• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Don't think this was in there either. o.o

011_cs1w1_1920x1080.jpg

EDIT - Beaten.

Whompa

I don't even understand how this is a videogame. Some of those images give such huge potential on exploration. If you can traverse this world, it will be awesome.

FF XV cannot afford to do simply well. This is an industry where some games don't have afuture with less than 5 million copies. FF XV needs to do superbly.

Exactly because it is so popular it will be pirated like there is no tomorrow. And when FF XV-2 comes console gamers will simply opt to wait as well for the PC version. Ports right and left reek of desperation and we can sure as hell pick up the scent.
The chance of a PC port being a net loss for SquareEnix is very slim, I would wager. I suppose it is pointless to take guesses at the quality of a potential port, but with PC being the development platform, and the relative prevalence of gamepads, it's not too far of a stretch to think that it could be passable, at least. Especially if Square is serious about improving their image, a solid PC port could be a good way to do it.

I'm not trying to argue that a PC port could never turn out badly, but your post I quoted earlier seemed to imply that a PC port of XV would inherently be a bad thing - that merely the existence of XV on PC would cause irreparable damage to Square and the Final Fantasy brand.

Apoptomon

Serious-face Kingdom. They need 'em some sugar and rainbows. I didn't think they'd change the names much if at all in translation (it's not something they've done all that much lately is it?). Still, these are characters already revealed not that long ago. I want to see more of the world next.
EDIT: those are some nice-lookin' location shots. In the trailer that part with the leviathan-made water storm and all the buildings crashing about looked really busy and somewhat confusing. I wonder how that sequence will play out.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I'm not trying to argue that a PC port could never turn out badly, but your post I quoted earlier seemed to imply that a PC port of XV would inherently be a bad thing - that merely the existence of XV on PC would cause irreparable damage to Square and the Final Fantasy brand.

Right now, I do tend to believe that.

And I didn't say that a possible PC port would do badly. Of course it will bring in money since the game is developed with DX 11 and the port costs will be minimal. But a PC version will hinder console sales, simple as that. And as I said the game does not need to do well, it needs to do FF XIII, VIII, X numbers. The console crowd is the hand feeding SE and I am honestly worried about the future of the franchise.

Exentryk

Not fair that they get some extra footage :|

Also, is there anything else new in that article other than a few screenshots?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nomura confirmed the guy with the red hair in the trailer is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara - as most people expected.

Also, is there anything else new in that article other than a few screenshots?

Only interesting thing of note I can see is the bit where the interview asks about any online support. I think the answer says that they're considering adding a co-op mode and some kind of connectivity with smart phones.

Skilletor

And I didn't say that a possible PC port would do badly. Of course it will bring in money since the game is developed with DX 11 and the port costs will be minimal. But a PC version will hinder console sales, simple as that. And as I said the game does not need to do well, it needs to do FF XIII, VIII, X numbers. The console crowd is the hand feeding SE and I am honestly worried about the future of the franchise.

What does it matter if it's a console sale or a PC sale so long as people buy it?

If it was released on PC, I would buy it there instead of on a console, but it would still be money for SE.

Famassu

It will hinder console sales because some people who would've bought it for consoles would buy the PC version, but it won't stop console-only people from buying it, so there's really no downside. Why would it be? You're painting a majority of FF fans as some kind of brainless fanboys who are emotionally invested in the games staying console exclusive. I hardly understand how that would be the case.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
What does it matter if it's a console sale or a PC sale so long as people buy it?

Do I need to explain how piracy works ?

You're painting a majority of FF fans as some kind of brainless fanboys...

Hold on a sec !

For the past 3 point 5 thousand threads we have been discussing how Square has been losing people's trust. Do you think people will just award them with 7 million sales just like that ? I don't care about a PC version but I am worried.

Exentryk

Only interesting thing of note I can see is the bit where the interview asks about any online support. I think the answer says that they're considering adding a co-op mode and some kind of connectivity with smart phones.

They've talked about considering these social features in earlier interviews I think. I don't know if I am okay with this social nonsense.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In the Dengeki one he talks about the renaming and how due to XIII-2 and now LR... they wanted to avoid confusion since FFXIII was tied to Lightning. Even though it's its own thing now, XV is still part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos. Most of the other information is similar to what Famitsu got.

Whompa

Seems justified. Also VERSUS 13 sounds a little long winded. Type-0 has some mythos tied to the FNC too right? I never got to play that :(

Exentryk

In the Dengeki one he talks about the renaming and how due to XIII-2 and now LR... they wanted to avoid confusion since FFXIII was tied to Lightning. Even though it's its own thing now, XV is still part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos. Most of the other information is similar to what Famitsu got.

Smart move. Are you planning to translate the article and post on your site?

Skilletor

Do I need to explain how piracy works ?

Hold on a sec !

