• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Square Enix Party 2007 Thread

Narag

Deku said:
I also wonder if that comet so prominent is what causes
Tavnazia to be separated from the rest of the continent. The explosion is AFAIK told in the narrative as 'unknown' Orcish superweapon.

If you like the soundtrack to the video, the name is Memoro de la S^tono which is one of Uematsu's best latter day compositions if I may say so. The last bit is probably original music for the expansion.

If they do this right it might be an amazing experience. I hope the time traveling is easy to do and rewarding.

I think this was explained in the San d'Oria missions unless I can't remember straight. Its been a couple years.

The ruin of Tavnazia was brought forth by using the Lightbringer to destroy the invading orcish army but its power was such that it destroyed much much more.

tnw said:
I just saw the FF7 game for the cell phones. :( I got kind of wandered into the unnecessarily large cell phone game section and couldn't really get out.

The itadaki street with mario and friends looked pretty cool. They had this little video where retro SMB mario drops down into 1-2, and hits a question block. A DQ1 slime pops out, lands, and then both of them are like '?'. It was pretty funny.

....sorry my anecdotes are so lame. There was a lot to see, and I didn't want to spend all my time waiting in line.

Nah it's cool we appreciate it.

Just wish we could get a bit more info on Crystal Bearers. Did you manage to get any impressiosn at all from it, gameplay or visual wise?

Deku

Banned
NeoForte said:
A past Dynamis would be most logical. To see the past in that dream world and find the hidden story that wasn't told. Would be cool if ancient currency and relics were made easier to get cause of it.

Dynamis is I beleive a dream world Diabolos created so I'm not sure if it's possible to have a past dynamis. But the ability to obtain ancient currency as rewards to BC , mission fights would be awesome but they will probably have to drop the price of dynamis significantly as well since it simply won't make sense to spend 1 million gil on currency that is suddenly greatly devalued.

If they create a parallel currency system in the expansion such as they've done with the Imperial currency, but with what we now know as ancient currency I'll be happy.

tnw

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Nah it's cool we appreciate it.

Just wish we could get a bit more info on Crystal Bearers. Did you manage to get any impressiosn at all from it, gameplay or visual wise?

I did see the crystal bearers. Mmmm... Anime-ish? I don't really have any really grounded comments on it.

The thing that impressed me most of what I saw and actually spend more than a couple of minutes at was the DQ Swords for Wii. I was not really expecting to be impressed by it at all. The mechanics of actually slashing and defending against your enemies, and even better cool DQ enemies like slimes, slime riders, golems, etc. looked relaly fun. This guy was playing and would slash a whole line of slimes, and they'd all fall over. A big group of drakees flew in, he x slashed and a bunch of them fell down, a couple attacked which he defended with the shield function. seemed really fun.

Shouta

Man, they should just convert FFXI into a single player experience and resell it. The storyline is like leaps and bounds better than all the other FF games. =|

Deku

Banned
Shouta said:
Man, they should just convert FFXI into a single player experience and resell it. The storyline is like leaps and bounds better than all the other FF games. =|

Dont give SE dieas. FFXI-II DS Altana's Wings

Narag

Shouta said:

I've always hoped they would release something single player in Vana'diel during the crazy FF spinoff years of recent. =\

tnw said:
I did see the crystal bearers. Mmmm... Anime-ish? I don't really have any really grounded comments on it.

The thing that impressed me most of what I saw and actually spend more than a couple of minutes at was the DQ Swords for Wii. I was not really expecting to be impressed by it at all. The mechanics of actually slashing and defending against your enemies, and even better cool DQ enemies like slimes, slime riders, golems, etc. looked relaly fun. This guy was playing and would slash a whole line of slimes, and they'd all fall over. A big group of drakees flew in, he x slashed and a bunch of them fell down, a couple attacked which he defended with the shield function. seemed really fun.

Nice.

Anime-ish, as in the visuals or the overall feel? Do they look chibi?

Ravidrath

Deku said:
That would require an extensive rewrite of the existing storyline if they were to allow that. Tavnazia would have to fall or the whole game wouldn't work. I wonder though what they can do here, in terms of doing stuff in the past to change the future.

I hope its more immediate rather than all of the stuff being instanced/Burning circle events portrayed through cutscenes. But I fear that's the route they'll go. They double the size of the playable world but all the fun time travel stuff are in the story.

My wishlist would certainly be easy time traveling and some rewarding events from it.

I think they're just going to have a massive cop-out, like a splintering timeline or parallel dimension or something like that, massive phase distortions and tachyons, etc. so they don't have to worry too much about timeline integrity and just to make whatever it is the most fun it can be. I won't be happy unless I can become my own grandfather, basically.

I also doubt they're going to fully double the game world. I suppose they could do that and just copy a number of areas and leave them relatively unchanged, but I suspect it'll be a subset of the existing areas.

NeoForte

Deku said:
Dynamis is I beleive a dream world Diabolos created so I'm not sure if it's possible to have a past dynamis. But the ability to obtain ancient currency as rewards to BC , mission fights would be awesome but they will probably have to drop the price of dynamis significantly as well since it simply won't make sense to spend 1 million gil on currency that is suddenly greatly devalued.

If they create a parallel currency system in the expansion such as they've done with the Imperial currency, but with what we now know as ancient currency I'll be happy.

Yea your right, Dynamis was Diabolos' dream world to escape the destruction of Vana'diel. I dunno exactly how it became over run by beastmen (I've only done like 2 of them). Its really an enigma how they can pull this off.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I walked around a lot and was bored off my ass, I got into the DQ swords line (it was a new level) but got out cause it was almost 3 hours long.

This sums up my Square enix party experience pretty well.

Jesus I look stupid in this picture, I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.

P.S. FFCC Wii didn't look like it had any MP aspects at all, looked to be running on some version of the KH engine and was action heavy.

So SE being douche bags with non-closed theater stuff too? And Parasite Eve 3 for mobiles? Score, SE, score.

I want my media and I want it for yesterday :(

tnw

Banned
chibcicylist said:
Nice.

Anime-ish, as in the visuals or the overall feel? Do they look chibi?

They seemed disappointing to me I guess. Chibi, anime, whatever. Just not really the aesthetic I'm looking for, so I guess that's why I didn't double back and check on it.

The music coming from the FFT booth was like a siren call, I immediately walked over and swooned for a couple minutes. It looks like the gameplay has some slowdown with co-op. There was a lot of load 'connecting, please wait' messages on the screens of people playing.

Edit: oh good, spOrsks is here. I'm sure he can answer a lot more of your questions.

Deku

Banned
Ravidrath said:
I also doubt they're going to fully double the game world. I suppose they could do that and just copy a number of areas and leave them relatively unchanged, but I suspect it'll be a subset of the existing areas.

I meant Double the main continent. I suppose they could split it up so you could only access immediate zones outside each of the cities and a few other places but not travel from Jeuno to all 3 cities and related areas like we can now.

Fischbrot

sp0rsk said:
I walked around a lot and was bored off my ass, I got into the DQ swords line (it was a new level) but got out cause it was almost 3 hours long.

Jesus I look stupid in this picture, I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.

Wow, nice picture. :)

sp0rsk said:

P.S. FFCC Wii didn't look like it had any MP aspects at all, looked to be running on some version of the KH engine and was action heavy.

Quoted just in case he chickens out.

Can you describe FF:CB Wii in detail?

Deku

Banned
sp0rsk said:

:lol nice sp0rks.

Ravidrath

NeoForte said:
Yea your right, Dynamis was Diabolos' dream world to escape the destruction of Vana'diel. I dunno exactly how it became over run by beastmen (I've only done like 2 of them). Its really an enigma how they can pull this off.

Diabolos created Dynamis as a dream world version of Vana'diel for after the world is destroyed. Basically, when the world was to be destroyed he'd ferry all of the souls of the living to Dynamis so they could continue to exist there, rather than be snuffed out.

When we defeat the Shadow Lord, his psyche seperates from his body and takes root in Dynamis, bending the entire realm to his will. All the beastmen armies are in there because the Dynamis Lord decided that they should be there - he just thought them into existence.

jiggle

Ravidrath said:
Oh, and as much as I don't like the idea, I suppose this could be the impetus for Time Mage... Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely level it, but it's hard to imagine what it could do. Then again, after seeing how creative they got with the three new jobs, maybe this would be good.

Slowga
Slow IV
Stop (stun)
Hastega
Haste II

Should be a given

maybe some kind of
Dispel (shifts time to before the buff was cast)
Regen/Refresh (slowly moves HP and MP backward...)
???

Although...looking at that, the job would be kinda redundant, since RDM can do most/all of those already...

antiloop

With no new FFXIII or Versus footage/info for us to see I will just pretend that this event didn't even exist.

Would be nice if Sony could steal the trailers and show them at gamer's day though.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
Diabolos created Dynamis as a dream world version of Vana'diel for after the world is destroyed. Basically, when the world was to be destroyed he'd ferry all of the souls of the living to Dynamis so they could continue to exist there, rather than be snuffed out.

When we defeat the Shadow Lord, his psyche seperates from his body and takes root in Dynamis, bending the entire realm to his will. All the beastmen armies are in there because the Dynamis Lord decided that they should be there - he just thought them into existence.

Ah I see. One of these days I swear I'm gonna read that history of vana'diel site. Thanks a lot for that explanation Ravidrath. So form the sounds of it a past Dynamis couldn't work cause Diabolos cannot recreate other beings in his dream unless they enter it.

antiloop said:
With no new FFXIII or Versus footage/info for us to see I will just pretend that this event didn't even exist.

Would be nice if Sony could steal the trailers and show them at gamer's day though.

pretty much

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
Although...looking at that, the job would be kinda redundant, since RDM can do most/all of those already...

Right, that's why I'm confused as to how useful it could be - it'd all be variants of existing stuff. Some of them would certainly be worthwhile collated into a single job, but it wouldn't be exciting new content, as far as I'm concerned.

Could be fun to see them get a main healing spell that's, like, "Rewind" - undoes the last three status changes on a living target...

Haha, that'd be hiliariously broken. Get hit three times for 300 damage each time on some NM, cast it, and you get those 900 HP back. :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
sp0rsk said:

Nice hat, :p

So, FFCC = Action adventure that looks a little bit like KH?, interesting, I'm hoping square have a megaton for the end of the party, but I'm not expecting one, and seriously not one for MKH Anihawk :p

sprsk

chibcicylist said:
Quoted just in case he chickens out.

Can you describe FF:CB Wii in detail?

Mmmmm, The main character was wearing aviator goggles and it had some planes in it, it didn't have any of the country bumpkin feeling the original did. To be honest it looked like "Yet another game that could be turned into a shonen anime"

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
Mmmmm, The main character was wearing aviator goggles and it had some planes in it, it didn't have any of the country bumpkin feeling the original did. To be honest it looked like "Yet another game that could be turned into a shonen anime"

I WAS LOST WITHOUT YOU

edit: they're making Grandia III again?

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
Right, that's why I'm confused as to how useful it could be - it'd all be variants of existing stuff.

Could be fun to see them get a main healing spell that's, like, "Rewind" - undoes the last three status changes on a living target...

Haha, that'd be hiliariously broken. Get hit three times for 300 damage each time on some NM, cast it, and you get those 900 HP back. :)

naw Time Mage would be too redundant and not enough originality (unless they start making up new abilities and spells for them. I think Geomancer has a stronger chance. Vana'Diel has a ton of different terrain. Just make it so like Geomancy/Terrain Mastery II be at Lv15 and gives you a chance to use a new Terrain skill when the ability is used and III at a higher level with more spells unlocked and so on (Kinda like in FFV where the higher your level the more spells you see from Terrain). Make so that some of the spells have a chance for some status effects and give us a specific cure ability (separate from Terrain) from the land and there, a new healer and support.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Some very very quick impressions, since I've been awake some thirty hours and must sleep the sweet, sweet sleep.

XIII trailer was essentially the same as the Jump Festa version. No significant new footage whatsoever. Maybe a couple seconds here and there.

Versus XIII trailer had a few new seconds at the end of the hero confronting a new character in a hood, resembling
Rufus
from Advent Children not a little.

Agito XIII trailer, surprisingly, had a good deal of realtime gameplay footage...and sweet Jesus there are no cellphones on Earth that can pull this stuff off yet. Graphically, it looked like a very good PSP game.

The FFXI expansion footage got me excited. It's called Holy Soldiers of Altana (literal translation) in Japan. Total time-travel action, non-ruined Davoi and La Theine and Meriphataud etc. etc.

In the Closed Mega Theater, they started running a trailer for what was obviously Parasite Eve, with Shimomura's main theme playing and a voiceover by Aya. I was totally freaking out. Then: "The 3rd Birthday. For Cellphones." Squeni, I hate you.

There was also a bit of the hidden ending to KHIIFM+ shown in the closed theater, with text afterwards: "Kingdom Hearts New Project To Be Announced At Tokyo Game Show 2007".

So yeah, those are my disjointed impressions of what went down at the show. This was probably all posted pages ago but I'm too tired to check :)

So, i just got here:

- The most successfol console at the moment gets a...Chocobo-game
- Compared to NDS, a dead handheld gets, probably, KH, thus strengthening the possibility of a PS3-KH
- One long awaited franchise sequel, Parasite Eve 3, was announced for mobile phones.

Ok.
Really, what´s wrong with the lack of the FFCC:CB-trailer?
It´s like the only intersting thing at this party -.-

MasterMFauli said:
So, i just got here:

- Compared to NDS, a dead handheld gets, probably, KH, thus strengthening the possibility of a PS3-KH
- One long awaited franchise sequel, Parasite Eve 3, was announced for mobile phones.

Ok.
Really, what´s wrong with the lack of the FFCC:CB-trailer?
It´s like the only intersting thing at this party -.-

Sporsk wasn't impressed :(

AniHawk

MasterMFauli said:
So, i just got here:

STOP IT.

The Wii WILL be getting more games. The PSP has 2-3 spinoffs and the rest are updates. Compare that to the DS for a sec. Many more spinoffs, few ports, big remakes, and even an original game. If you REALLY want Mickey Mouse's origin story that badly, then buy a PSP.

Aokage said:
Some very very quick impressions, since I've been awake some thirty hours and must sleep the sweet, sweet sleep.

XIII trailer was essentially the same as the Jump Festa version. No significant new footage whatsoever. Maybe a couple seconds here and there.

Versus XIII trailer had a few new seconds at the end of the hero confronting a new character in a hood, resembling
Rufus
from Advent Children not a little.

Agito XIII trailer, surprisingly, had a good deal of realtime gameplay footage...and sweet Jesus there are no cellphones on Earth that can pull this stuff off yet. Graphically, it looked like a very good PSP game.

The FFXI expansion footage got me excited. It's called Holy Soldiers of Altana (literal translation) in Japan. Total time-travel action, non-ruined Davoi and La Theine and Meriphataud etc. etc.

In the Closed Mega Theater, they started running a trailer for what was obviously Parasite Eve, with Shimomura's main theme playing and a voiceover by Aya. I was totally freaking out. Then: "The 3rd Birthday. For Cellphones." Squeni, I hate you.

There was also a bit of the hidden ending to KHIIFM+ shown in the closed theater, with text afterwards: "Kingdom Hearts New Project To Be Announced At Tokyo Game Show 2007".

So yeah, those are my disjointed impressions of what went down at the show. This was probably all posted pages ago but I'm too tired to check :)

Ok. Thanks. So, in the complexe, for now I'm disappointed about the lack of trailers and footages.

sprsk

It was really sad, FFCC for wii was shoved like in the corner, BEHIND the DS FFCC. If you weren't looking (all over) for it, you would probably not even know the damn game existed.

rakka

sp0rsk said:
It was really sad, FFCC for wii was shoved like in the corner, BEHIND the DS FFCC. If you weren't looking (all over) for it, you would probably not even know the damn game existed.

Were the visuals last-gen? (like most wii games)

sprsk

rakka said:
Were the visuals last-gen? (like most wii games)

Yes. They were on the better spectrum of last gen graphics though. Not quite Mario Galaxy though. Like I said, the graphics and texturing looked a lot like Kingdom Hearts 2.

xaosslug

Deku said:
Was a platform announced for the new KH game? I don't belie it was announced.

nope. Only news was some sort of confirmation/speculation (I think) that KH, in some form or another, would be revealed @ TGS.

Elios83

Never get hyped for a Square Enix event, after all their events gone in this way over the years I just don't exepect anything from them until they show it :D
Oh and these closed theatres suck more than NDAs!

NeoForte

Deku said:

No. Duckroll I believe said the translation for the next KH project announcement was that it would be revealed at TGS (I think).

And if FF: CC Wii looks like KHII I will be happy. If its more exciting to play that would be even more awesome (not to say I hated the first game, its one of my favorite GC games).

Ravidrath

Deku said:

I've heard rumors that it's a KH prequel, and it's for PSP. But those rumors also said that it would be unveiled here, so who knows anymore.

Top Bottom