• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Eteric Rice said:
Holy shit, that's almost as awesome as the Reggie shirt. :lol

reggieT.jpg

Apparently, Reggie himself has been seen wearing this shirt!

After 6 months of looking, i found a new Wii today. I've seen them before, but they're always been 'used' and 10% more expensive, but not this time! Bic Camera just happened to have a huge delivery when I was buying a toaster and I had to pick one up! ...and Excite Truck of course! ...now if only all the games had an English option :(

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
marvelharvey said:
After 6 months of looking, i found a new Wii today. I've seen them before, but they're always been 'used' and 10% more expensive, but not this time! Bic Camera just happened to have a huge delivery when I was buying a toaster and I had to pick one up! ...and Excite Truck of course! ...now if only all the games had an English option :(

congratulations member gold ticket. welcome to the club.

Haunted

marvelharvey said:
you got a new toaster? sweet.

Grats on joining the club, enjoy your stay.

I got this from one of the Gamespot poster stealing bandwidth from Wikipedia and the colors looked familiar.

Dempsey_Roll-Ippo_vs_Sendo.gif

Pretty muhc sums up the state of the Japanese home console landscape.

stewacide

RE4 was possibly my favourite game last-generation (certainly the one I played end-to-end the most times): if any Wii owning friend asks me advice on a game it'll be the first I mention. Was criminally over-looked on the GC and even PS2.

marvelharvey said:

Funnily enough I also finally found a DS Lite at Bic Camera today after searching in vain for the past month. Sunday seems an odd day to be able to find one (I looked purely on the off-chance), but maybe I just got lucky. No Wiis where I went though (yurakucho).

D.Lo

cvxfreak said:
I'm glad the PS2 version [of RE4] sold 500K though. If the Wii version sells 280K then the three will collectively be above 1 Million. I find it a longshot though.
I'm not, it was absolutely awful compared to the GCN version.

And to be honest, since Mikami isn't ding the Wii version I think the GCN version will remain the definitive edition, as it is the true director's cut. Although at least the Wii version will have the original graphics, with more then two friggin trees in each section of forest and an actual lighting engine.

ssoass

D.Lo said:
I'm not, it was absolutely awful compared to the GCN version.

And to be honest, since Mikami isn't ding the Wii version I think the GCN version will remain the definitive edition, as it is the true director's cut. Although at least the Wii version will have the original graphics, with more then two friggin trees in each section of forest and an actual lighting engine.

No it wasn't, it was a great port, it's the exact same game with a lot of extras and the graphics are almost the same.
The only thing that's lacking in the PS2 version is lighting.
But I don't see how it could in any way be seen as awful or even bad.

Eteric Rice

ssoass said:
No it wasn't, it was a great port, it's the exact same game with a lot of extras and the graphics are almost the same.

And the textures... And the trees...

Honestly I don't care about graphics, but just wanted to point that out. :p

D.Lo

ssoass said:
Sorry for bringing up this old argument, but this opinion was wrong then and is still wrong now.

aaaoutside.jpg

D.Lo

Eteric Rice said:
The Wii version potentially "could" look better.

No idea if it will, though.
It would be nice if they fixed up the textures in the first castle bit (where the walls get blown up). That was the only part of the GCN version where I want "eeew - blurry textures".

Doubt they will of course. The only 'easy' thing they could tinker with would be the lighting, and the lighting was nigh-on perfect (on GCN obviously).

Eteric Rice

D.Lo said:
It would be nice if they fixed up the textures in the first castle bit (where the walls get blown up). That was the only part of the GCN version where I want "eeew - blurry textures".

Doubt they will of course. The only 'easy' thing they could tinker with would be the lighting, and the lighting was nigh-on perfect (on GCN obviously).

Eh, they could. Can't be that difficult to update a few textures here and there.

D.Lo

Eteric Rice said:
Eh, they could. Can't be that difficult to update a few textures here and there.
Yeah, but it's one of those 'where do you stop' kinda things. If they edited the engine enough to bump up the textures in that section, then why not tidy up Il Gigante? Tweak Luis's face? Add polygons to the cows?

Of course I'd love if they did this extra polishing, I'd much prefer that to the non-Mikami sanctioned extras - which I've already played (after chugging through the dog of a PS2 version), and they were pretty limp, especially compared to the mother of the extras which was already there, Mercenaries.

But it's coming in like a month, we're lucky we're even getting the GCN graphics!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
My Chemical Mouse said:
The guy can say whatever he likes, it's not like we can't see through his ploy by simply lookinga t his past posts. He is a Ntard through and through.

Yo troll, knock it off. Don't know how I hurt your feelings...but if it was my charts or included comments, you should attack the data...not myself. If the you'd like to challenge ANYTHING I have posted, I'll take the pepsi challenge to that shit any day.

But if you insist on resorting to ad hominem attacks on my creditablity, as if somehow this imagined preference has any bearing on the data, then you're no better than what the childish names you're throwing out there. Ntard? Seriously? What effing year is this?

If you want to talk sales that would be awesome! So far I haven't seen you actually contribute anything other than accusations of preference. Just imagine, all this wasted effort trying to call me out on bias, when you could be thinking of clever retorts to the data! I'd love to hear your opinion on what the data means to you. Are my charts incorrect? Do they show bias? Did I pick the wrong color for your company of choice? Was I too specific on the failure of Sony to move more than 13k units on the biggest sales week of the year? Would you prefer a more favorable comparison?

You wanna talk sales, cool. You wanna talk about me? Not cool. I'm assuming you can't/won't/don't know how to actually talk about sales, but it's only because I haven't seen you actually try yet. Last time I'm responding to a personal attack from you.
~PL~

cvxfreak

I don't think anyone would argue that RE4 PS2 looked worse. But, the PS2 was underpowered compared to the GC, so what can you expect?

PantherLotus said:
Yo troll, knock it off. Don't know how I hurt your feelings...but if it was my charts or included comments, you should attack the data...not myself. If the you'd like to challenge ANYTHING I have posted, I'll take the pepsi challenge to that shit any day.

But if you insist on resorting to ad hominem attacks on my creditablity, as if somehow this imagined preference has any bearing on the data, then you're no better than what the childish names you're throwing out there. Ntard? Seriously? What effing year is this?

If you want to talk sales that would be awesome! So far I haven't seen you actually contribute anything other than accusations of preference. Just imagine, all this wasted effort trying to call me out on bias, when you could be thinking of clever retorts to the data! I'd love to hear your opinion on what the data means to you. Are my charts incorrect? Do they show bias? Did I pick the wrong color for your company of choice? Was I too specific on the failure of Sony to move more than 13k units on the biggest sales week of the year? Would you prefer a more favorable comparison?

You wanna talk sales, cool. You wanna talk about me? Not cool. I'm assuming you can't/won't/don't know how to actually talk about sales, but it's only because I haven't seen you actually try yet. Last time I'm responding to a personal attack from you.
~PL~

Slam dunk

Mar

ShockingAlberto said:

Cheesemeister said:

bmf said:

:lol best shit ever.

However, having laughed at those graphs. I have to say that (
I can't believe I'm going to say this
) I agree with MCM. Panther's comments in his graph and analysis posts certainly make him seem like a manic ninfan. I enjoy seeing Sony cop one in the balls as much as the next guy. But reading some of the sentences that are supposed to come off as 'facts', just make me wince.

Odysseus

Banned
i say if the chemical mouse dude is worried about perceived bias in pantherlotus' analysis, he is more than welcome to provide his own.

it better something more than "lolz guys wait for mgs4"

Deku

Banned
Odysseus said:
it better something more than "lolz guys wait for mgs4"

If it's not that what else is he going to say. there's not even a bronze lining in some of the numbers we're seeing.

apujanata

Deku said:
If it's not that what else is he going to say. there's not even a [bold]bronze[/bold] lining in some of the numbers we're seeing.

Somehow, I don't know why, I was reminded of the Pokemon Games (Diamond, Pearl, Ruby, Saphire, Gold, Silver) when I see the bolded part.

Tf53

Slurpy said:
Ill also cross-port my pretty chart from the other thread:

66v6quf.png

Is that the real deal? I honestly said WOW. Numbers don't make it seem as bad, and neither do pie charts, but that really says it all.

fallout

Tf53 said:
Is that the real deal? I honestly said WOW. Numbers don't make it seem as bad, and neither do pie charts, but that really says it all.
:lol You can use numbers to prove anything! And yeah, that's what 8:1 looks like.

Thraktor

Kafel said:
Question for the sales expert :

If any, what Wii title will first outsell Wii Sports LTD ? ( in Japan )

None. Quote me on that, Wii Sports will end up the best selling game of the generation in Japan, even one of the best selling of all time. It's like Wii's Brain Training, Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros. all rolled into one.

Observe:
wiisportssales06_05.png

It's currently at a 65.1% LTD attach rate to the hardware and sold at a rate of 83.7% to Wii hardware sales on Golden Week. It hasn't been affected at all by other software sales, in fact its attach rate went up the week Super Paper Mario was released. My guess is that, despite a slight decline in sales due to Mario Galaxy, SSBB, etc., people will continue to buy it alongside more traditional software (as is currently the case with SPM). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it over 3 million by the end of the year (if Wii shipments do finally increase).

Thraktor said:
None. Quote me on that, Wii Sports will end up the best selling game of the generation in Japan, even one of the best selling of all time. It's like Wii's Brain Training, Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bros. all rolled into one.