For the past 3 point 5 thousand threads we have been discussing how Square has been losing people's trust. Do you think people will just award them with 7 million sales just like that ? I don't care about a PC version but I am worried.

OH, right, nothing on PC sales because piracy. Got it.

Apoptomon

Yes, it seems like typical FF you will have to fight them before you can use them on your own.
I used Google translate so it might have mangled that article horribly, but does it say something about the summon system having levels and leviathan is big because its the top-level water spell? (Like in FFXII:RW maybe?)

raven777

I used Google translate so it might have mangled that article horribly, but does it say something about the summon system having levels and leviathan is big because its the top-level water spell? (Like in FFXII:RW maybe?)

What they say is that they have different ranks(like hierarchy) among the summons, and Leviathan is one of the highest ranked summon so thats why its so huge

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Smart move. Are you planning to translate the article and post on your site?

Most of the information is similar to what has been reported already, but I'll look through for new stuff. Like was mentioned above, a lot of the things Nomura said about the game in previous years in terms of the story and whatnot seem to be intact.

Gbraga

Do we know if everyone else have nicknames as well? Nokuto is pretty good and Grado would fit really well for Gladiolus, but I'm afraid that if the game does not support dual audio, it will be weird as fuck for us. As I was discussing with Stone Ocean, Noct, Glad, Prom and Ig would be laughable.

Nokuto sounds badass, Noct is lame :(

Exentryk

What they say is that they have different ranks(like hierarchy) among the summons, and Leviathan is one of the highest ranked summon so thats why its so huge

Most of the information is similar to what has been reported already, but I'll look through for new stuff. Like was mentioned above, a lot of the things Nomura said about the game in previous years in terms of the story and whatnot seem to be intact.

Cool! Looks like there is some summon info :D

Skilletor

Don't start that.
This is the third time I will say the obvious. FF XV does not need to sell some copies, it needs to sell a hell lot of copies.

Don't start what? That's what you're saying, right? That piracy on PC will lead to less sales for the console versions?

But that doesn't matter to me. I'm not worried about how many copies this game sales. I care about my experience, an experience that would almost certainly be better with a PC port of the game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm surprised we haven't put the meaning of the Latin names and what they're supposedly referencing in the OP yet.

EDIT: Okay, so I was right a couple weeks ago when I said Ignis' name was a reference to the fire given to man in greek/roman mythology. For those who didn't know it's a reference to Prometheus.

Voror

Was there a system like this before in a previous FF because this sounds familiar for some reason? Still, it does make sense as the lower ranked ones will likely be your initial summons until you are strong enough to gain the higher leveled ones by defeating them.

Wouldn't mind seeing the summons have their own leveling system though.

Don't start that.
This is the third time I will say the obvious. FF XV does not need to sell some copies, it needs to sell a hell lot of copies.
It does, but putting it on PC would serve to grow the fanbase and potential customer base. "Because piracy and upset console gamers!" are not compelling arguments for why a PC version would reduce total copies sold across all platforms and why they should keep it off PC, to me, at least. On Steam, the game would have a massive number of potential customers. Hell, stick some TF2 or DOTA items on the purchase to help move copies.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Koozek

Kinda off-topic but does anybody know if the name "Type-0" has any special meaning? Something story related? It seems quite strange and odd to me^^

Acosta

Am I wrong in thinking the illumination of FF XV is something else? More "natural" than "realistic" and giving the world a nice tone if that makes any sense.

Perhaps I have drank too much of that Luminous Kool-Aid, but the images and videos makes it really, really nice to me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Have these douchebags masqueraded CGI as gameplay? There's a massive graphical difference between these two pictures.

It's been confirmed that there have been a mix of CG and real-time in the trailer. A lot of it is CG. For the screens you posted, the top is CG and bottom is real-time.

raven777

some of the things from that dengeki. could be old info

-they mention how XV will just conclude one story, and keeps talking about sequel of XV possbility.
-the actually mention car and world map. Nomura says how when they were developing for PS3, when you speed up the car during the world map, it gave them trouble.
-mentions about co-op and smartphone/tablet support possibilities.
-Nomura wants to make all the scenes which you don't control the character in pre-render CG, but he knows thats not possible. So they are having visual works(the CG team) make the basis for cutscenes and makes that scene in real-time. Its like how they made Agni's Philosophy.
-the scenes we saw at E3 are using the current rendering engine, but they will shift to Luminous studio.
-they are using lens flare for lock-on.
-the summon stuff I talked about earlier
-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.
-next info likely in TGS.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda off-topic but does anybody know if the name "Type-0" has any special meaning? Something story related? It seems quite strange and odd to me^^

They were supposed to make it a subseries (type-1, type-2) but that probably got canned.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
-the theme for the game is "bond"(Kizuna). The main story is serious, but there will be a lot of humor/comedy in the game.

It's been long since we had humor/comedy in a mainline FF actually... Like more than 10 years long. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom