10 million in year 1.

It makes me curious if Sony was prepared to reveal the PS4 at $349 in case Microsoft revealed their price at $399.

And then when Microsoft revealed the $499 price tag, that was the best news that could ever happen for them because it allowed them to have a huge competitive advantage AND make a profit on the hardware.

The way things are rolling out, MS will have to do something fast or else they are in real trouble.
Better lower that price and swallow that 100. Either way things are looking dark.
If Microsoft are having manufacturing problems(which is not a good look, coming off the RROD fiasco), lowering the price will have no effect on sales numbers. They're going to sell-out either way. Why throw $100 revenue away? If they do lower the price, it won't be until they actually have more available units than would sell-out at $499.

MercuryLS

Banned

If true, that would be a huge boost to their profitability. Not sure how much I believe him, but that would net Sony around $500 million in profit if they sell 10 million in year 1.

It makes me curious if Sony was prepared to reveal the PS4 at $349 in case Microsoft revealed their price at $399.

And then when Microsoft revealed the $499 price tag, that was the best news that could ever happen for them because it allowed them to have a huge competitive advantage AND make a profit on the hardware.

Honestly, I think Pachters BOM is off...I bet at $400 they're close to break even.

Boke1879

If they are making that much of a profit then good on them. Add in the the PS+ sub and that's already 100 bucks of just upfront money.

I'll more than likely buy the cam as well for streaming and video calling purposes. I'm sure that camera didn't take them any money to make.

I remember reading an interview today where Scott Rodhe, said he and everyone at Sony had the biggest grins on their faces as soon as Microsoft announced the $500 tag. He alluded to the fact they that's what they were expecting.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Honestly, I think Pachters BOM is off...I bet at $400 they're close to break even.

I'm not so sure.

Just looking at the size of the PS4 -- it's about as big as the PS3 Slim, which was $299 (I realize this isn't an exact science, but in general the larger the box the more expensive it is due to cooling, power, etc)

They've done a lot of things right in the design which should mean that it's considerably cheaper -- CPU+GPU on the same die is a huge benefit in terms of cost reductions. PS3 still hasn't gotten there yet.

The only other expensive component is probably the bulk GDDR5, but I'm sure they cut some insane deals with vendors given the quantities they will be buying in the coming years.

Damn, starting to get worried that i'm not going to be able to get one.

I'm Brazilian, but i'll be in California from 10-30 of December and my plan was to get one for me... but since i can't pre order i have a feeling this is going to be very hard...

Damn, i don't want to pay stupid Brazilian prices, so hopefully i can find one in December.

Hoping for an October release to soften the pressure of getting one in December.

Top Bottom