Observe:
wiisportssales06_05.png

It's currently at a 65.1% LTD attach rate to the hardware and sold at a rate of 83.7% to Wii hardware sales on Golden Week. It hasn't been affected at all by other software sales, in fact its attach rate went up the week Super Paper Mario was released. My guess is that, despite a slight decline in sales due to Mario Galaxy, SSBB, etc., people will continue to buy it alongside more traditional software (as is currently the case with SPM). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it over 3 million by the end of the year (if Wii shipments do finally increase).

I knew I was missing some charts the past few weeks in MC. Glad you're back. I hope you'll have more time to do this week after week.

Damn, Wii Sports is not slowing down at all. It's amazing how closely it mirros the Wii's sales for that particular week, even the slight bumps. I'll echo the sentiment and reiterate my past prediction that it could potentially end up as the best selling game in Japan this gen, worldwide if you count pack ins.

Can you post that other chart demonstrating the attach rate alongside the raw numbers?

Thraktor

chibcicylist said:
I knew I was missing some charts the past few weeks in MC. Glad you're back. I hope you'll have more time to do this week after week.

Damn, Wii Sports is not slowing down at all. It's amazing how closely it mirros the Wii's sales for that particular week, even the slight bumps. I'll echo the sentiment and reiterate my past prediction that it could potentially end up as the best selling game in Japan this gen, worldwide if you count pack ins.

Can you post that other chart demonstrating the attach rate alongside the raw numbers?

Actually, I have been keeping it updated, I just throw the charts up on a fairly irregular basis as it doesn't usually change much from week to week.

As requested, here's the up to date attach rate chart:
wiisportsattach06_05.png

I'm attributing this week's rate to Golden week's apparent tendency to boost software moreso than hardware, so I'd imagine the attach rate (depending on HW shipments) to drop back to ~55% next week.

Unfortunately, while I'd be happy to throw this up on a weekly basis, I'm actually about to request a month-long ban (have some fairly important exams coming up, and GAF is my no. 1 form of procrastination), so you'll have to go without them until late June. For anyone who'd like to keep track while I'm gone, here are the raw numbers thus far:

Code:
Week	Wii Hardware / Week	Wii Sports / Week	Attach Rate / Week		Wii Hardware / LTD	Wii Sports / LTD	Attach Rate / LTD
3-Dec	350358	176167	50.3%		350358	176167	50.3%
10-Dec	85439	72382	84.7%		435797	248549	57.0%
17-Dec	108237	69923	64.6%		544034	318472	58.5%
24-Dec	279277	152756	54.7%		823311	471228	57.2%
31-Dec	96332	95479	99.1%		919643	566707	61.6%
7-Jan	195331	166011	85.0%		1114974	732718	65.7%
14-Jan	93708	61399	65.5%		1208682	794117	65.7%
21-Jan	86395	57418	66.5%		1295077	851535	65.8%
28-Jan	83754	58886	70.3%		1378831	910421	66.0%
4-Feb	65740	48236	73.4%		1444571	958657	66.4%
11-Feb	78550	45897	58.4%		1523121	1004554	66.0%
18-Feb	63618	39128	61.5%		1586739	1043682	65.8%
25-Feb	78506	47053	59.9%		1665245	1090735	65.5%
4-Mar	57972	39639	68.4%		1723217	1130374	65.6%
11-Mar	44495	35298	79.3%		1767712	1165672	65.9%
18-Mar	67070	38560	57.5%		1834782	1204232	65.6%
25-Mar	75571	46362	61.3%		1910353	1250594	65.5%
1-Apr	51365	34527	67.2%		1961718	1285121	65.5%
8-Apr	52583	30807	58.6%		2014301	1315928	65.3%
15-Apr	75759	41035	54.2%		2090060	1356963	64.9%
22-Apr	77913	43822	56.2%		2167973	1400785	64.6%
29-Apr	102522	58026	56.6%		2270495	1458811	64.3%
6-May	101320	84782	83.7%		2371815	1543593	65.1%

apujanata said:
If you wanted to, you can use the data from this site :
http://www.sfoxstudio.com/
It has data from 2000 - 2007. The main difference is that site is following up Famitsu, not M-create. So you might have to create a different chart for Famitsu (it is not a good idea to mix Famitsu and M-create).

Thanks. Yeah, I'd have to create a new chart, but due to the above-mentioned time constraints, and the fact that I don't understand a bit of Japanese, I'll have to leave it for now. If I can I'll throw together a parser when I get back to harvest the data and convert it into all sorts of charty goodness.

Tf53

Jocchan said:
So basically PS3 is selling poorly in Japan because of PantherLotus' bias?
Yes. The next line for Sony fans will be "Wait until PantherLotus starts being a SDF agent instead of a Ntard!"

thaivo

I think WiiSports sales that are associated with the game being packaged with the Wii should be counted too.. I mean, Nintendo isn't giving it out for free. We are (happily) paying an additional $50 for it over what Japan pays for its Wii. With that taken into account, it could easily become the best selling game of this generation.

Vinnk

I'll do another sales report from my town this week. So what games and systems would you like me to look for this time?

Top Bottom